Need serious help with SUGAR!!!!

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Okay let me ask this:

A person who is addicted to say cocaine or heroin, would use dirty needles or unsanitary conditions even if it meant harming their life to get their fix.

If I sprinkled sugar on dog poo, and a sugar "addict" didn't get their fix today, you think they'd eat it? Apparently there are some who are comparing sugar "addiction" to that of cocaine and heroin, so speak up.

Waiting to hear from "addicts" that would.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Fancy the pants off :laugh:

Okay, so I'm secretly binging and Channing Tatum walks in, yes, I would stop and I would hide it! Why? How embarrassing is that? Now if I were 125 lbs and binging, I don't know if I would be as embarrassed.

Right. What Mr Tatum does is to bring you consciously back into the moment and you realise "I don't want to do this right now."

What this tells us is that if you feel a compulsion to eat you can take a step back consciously, stop and say "this isn't what I want to do." However what is also important is that you say to yourself that you make the choice not to do so and understand what the reward is for pursuing that course of action (higher self esteem, better mood, better energy etc) rather than the "reward" you get from binging. Over time you will create an aversion to binging and replace it with an attraction to more psoitive outcomes.

This is a (very) simplified version of one method you can use to get binging under control depending on its severity.

So I need to take a step back and discount all the voices in my head that tell me to indulge. It's what I do daily but the voices always win.

In all seriousness, you might want to consider therapy. If you can't overcome the compulsions on your own, there's no shame in enlisting the help of an expert whose job is to help people change their behaviors.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    It's interesting you mention "perfectionist" mindset. I am like that with documenting my calories as well. I'm constantly starting over or looking for better ways/methods of documenting. I am only this way when it comes to dieting.

That's because traditional "dieting" is next to useless as a weight loss tool and dieting mentality sets people up to fail. All it does is make people fatter over time.

Arbitrary restriction, deprivation, fear, guilt and shame are poor foundations to build and long and healthy relationship with food or your body. It just doesn't work over the long term.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Really IMO to fix this sugar "addiction" all one needs to do is eat this:

bacon.jpg

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Gemmz2014
    Gemmz2014 Posts: 220
    Options
    Okay let me ask this:

A person who is addicted to say cocaine or heroin, would use dirty needles or unsanitary conditions even if it meant harming their life to get their fix.

If I sprinkled sugar on dog poo, and a sugar "addict" didn't get their fix today, you think they'd eat it? Apparently there are some who are comparing sugar "addiction" to that of cocaine and heroin, so speak up.

IDEA Fitness member

Now there's a very interesting way of looking at it. I'm Impressed.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Really IMO to fix this sugar "addiction" all one needs to do is eat this:

bacon.jpg

IDEA Fitness member

Throw in some toast and Sunnyside up eggs and I'm so in!
  • Gemmz2014
    Gemmz2014 Posts: 220
    Options

Okay, so I'm secretly binging and Channing Tatum walks in, yes, I would stop and I would hide it! Why? How embarrassing is that? Now if I were 125 lbs and binging, I don't know if I would be as embarrassed.

Right. What Mr Tatum does is to bring you consciously back into the moment and you realise "I don't want to do this right now."

What this tells us is that if you feel a compulsion to eat you can take a step back consciously, stop and say "this isn't what I want to do." However what is also important is that you say to yourself that you make the choice not to do so and understand what the reward is for pursuing that course of action (higher self esteem, better mood, better energy etc) rather than the "reward" you get from binging. Over time you will create an aversion to binging and replace it with an attraction to more psoitive outcomes.

This is a (very) simplified version of one method you can use to get binging under control depending on its severity.

So I need to take a step back and discount all the voices in my head that tell me to indulge. It's what I do daily but the voices always win.

In all seriousness, you might want to consider therapy. If you can't overcome the compulsions on your own, there's no shame in enlisting the help of an expert whose job is to help people change their behaviors.

I've already started :smile:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    "Yes, you can get addicted to sugar, sweet foods, and white-flour products (which your body responds to as if they were sugars). This addiction is physiological and affects the same biochemical systems in your body that are affected by addictive drugs like morphine and heroin.

You can actually get "high" on sugar. Eating it can make you feel euphoric immediately. If you don't have your regular sugar "fix," you can experience withdrawal symptoms, such as irritability, headaches, and other flu-like symptoms. Your body can become physiologically dependent upon the effect the sugars have on you."

Here is the link to the rest of the article: http://www.radiantrecovery.com/addicted.htm

I wish that were true. Sugar is a lot cheaper than street drugs. :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Okay let me ask this:

IDEA Fitness member

Great point, niner!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

That reminds me of the scene in the film "Trainspotting" when Renton drops his drugs down the toilet in a club which hasn't been cleaned in an eternity and he goes about retrieving them...
  • mpcarlson89
    Options
    Hello!

I know what you mean - I CANNOT have snack foods around the house at ALL or I will eat the entire supply in a day or two (luckily my husband is the same way, so he doesn't have a problem with that). We just don't keep it in the house because we know the temptation is too great!

I used to buy and consume entire boxes of pop-tarts in one night. It's not that I would plan to eat the whole box - it would just sort of happen. When I would crave sugar, and I knew it was there, it was like I would get extreme anxiety about it - I couldn't calm down. And knowing that I had a box of sweet cereal in the cupboard? Or a bag of cookies? Forget about it! I could not calm down until I had eaten to the point of being sick. I knew then that was a problem, and it was a problem for a long time.

About 2 or 3 years ago, I finally realized something very important. You eat to LIVE - you don't live to EAT... I was living to eat. I realized that a HUGE amount of stress and anxiety that I felt in my everyday life was centered around food. Well that didn't make sense at all! Food is for survival - there are people who do not have the luxury of knowing where their next meal is coming from, and I am so lucky and blessed to know that I am not going to go hungry.

What I would suggest for you:

DO NOT STARVE YOURSELF - When you don't keep yourself satisfied, your body betrays you and wants quick energy ASAP (this means carbs - sugar) Filling up your belly with good foods will keep cravings down :)

WEIGH OUT YOUR OPTIONS - For example: you could either have a 6" subway sandwich OR two chocolate chip cookies for roughly the same amount of calories. The thing about it is - it is YOUR CHOICE - you can have EITHER, it's up to you! Knowing that you are in control when it comes to the choices is the best thing. There is no wrong answer. It is just "what would you rather have for the same amount?" One may be more filling, but maybe you would rather indulge. Totally fine!

KEEP SWEETS OUT OF THE HOUSE except for special occasions, and keep plenty of fruit around to satisfy your sweet-tooth in times of dire need (raspberries are great! Also granny smith apples with 2 tbsp. peanut butter - SO good!).

DO NOT DEPRIVE YOURSELF - But make your splurges count. AKA: DO NOT buy a box of pop-tarts and eat them alone at home in the dark. GO OUT FOR DESSERT INSTEAD! Have a delicious piece of chocolate cake and ENJOY EVERY BITE OF IT! :) Making yourself feel guilty about it will just add to the stress you already feel and make you crave MORE sugar.

BONUS: Share your dessert with a friend! It is a fun chat with someone you like AND only HALF the calories! ;)

DRINK LOTS OF WATER! This will keep your stomach fuller. You won't feel you need to eat as much, and it will keep your body better balanced.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I've already started :smile:

Best of luck to you. You can do this.
  • alicebot
    alicebot Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown that sugar can be as addictive as drugs! You can google that. That being said, try to enjoy in moderation. Don't go cold turkey on it, or else any excuse can make you binge. treat yourself.. like I try to take one donut a month, a piece of chocolate(really tiny one) at the end of the day someday, three teaspoons of icecream when I crave it? It is really hard in the beginning, but slowly you get the hang of it, you'd be able to enjoy and stay in control as well.

Hope this helps!:flowerforyou:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown that sugar can be as addictive as drugs! You can google that. That being said, try to enjoy in moderation. Don't go cold turkey on it, or else any excuse can make you binge. treat yourself.. like I try to take one donut a month, a piece of chocolate(really tiny one) at the end of the day someday, three teaspoons of icecream when I crave it? It is really hard in the beginning, but slowly you get the hang of it, you'd be able to enjoy and stay in control as well.

Can you post said studies? inb4rodentstudies
  • stefanieraya
    stefanieraya Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Acg67 --> Watch the documentary Hungry for Change. It's on Netflix.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I don't think Netflix qualifies as a "scholarly source"....
  • Acg67
    Options

With gems like this, "It’s not fat that makes you fat, it’s sugar that makes you fat."

LMAO, sounds like only the truly ignorant would get something from that propaganda
  • jonnythan
    Options

Documentaries have agendas, and Hungry For Change is no different. It's not an unbiased literature review. Hungry For Change has been pretty thoroughly debunked.

Don't get your information from "documentaries." They are inherently highly biased. This applies to all documentaries. They're movies, not sciecne.
  • alicebot
    alicebot Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Here you go:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/connie-bennett/the-rats-who-preferred-su_b_712254.html
    Here is also a detailed pdf: http://meagherlab.tamu.edu/M-Meagher/Grad Health Psyc 2012/Class 5 Addiction/Avena Food addiction review 2010.pdf
    http://www.philmaffetone.com/sugar-addictio

• Acg67
    Options
    Here you go:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/connie-bennett/the-rats-who-preferred-su_b_712254.html
    Here is also a detailed pdf: http://meagherlab.tamu.edu/M-Meagher/Grad Health Psyc 2012/Class 5 Addiction/Avena Food addiction review 2010.pdf
    http://www.philmaffetone.com/sugar-addictio

I think you forgot to mention that sugar can be as addictive as drugs in rodents, as that is what the links you've provided support.

From your very first link

"What this review demonstrates is that rats with intermittent access to food and a sugar solution can show both a constellation of behaviors and parallel brain changes that are characteristic of rats that voluntarily self-administer addictive drugs. '

So enlightening