BEST weight loss advice!!!!! Simple & easy

Options

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    It's not always so simple.

I had successfully lost 91 lbs by eating at a calorie deficit (1200 cal a day). I faithfully logged everything I ate and drank into a desktop program similar to MFP. Suddenly I stopped losing. I kept adhering to the diet, even trying various approaches such as calorie staggering, lowering carbs, etc., and logging in everything I ate, but I didn't lose one ounce in an entire year. Due to being disabled, I was unable to increase my exercise.

At that point, after researching, I decided to switch to a vegan diet. I lost 35 more pounds for a total of 126 lbs. I was able to eat 1300 to 1400 calories a day on the vegan diet and still lose. The diet was so restrictive, that I couldn't stay on it beyond the 6 month period, though. So, I went back to the original diet plan's maintenance program and kept off the weight for a few years until I had a two year period of steady illness and injuries, and I put the weight back on.

This time when resuming my diet, I spoke to a diet doctor who advised me that the reason I stopped losing before was that my calorie deficit was too low, which caused my metabolism to slow down, which in turn caused me to stop losing weight. He said switching to a vegan diet reset my metabolism and caused weight loss to start again. So, the doctor told me that this time, I must eat 1500 calories a day. He said as my weight lowers, my ideal calorie deficit amount will lower and at those intervals, we can drop my calorie intake accordingly.

The body is very complex, and weight loss can be just as complex.

What you're saying is essentially calories in vs out. Your low calorie intake messed up your metabolism, reducing the output portion of the equation and eliminating the deficit. Once the output portion was back on track, the deficit was restored and the weight came off. And we all need to reduce our calorie deficits as we lose weight and get closer to goal, which is why MFP tells us to change our goal loss per week as we lose and people switch to a 1/2 lb per week loss as they get closer to goal.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    How does one determine calories out?
    HRM's are not correct
    Exercise Machines are not correct.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I think some of you are missing the OP's point.

Nah. I think the point was pretty clear.

I have definitely noticed a group of posters here who seem to have a negative attitude towards people who haven't yet "gotten it". I assume by their posts that they are here because they never needed any help and they are perfect.

Honestly, I don't know if the OP is one of those people. There are a lot of them here and I am pretty new, so I haven't figured out who all of them are yet. But this post smacks of that kind of attitude.

there is a group of posters on here that do not believe in the following:

juice/water fasts
    starvation level diets
    fad diets
    raspberry ketones
    cleanses
    sugar and carbs being the devil
    and restricting whole food groups

their basic premise is that people can eat in a deficit, eat the foods they want, and have long term success and they are trying to share that knowledge with other people.

I tried a lot of bunk stuff when I first started = six small meals a day to boost metabolism, no carbs after 6pm, carbs are bad, sugar is bad, etc….I wish I would of known back then, when I started, what I know now. It would of made my path a lot easier…

These people are not being negative but are trying to help ….now they get slightly snarky when seeing the same threads over and over about people saying 'calories in vs calories out for me does not work" or "carbs are bad and make fat, so I am cutting them all out" or "should I do this master cleanse" and on and on….

I tend to listen to people who have had long term success in whatever it is they are doing - diet, work, life, etc….

So not sure why this is perceived as negative...
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    HRM's are not correct
    Trial and error. You can use calculators to get an idea and then just change the numbers until you find what works. It's impossible to calculate the exact number. That doesn't mean the science is wrong.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    HRM's are not correct

A better way is to figure out maintenance level calories with exercise and then go from there…

Example - by trial and error I have figured out that my maintenance level is right about 2500 a day…if I eat 2000 calories a day - with exercise - I will lose about 1 pound a week; if I eat 3000 calories a day I will gain about a pound per week…

I discovered this through trial and error with the scale…..eat what you think is maintenance for a week and then see if you gain or lose….if you do not gain or lose then you have found maintenance...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ...before a competition for about 2 weeks I'd almost double my training. HOWEVER, in that time frame, I'd gain about 2-3lbs...It was muscle weight so I didn't mind

No, it was not "muscle weight", unless your "closely monitored" diet included regular supplements of anabolic steroids.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ...before a competition for about 2 weeks I'd almost double my training. HOWEVER, in that time frame, I'd gain about 2-3lbs...It was muscle weight so I didn't mind

No, it was not "muscle weight", unless your "closely monitored" diet included regular supplements of anabolic steroids.

my guess would be water retention to repair damaged muscles from intense training..

or

they started feeding this person a little bit more and they were actually in a surplus...
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    yay go ndj1979 <3
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

special snowflakes gonna snowflake
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Pretty strong words coming from someone who has a baby pig as a profile pic. LOL.

In most cases it might be that simple, but weight loss is not a black and white issue. It is different for every person.

at the end of the day it all boils down to calories in vs calories out. So, no it is not different for every person ..

Now, the amount of calories you need to lose, maintain, gain will be different….but the concept is the same for all of us ….

This is barring any medical condition ...

So what your saying is, If I only at 500 calories a day, I should see the scale go down.
    you wanna make a wager on this?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Pretty strong words coming from someone who has a baby pig as a profile pic. LOL.

In most cases it might be that simple, but weight loss is not a black and white issue. It is different for every person.

at the end of the day it all boils down to calories in vs calories out. So, no it is not different for every person ..

Now, the amount of calories you need to lose, maintain, gain will be different….but the concept is the same for all of us ….

So what your saying is, If I only at 500 calories a day, I should see the scale go down.

yes, on a 500 calorie diet you will lose weight. It will be a lot of muscle and what not, but you will lose weight.

why do you think you would not lose weight eating 500 a day? Even seen pictures from concentration camps, how many calories per day do you think those people ate?

If what you are suggesting is true, then mass starvation would not be possible and everyone in Africa would be fat and happy …

so how much are we betting on this..10k?

are you saying on 5000 calories a day you will lose weight?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

Sure, let's trust some guy on the internet to be honest about not losing on 500 calories a day when study after study has demonstrated it's a matter of calories in calories out. If you don't want to listen to science and experience, be my guest to visit Dr. Oz and the rest of the tinfoil hat crowd. It's your life and your body. Hammer away at it. The rest of us will continue to cut and bulk at will based on calories in vs. calories out.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    There are some people who have medical issues or are on meds that mess with their ability to lose weight... However, I think most people don't lose because they are underestimating the number of calories they consume. It's easy to do!

But that doesn't negate OP's post.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Actually, it's not as simple as that. I used to be a competitive skater and before a competition for about 2 weeks I'd almost double my training. HOWEVER, in that time frame, I'd gain about 2-3lbs, even though I was eating the exact same thing. I know I wasn't under estimating because my diet was VERY closely monitored, as in I followed a meal plan and never had anything outside of it.

It also has to do with what your body chooses to adsorb and keep. In those two weeks, my body would keep more of the protein that I was eating and so I put on weight. It was muscle weight so I didn't mind. When I'm really stressed, my weight will drop like crazy, not because I'm not eating but because my body just isn't absorbing any of it.

A better example would be someone who has a cup of coffee everyday. Skipping their morning brew will see themselves gaining about half a pound that day as they would be retaining more water than they usually are.

But the fact is, there are many things that contribute to weight, not just calories.

Doubling your training volume? Easy: Water weight. Muscles retain water when stressed beyond their usual capacity.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Calories out > calories in ---> Weight loss

Calories out = calories in ---> Maintain weight

Calories out < Calories in ---> Weight gain

That's all. This should get rid of 99% of stupid posts of people complaining they are not losing weight even though they are at a deficit....

It annoys me when people complain about posts! We are all here to help each other! Weight loss is more complicated than that else we all wouldn't be here! You don't seem like a very patient person. I suggest you find another message board....like for intolerant impatient people!!!

We are here to help people, and OP's post was too strong IMO. But the essence of the post is true: Weight loss is NOT complicated. :smile:
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options

That's all. This should get rid of 99% of stupid posts of people complaining they are not losing weight even though they are at a deficit....

It annoys me when people complain about posts! We are all here to help each other! Weight loss is more complicated than that else we all wouldn't be here! You don't seem like a very patient person. I suggest you find another message board....like for intolerant impatient people!!!

We are here to help people, and OP's post was too strong IMO. But the essence of the post is true: Weight loss is NOT complicated. :smile:

See? Not that hard to be tactful and avoid name-calling:flowerforyou:
  • QuietBloom
    Options

I absolute hate it when people say that.. because its not true.
    One of the reasons its not true is because, Weight loss is not linear.
    Two - People are not perfect nor do we live in a lab
    Three - There is no way we can tell exactly how much calories we burn. although the HRM gives me a certain number of calories burned, It may not be a true number.
    Four. -- too much salt, will keep the water, and prevent you from loosing weight
    Five - Too much water, will prevent you from loosing weight.
    Six - There are reports out there that says too little water will prevent you from loosing weight.

we don't live in a control environment, and although it works perfectly for you and for the next 10 people, I will guarantee you that for the next 100 people it wont work.

I'd like to see the studies that show too little water keeps you from losing weight.

All of your reasons why it is not 'eat less than you burn', are meaningless. I'm sorry - I don't understand why people want to try and make it sooo complicated.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    There are some people who have medical issues or are on meds that mess with their ability to lose weight... However, I think most people don't lose because they are underestimating the number of calories they consume. It's easy to do!

Actually, I've always wondered about the meds thing. It seems that people say "LAW says: calories in vs. calories out, no exception" UNTIL there's talk of certain birth control pills or oral steroids, etc. So, what happens with those drugs--do they just cause the people to eat more without them knowing it, or does it make them sit on the couch more without them noticing? (Serious question; no snark)

Some medications make people more hungry. Some make them move less. Some cause water retention. It is still the same equation in the end, one just has to figure out how many calories they are burning and eat fewer than that to lose weight.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    " 'Weight loss' is not complicated."

But I will say again:
    Sometimes, even if the answer is right, it is the question that is wrong.

Who REALLY wants to lose weight?!?!

It is FAT loss that we are looking for (in the same way that a bodybuilder doesn't want to gain WEIGHT, s/he wants to gain muscle mass).

And I don't believe that "fat loss" is as "simple & easy" as weight loss.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    In for the special snowflakes, butt hurt and general snide remarks made to those of us who believe...no wait...know

it is simple as calories in<calories out=weight loss

We have never said it's easy...just simple

I know if I eat 2500 calories a day I too will gain 1lb a week...
    I know if I eat 2000 calories a day I will maintain my current weight
    I know if I eat under 2000 caloires a day I will lose weight
    I know if I eat under 1200 calories a day for an extended period of time I will get hangry, screw my metabolism and not have the body I want

How do I know that Science says so...and those numbers are not arbitrary either...those are cold hard facts from tracking with a scale for long time...

I eventually will be able to eat more then 2000 calories and not gain weight...why because I lift weights and that means I am maintaining muscle mass...then I am gonna bulk and build some more...so I can eat all the foodz

For those who "choose" not to believe this...have fun with your weight loss and being Hangry all the time...

*waits to post butt hurt report*