BEST weight loss advice!!!!! Simple & easy

Options

Replies

• wanna_b_there
    wanna_b_there Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be a creep, but you might inspire more confidence if you actually had a pic of yourself while rubbing people's noses in their own failings.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    But if weight loss really was that simple, this site wouldn't exist.
    Actually, for the majority of the overweight population, weight loss really IS that simple. However, simple does not mean easy. That's why most of us are here: to learn the simple facts, and then get support when it's not easy.

For those of you asking "if that equation is true why did I gain weight eating the same way after I started taking a medication?!?!" Well, it's because that medication changed the "calories out" part of the equation...not because the equation is invalid.

That makes sense. Maybe a lower heart rate or shallower breathing or other energy-using biological activities that if slowed even a little bit, over 24 hours, can lower BMR/TDEE. But all I'm saying is that, in the same way that medication could cause such a thing, couldn't internal endocrine balance (or imbalance) cause a similar decrease in "calories out"? And couldn't low calorie dieting cause the endocrine changes necessary to precipitate lower BMR/TDEE?
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Calories out > calories in ---> Weight loss

Calories out = calories in ---> Maintain weight

Calories out < Calories in ---> Weight gain

That's all. This should get rid of 99% of stupid posts of people complaining they are not losing weight even though they are at a deficit....

1. There are many more variables involved when it comes to weight loss.

2. Insulting people for their "stupid" posts is not the way to make a point. It reflects badly upon you.
  • foodiscomplicated
    foodiscomplicated Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    OP, watch this clip then post your observations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i_cmltmQ6A
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Actually, for the majority of the overweight population, weight loss really IS that simple. However, simple does not mean easy. That's why most of us are here: to learn the simple facts, and then get support when it's not easy.

For those of you asking "if that equation is true why did I gain weight eating the same way after I started taking a medication?!?!" Well, it's because that medication changed the "calories out" part of the equation...not because the equation is invalid.

That makes sense. Maybe a lower heart rate or shallower breathing or other energy-using biological activities that if slowed even a little bit, over 24 hours, can lower BMR/TDEE. But all I'm saying is that, in the same way that medication could cause such a thing, couldn't internal endocrine balance (or imbalance) cause a similar decrease in "calories out"? And couldn't low calorie dieting cause the endocrine changes necessary to precipitate lower BMR/TDEE?
    It appears people that are overweight have a higher BMR.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    LOL nice try my furry friend…but me thinks the derp on the threads will continue...
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    There will always be terminally unique individuals who have "tried everything" and it just doesn't work for them because they are terminally unique special snowflakes. But there are also loads of honestly confused persons trying to troubleshoot their weight loss journey. I'm a big fan of the snarky remarks; they're rather entertaining, just wish there were a snark filter for those who get hurt by the "tough love" approach.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

That's all. This should get rid of 99% of stupid posts of people complaining they are not losing weight even though they are at a deficit....
    I absolute hate it when people say that.. because its not true.
    One of the reasons its not true is because, Weight loss is not linear.
    Two - People are not perfect nor do we live in a lab
    Three - There is no way we can tell exactly how much calories we burn. although the HRM gives me a certain number of calories burned, It may not be a true number.
    Four. -- too much salt, will keep the water, and prevent you from loosing weight
    Five - Too much water, will prevent you from loosing weight.
    Six - There are reports out there that says too little water will prevent you from loosing weight.

we don't live in a control environment, and although it works perfectly for you and for the next 10 people, I will guarantee you that for the next 100 people it wont work.

oh snap! water makes you fat now?!? Dr. Oz told ya? :laugh:
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Pretty strong words coming from someone who has a baby pig as a profile pic. LOL.

In most cases it might be that simple, but weight loss is not a black and white issue. It is different for every person.

at the end of the day it all boils down to calories in vs calories out. So, no it is not different for every person ..

Now, the amount of calories you need to lose, maintain, gain will be different….but the concept is the same for all of us ….

This is barring any medical condition ...
  • bizzehdee
    bizzehdee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    "one jaffa cake wont count" "this butter wont count on this bread" "its rice, it doesnt have BAD calories in it" are the reason that people think they are in a deficit. because they dont count everything, or are lying to themselves to be able to eat more than they should.

Another reason people think they are in deficit is because they dont know their REAL daily calorie limit, to know this, you need to work our your BMR (http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/) then use the Harris Benedict Equation (http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/) to work out what you REALLY should and should not be eating.
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options

It appears people that are overweight have a higher BMR.

Sorry, I don't follow. Yes, being overweight generally provides a higher BMR, but I'm asking if it could be possible that there could be endocrine changes that might alter/lower BMR in the same way that some medications seem to do, but with an underlying cause of said changes being as a result of very low calorie diet. In other words, could it be that people hit a plateau because their hormones/etc cause a reduction in BMR in response to very low calorie dieting.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options

It annoys me when people complain about posts! We are all here to help each other! Weight loss is more complicated than that else we all wouldn't be here! You don't seem like a very patient person. I suggest you find another message board....like for intolerant impatient people!!!

No we are not ALL here to help each other...
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I think some of you are missing the OP's point.

Nah. I think the point was pretty clear.

I have definitely noticed a group of posters here who seem to have a negative attitude towards people who haven't yet "gotten it". I assume by their posts that they are here because they never needed any help and they are perfect.

Honestly, I don't know if the OP is one of those people. There are a lot of them here and I am pretty new, so I haven't figured out who all of them are yet. But this post smacks of that kind of attitude.

What is incorrect about a calorie deficit needing to exist in order to lose weight?
    Why do you think 65% of the population is overweight and obese?

A calorie intake that is greater than a calorie output.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Interesting in its simplicity, however I do have a question based on what you said. If someone is "at a deficit" as you say, I assume they would be in the "Calories out > calories in ---> Weight loss" category, right? IF this is the case, why, then, are they not losing weight?

I believe what you posted is a great rule of thumb, however there are additional factors which can confound such a straight-forward paradigm.

more than likely they are not properly tracking their calories. A lot of people say "help, I am not losing" and when asked if they weigh/measure/log everything the reply is "no". It is basic math ..if you eat less than you burn you are going to lose weight…

Over the long run some people that chronically under eat may have metabolic damage, but even these people will still lose, all be it at a much slower pace.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Oversimplified post is oversimplified.

As a general (very, very, general) rule, sure.

But it's the quality of calories in. Eating 1200 calories of chocolate bars every day may allow you to lose a little weight, but your body won't be in good shape. It's all about nutrition and what your body needs.

sorry ….incorrect…

ever heard of the twinkie diet or the mcdonalds diet? Those people ate said foods ALL the time and lose just as much weight as someone eating "healthy" foods.

A calorie deficit is the same for me if I eat 2000 calories a day in chocolate or 2000 calories a day in vegetables...
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    It's not always so simple.

I had successfully lost 91 lbs by eating at a calorie deficit (1200 cal a day). I faithfully logged everything I ate and drank into a desktop program similar to MFP. Suddenly I stopped losing. I kept adhering to the diet, even trying various approaches such as calorie staggering, lowering carbs, etc., and logging in everything I ate, but I didn't lose one ounce in an entire year. Due to being disabled, I was unable to increase my exercise.

At that point, after researching, I decided to switch to a vegan diet. I lost 35 more pounds for a total of 126 lbs. I was able to eat 1300 to 1400 calories a day on the vegan diet and still lose. The diet was so restrictive, that I couldn't stay on it beyond the 6 month period, though. So, I went back to the original diet plan's maintenance program and kept off the weight for a few years until I had a two year period of steady illness and injuries, and I put the weight back on.

This time when resuming my diet, I spoke to a diet doctor who advised me that the reason I stopped losing before was that my calorie deficit was too low, which caused my metabolism to slow down, which in turn caused me to stop losing weight. He said switching to a vegan diet reset my metabolism and caused weight loss to start again. So, the doctor told me that this time, I must eat 1500 calories a day. He said as my weight lowers, my ideal calorie deficit amount will lower and at those intervals, we can drop my calorie intake accordingly.

The body is very complex, and weight loss can be just as complex.
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    Pretty strong words coming from someone who has a baby pig as a profile pic. LOL.

In most cases it might be that simple, but weight loss is not a black and white issue. It is different for every person.

at the end of the day it all boils down to calories in vs calories out. So, no it is not different for every person ..

Now, the amount of calories you need to lose, maintain, gain will be different….but the concept is the same for all of us ….

See? Right there. That's what I mean. "barring any medical condition" Is there a medical condition which overcomes the laws of physics?? No. Of course not. It's still calories in vs. calories out. But these things could possibly be very....um, let's say, "unnatural" or "skewed" with certain "medical conditions", right? Which is why that little caveat is always stated ("barring any medical condition" or "barring any medications", etc). So isnt' it possible that prolonged very low calorie dieting could CAUSE a medical condition such as would fall into the category of that caveat?

(btw, I'm not saying I'm a special snowflake. I'm stuck at the moment because I love to eat and because I'm taking the slow route to fat loss, but I think it is insensitive and ignorant to not recognize that there could be cases in which people do everything that they THINK is right, but don't get the results they expect, because they create a bodily condition which alters the calories in vs. calories out equation FOR THEM to such a degree that what they are trying to achieve in the way they are trying to achieve it becomes virtually impossible.)
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is calories in < calories out, no exceptions.

The problem comes from it's impossible to calculate exactly how many calories you're taking in and putting out. You may burn more calories just existing one day than the day before, the food you eat can be inaccurately labeled, you may be on a medication that reduces the number of calories you use daily without you knowing it. Calculators help, but there are too many variables that change your calorie counts to be 100% accurate.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    LOLZ at the special snowflakes in this thread that re denying it is calories in vs calories out…

Question, for all the naysayers..if it is not calories in vs calories out, then how are you going to lose weight? Eat in a calorie surplus?

Here is what I will say…if you want to lose weight follow the following plan.

create a 500 calorie per day deficit.
    set macros to 40p/30c/30f
    work out move more (if you want) if you want to, I suggest a program of compound lifting
    follow 80/20 rule and eat about 80% healthy and 20% whatever you want ice cream, pizza, etc
    do not restrict whole food groups and label foods "good" or bad"..

Over the past seven years that is what I have learned and that is what has worked for me...
  • ndj1979
    Options

See? Right there. That's what I mean. "barring any medical condition" Is there a medical condition which overcomes the laws of physics?? No. Of course not. It's still calories in vs. calories out. But these things could possibly be very....um, let's say, "unnatural" or "skewed" with certain "medical conditions", right? Which is why that little caveat is always stated ("barring any medical condition" or "barring any medications", etc). So isnt' it possible that prolonged very low calorie dieting could CAUSE a medical condition such as would fall into the category of that caveat?

(btw, I'm not saying I'm a special snowflake. I'm stuck at the moment because I love to eat and because I'm taking the slow route to fat loss, but I think it is insensitive and ignorant to not recognize that there could be cases in which people do everything that they THINK is right, but don't get the results they expect, because they create a bodily condition which alters the calories in vs. calories out equation FOR THEM to such a degree that what they are trying to achieve in the way they are trying to achieve it becomes virtually impossible.)

Ok - let me clarify …if one does not know that they have a thyroid condition and thinks that they are restricting to a deficit, but their condition has them at maintenance then they will not lose and will need to see a Dr to get medicine for said medical condition….once the person is aware of the said medical condition then they can create a calorie deficit and lose weight…better?