Options

Replies

• Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    Hunger Games Catching Fire
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options

What are some of your favourite subtitled / depressing / quirky films? If nothing else maybe you can recommend a few for me, lol.

Lilja 4ever
    Dead Girl
    I Spit On Your Grave (Part 2, never seen part 1 - not really into the absurdly depressing and heart breaking genre)

Last film I seen? Underworld: Evolution
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I watched Penelope. It was cute.
  • lucyloutoo
    lucyloutoo Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I LOVE tyrannosaur, I've been raving about Olivia Coleman for years, but she really blew me away in that.

I think from the top of my head, three of my favourite films are....moon (so good) confessions (I think, it's Japanese I believe, about a school teacher) the skin I live in...I will watch anything by Almodovar though,I rate him very highly.
    And motorcycle diaries..I do like Garcia Bernal (though he shouldn't EVER make English language films)
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I have actually seen none of those. If I had to pick three it would be:

The Station Agent - Just a perfect little film.

Kieslowski's Rouge - Loved the way he brought the focals from the first two films back into that at the end.

Winter's Bone - Showed the world that Jennifer Lawrence is a crazy talented young actress. Showed the world that John Hawkes is not just a bit player. But mostly because it sort of struck a few nerves with me.
  • lucyloutoo
    lucyloutoo Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard of the first two, but yes, winter's bone was a good one.

Uplifting foreign films come no finer than The Untouchables (I think, shocking memory)

:)
  • TheFisherKing
    Options
    I watched Penelope. It was cute.

I use the film in a course I teach about beauty in high school and once in awhile I show it to my college students for the same purpose.
  • TheFisherKing
    Options
    I have actually seen none of those. If I had to pick three it would be:

The Station Agent - Just a perfect little film.

Kieslowski's Rouge - Loved the way he brought the focals from the first two films back into that at the end.

Winter's Bone - Showed the world that Jennifer Lawrence is a crazy talented young actress. Showed the world that John Hawkes is not just a bit player. But mostly because it sort of struck a few nerves with me.

A couple of films I would encourage anyone to see are:

Night On Earth (in four languages and countries)

A Midnight Clear (if you can find this old war film based on a Christmas spent where the Germans and Americans had a cease fire)

Run Lola Run

13 Tzameti (a fantastic film bastardized by Jason Statham's American version)

Only Human (Spain)

My Life As A Dog (if you have not already seen this Swedish classic)
  • tammys_changing
    Options
    Ride Along ..saw it today. Hilarious movie!!
  • TheFisherKing
    Options
    I tried getting through ONLY GOD FORGIVES today, the film set in Bangkok, but fell out of interest within the first half hour.
  • mjhmjhmjh
    mjhmjhmjh Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have just watched Azumi 1 and 2 back to back. Seen them so many times but love them
  • SaintGiff
    Options
    I haven't heard of the first two, but yes, winter's bone was a good one.

Uplifting foreign films come no finer than The Untouchables (I think, shocking memory)

:)

Rouge is the third instalment of Kieslowski's Trois Couleurs trilogy. They are, particularly if viewed in the context of the time they were made, iconic. Each film focuses on a different couple in it's own weird way. The first two introduced plot devices that have since been copied countless times. So much so that if you're seeing them now for the first time they will feel somewhat tired and unoriginal. When he made Rouge he just let it all hang out creatively. Great film.

The Station Agent is the quintessential indie for me. It's a small movie that tells a small story about small people. It stars Peter Dinklage and Patricia Clarkson and has some of the most tremendously understated acting you'll ever see.

Fisher mentioned Run Lola Run, which is maybe my favourite German film. Maybe. Either that or The Lives of Others.

You also can't overlook anything from the Dardennes. The Kid with a Bike got a lot of love when it came out a few years ago, and deservedly so. It was brilliant. The Silence of Lorna is still my pick favourite of theirs, though.

If you want a truly uplifting film I can't recommend The Way highly enough. It was adapted and directed by Emilio Estevez and stars his father, Martin Sheen. It was filmed primarily in France and Spain with a mostly European cast. Just a beautiful story and the restraint Estevez used in telling it is what makes the whole thing so fantastic.
  • HDHogger
    HDHogger Posts: 764
    Options
    Went and saw Lone Survivor Thursday. It was not as good as I had expected but it was okay as long as you keep in mind it was based on a true story. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't like action war type movies because it really didn't have much of a story to it. Three out of Five stars for a rating.
  • SaintGiff
    Options
    I tried getting through ONLY GOD FORGIVES today, the film set in Bangkok, but fell out of interest within the first half hour.

That was just awful. If you gave up after 30 minutes you lasted about 6 minutes longer than did I. I could see what they were trying to do, but that just made me more angry at their incompetence. I don't give up on many films, particularly that early in, but Only God Forgives was just, well, unforgivable.
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    Saving Mr. Banks. (Took the kids)
  • chevyimpalagirl
    chevyimpalagirl Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    White house down
  • 62smt
    62smt Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Nebraska. I loved it--the black-and-white filming really added a layer of depth to the story and themes.
  • chism21
    chism21 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Frozen. Epic <3.
    this
  • whoajulie
    Options
    Finally saw The Hobbit-Desolation of Smaug a few weeks ago. I liked it better than the first one.

Before that I saw The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, and boy was it a pleasant surprise. The trailers did a crappy job of explaining the movie though. I just picked it on a whim because my out of town aunt wanted to go to a movie. Ben Stiller did a great job of directing, producing, and starring in it. Loved the message. :)
  • wpanderson
    Options
    Wolf of Wall Street - Leonardo DiCaprio, drugs, lots of boobs! Really entertaining, so strange to see the world from a different perspective!