Is there a such thing as being too overweight to dance?

Options

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Last year I started pole dancing for fitness ( I understand that it probably has more gymnastic qualities than dance qualities). I saw some great strength and flexibility gains from pole. One of the girls at my studio was easily over 250 and lost about 60 pounds in 6-8 months. She also gained mega-confidence.

For me, pole got me into wanting to be even more flexible, so I added yoga and that has become a great addition to my fitness regimen. With the strength and muscle tone improvements I saw from pole, and the serious progression I could see in my ability to do tricks, I gained enough confidence to start Crossfit.

So yes, dance!

I have weighed anywhere from 193-175 while I was doing pole. so... I guess I'm close to the very, very overweight Zumba instructor, although my bodyfat is in the healthy range and I wear a size 8/9/10. :laugh:
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Heavens NO you aren't! You just have to get past what other people think/will think. As a 'mature' person, I find I worry less about what people will think and MORE about what I want. I like to dance, too, and do it with my students at school (elementary music teacher). I might look a little silly - not so much since I've lost 89 lbs. - but nobody cares. We're all having too much fun! In fact, all my classes (and I) did the Cupid Shuffle Friday.

Do what YOU want to do and don't worry. It will be GREAT for your health, both physical and mental.
  • Lunira
    Lunira Posts: 33
    Options
    Provided your knees and ankles can withstand the strain of whatever dancing it is you want to do, no.
  • Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have been dancing for more than 10 years now and I must say that some very overweight people are really good dancers. They are very welcome partners because of the dancing skills. So I would encourage you to begin dancing again. Put in some extra effort to learn, take group lessons and private lessons, it will be great fun, and you will burn a lot of calories.
    And don't be discouraged if the first place you go to does not seem welcoming enough, go try some other place.
    For martial arts too, find a sensei who is serious, and if you are serious about acquiring these skills, you will find respect and camaraderie there. In a dojo, students are supposed to help each other, and I found lots of support, even though I was a terrible weakling and much older than most people. In a good martial arts place, you will find support no matter your age, or looks, or anything. The main thing is your devotion to martial arts.
    Good luck to you!
  • RamonaFr
    RamonaFr Posts: 112
    Options
    Ballroom dancing is a lot of fun. I think that the foxtrot and the Viennese waltz are great workouts, and Latin dancing is too. I loved dancing until I hurt my knees -- not from dancing, from a fall -- and would still do it if I could.

Why wait for funds? Put on some music and get up and dance! BTW, I had ballroom dancing lessons for several years, once a week, by trading with the dancing school's owners. I did massage, and they taught dancing. Good trade. So maybe you could find a dance class that you can pay for by trading?
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    It makes me sad you have to ask...give YOURSELF permission, don't ask for it from others. If you love to dance then it will be good for you. And screw what other people think.
  • nancyluckhurst3
    nancyluckhurst3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    When I was 30 I weighed 275. I danced all the time. I love to dance and now I am 70. Weight has nothing to do with it. To hell with what others think. I am a very good dancer and I love to dance. My mom won many trophies ball room and swing dancing as a young girl a she never quit dancing almost to the end. She died 2008 at 94. On her 80th birthday we took her dancing and she wore everyone in the family out. She and I cleared the floor with a good jitter bug. Just remember dance like no one is watching and enjoy your life.
    Yeah, honestly, it also completely discourages me from trying out a martial art. I'm hoping that dancing could lead to me trying one of those out as well. I just found a salsa class I'm going to sign up for before I can talk myself out of it. Maybe this could serve as an inspiration to others? I dunno'! I'm just hoping it'll be fun. :)
  • Samthefrog
    Samthefrog Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Try Hula dancing! I am in the 300's and I've been doing hula dance (auana) for over 5 years. i have just started my weight loss journey again 6 months ago, and yes, my hips are a little happier with 48 lbs less of me, but I find that the hula community is accepting of people of all ages, sizes, shapes and abilities. It has really helped my confidence and gracefulness and I see a definitely see an improvement in my dance skills. And depending on how fast the song is that we're working on, I'm breaking a sweat!

To show you how size is immaterial of skill and performance ability, here's two videos of Miss Aloha Hula 2012 Lilinoe Sterling from the annual Merrie Monarch Festival in Hilo, Hawai'i. She is the epitome of grace and a true hula dancer AND she is a beautiful plus-sized woman. These are her two first-place winning dances. Find a community class or halau (hula school) in your area and give it a try!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO5qUyUBcnQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKn0RzY-TAc

ETA: Because I hit enter before I finished typing!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Kirsty alley did it...you can too
  • JazminGowdy
    Options
    You're never too overweight to dance. I know an overweight person who use do it in a wheelchair because she couldn't stand for too long. She would just move her upper body. Then she started shedding the pounds and was able to dance without the wheel chair. If she can do it, you can do it =^ ^=
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    hell no!
    Go and have fun!!
  • bingefreeaubree
    bingefreeaubree Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I say dance your heart out! It might be a bit more difficult than you remember just because you're a bit heavier now, but honestly it shouldn't be a huge difference! I gained 35 lbs before and dancing never felt any different to me. (I'm a dancer)
    If it makes you feel better, my aunt dances and this is a picture of her tap group. http://www.empirecenterofdance.com/DSC_0322.JPG There are a couple more overweight ladies, and they're still dancing! :smile:
  • Shreddingit84
    Options
    Dance girl dance!!!!!
    I was at 156 and dancing made me awesome!! :D

You need to work that core!! You need to dance Reggeaton hard!! And electro house!!
    You need to shake it and shake it well!!!!

Dancing is my life i want to die on the dance floor!!!! :D
  • DatPanna
    Options
    So, I appreciate the overwhelming support of this post. You're all wonderful and you've made me feel much more confident. I found a dance class I'm going to start. :) Super excited. Begins in two weeks. I emailed them to ask about shooooe choice. I'd eventually LOVE to find a reggaeton class.

To the "are you serious" question, yes. Yes I was. And you know, It's not uncommon for people to feel this way. I'm glad I posted this so maybe it encouraged someone like me. I'm working on my self esteem and self confidence. There are plenty of other people here working on their's too. I'm sure I'm not the only person who ever wonders things like this to the point of never joining a dance class.
  • TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    No way girl if you enjoy dancing who cares what the rest of the world think as its important what you enjoy doing not what everyone else wants and what they think is best for you I dance a lot around my home its good exercise and it don't bother me if my family laugh cause I am having fun and that is all that matters
  • DatPanna
    Options
    Aw, thank ya' Colleen. :) I should take a page or two outta' your book when it comes to my family, lol. Ya' got confidence for daaaays. ^_^
  • Flamencoflynnie
    Flamencoflynnie Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I always wanted to dance but thought I needed a partner and my husband wasn't interested. As a child I was just too shy to attend classes and there was no spare money for that anyway. A couple of years ago I started going to a flamenco dancing school in London. My aims were to get fitter, meet new people, learn a new skill and above all HAVE FUN! I can honestly say that I have achieved all of those things and more. I may not be the slimmest girl on the floor, and there are bigger people there too - but we are all there week after week, stamping our little feet off, sweating like crazy and loving every second. The mixture of people I have met is amazing - people I would never have met in my usual routine.

I am so pleased that you have found a class to suit you and I hope it brings you much happiness.

What is it they say? Dance like no one is watching......

Go rock your socks off
  • Nichole23225
    Nichole23225 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Contra dance? Never heard of that! A quick google search shows a group in my city with a dance every Saturday! I might just have to try it!
  • alwaysdance
    alwaysdance Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO OVERWEIGHT TO DANCE!!!! Trust me, I'm a salsa instructor and dance fanatic! I've met dancers from literally all over the world, with ever body type and ranging from 7 to 85 years old. The people who make the best dancers and have people lining up to dance with them are the ones who are willing to leave it all on the dance floor. Now for the part that will blow your mind, THESE ARE OFTEN LARGER WOMEN!!! Lets face it, salsa is about shaking what your momma gave ya, doesn't work so well if there is nothing to shake!
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Go for it girl.

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't dance.

As long as you are enjoying it, just go for it!

*dances around her room*