OMG Everything I know is wrong!

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I get there are 1,000 ways to lose weight.

Can you cite peer reviewed studies on this?

This is pretty much what I'm talking about.

Really? this is a valid question? Prove that there are 1000 ways to lose weight with peer reviewed studies..

There is one way to lose weight take in less calories than you burn...there are a 1000000000000000000000000 ways to do that tho.

Ok, I'm done. Have a good night, and good luck with your weight loss.

rage%2Bquit.jpg

Or I left work for the day . Cute though.

A statement like, " Ok, I'm done, " is usually associated with 'permanently' ... at least in the thread in which it's posted. You may have noticed that everything is taken literally around here. I'm glad to see you have a sense of humor.

I was actually attempting to crack wise, with my 'citing peer reviewed studies' remark. It's a common request at MFP,

Remember,

We are all here for the same reason :wink:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

we are?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

we are?

Well yeah... kitteh gifs.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

we are?

Well yeah... kitteh gifs.

touche'

and and RDJ lip biting gif.. I know I'm here for that.
  • ca551dy
    ca551dy Posts: 18
    Options
    Remember,

To create world peace, one internet forum at a time? That's my reason. Plus I'm fat.
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Everyone thinks they are experts that know more than the actual experts.

I don't think I'm an expert, I just think there is always an opportunity to learn, and I've learned a lot from people right here on MFP who know what they are talking about. It should be hard to disregard actual science when arguing that eating more calories will help you lose weight, but we've seen today that people like to do just that. Keep an open mind and try to glean something from people who have done the research and know the truth.

Ah, the University of MFP! People who 'know what they are talking about.' Yep, they've done the research and know the truth. Scientists--all of them--reiterating the same old theories, the same old 'math.' Take your own advice and keep an open mind!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Having an OPEN mind doesn't have to mean ACCEPTING the other idea, just considering them.
    If someone brings an idea to the table that's not supported by any evidence, I'll try and look for some generally. If I can't find any, then I'll certainly be questioning, especially if there's already evidence that DOES contradict it out there.
  • JennyFreckles00
    Options
    I have been on MFP for over 3 years and initially lost 77 pounds FAST! But I have been stuck for 2 years of gaining and losing the same 10-15! I thought I had a health issue so I saw my Dr. she ran every test in the book and said I was healthy but decided to send me to a nutritionist because of my symptoms. I met with the sports nutritionist and man oh man was I wrong about what I thought my body needed! She looked at my MFP food and exercise diaries and then told me I was eating the calories of a 90 year old grandma and no wonder I can't lose weight. With the running Mileage I do a week alone I should be eating 3100 calories a day and 75 percent carbs! Not to mention the other exercise! I was floored I am still having a hard time believing her but an 8 year degree in sports nutrition can't be wrong. She explained that I am no longer the 270+ pound girl that started, I am a marathon runner and an athlete now and if i dont eat like one my body will fight back. I will be using MFP to help me up my calories and get my carbs in but I think I am finally ready to transition to the athlete I am! I just wanted to post this just in case there is anyone else that is facing the same problem of not losing.

Whoa. I'm getting a headache from reading ignorant posts about Ethiopians losing weight. Since when did watching an infomercial on world hunger make anyone an expert on sports nutrition? I just can't....

Good for you for caring enough about yourself and your body to not only visit a nutritionist, but fully embrace the hard truths you were dealt. That takes way more strength than sitting behind a keyboard and spitting bull**** from the mouth, as some people have chosen to do.

SO proud of you B! You've continued pushing through every hurdle you've faced. I have no doubt that you'll overcome this one as well.

And to the rest....try to remember that the MFP forums are supposed to be a place of SUPPORT, not criticism and a know it all attitude.
  • TheMaryAnn
    Options
    I've had those "omg I can't believe I'm wrong" moments so many times.

I used to listen to some "nutrition expert" and drank a tea spoon of flaxseed oil daily. little did I know that it's full of bad omega-6 fatty acids :/
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I am sensitive to tone, and I think the responses to OP have been respectful. OP, it's great that you posted to help others. The people who are responding to you are also trying to help others. While it may or may not be true for you that your problem is undereating, this isn't going to the be problem for most people. You raised a topic on a discussion forum, so people are discussing it. I don't think anyone is harassing you. Of course you can follow the advice of your professional, and it won't affect any of us here at all. But you posted an idea that is contrary to what most believe, so it will be discussed and debated.

If you do lose weight working with your dietitian, that's what matters. I would personally be skeptical that it truly came from eating more and not some other variation from now or then that would be impossible to track without making you live in a lab, but it really doesn't matter. If you lose weight increasing your calories, you should obviously continue to do so, regardless of the reason. I would think it was reliability rather than validity, but my opinion wouldn't matter in the slightest in your actual life.

This is making me think of that youtube video where those people drank that creepy water though.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I was floored I am still having a hard time believing her but an 8 year degree in sports nutrition can't be wrong.
    I didn't read the whole thread but I'm thinking the nutritionist is probably thinking that with all the logging and running, OP might be bordering on eating disordered and is saying what she thinks she needs to try to stop that, maybe.

Or the hyperbole like '8 year degree in sports nutrition' is carrying over to the rest of the reported advice. There are MS degrees in Sports Nutrition but they're 2 years and not common. Short certification courses are common.

http://www.issaonline.edu/certification/sports-nutrition-certification/
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I don't understand OP's multiple posts, yet refusal to answer simple questions like do you weigh your food, etc. Those questioning her logging very well could have just walked away, but hey, just a few days ago I was claiming that shady sounding information is usually scutinized around here; please don't make me wrong!

On the other hand though, aren't people routinely advised to avoid eating below their BMR? Maybe we don't have peer reviewed studies, but there seem to be enough posts about hair falling out, lethargy, etc from eating too little with a very high activity level. I don't know about quadrupling food intake, but eat at least your BMR has been said once or twice around here, no ?

Now for some random math, Running 25 miles a week = 2500 calories extra, let's say 3000 for OP since she's 187 lbs. That's about 430 extra daily calories per day from running. Some of the other stuff should at least throw on an extra 300 calories per day. Assuming she's not eating back exercise calories on top of that, I think I agree with those who say 2100 calories shouldn't hurt

But how would she know when she hits 2100? Still have to measure, right? Just Can't get around accurate logging and that pesky little food scale :(