Need serious help with SUGAR!!!!

Options

Replies

• Gemmz2014
    Options

ETA: And I may have misread, but if you were referring to Crohn's, it has been studied in England, in Spain, and quite thoroughly in Israel. You might want to do some research if you haven't. Cannabidiol is apparently capable of healing the gut, which is why it's capable of putting Crohn's in remission.

This is very interesting! It's time to do some research on Cannabidoil. I have lymphocytic Colitis, not the same as Chrons but would really love to know it if helps. I do not like the feeling of being high though.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    my point to the OP is that crack and cocaine are both cocaine, so how could you be addicted to crack, but not cocaine..which is the same as saying I am addicted to processed sugar, but I can eat fruit and honey all day with no problem….

Am I the OP??? I'm really confused now.

Why do we keep going in circles? How am I supposed to answer why I can eat fruit and honey in a sensible amount but not cakes and ice cream? That's why I am here! I came here for help with sweets and why I get out of control with them.

because you do not have a sugar addiction ..

you have an overeating problem

sorry to be blunt...

Here we go again... then why not over eat all the food I eat?

Most likely because you find one particular group of food more palatable. I could easily over eat on steak and chipotle burritos but would rarely waste calories on sweets. Its personal preference. My wife loves chocolate... I could care less.
  • Gemmz2014
    Options

Most likely because you find one particular group of food more palatable. I could easily over eat on steak and chipotle burritos but would rarely waste calories on sweets. Its personal preference. My wife loves chocolate... I could care less.

Now that makes sense, just like Sloth was stating.
  • Gemmz2014
    Options
    Three reasons to quit drinking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYvQuKiEMZg

This has nothing to do with sugar but it made me laugh and I wanted to share it :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options

Why do we keep going in circles? How am I supposed to answer why I can eat fruit and honey in a sensible amount but not cakes and ice cream? That's why I am here! I came here for help with sweets and why I get out of control with them.
    Because cake and ice cream are very palatable. It's easy to get out of control with things that taste good. I can put away a whole box of "Chicken in a Biscuit" within a matter of minutes if I didn't care about using up calories.
    It really does come down to habit forming. Eat one scoop of ice cream and that's it. No really that's it, till at least the next day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

One scoop of ice cream? That's it??? Hahaha, you're funny :wink:
    If you were told that eating more than a scoop of ice cream a day would result in the death of someone close to you that you care about, you're gonna tell me you couldn't stop?

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • PT247RUNNER
    Options
    That's easy the fiber in apples
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    my point to the OP is that crack and cocaine are both cocaine, so how could you be addicted to crack, but not cocaine..which is the same as saying I am addicted to processed sugar, but I can eat fruit and honey all day with no problem….

because you do not have a sugar addiction ..

you have an overeating problem

sorry to be blunt...

Here we go again... then why not over eat all the food I eat?

Why not overeat bananas?

Because it's not a sugar addiction. If it's an addiction at all, it's an addiction to hyperpalatable food.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I googled 'hyperpalatable food, and found this article-

""A former FDA commissioner explains why people overeat -- and how to end poor eating habits.

WebMD Feature Archive
    By Elizabeth Lee
    WebMD Feature
    Reviewed by Brunilda Nazario, MD

Does the ice cream in the freezer keep calling your name? Can't resist a jumbo bucket of popcorn at the movies?

Powerful forces you don't recognize may be driving you to overeat, according to a new book by former FDA Commissioner David Kessler, MD. The culprits: fat, salt, sugar, and brain chemistry.

Kessler stops short of calling Americans' love for sugary, fatty foods a "food addiction." But he believes there are similarities between why some people abuse drugs and why some of us can't resist every last deep-fried chip on a heaped plate of cheese-smothered nachos.

Knowing what's driving our overeating behavior is the first step to changing it, he says.

"For some, it's alcohol," Kessler tells WebMD. "For some, it's drugs. For some, it's gambling. For many of us, it's food."

Kessler, a Harvard-trained pediatrician and medical school professor at the University of California, San Francisco, started researching what would become The End of Overeating after watching an overweight woman talk about obsessive eating habits on The Oprah Winfrey Show. It sounded familiar. Kessler's own weight has zoomed up and down over the years, leaving him with suits of every size.

"For much of my life, sugar, fat, and salt held remarkable sway over my behavior," he writes.

And so the man who tackled tobacco companies while leading the FDA started researching why he couldn't turn down a chocolate chip cookie. He pored over studies on taste preferences, eating habits, and brain activity, conducted studies, and talked to food industry insiders, scientists, and people who struggled with overeating.

His theory: "Hyperpalatable" foods -- those loaded with fat, sugar, and salt -- stimulate the senses and provide a reward that leads many people to eat more to repeat the experience.

"I think the evidence is emerging, and the body of evidence is pretty significant," Kessler says.

He calls it conditioned hypereating, and here's how he says it works. When someone consumes a sugary, fatty food they enjoy, it stimulates endorphins, chemicals in the brain that signal a pleasurable experience. Those chemicals stimulate us to eat more of that type of food -- and also calm us down and make us feel good.

The brain also releases dopamine, which motivates us to pursue more of that food. And cues steer us back to it, too: the sight of the food, a road lined with familiar restaurants, perhaps a vending machine that sells a favorite candy bar. The food becomes a habit. We don't realize why we're eating it and why we can't control our appetite for it.

Once the food becomes a habit, it may not offer the same satisfaction. We look for foods higher in fat and sugar to bring back the thrill.

Kessler points to these factors as the cause of a dramatic spike in the number of overweight Americans in the past three decades.""

So according to people on this thread, there is no such thing as an addiction to SUGAR, but there IS an addiction to HYPERPALATABLE FOOD.

And what pray tell is Hyperpalatable food? Why it appears to be foods with Fat, Sugar and salt.

So apparently the debate has now been settled.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    A link to another article about Kessler and the companies that make hyperpalatable foods. It's a conspiracy, I tell ya!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/23/health/23well.html?_r=0
  • LC458
    LC458 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    So after reading thru several articles from reputable sources, according to them, the best way to beat an addiction to foods that are high in sugar, fat, and salt, is to choose whole foods that only have one ingredient. Try to stay away from processed foods and restaurant foods that combine these 3 magic ingredients in a way to make you overeat them.

Choose fruits- they have sugar, but not fat.
    Nuts-they have fat, but not sugar.
    Just don't eat foods that combine fat and sugar, and especially not those that combine them with salt.
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    DIdn't read the whole thing, but will say this:

Some experimentation has been done, and found that people who eat "sweet" first thing in the morning will tend to go for sweet all day, while those who eliminate sweet first thing in the morning gradually trend towards savory over the course of the day.

I experienced this myself, when I stopped putting sugar or sweetener (other than milk) in my coffee. To the point I can actually taste the "Sweet" in non dairy creamer, and find it offputting.

So, you _might_ try reprogramming your taste buds by not overloading them with sweet stuff in the morning, and see if that doesn't trend towards less sweet (and hence, sugar) during the day.

It's not an addiction, per se, it's more like when you have the radio blaring in the car, and it's fine, and you turn off the car, and the next time you get it in it's painfully loud.. though no more loud than you had it before.

YMMV.. worked for me. I hardly eat sweet anything now. I find it cloying and it makes the back of my mouth itch.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

""A former FDA commissioner explains why people overeat -- and how to end poor eating habits.

WebMD Feature Archive
    By Elizabeth Lee
    WebMD Feature

Does the ice cream in the freezer keep calling your name? Can't resist a jumbo bucket of popcorn at the movies?

Powerful forces you don't recognize may be driving you to overeat, according to a new book by former FDA Commissioner David Kessler, MD. The culprits: fat, salt, sugar, and brain chemistry.

Kessler stops short of calling Americans' love for sugary, fatty foods a "food addiction." But he believes there are similarities between why some people abuse drugs and why some of us can't resist every last deep-fried chip on a heaped plate of cheese-smothered nachos.

Knowing what's driving our overeating behavior is the first step to changing it, he says.

"For some, it's alcohol," Kessler tells WebMD. "For some, it's drugs. For some, it's gambling. For many of us, it's food."

Kessler, a Harvard-trained pediatrician and medical school professor at the University of California, San Francisco, started researching what would become The End of Overeating after watching an overweight woman talk about obsessive eating habits on The Oprah Winfrey Show. It sounded familiar. Kessler's own weight has zoomed up and down over the years, leaving him with suits of every size.

"For much of my life, sugar, fat, and salt held remarkable sway over my behavior," he writes.

And so the man who tackled tobacco companies while leading the FDA started researching why he couldn't turn down a chocolate chip cookie. He pored over studies on taste preferences, eating habits, and brain activity, conducted studies, and talked to food industry insiders, scientists, and people who struggled with overeating.

His theory: "Hyperpalatable" foods -- those loaded with fat, sugar, and salt -- stimulate the senses and provide a reward that leads many people to eat more to repeat the experience.

"I think the evidence is emerging, and the body of evidence is pretty significant," Kessler says.

He calls it conditioned hypereating, and here's how he says it works. When someone consumes a sugary, fatty food they enjoy, it stimulates endorphins, chemicals in the brain that signal a pleasurable experience. Those chemicals stimulate us to eat more of that type of food -- and also calm us down and make us feel good.

The brain also releases dopamine, which motivates us to pursue more of that food. And cues steer us back to it, too: the sight of the food, a road lined with familiar restaurants, perhaps a vending machine that sells a favorite candy bar. The food becomes a habit. We don't realize why we're eating it and why we can't control our appetite for it.

Once the food becomes a habit, it may not offer the same satisfaction. We look for foods higher in fat and sugar to bring back the thrill.

Kessler points to these factors as the cause of a dramatic spike in the number of overweight Americans in the past three decades.""

So according to people on this thread, there is no such thing as an addiction to SUGAR, but there IS an addiction to HYPERPALATABLE FOOD.

And what pray tell is Hyperpalatable food? Why it appears to be foods with Fat, Sugar and salt.

This is pretty much the premise of what most of us are saying.. it's not sugar, its yummy food. We have conditioned ourselves to love delicious food... many of which are very high in calories.
  • Gemmz2014
    Options

Because cake and ice cream are very palatable. It's easy to get out of control with things that taste good. I can put away a whole box of "Chicken in a Biscuit" within a matter of minutes if I didn't care about using up calories.
    It really does come down to habit forming. Eat one scoop of ice cream and that's it. No really that's it, till at least the next day.

IDEA Fitness member

One scoop of ice cream? That's it??? Hahaha, you're funny :wink:
    If you were told that eating more than a scoop of ice cream a day would result in the death of someone close to you that you care about, you're gonna tell me you couldn't stop?

IDEA Fitness member

Of course I would stop but I would also stop at one line of cocaine (that would be the hardest but I would stop).
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

ETA: And I may have misread, but if you were referring to Crohn's, it has been studied in England, in Spain, and quite thoroughly in Israel. You might want to do some research if you haven't. Cannabidiol is apparently capable of healing the gut, which is why it's capable of putting Crohn's in remission.

This is very interesting! It's time to do some research on Cannabidoil. I have lymphocytic Colitis, not the same as Chrons but would really love to know it if helps. I do not like the feeling of being high though.

Yep. Studies in England and Israel are both showing that Cannabidiol actually heals the gut lining. Colitis is very similar to Crohn's. The biggest difference is the section of the intestines that is attacked.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

WebMD Feature Archive
    By Elizabeth Lee
    WebMD Feature

"Behavioral disorder" is a better description.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    So after reading thru several articles from reputable sources, according to them, the best way to beat an addiction to foods that are high in sugar, fat, and salt, is to choose whole foods that only have one ingredient. Try to stay away from processed foods and restaurant foods that combine these 3 magic ingredients in a way to make you overeat them.

Just don't eat foods that combine fat and sugar, and especially not those that combine them with salt.

Chocolate-covered nuts FTW!

:laugh:
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options

Chocolate-covered nuts FTW!

:laugh:

Oh yeah! Could this be why Snickers is the best selling candy bar on Earth?? I call it the perfect meal. :love:
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options

"Behavioral disorder" is a better description.

Does it really matter what we call it?
    This whole 32 page thread boils down to certain words causing a negative reaction in some people.
    The OP comes on here with "Need serious help with my SUGAR"
    Then pages and pages of
    "No, there is no such thing as a sugar addiction"
    "if you were addicted to sugar, you would be addicted to ANYTHING containing sugar, are you addicted to FRUIT?
    Would you eat sugar off of dog poop?
    Would you literally die if you did not eat sugar?
    Would you sell your children to get sugar?
    If it would kill your loved one, could you resist it?

No? Then you aren't addicted to sugar.

OP- Then why is it I can eat fruit, but I cannot control myself with cookies, cakes, etc?

Overwhelming response- It is because you are addicted to Hyperpalatable Foods.

So what IS Hyperpalatable foods? It is foods that are processed and created with the perfect combination of SUGAR, fat and salt, to trigger the greatest release of Dopamine and Endorphins in the brain, intensifying the pleasure response, in an attempt to create a craving for the food, so that you will consume more and more of it.
    Sounds like an addiction to me.

So CAN you be addicted to SUGAR?
    Apparently the answer is YES, if it is combined with Fat and Salt.

Some people seem to think that a profound physical dependence on a substance is the requirement to be considered an addiction.
    If this was the case, then only the people who can never stop drinking or doing Heroin 24/7 would be considered addicts.
    And once they went thru detox, the addiction would be cured.

We know this is not the case.

There are more components to an addiction than that. There are psychological addictions to substances as well as certain behaviors that seem to affect the pleasure track of the brain in a more intense way in some people than they do in the normal person. This can be alcohol, drugs, gambling, sex, shopping and hoarding, and even certain foods. Plus many more.

It doesn't really matter if we call it addiction or behavioral disorder. What matters is that this IS a problem for many people.
    Once they understand WHY they have such a harder time resisting these things than the average person, then they can learn how to deal with it.
    Just telling people that they need to have more willpower to overcome their addictions/compulsions only causes them to feel even worse about themselves, since it seems so easy for others to do. They must just be weak and worthless, so why even try.

Understanding that these things are problems because of the way their brain reacts to them, gives them the power and tools to overcome them.

But all this gets lost in the never-ending need to be correct. Welcome to the forums.

(this is not directed at any one specific person)
  • Greytfish
    Options
    Just wanted to say that of course a pill can be titrated unless it is specifically a slow release compound. I don't know of any good studies that show cannabis treating either ADHD or bi-polar. In fact, in many people, it has the effect of making them less likely to be productive. I say this as someone who thinks it should be legal, because it definitely has uses for cancer patients, Crohn's and IBS to name 3 off the top of my head.

Yes, but, as with many things that have not been properly studied, people like the way they "feel" so they're convinced it's treating them. For the three disorders you noted, it's helpful because the seffects of use counteract symptoms of those disorders, which would not be the case for something like ADHD or Bipolar. In none of the three cases is it actually treating the disorder itself, which is important to do first/concurrently.

Although both will benefit from counseling, one of the big differences between ADHD and Bipolar in respect to treamtent is that ADHD is extremely amenable to behavior modification. Behavioral therapy can do wonders where home life and parenting styles have not supported good coping strategies. With some bipolars this is helpful, and some not at all. I do, however, think that Bipolar is a diagnosis that should be revisited multiple times, and by qualified psychiatrists, not GPs.

For me, the counseling is the best thing I ever did. One of the main things I still do to this day is when I start to get distracted from my work, I get up and go for a walk. When I return to my desk, I can get back to what I was doing.

Also, I have zero faith in psychiatrists, and will never go back to one. If they want to prescribe me some methylphenidate or Adderall, I'll take it, but I'm not going to be a guinea pig. I am nearly 40 years old and have dealt with this my whole life. I know what works and what doesn't. I think many of these "disorders" would benefit more from behavior therapy than from drugs.

People who don't need meds are fine with counseling. People who want/need meds are negligent in having them prescribed and monitored by someone without specific training in that specialty. Prescribing them under the advice of the specialist, for the convenience of having one doctor writing all prescriptions is one thing. A PCP or GP does not possess the knowledge to properly monitor psych meds, any more than he/she does with cardiac meds.

You did misread, or you don't understand the complexity of properly studying something as chemically complex as marijuana.

The real problem is that there are a host of other treatment options that can put Chron's in remission and keep it there. Most people just don't like the other options as much. Again, people like their quick fixes.