OMG Everything I know is wrong!

Options

Replies

• perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and insulin resistance.

Calorie formulae and calories in vs. calories out works when it's applied properly, even when people say, "this a barrier to me losing weight."

The only grey area is personal preference and tweaking once you've figured out what you should be eating.
    I have Hashimoto's and am hypo and I also probably have insulin resistance, if you have a condition that needs medication, and it is not medicated properly, this can keep you from losing weight, things like that also have to be addressed.
  • ca551dy
    ca551dy Posts: 18
    Options
    I get there are 1,000 ways to lose weight.

Can you cite peer reviewed studies on this?

This is pretty much what I'm talking about.

Really? this is a valid question? Prove that there are 1000 ways to lose weight with peer reviewed studies..

There is one way to lose weight take in less calories than you burn...there are a 1000000000000000000000000 ways to do that tho.

Ok, I'm done. Have a good night, and good luck with your weight loss.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Just to reiterate - I have not given an opinion one way or the other on the effectiveness of calories in vs. calories out, so I'm not sure why you are trying to convince me. I'm a believer. I do it every day. It's the only way I've ever been able to lose weight, although after one baby it became slower and after two, it's even slower. So...preaching to the choir. I only joined this conversation to point out that the way people are treating each other is doing more harm then good when it comes to trying to educate someone on what you believe.

I was just explaining why weight loss is black and white.

Also, it's very easy to be blunt - which is what the majority of the people here are, not rude - towards people when large amounts of what they're being contrary to is already covered in the stickies in the Getting Started subforum. If you don't take the time to read that, you're going to have a rough time here.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

Really? this is a valid question? Prove that there are 1000 ways to lose weight with peer reviewed studies..

There is one way to lose weight take in less calories than you burn...there are a 1000000000000000000000000 ways to do that tho.

rage%2Bquit.jpg
  • HappyStack
    Options
    I have PCOS and insulin resistance.

Calorie formulae and calories in vs. calories out works when it's applied properly, even when people say, "this a barrier to me losing weight."

The only grey area is personal preference and tweaking once you've figured out what you should be eating.
    I have Hashimoto's and am hypo and I also probably have insulin resistance, if you have a condition that needs medication, and it is not medicated properly, this can keep you from losing weight, things like that also have to be addressed.

I have never taken medication for my condition(s), and I never will.

People have varying experiences with gaining/losing weight on the combined pill, Met, Spiro, Yasmin, etc. and my symptoms are managed almost entirely by maintaining a healthy weight - and thus a healthy caloric intake - and exercising. I'm not a fan of altering my already effed up hormonal balance with pills. Adding more cooks to the kitchen will always spoil the pot, imo.

Obviously there are a lot of conditions that alter your bodily processes and hormonal balance. That doesn't invalidate calorimetry, and it certainly doesn't invalidate BMR equations.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

exactly. she was telling people to see a professional so they can get plans tailored to them

Take it from someone who has been lurking in this forum for years. People will see a number of calories and think it's a magic number.

The whole situation needs clarification. I'm still confused as to why a registered dietitian would encourage 2100 calories for weight loss when her maintenance calories are supposedly 3100 as a very long distance runner, and I'm also seeing people throw around the 1300 value, which is further confusing.

I will add another layer of confusion…how did OP not lose on 1300 a day when running 25 miles a week, participating in cross fit, and being an "athlete"….???????

mind blown yet?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Doesn't anybody use a body fat scale to see how they are doing percentage-wise? I use my own body fat scale but then when I get it done professionally every other week (on a Tanita body composition analyzer) I can see how my scale rates (it actually is not bad). So, I know out of 11 lbs. I lost, 10 lbs. was fat.

notoriously inaccurate …

having dexa scan or water analysis is the most accurate…

you can also do the picture comparison test...
  • HappyStack
    Options
    I will add another layer of confusion…how did OP not lose on 1300 a day when running 25 miles a week, participating in cross fit, and being an "athlete"….???????

mind blown yet?

2ilius4.jpg
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP for over 3 years and initially lost 77 pounds FAST! But I have been stuck for 2 years of gaining and losing the same 10-15! I thought I had a health issue so I saw my Dr. she ran every test in the book and said I was healthy but decided to send me to a nutritionist because of my symptoms. I met with the sports nutritionist and man oh man was I wrong about what I thought my body needed! She looked at my MFP food and exercise diaries and then told me I was eating the calories of a 90 year old grandma and no wonder I can't lose weight. With the running Mileage I do a week alone I should be eating 3100 calories a day and 75 percent carbs! Not to mention the other exercise! I was floored I am still having a hard time believing her but an 8 year degree in sports nutrition can't be wrong. She explained that I am no longer the 270+ pound girl that started, I am a marathon runner and an athlete now and if i dont eat like one my body will fight back. I will be using MFP to help me up my calories and get my carbs in but I think I am finally ready to transition to the athlete I am! I just wanted to post this just in case there is anyone else that is facing the same problem of not losing.

How exciting! You have a new path to be on and will discover more things about how your body works! Thank you for sharing your initiative. I wish you all the best and may you find success.

I think you made a mistake in "arguing" with some of the members on the forum. They are not you. What they have done for themselves would not work for me and I know that for sure. So, stay focused on YOUR body, on your calorie intake and what your nutritionist is suggesting.

The beauty of this is that 1) You will be successful or 2) You will have tried something that did not work but gained in experience so then you can make a more informed next choice. Either way, you win.

Good Luck and keep us posted!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Holy crap, people...do you talk to total strangers in person the way you do on here?
    Of course I would.
    That may explain why others also express disbelief in a similar manner to things they've heard said that they don't think are right :).

Many things work for different people because they aren't aware they're doing the same basic thing,
    Me, because there's so much guesswork and trying to fit solutions to idealogy, I try to stick to stuff with scientific studies to back it up.

So often you may find one person's "experience" isn't actually backed up by reality - it may be, as has been discussed, that the reasons they are seeing the results they do are not the ones they think.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    OP I made it through page 3 and then zoned out......

I understand the point you were trying to make.

My 2 cents:

You weren't losing because your intake was off. That's it. You can't say that you didn't measure, weigh, log your food but you know absolutely what your intake was. HOWEVER. I do agree that you were probably under eating for your activity level. There comes a point where you have to look at fueling for performance and fueling for weight loss and often, in my opinion, when you are doing something like distance running (or any intense training) the performance part has to take precedence.

I used to always get confused when I would read that you should reduce activity before further reducing calories (for weight loss) but now, after much trial and error I totally get it.

I am super interested to see how this works out for you but I would suggest that, if for no other reason than your own data and your own knowledge, to weigh, measure and log your food....even if only for 4-6 weeks.....just so that you can get a true idea of where you're at.
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Doesn't anybody use a body fat scale to see how they are doing percentage-wise? I use my own body fat scale but then when I get it done professionally every other week (on a Tanita body composition analyzer) I can see how my scale rates (it actually is not bad). So, I know out of 11 lbs. I lost, 10 lbs. was fat.

Hydrostatic body comp testing is the most accurate. I'd suggest this instead if you want accurate numbers.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Here is what I got out of the OP:

If you are struggling in your weightloss efforts or you aren't getting the results you thought you would, it might be a good idea to talk to a professional. That way they can help you develop a plan based on your own situation and stats.

I didn't read into it more than that.

Thats the way I read it also.
  • iLuvJohnny1
    iLuvJohnny1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat enough calories per day, your body goes into starvation mode and stores fat!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    If you don't eat enough calories per day, your body goes into starvation mode and stores fat!

sigh…dead wrong…
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

Unfortunately these people disagree:

https://www.google.com/search?q=starving+people&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=sb3hUuWiHo_MsQSb6YHIDw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=653
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    There's two reasons why eating more prompts more fat loss (although fat loss does not stall in a deficit no matter the intake it can seem that way as the loss is so painfully slow it does not show up on the scale in the short term.)

1. Cals in has an impact on cals out. More cals in means you can end up doing more, particularly unconsciously both exercise but particularly non exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT) meaning a greater deficit overall.

2. "Secret" unconsious eating or inaccurate logging is particularly prevalent with low calorie intakes. There are a number of studies which show that people, even when they are trained by professionals in calorie counting routinely underestimate their intake by up to 50%. Very low intakes prompt feeling of deprivation and it seems the body and brain conspire to compel the dieter to simply eat more and in most instances they are not even aware of the raised intake. It's not that they are lying when they say they believe they are not eating that much.

When the dieter begins to eat more their feelings of deprivation lessen and so their logging and awareness of what they are eating becomes more accurate as their psychological distress has lessened. Result? Greater deficit overall...

This is deserving of a brand new thread. Everyone should read this. It could prevent a ton of arguments.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Your assignment: go back and read the whole darn thread.
  • ca551dy
    ca551dy Posts: 18
    Options

rage%2Bquit.jpg

Or I left work for the day . Cute though.