2000 reasons why GMO foods are safe

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    . That's all I need to see. Proof positive that it's not good to mess with the genetic of food.
    We've been doing it since the invention of agriculture.
    Take off the tin foil hat.
    Humans are a part of nature do you not know...

we have?? Interesting to know that before we had the ability to manipulate genes we were doing it.

What does humans being part of nature have to do with anything?

You don't need microbiology to breed plants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_breeding#History

INB4 "wikipedia is not a valid information source"

Yes.. but that is what we do *now* and what we are talking about.. right???

Cross breeding is now called genetic engineering. (GE) And some of it is forced, meaning 2 plants that would not cross breed in nature are forced together. I'm on the fence about this practice. I am not a fan of plants that have chemicals injected into their seeds, or plants that have been altered in a lab using biology. It's a fact that plants change over time naturally. Just like animals do, just like humans did. Evolution is not the same thing as what GMO is. And I am not a believer in "better living through chemicals"

I am not going to try to change your mind. We all have opinions. Mine do not have to agree with yours.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    What a joke. Just like cigarettes were supposed to be safe.............. Talk to me in 20 years when you have a horn growing out of your head and you glow in the dark. :)

Yah unicorns....Im in

ETA: we have been eating GMO food since the 70's....ever wonder why Bananas don't have seeds????? so is that another 20 years? or 20 years period...

Looks for Horns on self and kids and husband...nope none.
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    In because since I work in a science based profession I find this amusing

Ditto. I even work in genetics *shock horror* :noway:

It makes me laugh when people use the "BUT MONSANTO" argument. They don't control all GM research you know...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    What a joke. Just like cigarettes were supposed to be safe.............. Talk to me in 20 years when you have a horn growing out of your head and you glow in the dark. :)

Actually I just read that there are people who did grow a horn.. They discovered this by looking at cadavers, and says it more likely to happen in 3rd world countries and to the elderly. And they're not talking about the people who do body modifications and implant one.

Right, let's see some proof of this please?

I don't have the book with me to see where their source is, but here is what the internet has to say.. for whatever that is worth,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutaneous_horn

not sure wikipedia is the best source......
  • bio_fit

Am I afraid of eating GMOs....no. We've been eating them for quite a while now. I am not afraid of any human safety aspect,
    Like you, my only concern is the potential environmental impact. From a health perspective, I don't really see a problem.

You should be concerned about eating any "plant" that is registered with the EPA as an insecticide.

Many plants have natural insecticides, will you not eat those either?

Again....emphasis on registered as a pesticide with the EPA. Pesticide=formulated in a lab to kill living organisms. Naturally occurring bacteria in healthy plants? Absolutely non-comparable.

I would be VERY surprised if pyrethrin wasn't registered.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    In to agree!
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    . That's all I need to see. Proof positive that it's not good to mess with the genetic of food.
    We've been doing it since the invention of agriculture.
    Take off the tin foil hat.
    Humans are a part of nature do you not know...

we have?? Interesting to know that before we had the ability to manipulate genes we were doing it.

What does humans being part of nature have to do with anything?

You don't need microbiology to breed plants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_breeding#History

INB4 "wikipedia is not a valid information source"

Yes.. but that is what we do *now* and what we are talking about.. right???

Cross breeding is now called genetic engineering. (GE) And some of it is forced, meaning 2 plants that would not cross breed in nature are forced together. I'm on the fence about this practice. I am not a fan of plants that have chemicals injected into their seeds, or plants that have been altered in a lab using biology. It's a fact that plants change over time naturally. Just like animals do, just like humans did. Evolution is not the same thing as what GMO is. And I am not a believer in "better living through chemicals"

I am not going to try to change your mind. We all have opinions. Mine do not have to agree with yours.

Um, cross breeding is still, as far as I know, cross breeding. Genetic Engineering is what we do in labs; Genetically Modified Organisms are the result of that engineering.
  • bio_fit
    It has nothing to do with education, chemicals in food are bad, except it and move on!

Clearly, from your response, it has EVERYTHING to do with education.

we-love-chemicals-620.jpg
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    In because since I work in a science based profession I find this amusing
    I don't work in science and I find this amusing.
    tumblr_muu5rguryz1sj3oxho1_400.gif
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member

Am I afraid of eating GMOs....no. We've been eating them for quite a while now. I am not afraid of any human safety aspect,
    Like you, my only concern is the potential environmental impact. From a health perspective, I don't really see a problem.

You should be concerned about eating any "plant" that is registered with the EPA as an insecticide.

Again....emphasis on registered as a pesticide with the EPA. Pesticide=formulated in a lab to kill living organisms. Naturally occurring bacteria in healthy plants? Absolutely non-comparable.

Pyrethrins aren't sold as a food item. BT corn is. So I am not sure as to what point you are trying to make?

Pyrethrins~as they occur naturally aren't found in foods--just certain flowers. As derived for being used as an insecticide, they require a synergist ( additional chemicals). Used alone it is biodegradable, hence it's use in organic farming.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    To be fair it's not so much the argument whether they're safe to eat or not that gets me (although I do feel they should be labeled and then everyone can make their own decision which I think's fair, no?) it's the fact that some plants with insecticide properties are devastating bee populations which is as worrying as hell if you realise the implications and also the patents mean a lot of farmers end up stuck paying Monsanto fees on new seed they've harvested themselves from the previous crop, this is really devastating the finances of some third world farmers, as you end up paying renewal fees for years instead of just buying seed once. :/
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    I do wish GMO food were labeled better. I'd prefer not to eat them.

Why?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    I simply have zero patience for those who mock science on the internet.

Do you know how every part of your phone works? Guess you better throw it away...

You may have a point... however, I don't plan on eating my phone anytime soon... :happy:

The point is you don't understand something, therefore you are scared of it

Y'all aren't even worth my time. This site has the most immature group of adults on it that I have ever seen.
  • enjoythesound
    enjoythesound Posts: 89 Member
    Having a degree in plant biotechnologies, all I have to say is we do not have enough hindsight to say it's 100% safe or not!
    From what we now it's not worst than any additives that are already in our food! But I think the general public is not well informed, positvely or negatively. I see a lot of shinfo and a lot of misinformation.

I'm pro GMO when it's under stricty controlled conditions. You can't even think of what you can do with genetics and molecular technologies in a good way! But I totaly agree when it's about food. We should all know what's in our plates and be able to chose to eat it or not! Food labelling is the key!

And keep in mind that in every technology there is a good and a bad side, that's why it is always better to put limits from the start!

That being said, I'm lucky enough to live in a country with strict rules on GMO concerning food! (well it's not really a good point when it comes to job searching for me but yeah XD)
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Well, I was not trying to convince anyone of anything. I am simply posting an article i felt would be of interest.

And it is interesting. And it includes a link to a peer-reviewed article! I am going to read it but I seriously doubt nay sayers will. Being a chemical engineer I understand the concept behind this and how well managed and controlled it is, thus how safe it is when managed properly. So, I'm in for drought-resistant, pest-resistant, and safe foods so we don't have to use so many nasty cancer causing chemicals on them.
  • bio_fit
    He was being sarcastic

Oops... I've obviously got to used to seeing too much crazy talk :laugh:
  • Confuzzled4ever

Actually I just read that there are people who did grow a horn.. They discovered this by looking at cadavers, and says it more likely to happen in 3rd world countries and to the elderly. And they're not talking about the people who do body modifications and implant one.

I don't have the book with me to see where their source is, but here is what the internet has to say.. for whatever that is worth,

How does that link prove that GMOs grew horns in people?

I see "The cause of cutaneous horns is still unknown, but it is believed that exposure to radiation can trigger the condition. This is evidenced by a higher rate of cases occurring on the face and hands, areas that are often exposed to sunlight. Other cases have reported cutaneous horns arising from burn scars.[3] As with many other wart-like skin conditions, a link to the HPV virus family, especially the HPV-2 subtype has been suggested.[4]"

I didn't say it did.. i just made a comment on a comment.
  • Confuzzled4ever

So you don't have a source for your claim, and the best you can do is link to Wikipedia for an article saying what a horn IS, not that they're caused by GMO's.

So you run around and say "There's evidence that GMO's cause people in third world countries to grown horns. It's true!" when in fact, it isn't.

Your screen name was a wise choice.

haha.. i didn't say they caused horns.. that was someone else.. i just said.. hey look people have grown horns..

i just read it last night in a book i'm reading about useless knowledge ..and it was news to me.. whether it was GMO caused or not i did not say. Silly to issue a threat on something that already occurs. lol

I love the GMO threads. :~)
  • Confuzzled4ever

And possibly responsible for killing off the honey bees.

People do realize that if the honey bees are killed off we will have no way to grow food unless someone is going to manually go and do the job of the honey bee and pollinate the plants.

Thanks to the likes of Monsanto we will probably not have a food supply in the coming future.

Doesn't know if GMO's are responsible for killing off bees.

Blames GMO's for killing bees. And predicts one company that makes GMO's will likely destroy human life on the planet.

Reasonable use of logic.

don't' know which side of the argument this falls on... but here ya go..

http://www.ars.usda.gov/news/docs.htm?docid=15572
  • bio_fit

Pyrethrins aren't sold as a food item. BT corn is. So I am not sure as to what point you are trying to make?

Pyrethrins~as they occur naturally aren't found in foods--just certain flowers. As derived for being used as an insecticide, they require a synergist ( additional chemicals). Used alone it is biodegradable, hence it's use in organic farming.

You suggested that pesticides registered with the EPA are all formulated in the lab - I was offering an example of a pesticide that occurs naturally. That was the point I was trying to make.