Need serious help with SUGAR!!!!

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Here you go:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/connie-bennett/the-rats-who-preferred-su_b_712254.html
    Here is also a detailed pdf: http://meagherlab.tamu.edu/M-Meagher/Grad Health Psyc 2012/Class 5 Addiction/Avena Food addiction review 2010.pdf
    http://www.philmaffetone.com/sugar-addictio
    Studies have shown that sugar can be as addictive as drugs! You can google that. That being said, try to enjoy in moderation. Don't go cold turkey on it, or else any excuse can make you binge. treat yourself.. like I try to take one donut a month, a piece of chocolate(really tiny one) at the end of the day someday, three teaspoons of icecream when I crave it? It is really hard in the beginning, but slowly you get the hang of it, you'd be able to enjoy and stay in control as well.

Hope this helps!:flowerforyou:

Can you post said studies? inb4rodentstudies

So there's some evidence that rats can display some elements of dependence on sugar. And fat.

So........
  • clayfield0813
    clayfield0813 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I too have battled with sweets all my life. It is a habit, for me. It's like I have to have it. It makes me feel better. I am currently trying to work on it. I figure I am almost 30 years old, I don't have forever to work on this...I need some support, and you do too. You are not alone on this.
  • alicebot
    alicebot Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    There is no end to arguments, I read a lot about this, forwarded from a friend studying genetics, PHD?
    So, well, there can be speculations....that's a part of any new experiment..

Rodents have always been used to test medicines, lab experiments etc.
    "Rodents are used as models in medical testing is that their genetic, biological and behavior characteristics closely resemble those of humans, and many symptoms of human conditions can be replicated in mice and rats. "Rats and mice are mammals that share many processes with humans and are appropriate for use to answer many research questions:.

^^that?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    There is no end to arguments, I read a lot about this, forwarded from a friend studying genetics, PHD?

"Rodents are used as models in medical testing is that their genetic, biological and behavior characteristics closely resemble those of humans, and many symptoms of human conditions can be replicated in mice and rats. "Rats and mice are mammals that share many processes with humans and are appropriate for use to answer many research questions:.

^^that?

So if you starve humans for roughly 3-5 days then give them ad lib access to sugar it might have addictive properties? Sounds like something that happens in the real world
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Like the studies on rats that have been given tumours, and then "scientists" stuff them full of GMOs, and nothing else, for weeks and then publish an alarmist weak correlation study that implies there's a connection between GMOs and the fact these rats exhibited tumour growth?
  • jonnythan
    Options

^^that?

And yet the vast majority of drugs that get past the rodent stage never pan out in human testing. Odd, that.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I also have the sweet tooth from hell (I could eat jelly beans all day long, and wash 'em down with Coke). For some reason, 'tho, a fruit smoothie seems to do a pretty good job of satisfying whatever it is in me that craves sweets. I'll usually have a fruit smoothie for breakfast, and if another after dinner if I'm craving dessert. Can't say it would work for you, but something to keep in mind.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

If I sprinkled sugar on dog poo, and a sugar "addict" didn't get their fix today, you think they'd eat it? Apparently there are some who are comparing sugar "addiction" to that of cocaine and heroin, so speak up.

That reminds me of the scene in the film "Trainspotting" when Renton drops his drugs down the toilet in a club which hasn't been cleaned in an eternity and he goes about retrieving them...

Yep, yep. That was an awesome movie, btw.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    It would be too easy to say that one's willpower is lacking their ability to keep their hands out of the cookie jar, wouldn't it? Maybe if we sat some Twinkies does in the center of a bear tap. .. I would bet one could resist.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Studies have shown that sugar can be as addictive as drugs! You can google that. That being said, try to enjoy in moderation. Don't go cold turkey on it, or else any excuse can make you binge. treat yourself.. like I try to take one donut a month, a piece of chocolate(really tiny one) at the end of the day someday, three teaspoons of icecream when I crave it? It is really hard in the beginning, but slowly you get the hang of it, you'd be able to enjoy and stay in control as well.

Hope this helps!:flowerforyou:

Can you post said studies? inb4rodentstudies

Acg67 --> Watch the documentary Hungry for Change. It's on Netflix.

I don't think Netflix qualifies as a "scholarly source"....

Wut? I got my PhD from Netflix documentaries. I is a smarty!
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

^^that?

And yet the vast majority of drugs that get past the rodent stage never pan out in human testing. Odd, that.

And yet they still test on rodents. There's a big difference between saying a test is inconclusive for how a substance affects humans and saying a test is completely worthless or irrelevant to how a substance affects humans. If it was the latter, they would stop testing on rodents. In short, there are plenty of tests that do suggest at least the potential for addiction-like behavior with regard to sugar. Does this mean sugar should be considered equivalent to heroin? Of course not. But at the same time, such studies shouldn't be dismissed outright simply because they involve rodents.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    It would be too easy to say that one's willpower is lacking their ability to keep their hands out of the cookie jar, wouldn't it? Maybe if we sat some Twinkies does in the center of a bear tap. .. I would bet one could resist.

It may sound easy, but learning for oneself and doing it isn't actually easy. (especially the first 3 weeks)
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options

With gems like this, "It’s not fat that makes you fat, it’s sugar that makes you fat."

LMAO, sounds like only the truly ignorant would get something from that propaganda

So wait, you think that dietary fat is worse than sugar?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

With gems like this, "It’s not fat that makes you fat, it’s sugar that makes you fat."

LMAO, sounds like only the truly ignorant would get something from that propaganda

Yes that is exactly what I meant. Wait, how did you even draw that conclusion from my statement?
  • jonnythan
    Options

Why does any particular macronutrient have to be "bad"?
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    I was curious and did a search for sugar addiction. I like to read. First search that caught my attention was a sight that would allow me take a quiz to find out if I am addicted to sugar.Took quiz and answered honestly. After wards I was told that I didn't have an addiction to sugar(DUH), but here is the funny part, a book was recommended and that I could benefit from it's knowledge on sugar consumption. Didn't I just take a quiz and didn't it say I was not an addict? So confused right now:huh:
  • rejectuf
    Options

Yes that is exactly what I meant. Wait, how did you even draw that conclusion from my statement?

Your dismissal of that quote seems to suggest you think that fat is more harmful than sugar. Sorry if I misinterpreted.
  • rejectuf
    Options
    Why does any particular macronutrient have to be "bad"?

I don't consider sugar to be a macronutrient. In my opinion, it should be avoided as much as possible in it's refined forms. When taken in via fruit and whole foods that have fiber and other health benefits, it's fine in moderation.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    My ex had zero self control sometimes. I mean, if we went to a bar, I could have one or two drinks and he would not stop chugging down the alcohol until he was stinking drunk. Then he would get mad when it was time to go. Usually cursed at the bartender when he told him it was closing time. What a jerk!
    When we got home, that was when he really got mean. Don't even want to go into what the rest of the night included.

People said he was addicted to alcohol, but that is BS because he could go for several days without it and he wouldn't DIE. I mean, seriously, all he needed to do was learn to drink in moderation. I mean, how hard is it just to have one or two drinks then quit? He would get so mad at me because I could have only one or two drinks, or even not drink at all if I wanted to. It just wasn't that hard to do. Guess I just have more self control than he does.

Going cold turkey without it would be a bad idea, because that would just make him want it more. We all know that when you deprive yourself of something you enjoy, it just causes cravings for it.

If he was truly addicted to alcohol, then his body would die if he stopped drinking, right?

How hard is it to learn to have something in moderation?

Even losing 3 wives, kids, several jobs, car, license, etc, was not enough motivation for him to learn moderation.

Guess some people are just too weak minded. :wink:
  • lise1212
    Options
    Had a sweet tooth my entire life. . . .so I relate. . . when Im craving sugar. . .I go for Oranges, apples, pineapple instead. . . they have the sugar but are healthier and less calories, plus fiber and nutrients that cookies, cakes don't have.