Anybody else losing fat...TO LOOK GOOD?

Options

Replies

• BeckyGee84
    BeckyGee84 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Can't I do it for both? To be healthy AND hot???
  • anro86
    anro86 Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Well, I sure as hell am not losing weight to look worse. Heck yeah I want to look good! Nothing wrong with that.
  • gurlygirlrcr80
    gurlygirlrcr80 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I did it for reasons in this order.
    1) I was constantly in pain in my knees and ankles and I play sports and it got to be too much for me to handle. So it was either stop playing sports (NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN) or lose weight. The pain turned into 2 knee surgerys and potential arthritis in the future if i didn't lose weight and still a big issue from the weight I was carrying. Still in recovery from my 2nd knee surgery which they ended up drilling into my femur to bleed out bone marrow to create a new cartiledge pocket.
    2) Heart Disease runs rampant in my family. I didn't want to drop dead in my 30's.
    3) To look good - yes that was one of the reasons but certainly didn't matter to me more than living longer and not hurting.
    4) To be healthier in genera, reduce cancer risk and maybe having kids in the future.

So here I am now 113 pounds down and 40 more to get to my goal.
    Everyone is different for their reasons and vanity shouldn't be punished because inadvertantly they are helping their health :)
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    My reasons for losing weight are as follows:
    1) to look good
    2) to help me get pregnant and have a healthy pregnancy
    3) to ease joint pain. I inherited arthritic knees which is only made worse by the fact that I have 30 excess lbs to carry around.

I agree... people don't want to sound shallow so they say "no... looking good is just a by-product. I do this for my health" when I'd say atleast 50% of the time the main reason is actually to look good. When did it become a crime?
  • Mrsum3
    Mrsum3 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    honestly, 90% to look good; 10% to be healthier:)
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Yep. I'm not even super concerned about "skinny fat" at this point; I figure I'll get to "skinny" first and then decide how important OMGmuscles are to me.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Honestly, my main motivtion for it is to look better. Of course for myself, but also for others (maybe so I can meet someone). It's a huge part of it, for sure.
  • amandagail82
    Options
    I am just over the line and labeled as Obese. Never thought I would be obese. Ever since I quit smoking 2 years ago I have gained 24 pounds. Really up setting because I used to think I was fat then and now I'm 8 pant sized bigger. I am going to loose this weight for a healthy lifestyle and to feel comfortable in my own skin. I am tired of hiding my belly, or covering my behind with sweaters and I'm tired of being out of shape. My joints hurt, my feet hurt and I'm only 31. I want to run marathons and be an inspiration to my children that life can be so much fuller if you take care of yourself. So yes I am definitely loosing weight to look better and to be healthier inside and out!
  • tabbyxxcat
    tabbyxxcat Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    SMH... stop with the absolutes. It is not a core reason for everyone. Are people really this narrow minded?

At least back yourself up and add to the conversation so that I know why you feel that way...
    Now your comment just makes me feel like crap.
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I won't lie. My BMI is in the upper range of normal, my blood tests are OK and I don't look bad, I just wanna look awesome. :laugh:
    love this!!! I happen to agree with you..I am working hard to look awesome,and if guys want to check me out I dont care BECAUSE I have worked hard to get to that point..lol..I did show my husband some of the guys on MFP the other day,the before and afters..and told him if he looked like some of them he would be getting a lot less sleep!!! funny,he has been working out daily since then..lol
    edited to add,,I do enjoy being healthier also,I have better lungs then some of the black belts in my TKD class..I think that is pretty cool!! and my horse seems happier,he has suddenly turned into some kind of wannabe race horse..lol
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    SMH... stop with the absolutes. It is not a core reason for everyone. Are people really this narrow minded?

At least back yourself up and add to the conversation so that I know why you feel that way...
    Now your comment just makes me feel like crap.

Read the first post I wrote in this thread...
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Why are we assuming that every single person who has lost weight thinks thinner looks better? Is I really so hard to believe that there are people who like the way they look at a heavier weight, but go in a reducing program for health or performance reasons? Out of 7 billion people, not one likes a full figured body?

Again, I agree that for many people looks are a motivator, and there is no shame in that. But to say that those who claim it isn't a factor are lying is assuming that everyone is the same. Fact is we are not.
  • 00NL
    00NL Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    started it for a guy
    but now i get how much health benefits it will have
    now i say that i do not want to carry a single extra pound of fat that my body does not need !!
    all that FAT please leave my body alone :noway:
  • ElizaB84
    ElizaB84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I don't have any health problems atm. I'm losing weight to prevent anything from popping up. But a huge part is also about wanting to like how I look in clothes, naked, in a bathing suit.
  • wendypoloway
    wendypoloway Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If I wasn't looked upon by others as inferior because I am fat, I wouldn't be trying to lose weight. Instead I would be eating a yummy, grease-laden hamburger instead of a salad. So I am absolutely trying to lose weight to look good ... the health benefits are an additional perk.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    As a result of a neurological dysfunction I never developed a sex drive (along with many other natural, base instincts). I have absolutely nothing to gain by prioritizing looks. It is done exclusively for practical benefit. And the people who can't wrap their brains around the idea that someone like myself can exist are nothing but narrow-minded. Seriously, you have no room whatsoever. NO. ROOM. AT. ALL. To say what you THINK about how everyone else's mind works. And you should think before you open your mouth about the possibility that maybe the human mind is much more diverse in how different one person can be from another than you first thought.
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    For me it is too look good but not solely for that reason but because I will feel more confident in myself when I do.
  • rella_1003
    rella_1003 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this to feel good not look good because Iike the way I look already! I like my squishy belly I'd be sad if it was completely flat. Plus I wear loose clothing anyway, most of the time no-one can tell I have a massive disporportionately large belly and hardly anyone will be able to tell I lost weight.

Not everyone thinks losing fat even looks good, we shpuln't make assumptions that everyone wants to get skinny to look naked, some people think they already look good naked flabs and all!
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    I'm with you OP. I'm in this because for once in my life, I wanted to be THAT guy. The guy the ladies look at and go "Damn, I want a piece of that". :smile:

What it comes down to is we do this for whatever reason motivates us. Be it beauty or health. As long as we have some motivating factor to keep us going, hold on to it and let it drive you.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I can definitely say that NOW my weight loss is to look good. :) Actually, I think I look GREAT wearing clothes. The hubs thinks I look great naked. Me, not so much. Although even at 45, my loose skin seems to be tightening up, but I'll never get rid of it all. Oh well. For the most part, my only health problems when I was morbidly obese were bad knees and back - and sleep apnea. I had low blood pressure and a slow pulse even back then. (I was even told I couldn't donate blood because my pulse was below 50. Kind of funny, but the gal had to ask if I was an elite athlete. Er, no, but thanks for asking.) The good news is no more sleep apnea and the cpap machine was retired to the basement!!!!

Oh, and I LOVE having guys hold doors for me. :) Like the super cute guy who held the door the other day where I work. (He works in the lawyer office upstairs...)