Need serious help with SUGAR!!!!

Options

Replies

• chance6997
    Options
    I found that chewing sugarless gum helped me. Gave me that little "sugar high" and curbed the sugar cravings.
  • Nettabee
    Nettabee Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I claim to be no diet guru, nor have I taken many science course but I found this interesting.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/139/3/623.full

I just know when it comes to me, myself, and I, I can cut some things out cold turkey for weeks, even months and add them back in slowly if I so desire. Other things, whether pyschologically or physcially, are just hard to give up. It probably does come down to some sort of lack in nutrients/vitamin.....

In other news....Can't we all just get along? lol
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Show me someone that goes through withdrawal symptoms similar to drug or alcohol addicts and watch them be "detoxed" and then MAYBE i will consider food addiction a real thing.

Why would the symptoms have to similar or as severe? Giving up smoking does not have similar symptoms to a heroin addict giving up heroin, yet few would argue that both were addictions.

Few would argue? Anyone "in the know" would agree that nicotine addiction is more severe than heroin addiction. Nicotine is the most difficult drug to quit. In fact, NIDA used to have a chart on this...

That was more or less my point. They are both addictive, but the reactions are not similar.

I don't really have an opinion on whether one can be addicted to sugar other than I doubt there is sufficient research for anyone to say deifinitively one way or the other.

They have been trying for decades to prove that sugar is addictive and have been unable to do so without intellectual dishonesty. :ohwell:

If they could definitvely say "No, not addictive" why would the studies continue? Although the move is away from saying anything is an "addiction" to saying "dependence".

Because they are after federal funding. The food nazis won't stop, only multiply.

food nazis?? :huh:

Researchers want to be published. To be known. Whatever the funding source, they research something hoping they will be the one to find something no one else has found. If they are studying sugar or food addictions, they are not positive they won't find anything.

The university that was cited in the Fox News article is not getting published. The intellectually dishonest ones will NOT get published in respected journals. They are after money and control.

Food nazis are folks like the Center for Science in the Public Interest. They are statist-types who are more interested in controlling the lifestyle of others than they are in science or facts.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Researchers want to be published. To be known. Whatever the funding source, they research something hoping they will be the one to find something no one else has found. If they are studying sugar or food addictions, they are not positive they won't find anything.

They just hope to find something. Many, many discoveries that have brought about major changes were not the intended result or even the subject of the research. That does not mean that studying a possible sugar addiction means they believe there is such a thing. It means someone will pay them to research it, and any research is more likely to get them noticed than none.

^^^
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I believe it's the PERSON who has an addictive personality/tendencies that causes them to be addicted to drugs/alcohol/food etc... Not the substance itself.

Sugar even affects the same "feel-good" brain hormones as street drugs. Nobody would say sugar is the same as heroin, but it can still mess with your brain and body.

Sugar fuels every cell in the brain. When you overload on sugary foods, it may alter the parts of the brain that control how much you eat. In lab studies, rats that binged on sugar had brain changes like those of getting off drugs. In humans, just seeing pictures of milkshakes triggered brain effects like those seen in drug addicts. It was strongest in women whose answers showed they were more hooked on eating.

Can you beat your sugar habit by quitting cold turkey? Some sugar detox plans urge you to avoid all sweets. That means all fruit, dairy, and refined grains. The idea is to purge your system of sugar. Diet changes like this are too drastic to keep up. Changes that you can do only for the short term mean you'll fall back to your old habits.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-sugar-addiction

So does sex, video games, sports, hugs from a good friend, etc.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

Nobody would say sugar is the same as heroin

Sorry, but someone did.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175679-sugar-aligned-with-alcohol-and-cocaine?hl=sugar+heroin#posts-18365065
    Can't we all just get along? lol

No.
  • poodle417
    Options
    It only takes 21 days to form a habit...stop eating sugar cold turkey and by day 21 you won't even crave them anymore! That's what I've been doing and it's definitely working :)
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    I believe it's the PERSON who has an addictive personality/tendencies that causes them to be addicted to drugs/alcohol/food etc... Not the substance itself.

Sugar even affects the same "feel-good" brain hormones as street drugs. Nobody would say sugar is the same as heroin, but it can still mess with your brain and body.

Sugar fuels every cell in the brain. When you overload on sugary foods, it may alter the parts of the brain that control how much you eat. In lab studies, rats that binged on sugar had brain changes like those of getting off drugs. In humans, just seeing pictures of milkshakes triggered brain effects like those seen in drug addicts. It was strongest in women whose answers showed they were more hooked on eating.

Can you beat your sugar habit by quitting cold turkey? Some sugar detox plans urge you to avoid all sweets. That means all fruit, dairy, and refined grains. The idea is to purge your system of sugar. Diet changes like this are too drastic to keep up. Changes that you can do only for the short term mean you'll fall back to your old habits.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-sugar-addiction

So does sex, video games, sports, hugs from a good friend, etc.

Nope. No video games.

More room for the rest. :happy:
  • Sztheday
    Sztheday Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    daelkin - I've also always been addicted to sweets. I don't know much about the science, but for me it's an addiction. Like you, I've noticed the same thing with dark chocolate. I eat less, feel satiated faster and curb other cravings when I've had several pieces of dark chocolate, mainly during/near TOM.

Good luck achieving your goals!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Yes and YES. I battle too and you have to go cold turkey and never look back. Look at it as a cocaine addiction. Do it once and you are back in your cycle. Trust me. It will take a week or two, but you will notice your whole frame of mind change, you will become more peaceful and the cravings will go away. That means the white breads and stuff like that too. Don't even go there.

NO and NO …cocaine addiction ??? come on people…its just sugar…geez….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP if you are not going to eat any "sugar" because you are "addicted" to it ..you do realize that you can no carbohydrates, honey, fruit, etc, because all these things have the evil sugar molecule..

a more sensible approach would be to go 80/20…80% healthy, 20% whatever you want = cookies, donuts, ice cream et…

oh and eat in a calorie deficit, hit macros, work out move more, and you will lose weight.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I completely understand where you are coming from.

I have ALWAYS been addicted to sweets/chocolate. I am serious when I say addicted. I truly believe it's an addiction.

I have found that dark chocolate keeps me from eating the whole bag (lol, yes that has happened) It's much richer and I
    am satisfied after a couple of pcs.

That has helped curb my cravings. That doesn't mean I am not prone to giving in and eating a pc of chocolate cake. But
    it has helped on a day to day basis to reduce the amount I indulge in.

addicted to sugar, but eats dark chocolate which contains sugar *mindblown*
  • Gemmz2014
    Gemmz2014 Posts: 220
    Options
    OP if you are not going to eat any "sugar" because you are "addicted" to it ..you do realize that you can no carbohydrates, honey, fruit, etc, because all these things have the evil sugar molecule..

a more sensible approach would be to go 80/20…80% healthy, 20% whatever you want = cookies, donuts, ice cream et…

oh and eat in a calorie deficit, hit macros, work out move more, and you will lose weight.

You don't get it. I'm not referring to fruits. I can eat a piece of fruit and be happy. I'm talking about junk food. Why do some people have to make such a simple topic so complicated?
  • Gemmz2014
    Options
    It only takes 21 days to form a habit...stop eating sugar cold turkey and by day 21 you won't even crave them anymore! That's what I've been doing and it's definitely working :)

I am going to do this!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

You don't get it. I'm not referring to fruits. I can eat a piece of fruit and be happy. I'm talking about junk food. Why do some people have to make such a simple topic so complicated?

Your problem isn't sugar - it's certain types of foods that happen to contain sugar. I don't think you said you were addicted to sugar, but many others in this thread said that they were.

You, and the others who think they're addicted to sugar, have a self-control problem with certain sweet foods. This is evidenced by, among other things, the fact that you don't have a problem with other foods containing lots of sugar, such as fruit.
  • ndj1979
    Options

its complicated to eat in a calorie deficit, hit macros, and work out is complicated…but a sugar detox is easy? Really?

also - fruit has sugar in it! So if you are doing a 21 day sugar detox and eating fruit, you are not detoxing anything…why is that so hard to understand?
  • Greytfish
    Options

Because it's not logic. What you describe is not a sugar addiction but a junk food habit.
  • Gemmz2014
    Options

Because it's not logic. What you describe is not a sugar addiction but a junk food habit.

When have I ever once said I have a sugar "addiction"??
  • Gemmz2014
    Options

its complicated to eat in a calorie deficit, hit macros, and work out is complicated…but a sugar detox is easy? Really?

also - fruit has sugar in it! So if you are doing a 21 day sugar detox and eating fruit, you are not detoxing anything…why is that so hard to understand?

Omg, some people. I will do this on my own. Don't lose any sleep over it. :wink:
  • Greytfish
    Options
    When have I ever once said I have a sugar "addiction"??
    I have battled sweets all my life. It wasn't so bad when I was in my teens and eating a bag of oreos because I was skinny!! Now I'm FAT. 5'3 and 185lbs AND almost 50! I am a sugar-aholic. I love cookies, donuts, cakes, brownies, not just one piece and walk happily away either. I have to eat it until they are done.

I am worse now than I have ever been. Being a stress eater doesn't help since my job is very stressful and there is crap to eat everywhere!!

I've tried just limiting myself to a "serving" so I get my sweets without feeling deprived but it never seems to work.

Do I quit cold turkey?? Is this to be looked at as any other addiction?

Thank you all in advance.