WHy I follow a low fat raw vegan diet

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    OP;are you supplementing with Vitamin B12? It's very difficult to get enough on a vegan diet. I think that your body will use reserves for a few years, but if you continue a vegan diet without B12 supplements you can develop pernicious anemia.

I believe it's actually impossible to get enough B12 from a vegan diet. I think it's interesting that veganism is literally impossible without the modern chemical engineering required to manufacture B12 supplements.
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I get blood work done regularly. My B12 was high and I take a supplement. THanks for looking out!
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    OP;are you supplementing with Vitamin B12? It's very difficult to get enough on a vegan diet. I think that your body will use reserves for a few years, but if you continue a vegan diet without B12 supplements you can develop pernicious anemia.

I believe it's actually impossible to get enough B12 from a vegan diet. I think it's interesting that veganism is literally impossible without the modern chemical engineering required to manufacture B12 supplements.

Actually the B12 you get from animals comes from the dirt they eat not from the animals themselves. Because the way our produce is harvested and triple washed etc, we strip the B12 from the soil from the veggies.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    cliffs for anyone interested:

OP did dukan diet, lost some weight, decided high protein was bad for her
    started vegan diet, regularly went drinking with friends and ate french fries, nachos, and all things delicious (except meat and cheese)
    met the banana girl at some festival and decided to dump all her friends and stop drinking
    now eats high carb, low fat, and freaks out when she goes to Chipotle

pretty sure that covers it

Egads.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Actually the B12 you get from animals comes from the dirt they eat not from the animals themselves. Because the way our produce is harvested and triple washed etc, we strip the B12 from the soil from the veggies.

No this is not true. B12 is produced by microorganisms that generally live in the digestive system of animals and ultimately come from the plants they eat. The human gut does not support these organisms. You can't get B12 from dirt. Small quantities of the bacteria that produce B12 can be found in mature, but not any significant amount of B12 itself. Since the human body doesn't create B12 or support the bacteria that manufacture it, we rely on the B12 from the products of animals that do harbor those bacteria.

Or you can get it from factories that farm the organisms and process their waste to isolate the B12 for supplements.
  • astrovivi
    astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I felt like this about food myself once... they called it anorexia after a year or so. No disrespect, your path is your own and congratulations for finding something you think works for you, sincerely. But, and I say this with love for you, eating something should never make you feel guilty. That is clinically the beginning of a disorder that stems from a need for control.. by removing yourself from your friends? You've placed emotions in to food vs. people. I'm not a doctor? But the one I had to see to conquer my food habits was pretty clear about putting my relationship with food above my relationship with life.

Nothing we eat is evil or bad. It may not all be the best of choices? I mean I'll eat an apple before a snickers, but in moderation there is no reason to deny ourselves meats, cheeses, etc. You are completely allowed to experiment with your body, by all means find out how it affects you long term.. but please be careful what information you deal out to others, clinically what you are doing could be very harmful by denying nutrients from various foods. I may be wrong in that and I welcome anyone else to correct me? But I know both of my grandparents were raised on meat and dairy (evil foods) and both of them maintained incredible body structures without restricting anything.. IMO.. today's culture has gotten so fad obsessed they've forgotten how to just eat normal.

word.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    A couple of interesting testimonies about the long-term effects of veganism. They sound very much like the original post:

http://letthemeatmeat.com/post/441289060/interview-with-an-ex-vegan-kaleigh-mason

http://www.anairhoads.org/?p=3690
  • jonnythan
    Options
    A couple of interesting testimonies about the long-term effects of veganism. They sound very much like the original post:

http://letthemeatmeat.com/post/441289060/interview-with-an-ex-vegan-kaleigh-mason

I'm not too surprised. Veganism just doesn't make much sense to me. It's very difficult to be vegan and get proper nutrition, and even if you do you still need to supplement with an industrially-produced chemical. Veganism is a very modern thing.
  • castlerobber
    Options
    Ok, I need to get ready for bed. BUT I will leave you with this -- google jim morris vegan body builder.
    You HAVE to check out this man's body.

I did. Found an interview with him. Here are a few quotes:

"I used steroids during the entirety of my competitive career from 1966 to 1996."
    "I started taking anti inflammatory medication in 1966 for my joints."

Somehow, I don't think that's a coincidence.

"In 2000 at age 65 I became a vegan."
    "I do take a weekly injection of Testosterone and vit B-12."

Reckon what he'd look like without those weekly injections? How he'd feel?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Ok, I need to get ready for bed. BUT I will leave you with this -- google jim morris vegan body builder.
    You HAVE to check out this man's body.

I did. Found an interview with him. Here are a few quotes:

"I used steroids during the entirety of my competitive career from 1966 to 1996."
    "I started taking anti inflammatory medication in 1966 for my joints."

Somehow, I don't think that's a coincidence.

"In 2000 at age 65 I became a vegan."
    "I do take a weekly injection of Testosterone and vit B-12."

Reckon what he'd look like without those weekly injections? How he'd feel?

:laugh:

30 years of steroids while eating animal protein certainly helps one's physique.
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    All I can say is hummus with no olive oil isn't hummus.

LOL that's exactly what I thought, olive oil is a pretty integral part in the making of hummus, otherwise it's pretty well just mashed up lentils lol
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options

I'm not too surprised. Veganism just doesn't make much sense to me. It's very difficult to be vegan and get proper nutrition, and even if you do you still need to supplement with an industrially-produced chemical. Veganism is a very modern thing.

A\n anthropology class I took mentioned Jains being vegan. Jainism is quite old. Maybe it's not a very diffused way of eating but it is not a modern phenom for sure.
  • jonnythan
    Options

A\n anthropology class I took mentioned Jains being vegan. Jainism is quite old. Maybe it's not a very diffused way of eating but it is not a modern phenom for sure.

They appear to traditionally consume dairy products.
  • castlerobber
    Options

Interesting. I hadn't heard of Jain vegetarianism before--had to look it up.

Apparently many of the variations of Jainism allow dairy (lacto-vegetarian), and some of the less strict will even eat meat if the animal was not purposely slaughtered for eating. (Some of the strictest will starve themselves to death when they believe they're nearing the end of their lives.)

Thank you for bringing that out.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lfce7wtHy11qfy2kdo1_r1_500.gif
  • MadameLAL
    MadameLAL Posts: 108
    Options

I'm sorry that veganism is a threat to anyone's self-esteem. Live and let live, as they say.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options

I'm sorry that veganism is a threat to anyone's self-esteem. Live and let live, as they say.

^ ???

It's from a movie. It's a joke. About someone who has superpowers because they eat a vegan diet.

I like your hair.
  • bamitskam
    Options
    cliffs for anyone interested:

OP did dukan diet, lost some weight, decided high protein was bad for her
    started vegan diet, regularly went drinking with friends and ate french fries, nachos, and all things delicious (except meat and cheese)
    met the banana girl at some festival and decided to dump all her friends and stop drinking
    now eats high carb, low fat, and freaks out when she goes to Chipotle

pretty sure that covers it

bahahahahahahahahaha :laugh:
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing…but I will continue to eat, drink, and be merry …I maintain 11% body fat doing what I do and it is working for me…

Enjoy your self torturing diet….

Congrats on your 11percent body fat! We all know!. You are clearly unique. Eating whole foods in only torture if you are still addicted to processed foods. But we should all support one another more because processed foods or not, people on this site are becoming healthier than they were before this journey. For the most part.
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options

You keep writing this and it's just not true. Or at least I am as sure that I am correct as you are.