Options

Replies

• AllyBooMommyof2
    Options
    Love
  • MarlaVSings
    MarlaVSings Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    This is the best post I've seen on here since starting on MFP. Thank you for posting this!

I have had success with weight loss in the past and felt every single point you posted. I remember all the increased self-doubt, distorted body image, as well as all the new attention I was getting from people, it felt overwhelming. I feel like when I start losing weight my body is my enemy and my mind is my friend, but as I have lost weight the roles would switch.
  • kdsp2911
    kdsp2911 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have honestly been surprised at how hard the emotional struggle has been. There have been days I wanted to burst into tears while putting on clothes. All my bigger sizes are way too big and my smaller sizes are just starting to fit, still have some that don't fit like I would like. I've also had issues with how clothes feel now. My mind is stuck in what they felt like before and how that looked, but now it may FEEL the same, or FEEL like it doesn't fit, but it LOOKS fine. I've had a very hard time with that.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Great post.

I've not had to deal with some of those things- as I've never had any more than 15-20 to lose and was always muscular and "in shape" - sometimes it was just different types of shapes for different goals.

But you still have self conscious issues- you still have mental issues.
    You realize food does affect your body- it can really impact your functional level.
    Goals change - and that's okay.
    Maintenance is hard to do- but it's okay- ti's not a fixed process.

I think that's the biggest lesson- well two ... no one has time for anything they don't care about.
    Priorities make the difference- and two- *kitten* happens.
    You will not ALWAYS go to the gym. Some days you'll be under calories- some days' you'll be over. But as long as you stay on track GENERALLY you will succeed.

good job everyone for the success and hard work- it's definitely work- no question about it. Anyone who says it's not a difficult journey- is completely wrong.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Excellent post.

Plus an additional one.

"You become very adept at putting new holes in your belt"
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Another thing to add is that despite how proud of your new figure you may be, you'll probably end up hiding even more of it than you used to depending on where you live. When you lose weight, you get SO SENSITIVE to the cold!!! Turns out fat does have ONE use - keeping you warm! This winter has been awful for me xD
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    This is so true........
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I'd personally add: your weightloss, your muscular improvement, your results are not going to be linearly connected to the effort you put in it. You might find yourself disappointed in the way your body works, this doesn't mean that you're body isn't working or you should not be proud of your improvements.
  • hammerup
    hammerup Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What they don't tell you is that you'll be Proud!
    Started Jan 1, 2014 at 223, this morning, Jan 27, 2014, the scale showed 213. I'm proud!
    It's only 10 pounds, have 14 more to go, but I'm on a roll now, not going to stop.
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling like numbers 2-4 lately. I am prepared for this to take as long as it needs to, but when I hit a plateau it annoys me and I just want to stop for a while. But that's just not going to happen. Also, I had no idea that once I started my journey I would get so much unsolicited advice about 'what I should be doing' because it worked for so and so. No thanks lol. I realize they want to share because they're excited and they'd like to help so I'm sure we'll find a happy medium.
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    This is a great post and I can relate to a lot of the points made here, especially the mental piece. Here's hoping the mind catches up with the body soon!
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Sooo much relevance here! Thanks for a great post!!
  • KariQuiteContrary
    KariQuiteContrary Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    So good for so many on here to see this. I think we often forget that this is a lifestyle change not a quick fix and while weight loss and fitness are great, they're not a time machine ;)
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    This is great. I have a long road ahead of me and I know it won't be easy. It's good to see these things ahead of time to know what to expect.
  • jennz81
    jennz81 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Excellent thread. :) Bumping this so others can see it.
  • shenica1
    shenica1 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm new and totally enjoyed the read. Thanks for posting.
  • proudjmmom
    proudjmmom Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Love this post! So very true! This has been the hardest thing I have ever done emotionally. And no, I don't look or feel the same as I did when I was this weight 12 years ago. At 115lbs, I thought I was fat.....I would give anything to look like that now. 2 babies later, plus a big weight loss, its not going to happen for me. Time for me to accept the fact, and be happy with where I am.

Thanks for posting, I needed this today!
  • StarFit4Life
    StarFit4Life Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    love this
  • purplemurfy
    purplemurfy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    What they don't tell you is that you'll be Proud!
    Started Jan 1, 2014 at 223, this morning, Jan 27, 2014, the scale showed 213. I'm proud!
    It's only 10 pounds, have 14 more to go, but I'm on a roll now, not going to stop.

Don't say ONLY. 10lb is awesome!!!
  • jtarmom
    jtarmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I think that's the biggest lesson- well two ... no one has time for anything they don't care about.
    Priorities make the difference- and two- *kitten* happens.
    You will not ALWAYS go to the gym. Some days you'll be under calories- some days' you'll be over. But as long as you stay on track GENERALLY you will succeed.

good job everyone for the success and hard work- it's definitely work- no question about it. Anyone who says it's not a difficult journey- is completely wrong.

Love this! Thank you!!