Need serious help with SUGAR!!!!

Options

Replies

• nancyluckhurst3
    nancyluckhurst3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't dare go near a package of Oreos or it is game over. Put that with a large glass of milk and it gets real ugly. LOL
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Actually, now, looking at the list of courses, none of them seem to be about research in any capacity. Maybe epidemiology, sort of, but not really. None of them have anything to do with clinical research, publication, interpretation of results, etc. They're all simply didactic courses about learning facts, not learning anything about the actual process of science.

Rather than critiquing someone's course load, would it be too much to ask to actually quote the passages from the researchers that you think support your position? For what it's worth, I don't see people misrepresenting what the students that performed the study in question said, at least in their press release. For example, from the professor supervising the research:
    "This correlated well with our behavioral results and lends support to the hypothesis that high-fat/ high sugar foods can be thought of as addictive," said Schroeder.

While I agree the fox news article isn't the best source to cite to, you aren't citing to any source whatsoever. You're simply attacking the person you disagree with and their coursework.

Hahaha exactly. They just LOVE starting drama and picking fights anywhere they find possible. Thanks buddy!

"Jonnythan" or whatever the hell his name is life revolves around attacking me on every single forum possible. It's okay, I've requested he be removed from the site multiple times for not only attacking me, but a number of other individuals who don't agree with his opinions. He simply can't handle people not agreeing with him or not being right for once in his precious life. :)

And yet I'm still here.

You referred to a Fox News post about a press release about an unpublished study without peer review as "scientific proof." I'm not the only one who saw the absurdity of that.

Slap 'em with a Bacon Ranch McDouble Down Johny.... that'll fix 'em.

I was wondering when this would turn to a 'mean people' thread.
  • Binemaja
    Options
    Hi, I also feel like a Sugar Addict . I love Chocolate , Cakes , cookies you name it !
    I know it is a habit, that we can break. I did it once , lost lots of weight but then I fell off the wagon and the habit came back.
    Its easy.
    But now I'm back and I'm hoping to break my habit .
    I started the South Beach Diet, Im in Phase one .
    That Phase helps you to get the cravings in check. I feel that a cup of coffee with half a pack of truvia is helping me to get over
    my craving of having a cookie .Sugar free jello is also a nice substitution.
    I also substitute sweets with a glass of Coke Zero. I know this is not healthy advice but at least I'm not eating .
    I understand how you feel .
    We all have a problem with food . Some less , some more . At the end we need to cheer ourselves on that we can loose all the excess weight.
    We can do it !:flowerforyou:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Actually, now, looking at the list of courses, none of them seem to be about research in any capacity. Maybe epidemiology, sort of, but not really. None of them have anything to do with clinical research, publication, interpretation of results, etc. They're all simply didactic courses about learning facts, not learning anything about the actual process of science.

Rather than critiquing someone's course load, would it be too much to ask to actually quote the passages from the researchers that you think support your position? For what it's worth, I don't see people misrepresenting what the students that performed the study in question said, at least in their press release. For example, from the professor supervising the research:
    "This correlated well with our behavioral results and lends support to the hypothesis that high-fat/ high sugar foods can be thought of as addictive," said Schroeder.

While I agree the fox news article isn't the best source to cite to, you aren't citing to any source whatsoever. You're simply attacking the person you disagree with and their coursework.

Hahaha exactly. They just LOVE starting drama and picking fights anywhere they find possible. Thanks buddy!

"Jonnythan" or whatever the hell his name is life revolves around attacking me on every single forum possible. It's okay, I've requested he be removed from the site multiple times for not only attacking me, but a number of other individuals who don't agree with his opinions. He simply can't handle people not agreeing with him or not being right for once in his precious life. :)

And yet I'm still here.

You referred to a Fox News post about a press release about an unpublished study without peer review as "scientific proof." I'm not the only one who saw the absurdity of that.

Completely offtopic, but since it was requested:

20130926_123628-1_20130926131325730.jpg
  • jonnythan
    Options
    And yet I'm still here.

Sorry I have more important things to do than be a condescending wise guy on MFP forums all day long. I don't have the time to search the internet to get the primary sources just so you can keep quiet and leave me alone.

Seriously. Come on. You referred to a Fox News post about an unpublished, unreviewed press release as "scientific proof." You can't backtrack over that by saying you just don't have the time to actually read any real science.

If you're not going to even make the most cursory attempt at finding a reliable source for a claim, then don't make it and say you have "scientific proof."
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I like sweets too. I just find healthier alternatives that make me happy! Like Skinny Cow!
  • UncertainAngel12
    UncertainAngel12 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This is gonna be a long reply, but please bare with me as I have been through this in a similar environment of having all the goodies around.

Firstly, do not feel too guilty about your sugar addiction. Studies have shown that you can become extremely addicted to sugar as your brain develops a dopamine reaction to ingesting the "rewarding" food. Other addictve foods are cheese and red meat. Have you noticed that a lot of people who struggle with their weight eat a lot from these food groups?

I am also a comfort/stress eater. This is why I think it's great that you acknowledge this. It takes a long time to realise you've not only put on t he weight but WHY.

I would suggest that you put a sticky note on foods at your work or near them saying "not for (insert your name here), if your colleauges are nice ask them to support you in your attempts to stop the snacking at work by getting them to monitor your access to the foods.

If they are a bunch of typical jealous women (which if you work in an office they prob are lol) you will need to monitor this yourself. I used to work in government and it was just female on female sabotage but my one supportive friend at work really helped me by moving the stuff away from my area or asking me how I was feeling in the morning and if I needed a hug.

Every time you go to reach into the jar of lollies or reach for a cookie or chocolate tell yourself firmly that you are worth more than this. That your body is your temple.

Every time someoen tells you that you "deserve it" when they offer you the the lolly/chocolate/cookie/homemade poison smile at them and say "You're right, I do deserve a reward, but I have a better one in mind" and reward yourself by going back to your desk. People WANT YOU TO EAT THE LOLLIES, they are enablers or haters. Good people will shine out like a beacon as you get healthier as they will be the only ones who 'won't comment on you turning down a treat. LATCH ONTO THESE PEOPLE.

Everytime someone says to you "What? Are you on a diet?" or something similar when you say no to the foods just smile and reply "Thank you, but I'm just not hungry". :-)

Finally. I would cut out COLD TURKEY. Why I would do this is the same reason knra_grl stated, if you relapse you are back to square one. Also remember to curb the habit at home by controlling what you put in your trolley.

I have never been a soft drink eater and never liked sweets to be honest. But I did used to have a really bad pasta and shapes habit and the only way to stop was cold turkey. None in the house. EVER. I also had a huge weakness for the chocolates at work and for doughnuts. So what did people start bringing in when they realised I was taking care of myself... watch out for these pitfalls. Ultimately it comes down to your choice, and we all know that you can do it.

I went from about your weight to 55 kilos (approx 135lbs, also 5 foot 4) in only 6 months JUST BY CUTTING OUT THE COMFORT FOOD. I had a ROCKING BODY. Sadly I RELAPSED. In fact I have seen many girls I know go on diets and I will say one thing which I repeat to any I catch in the habit:

If you cut out softdrink and lollies COMPLETELY you will notice a difference within a month. One month. Noticeable difference.

You can do this, stay strong :-) Also remember you're still a young one yet :-P
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

And yet I'm still here.

Sorry I have more important things to do than be a condescending wise guy on MFP forums all day long. I don't have the time to search the internet to get the primary sources just so you can keep quiet and leave me alone.

aren't you the debunked health professional from the ketone thread?
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I posted something almost identical to this!!

I struggle too!! My husband makes fun because I'll put down an entire container of Oreos of box of donut holes, or a bag of marshamallows. It has begun to mess with my body though after all these years.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1169928-shaking-blood-sugar-crash

I'm also a stress eater! Probably why I started buying 2-3 chocolate bars and inhale them every afternoon at work.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    If it matters, Jonnythan. You're ma hero.
  • jonnythan
    Options

And yet I'm still here.

aren't you the debunked health professional from the ketone thread?

Yes, the "health professional" who has been 110 lbs 15% body fat all her life, but is now 25-28% body fat with 50 lbs to lose. Her dad is a doctor, and she's an undergrad who got a cert as a radiation therapist. And just look at all those science courses she's taken. Her team of doctors all told her to take raspberry ketones.

I want it to be clear that these statements are all virtually verbatim things that she's told us in the past couple of days. Unfortunately the threads are gone, otherwise I'd just link to them.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I was in the same position, so I went off sugar completely for 10 days. And I mean completely! Not sugar in coffee, no fruit, no sweeteners, no cereal with sugar in it (inc dried fruit), nothing. It was tough, I wanted to mame someone. When I started reintroducing sugars, i started with fruit. Then when I treated myself to a lolly, I had one and it was so disgustingly sweet I didn't want another.

Now a month later I can't eat anywhere near the amount of sugar that I used to, it makes me feel sick, gives me headaches etc and it just tastes way to sweet. Its like I've 'reset' my tastebuds as I was immune to it before.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Do I quit cold turkey?? Is this to be looked at as any other addiction?

I have to. This is my second time going cold turkey off refined sugar. I am in my 3rd week. I can't say I don't MISS it, but I am not craving it. In my case, it is definitely an addiction. And being a diabetic, its a dangerous one.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Can there just be a rule that whenever someone used the term "addiction" that they put it in quotations or say a it is a psychological addiction or feels like an addiction, or for not better word, it is an so-called "addiction'? Or can we be kind and just ASSUME that is what they meant???? The discussions on this board about ADDICTION as in the DSM V Substance Use and Addictive Disorders definitions is inane, full of misconceptions and inaccuracy and has NOTHING to do with weight gain, loss, lean body mass, fat, love or sugar or fast food or otherwise. BTW though, they do concede there is probably a caffeine addiction, but they aren't addressing it in V.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Check this out!
    Its about my / our dopamine sugar addiction!

http://ed.ted.com/lessons/how-sugar-affects-the-brain-nicole-avena
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I had a Skinny Cow ice cream once and it was insulting how bad it tasted.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I kind of like skinny cow. I think the mint ice cream sammies rock. But I am NOT addicted.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Alcoholics are given sugar when they have the DTs because it is the sugar in the alcohol that their bodies are craving.

Pretty sure it's the alcohol.

Caffeine is also used in alcohol detox, and there ain't much of that in alcohol.

Gee whiz.
    I was talking about ACTIVE alcoholics I have known in my life, when they were not drinking, they were eating things like candy, ice cream, etc.

Most alcoholics don't drink 24/7, the ones I have known eat sugar on the "off" days.

I wasn't replying to anything you posted, so I have no idea what you were referring to.

The reason alcoholics get dips in blood sugar when they stop drinking is that the body ceases to maintain normal blood glucose levels when it tries to rid itself of alcohol. This is also why most people will binge eat after consuming large amounts of alcohol.

Thank you for clarifying that. When someone mentioned this, I was curious as to why ehh hemmm....some alcoholics that I know of, always eat tons of sweet things when they're not drinking. Although, I didn't think it was because they were addicted to sugar instead of alcohol... lolz
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

And yet I'm still here.

Just put him on ignore. It's the little arrow under his avatar.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

And yet I'm still here.

Completely offtopic, but since it was requested:

20130926_123628-1_20130926131325730.jpg

4d23b-719_Fist_of_an_Angry_God.jpg