Need serious help with SUGAR!!!!

Options

Replies

• CDT12000
    CDT12000 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn1cI8FNU6M

This is a good video about sugar addiction. Any thoughts?

Also, The video by Dr. Lustig called Sugar, the Bitter Truth was so full of shocking truth that most have never heard (and, NO it is not about insulin spikes!) Take a look if you have an hour and a half to invest in yourself. This video cured me from my sugar addiction, immediately! (The really interesting stuff starts about 20 minutes in so wait for it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Lustig

Anytime it seems like we might just be getting somewhere.... someone has to come along and do this.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    my point to the OP is that crack and cocaine are both cocaine, so how could you be addicted to crack, but not cocaine..which is the same as saying I am addicted to processed sugar, but I can eat fruit and honey all day with no problem….

Am I the OP??? I'm really confused now.

Why do we keep going in circles? How am I supposed to answer why I can eat fruit and honey in a sensible amount but not cakes and ice cream? That's why I am here! I came here for help with sweets and why I get out of control with them.

because you do not have a sugar addiction ..

you have an overeating problem

sorry to be blunt...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Also, The video by Dr. Lustig called Sugar, the Bitter Truth was so full of shocking truth that most have never heard (and, NO it is not about insulin spikes!) Take a look if you have an hour and a half to invest in yourself. This video cured me from my sugar addiction, immediately! (The really interesting stuff starts about 20 minutes in so wait for it)

is it shocking truth because the book title is "bitter truth"

lolz ...
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story, Sloth. You're an interesting case study :tongue:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options

Why do we keep going in circles? How am I supposed to answer why I can eat fruit and honey in a sensible amount but not cakes and ice cream? That's why I am here! I came here for help with sweets and why I get out of control with them.
    Because cake and ice cream are very palatable. It's easy to get out of control with things that taste good. I can put away a whole box of "Chicken in a Biscuit" within a matter of minutes if I didn't care about using up calories.
    It really does come down to habit forming. Eat one scoop of ice cream and that's it. No really that's it, till at least the next day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Have an operation to remove taste buds. End of problem.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I this debate has been better than most. And have some great personal experiences. I do wish people would leave emotions out of it and keep an open mind but I guess at some point we all get caught up. I know for me, sugar would never be an issue, its meat. I love wings, steak, and burgers.. this is why I would lean and have stressed palatable foods as the issue not sugar. In fact, my friend and I have had this discussion a few times and the one area we notice or conclude is the "desired" foods seem to vary by sex too. Men tend to love salty treats while women love carb heavy sweets. This of course is an observation, not science.

Now to help the op, I personally suggest if a specific food causes a trigger, then eliminate it. Not because you are addicted but rather you adhere to your caloric intake. Now we can debate for year whether its addiction or type of eating disorder. In the end, eliminating the variable might be best.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

If given a choice between a pharmaceutical and cannabis, I would have him stick with cannabis. He is doing better now than he has in a very long time, even has a part-time job now. :bigsmile:

ETA: And I think anti-psychotics are WAY over-prescribed anyway, same as anti-depressants and anti-biotics.

But, that's not the case for someone who is biploar or schizophrenic or has other pervasive psychiatric disorders.

Part of the problem is our "quick fix" society and part of the problem is that people without psychiatric training are permitted to initially prescribe psych meds, don't know how to titrate them, and do not require counseling. PCPs don't know near enough to be prescribing psych meds as they do.

A pill can't be titrated like cannabis can. And too much can be a serious problem, just as rapid withdrawal can be a problem. Cannabis is the safest therapeutic substance ever known. Also, I see bi-polar as being more similar to ADHD than to schizophrenia.

For example, when I was trying to get ADHD meds, the shrink wanted to give me a med that is supposed to prevent hallucinations. I'm like, "I don't have any hallucinations." And the shrink is like, "Well, we have to make sure you aren't psychotic before I can trust a doctor's diagnosis from a decade ago."

So I left. I went to my primary doctor, and he gave me anti-depressants instead, which made my ADHD *worse* instead of better.

I gave up. I haven't taken any ADHD meds in twenty years now. I *did* go for counseling. This was back when my employer paid for it. My counselor helped me more than any drug ever could. He gave me a LOT of helpful tips on using ADHD to my advantage instead of letting it control my life and screw up my employment, which is basically what had been happening. I had been self-medicating with street drugs and ended up just partying through the weekend and then always sleeping at work and such. I still say a small dose of Methylphenidate on a daily basis would do me a world of good, but for some reason, it's only deemed safe for children with ADHD. Once you are an adult, Methylphenidate is suddenly dangerous. *eye roll*

(One more interesting note: My brother had originally been diagnosed ADHD as a kid, but then when he hit puberty, the quack shrink decided he was bi-polar instead. So who knows?)
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    If he does not have health insurance and he has a valid bi-polar diagnosis and does not have significant assesst he can fairly easily obtain the medication through a community or pharmacetuical company assistance program, almost always without cost. But, cannabis is contraindicated with psychotropic drugs commonly used to treat bi-polar, and that will normally be enough to disqualify him from medication and some treatment programs.

Right with the laws like they are, he is damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't. Our health care is SO effed up in America. (My husband is having problems too. He uses cannabis to keep his Crohn's in remission, but when his sciatica begins to act up, his usage prevents him from having prescription pain meds. It's frustrating.)

It's not the laws, it's biology. Marijuana is contraindicated medically with both narcotics and most of the bipolar medications. With narcotics you run the risk of potentiating them, especially since the THC levels can't be well measured. No doctor wants to be put under a miscroscope in the event of an adverse event. I can't say I balme them. The implications with pysch meds can cause more serious issues with using antipsychotics at all. Not good if you have a chronic disorder like bipolar.

If given a choice between a pharmaceutical and cannabis, I would have him stick with cannabis. He is doing better now than he has in a very long time, even has a part-time job now. :bigsmile:

ETA: And I think anti-psychotics are WAY over-prescribed anyway, same as anti-depressants and anti-biotics.

Hmmm. But in the face of real diagnosis, they are certainly warranted IMO. Here is how you deal with healthcare the way it is now: If you need anything and it is an emergency you go to the emergency room. They have to treat you whether you have healthcare or not. And that includes having a mental crisis. Cannabis just can't be the best treatment for severe bi-polar. :(

I would never go to the ER for anything mental. And I'm sure my brother's bi-polar isn't "severe" because aside from his drinking, he has always been fine without their drugs. (See my post above.) Personally, I think drugging him as a little kid is part of the damage, and then changing the diagnosis? I'm still not convinced that he *has* bi-polar, but my dad is. But then my dad is also convinced that cannabis has been *the best* medicine for him. My dad's an accountant though, not a shrink.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

But, that's not the case for someone who is biploar or schizophrenic or has other pervasive psychiatric disorders.

Part of the problem is our "quick fix" society and part of the problem is that people without psychiatric training are permitted to initially prescribe psych meds, don't know how to titrate them, and do not require counseling. PCPs don't know near enough to be prescribing psych meds as they do.

A pill can't be titrated like cannabis can. And too much can be a serious problem, just as rapid withdrawal can be a problem. Cannabis is the safest therapeutic substance ever known. Also, I see bi-polar as being more similar to ADHD than to schizophrenia.

For example, when I was trying to get ADHD meds, the shrink wanted to give me a med that is supposed to prevent hallucinations. I'm like, "I don't have any hallucinations." And the shrink is like, "Well, we have to make sure you aren't psychotic before I can trust a doctor's diagnosis from a decade ago."

So I left. I went to my primary doctor, and he gave me anti-depressants instead, which made my ADHD *worse* instead of better.

I gave up. I haven't taken any ADHD meds in twenty years now. I *did* go for counseling. This was back when my employer paid for it. My counselor helped me more than any drug ever could. He gave me a LOT of helpful tips on using ADHD to my advantage instead of letting it control my life and screw up my employment, which is basically what had been happening. I had been self-medicating with street drugs and ended up just partying through the weekend and then always sleeping at work and such. I still say a small dose of Methylphenidate on a daily basis would do me a world of good, but for some reason, it's only deemed safe for children with ADHD. Once you are an adult, Methylphenidate is suddenly dangerous. *eye roll*

(One more interesting note: My brother had originally been diagnosed ADHD as a kid, but then when he hit puberty, the quack shrink decided he was bi-polar instead. So who knows?)

Just wanted to say that of course a pill can be titrated unless it is specifically a slow release compound. I don't know of any good studies that show cannabis treating either ADHD or bi-polar. In fact, in many people, it has the effect of making them less likely to be productive. I say this as someone who thinks it should be legal, because it definitely has uses for cancer patients, Crohn's and IBS to name 3 off the top of my head.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Lustig is a quack.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Lustig

Anytime it seems like we might just be getting somewhere.... someone has to come along and do this.

Maybe we could start using the word "lustig" in place of the so-called "profane" words-that-must-not-be-typed-on-an-adult-website. :wink: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    As my doctor once explained it to me, 100 calories from a piece of chicken is a lot different than 100 calories from a piece of chocolate cake. It is not just calories in/calories out, you have to consider the nutrient value of the foods you consume.

What if you've already had 100 grams of protein for the day? Why would another 25 grams be better?

I don't eat chicken and I don't like cake, but if I'm at 100 grams of protein for the day I need the additional 25 grams, so yes the 25 grams of protein would be better. Not from chicken, though.

My goal is 90 grams, so if I'm at 100 already, I'm having the cake. (Or hell, even if I'm at 85ish.)
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Just wanted to say that of course a pill can be titrated unless it is specifically a slow release compound. I don't know of any good studies that show cannabis treating either ADHD or bi-polar. In fact, in many people, it has the effect of making them less likely to be productive. I say this as someone who thinks it should be legal, because it definitely has uses for cancer patients, Crohn's and IBS to name 3 off the top of my head.

The debate is hot and heavy in the cannabis community regarding bi-polar treatment, or any other mental disorders. The big difference with cannabis is that it can affect people so differently.

As far as ADHD, it depends *heavily* on the strain. Most sativas are a great help to help me focus and stay motivated. Any indica and *most* hybrids will have my mind racing and completely unable to concentrate on anything. There are several sativa strains that I've had that remind me of Ritalin.

ETA: I take that back. There are a few hybrids that I have tried that are excellent if I'm watching a movie. :bigsmile:

ETFA: Best ADHD strain --> http://www.leafly.com/sativa/green-crack
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options

Yes, but, as with many things that have not been properly studied, people like the way they "feel" so they're convinced it's treating them. For the three disorders you noted, it's helpful because the seffects of use counteract symptoms of those disorders, which would not be the case for something like ADHD or Bipolar. In none of the three cases is it actually treating the disorder itself, which is important to do first/concurrently.

Although both will benefit from counseling, one of the big differences between ADHD and Bipolar in respect to treamtent is that ADHD is extremely amenable to behavior modification. Behavioral therapy can do wonders where home life and parenting styles have not supported good coping strategies. With some bipolars this is helpful, and some not at all. I do, however, think that Bipolar is a diagnosis that should be revisited multiple times, and by qualified psychiatrists, not GPs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    Have an operation to remove taste buds. End of problem.
    This is a great point. If someone couldn't TASTE the sugar, do you think they'd have a problem quitting or reducing it?

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Yes, but, as with many things that have not been properly studied, people like the way they "feel" so they're convinced it's treating them. For the three disorders you noted, it's helpful because the seffects of use counteract symptoms of those disorders, which would not be the case for something like ADHD or Bipolar. In none of the three cases is it actually treating the disorder itself, which is important to do first/concurrently.

Although both will benefit from counseling, one of the big differences between ADHD and Bipolar in respect to treamtent is that ADHD is extremely amenable to behavior modification. Behavioral therapy can do wonders where home life and parenting styles have not supported good coping strategies. With some bipolars this is helpful, and some not at all. I do, however, think that Bipolar is a diagnosis that should be revisited multiple times, and by qualified psychiatrists, not GPs.

For me, the counseling is the best thing I ever did. One of the main things I still do to this day is when I start to get distracted from my work, I get up and go for a walk. When I return to my desk, I can get back to what I was doing.

Also, I have zero faith in psychiatrists, and will never go back to one. If they want to prescribe me some methylphenidate or Adderall, I'll take it, but I'm not going to be a guinea pig. I am nearly 40 years old and have dealt with this my whole life. I know what works and what doesn't. I think many of these "disorders" would benefit more from behavior therapy than from drugs.

ETA: And I may have misread, but if you were referring to Crohn's, it has been studied in England, in Spain, and quite thoroughly in Israel. You might want to do some research if you haven't. Cannabidiol is apparently capable of healing the gut, which is why it's capable of putting Crohn's in remission.
  • Gemmz2014
    Options
    my point to the OP is that crack and cocaine are both cocaine, so how could you be addicted to crack, but not cocaine..which is the same as saying I am addicted to processed sugar, but I can eat fruit and honey all day with no problem….

because you do not have a sugar addiction ..

you have an overeating problem

sorry to be blunt...

Here we go again... then why not over eat all the food I eat?
  • Gemmz2014
    Options

Because cake and ice cream are very palatable. It's easy to get out of control with things that taste good. I can put away a whole box of "Chicken in a Biscuit" within a matter of minutes if I didn't care about using up calories.
    It really does come down to habit forming. Eat one scoop of ice cream and that's it. No really that's it, till at least the next day.

IDEA Fitness member

One scoop of ice cream? That's it??? Hahaha, you're funny :wink: