Is there a such thing as being too overweight to dance?

Options
Alright, so here we go: I loved dancing. I still day dream about it all of the time, though I've never been awesome at it. I'm currently obese, 218 lbs. I'm eating better, and I try to exercise like normal... but I hate my exercises. Routine exercising is not fun for me, but I know in the past I've lost weight via dance without even changing my diet. (When I started at like 170 and got down to 156.) I am still going to eat better, obviously, because I want to be healthy.... BUT am I too overweight now to dance? Will I be able to even perform most dance moves properly? I am a little scared nothing will look right because of how heavy I am. I'm also scared I'll be judged for it if I take classes. Maybe I'm being silly. @_@ I want to do this though. Dancing used to make me SO happy.

It'd be encouraging to hear from someone who started kind of where I am! Or maybe even advice on which dance types to start with....

Note: Don't like zumba or workout dances like hip hop abs. I like normal dancing of all varieties where technique is put before calorie burning.

Replies

• bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    If it makes you happy and it doesn't hurt anyone, do it. **** anyone who thinks differently.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    As long as your joints are fine. When I was doing physical therapy for knee tendonitis there was a girl there who had Achilles tendonitis and knee tendonitis. She was an excessive dancer! She was doing mostly competitive dancing from what I remember (not ballroom or hip hop - I'm not sure what competitive dancing is but it wasn't "dancing with the stars" style dancing)
  • BeCoco
    BeCoco Posts: 5
    Options
    Try zumba! :)
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    You should do it. Finding an activity you enjoy is so important. If it brings you joy, you should dance!
  • DownsizingAaron
    DownsizingAaron Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I think you can. I think one thing you may want to work on is balance and flexibility. Some dance moves are going to move you in ways you are not used to and so a little bit of work on muscles you don't normally use may help. So while Hip Hop Abs and the like don't interest you, if you could stand it at all to use them a little bit, you may go into a regular dance class more comfortable.
  • denisegunnels
    denisegunnels Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've taught dance and Zumba. I'm a certified instructor but honestly don't really like it. It's not really about dancing. Anyway, this is what I always told my students, "Find something you like. Keep moving and have a good time." I'll presume you are referring to ballet. No, you are NOT too heavy. I would be careful with any type of jumps to avoid injury until you lose a bit more. Good luck and enjoy your workout, whatever you choose.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Join a Salsa or tap class, ballet, line dancing? Remember most adult dancing classes aren't people at the top of their game. Its just people wanting to have fun & learn routines. Have fun.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    when you are old, what will you regret?
    having a few strangers judging you? or not having danced while you had the chance?
  • doubleclick_darling
    doubleclick_darling Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Never. When I was active with a country swing organization at my first college, we had ladies of all weights dancing. Could they do some of the lifts that smaller girls were doing? No, but that didn't stop them. There was a lot of just basic movements that anyone could do (and some floor movements such as floor spins that use momentum). And we did a lot of line dances that everyone that was present participated in.

A good organization won't judge you for your weight if you're taking classes. I had an overall positive experience with the group mentioned above. It was a lot of fun, everyone was super welcoming. And a lot of moves we had modifications of. I also attribute my weekly 2-3 hours spent participating as one of the primary ways that I was able to keep off weight my first two years of college.

So, as others have said, if your joints are good to go and you feel like you can do it, then go and do it. Dancing is definitely something I'm planning to get into (serious dancing, as no one where I'm at does country swing). I'm looking into studios in different areas where I might potentially move in the next few months that offer beginning adult dance classes.
  • DatPanna
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I'm always impressed by this community bringing REAL answers to the table. I wanted to hear about realistic expectations of dancing and from people who had experience or just honest answers in general. I hadn't thought much about joints, but luckily, mine are fair. As for the balance and flexibility, I do at least like yoga, so I'll try to incorporate that more. One concern I do have is cardio, because mine has widdled down a bit. I like jogging occasionally, so while I'm waiting for funds to come in for dance lessons, I can do that.

I don't know. Honestly, I think I was/am slightly still discouraged because not many overweight people I know dance. If anything, there are tons of viral videos making fun of people who are overweight dancing that I HAVE seen.... Which is cruel because that could be the way that person loses weight, yet people are discouraging them from doing it....

/stepsoffofsoapbox

Anyway, I would definitely regret not dancing more than I would giving others a chance to take a shot or two at me. I really hadn't thought of it like that.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I think you could dance just fine. Have you tried contra dance? It is a very fun form of social dance (which is more common in some parts of the US than others, assuming you are in the US) that originated from English country dance but is much more vigorous and fun. It's easy to find on the East and West Coasts, and there are pockets of the country all over where it is popular. I contra dance and there are definitely people of all sizes who are there and do it well.
  • DatPanna
    Options
    I've never heard of contra dance. Thank you for bringing a new style to my attention! I'll youtube it immediately. :D
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I'm always impressed by this community bringing REAL answers to the table. I wanted to hear about realistic expectations of dancing and from people who had experience or just honest answers in general. I hadn't thought much about joints, but luckily, mine are fair. As for the balance and flexibility, I do at least like yoga, so I'll try to incorporate that more. One concern I do have is cardio, because mine has widdled down a bit. I like jogging occasionally, so while I'm waiting for funds to come in for dance lessons, I can do that.

I don't know. Honestly, I think I was/am slightly still discouraged because not many overweight people I know dance. If anything, there are tons of viral videos making fun of people who are overweight dancing that I HAVE seen.... Which is cruel because that could be the way that person loses weight, yet people are discouraging them from doing it....

/stepsoffofsoapbox

Anyway, I would definitely regret not dancing more than I would giving others a chance to take a shot or two at me. I really hadn't thought of it like that.

I think that many overweight people don't dance because they are afraid they might be judged. This discourages some from taking classes at the gym as well. I am glad you are going to do it.
  • DatPanna
    Options
    Yeah, honestly, it also completely discourages me from trying out a martial art. I'm hoping that dancing could lead to me trying one of those out as well. I just found a salsa class I'm going to sign up for before I can talk myself out of it. Maybe this could serve as an inspiration to others? I dunno'! I'm just hoping it'll be fun. :)
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Do it if it's something you're interested in. Weight should be of little importance when deciding whether or not to dance.

I suffer from White Girl Syndrome so I don't dance unless drinks are involved :smile:
  • shannonalgren1
    shannonalgren1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    if u like it and can do it go for it
  • jitsuda
    jitsuda Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    One of my Zumba instructors is very very overweight. Probably around 200 lbs and 5'5"..

I love her, her playlist, her choreography, her attitude and the fun she brings to the class.

No one really cares how large she is...

Please dance :)
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    RE: Is there such a thing as being too overweight to dance?

I hope you were kidding with that topic and/or just looking for people to read and not ignore.

I encourage you to check out Ragen Chastain. Ragen is a 'fat' (I hate that word) dancer, Choreographer, Writer, and Speaker.

http://danceswithfat.wordpress.com/

She is pretty good at what she does and has an entire community of all-size dancers who follow her.

The sooner you stop caring about what others think the better you'll feel about every challenge you face.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I suffer from White Girl Syndrome so I don't dance unless drinks are involved :smile:

:laugh:

elaine-dance-o.gif
  • amindyleigh
    amindyleigh Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am overweight and I used to dance. I danced for 20 years (ballet). When I was 23 I quit mainly for work reasons. I am a nurse and the shift work was keeping me from attending classes regularly. I was significantly overweight (213lbs) when I quit. I don't think many people would have guessed that though because I was so muscular underneath. Now I weight the same, but without the muscle :(

Although it seemed a little harder for me to do some of the movements than the other students, I did them. I was really good actually.

Dance has nothing to do with weight. It's how you move your body. Mia Micheals is not a skinny person, but she can dance. I don't even realize she's overweight when she dances.

My opinion.... Just dance sister!! It's people that don't dance that make fun. You will NEVER be made fun of in a class. I guarantee it.