OMG Everything I know is wrong!

Options

Replies

• ca551dy
    ca551dy Posts: 18
    Options
    Of course I would. I'm expressing disbelief at the tone people are taking. You know that talking to someone in person the way some of these people are would cause someone to simply walk away rather than listen. If you wanted them to listen to you, you would speak to them in a helpful, conversational way....it still applies here. No one is going to take you seriously or even WANT to take your word for something if you're being condescending and rude about it.

Of course I don't know everything, which is why I don't hammer my opinion about something that's not black and white into someone's head. Different things work for different people, so I like sharing ideas rather than causing something like....well...THIS.

I know the people claiming they "know" know what worked for them. I know that because that is the experience they had, they are going to believe in it more. But it doesn't make the experiences of others wrong, stupid, crazy, unfounded, etc.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Of course I would. I'm expressing disbelief at the tone people are taking. You know that talking to someone in person the way some of these people are would cause someone to simply walk away rather than listen. If you wanted them to listen to you, you would speak to them in a helpful, conversational way....it still applies here. No one is going to take you seriously or even WANT to take your word for something if you're being condescending and rude about it.

Of course I don't know everything, which is why I don't hammer my opinion about something that's not black and white into someone's head. Different things work for different people, so I like sharing ideas rather than causing something like....well...THIS.

I know the people claiming they "know" know what worked for them. I know that because that is the experience they had, they are going to believe in it more. But it doesn't make the experiences of others wrong, stupid, crazy, unfounded, etc.

Then address it to the OP as well her snark started on page 2 with
    But i'm glad your degree in sports nutrition has made you an expert......

and yes if a stranger or coworker or anyone said what the OP said I would say exactly what I said in my first post in a civil tone and if they argued back and got snarky with me...yah you bet I would be snarky back...then after they continued to argue with multiple people saying the same thing I would bring out the sarcasm...not so much the gifs those are are to do irl.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    There's two reasons why eating more prompts more fat loss (although fat loss does not stall in a deficit no matter the intake it can seem that way as the loss is so painfully slow it does not show up on the scale in the short term.)

1. Cals in has an impact on cals out. More cals in means you can end up doing more, particularly unconsciously both exercise but particularly non exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT) meaning a greater deficit overall.

2. "Secret" unconsious eating or inaccurate logging is particularly prevalent with low calorie intakes. There are a number of studies which show that people, even when they are trained by professionals in calorie counting routinely underestimate their intake by up to 50%. Very low intakes prompt feeling of deprivation and it seems the body and brain conspire to compel the dieter to simply eat more and in most instances they are not even aware of the raised intake. It's not that they are lying when they say they believe they are not eating that much.

When the dieter begins to eat more their feelings of deprivation lessen and so their logging and awareness of what they are eating becomes more accurate as their psychological distress has lessened. Result? Greater deficit overall...

Thank you so much for posting this! These two principles apply to 90% of the arguments that arise on MFP, yet nobody ever seems to bring them up. They seem to be pretty much common sense to me. When people claim that they lose more weight by upping their calories, they are actually probably eating less calories than before. When a person is in a huge deficit, it becomes quite easy to ignore that extra tsp of sugar or tbsp of fat free mayo. Those calories add up. When they up their calories, for fear of gaining weight, people tend to be a little more diligent about their logging. That's my assumption anyway. Not to mention the extra energy...
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Shocked-Troy-Walks-Into-Fire-With-Pizza-Community.gif
  • ca551dy
    Options
    Wasn't directing it at any one person. I guess I just think MFP should be a happier place, that's all. I get there are 1,000 opinions, as there are 1,000 ways to lose weight. It just seems like people are so quick to be rude when they aren't agreed with, or when they are doing the disagreeing.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Doesn't anybody use a body fat scale to see how they are doing percentage-wise? I use my own body fat scale but then when I get it done professionally every other week (on a Tanita body composition analyzer) I can see how my scale rates (it actually is not bad). So, I know out of 11 lbs. I lost, 10 lbs. was fat.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Shocked-Troy-Walks-Into-Fire-With-Pizza-Community.gif
    Oooh, the darkest timeline!
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options

The thing is, weight loss is very black and white. Special snowflake syndrome is rife here, but in reality it applies to a minuscule amount of people.

BMRs and calorie formulae do apply to you. Calories in vs. calories out applies to you, too.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I get there are 1,000 ways to lose weight.

Can you cite peer reviewed studies on this?
  • ca551dy
    Options
    Well with things like age, hormonal imbalances, candida overgrowth, toxins, illnesses, conditions, etc, a gray area is actually present. Calories aside, something else can be stopping a person from losing weight at the same rate they once did or that someone else is. I'm not arguing anything about the calorie deficiency, nor have I said a word about it. I've only expressed a concern for how people talk to each other.
  • ca551dy
    Options

This is pretty much what I'm talking about.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Well with things like age, hormonal imbalances, candida overgrowth, toxins, illnesses, conditions, etc, a gray area is actually present. Calories aside, something else can be stopping a person from losing weight at the same rate they once did or that someone else is. I'm not arguing anything about the calorie deficiency, nor have I said a word about it. I've only expressed a concern for how people talk to each other.

I have PCOS and insulin resistance.

Calorie formulae and calories in vs. calories out works when it's applied properly, even when people say, "this a barrier to me losing weight."

The only grey area is personal preference and tweaking once you've figured out what you should be eating.
  • BokBagok
    BokBagok Posts: 345
    Options
    bump to follow up later.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's and I know exactly how bad it can get when your hormones go way out of whack.
  • ca551dy
    Options

I have PCOS and insulin resistance.

Calorie formulae and calories in vs. calories out works when it's applied properly, even when people say, "this a barrier to me losing weight."

The only grey area is personal preference and tweaking once you've figured out what you should be eating.

Just to reiterate - I have not given an opinion one way or the other on the effectiveness of calories in vs. calories out, so I'm not sure why you are trying to convince me. I'm a believer. I do it every day. It's the only way I've ever been able to lose weight, although after one baby it became slower and after two, it's even slower. So...preaching to the choir. I only joined this conversation to point out that the way people are treating each other is doing more harm then good when it comes to trying to educate someone on what you believe.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Yes! I am so glad you are listening to expert advice AND your body! You rock so hard. :bigsmile:

wow is there something you wish to share with the group? hehe
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I'm a fashion model and I deadlift 780. Everyone admire me. Any doubt will be construed as rudeness and reported.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

This is pretty much what I'm talking about.

Really? this is a valid question? Prove that there are 1000 ways to lose weight with peer reviewed studies..

There is one way to lose weight take in less calories than you burn...there are a 1000000000000000000000000 ways to do that tho.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I'm a fashion model and I deadlift 780. Everyone admire me. Any doubt will be construed as rudeness and reported.

don't forget sarcasm