Diet soda

Options
124»

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,076 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I believe u need to ditch the soda, whether it's diet soda or regular, even with the minimum calories it doesn't aid weight loss, due to high sodium this bloats the stomach and actually dehydrates you, therefore your body wants to hold on to more eater and any additional fluids in your body, this unfortunately doesn't aid weight loss and is actually a bad habit to keep drinking soda drinks, switch to water or flavoured water, keep up the good work :-)

Meh, I drink plenty of plain water - but sometimes I like a diet coke or Pepsi max - usually around 3 or 4 glasses a week.

Has not hindered my weight loss or caused me any other problems therefore no plans to ditch it.
  • Left4Good
    Left4Good Posts: 304
    Options
    I gave up soda and tried to drink diet but it makes me feel sick. There are more bad things in it than good. I drink only water with lemon and green tea now.

If you want something to replace soda's sparking flavored water is good.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Coke Zero is an absolute miracle in a bottle. It's as if Jesus himself turned water into another nearly no cal drink that is as sweet as honey and fizzy enough to tickle your very soul.

Also makes for a wonderful vessel if you need to get rid of any cheap whiskey.
  • Jazz_2014
    Jazz_2014 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I won't debate if good or bad to drink soda. If you want to change a habit then subsitute if you cannot go cold turkey. I could not bear plain water past a half a glass. But I noticed, I really didn't need the cola or sweet teas with meals, as mostly the drink was just to wash the food down, clear the pallet and eat more.
    So I went to water with lots of lemon at restaurants. At home I infuse water with various fruit with meals and I drink hot herbal tea when I am relaxing. Herbal teas are good cold also.

Also I noticed tempature makes a difference. For sweetness I use truvia on occasion or honey in hot drink.

I have been off sodas for a while now and cannot stand anything carbonated now.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    There actually is evidence that A) sugar substitutes can alter your taste, and you will find natural, non-artificial sugars less satisfying. B) they actually stimulate your appetite, and cause you to consume more calories, through specifically carbs! Trust me on B), I did the experiment on lab rats. Weird *kitten*.
    It definitely doesn't cause you to consume more calories. The aspartame doesn't tie you to a chair and force feed you anything.
    It promotes eating more at worst.
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Diet coke itself probably won't cause any problems.

Dehydration, however, can cause oodles of health problems over time, not to mention makes weight loos harder.

If you don't drink water and are only drinking sodas, you are abusing your body,

It NEEDS water.

Caffeine is a diuretic. It flushes water out of your system. If you combine that with the only water you are getting being from your food, you are not doing your health any favors.
    Yes, dehydration is bad. No, it's not possible to get dehydrated as a direct result of drinking diet soda/tea/coffee, because the diuretic effect of the caffeine in them is minimal.

It's not minimal if it's ALL You drink and you take in no water other than from your foods. Your body was designed to get thirsty when it needs water. It's your body's way of telling you you need more water. Taking in even a "minimal" amount of a diuretic makes no sense if your body needs more water. It's like using a stepstool, but digging a hole to put it in first. You might get a little bit higher, but your method was completely illogical.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19774754

CONCLUSION:
    The most ecologically valid of the published studies offers no support for the suggestion that consumption of caffeine-containing beverages as part of a normal lifestyle leads to fluid loss in excess of the volume ingested or is associated with poor hydration status. Therefore, there would appear to be no clear basis for refraining from caffeine containing drinks in situations where fluid balance might be compromised.
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    You can pry my diet soda from my cold, dead hand!!!!:devil: :devil:
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    let's be honest, if everyone stopped doing everything that MIGHT possibly be harmful to them, we'd all be living in a boring padded room with doctors monitoring us at all times of the day and night.

Being healthy is great, but if you have a vice, diet pop is not the worst one in the world :)
  • thewhitedragonfly
    Options
    It can make you bloated and some people get headaches, some get sugar cravings, others just don't feel well afterwards. If this doesn't apply to you and you like diet soda, drink it :smile:
  • the_nerdgasm
    the_nerdgasm Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don't drink it often myself, but that's because it makes me super hungry. I'll spend the rest of the day overeating if I drink even a 12 oz diet soda. I still do, occasionally, because I like the taste, but I try to limit it. As far as weight loss, if it doesn't make you hungry or give you headaches or anything, I'd assume you'd be fine.