Freelee the banana girl rant

Options

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I have never seen any of her videos nor do I plan on it.

However, in the
    80/10/10 February Cleanse" thread, someone pointed out that she has a history of eating disorders.

Yep, that was me :) From her website under the About Me tab, right at the top, she starts out her intro with this-

"I’ve been around the block a few times if you know what I mean, I used to take recreational drugs, be anorexic and bulimic. I was a mess and I tried to hide it behind makeup and a well-rehearsed smile."

http://thebananagirl.com/about.php

Most people that are working on their diet/fitness have had some sort of disordered eating.. It's a disorder to overeat as well as undereat or overeat and 'get rid of it'

Also, at least she's being honest. Jeeez. Quit dissecting the poor girl.

She's not being honest, she's being predatory and contributory to other girls who might develop or exacerbate their own eating disorders based on her advice. As someone who claims to have been through an ED herself, it's inexcusable behavior.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Hard tot ake someone seriously with an ad that says

FreeLee- the raw fit bi*tch

no thanks.

Perhaps cooked might make her tastier too
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

However, in the
    80/10/10 February Cleanse" thread, someone pointed out that she has a history of eating disorders.

Yep, that was me :) From her website under the About Me tab, right at the top, she starts out her intro with this-

"I’ve been around the block a few times if you know what I mean, I used to take recreational drugs, be anorexic and bulimic. I was a mess and I tried to hide it behind makeup and a well-rehearsed smile."

Most people that are working on their diet/fitness have had some sort of disordered eating.. It's a disorder to overeat as well as undereat or overeat and 'get rid of it'

I'm sensing perhaps a fan here?

If not, think of it this way: She is, more or less, a YouTube personality. She is choosing to put herself into the public eye, is representing a certain "lifestyle," and is advocating for others to follow it.

All three things leave room for dissection. And disordered eating is different than an eating disorder in one key way: you can get over disordered eating.

You can certainly recovery from an ED, but the patterns are always there, being controlled, managed, etc. If Freelee is saying she had an ED, and then advocates very obviously dangerous "diet advice" (Or worse, "body" advice: shaming another YouTuber's body? Saying not having a thigh gap is unhealthy?), it appears her ED behaviors have been transferred onto something else (What appears to be an extreme orthorexia coupled with obvious denial issues--4000k a day? That sounds like when I used to say, "No, no! I DO eat!" when I'd eat maybe two days a week).

Her breasts, eyes, whatever might not have any relevancy here, but having a confessed history of multiple EDs is certainly something to consider when she's not saying, "Here's how I got over it!" and instead is saying, "Have a thigh gap or you're unhealthy! Omg, did you see how fat Jenna Marbles got?"
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

Her breasts, eyes, whatever might not have any relevancy here, but having a confessed history of multiple EDs is certainly something to consider when she's not saying, "Here's how I got over it!" and instead is saying, "Have a thigh gap or you're unhealthy! Omg, did you see how fat Jenna Marbles got?"

I've never heard of this person before, but I am totally appalled that she said not having a thigh gap is unhealthy! That is just so wrong and so bad for girls and women to hear. And also, she was talking bad about Jenna Marbles? D:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I stumbled across her site and her crazy friend.

Yeah, once. No. Why do you watch something like that? Free-will, it's a thing.

Brick-Tamland.gif

That banana needs peanut butter.

and chocolate.

I like how you think!
  • Brown523
    Brown523 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If that were the case then Ive been unhealthy since day 1, which is not the case! Some people thighs just touch....lol
  • URGonnaHearMeRoar
    Options
    I just watched a video of hers talking about thigh gaps. She said Basically a thigh gap means you are healthy and if your legs touch you aren't healthy.

That makes me super annoyed because not everyone can have a thigh gap, it really depends on how far apart your hips are. That is stupid. My sister is 5'5 and is 120lbs, she barely has a thigh gap, she eats healthy, and exercises. Wth?
  • tyleeloo30
    Options
    I just watched a video of hers talking about thigh gaps. She said Basically a thigh gap means you are healthy and if your legs touch you aren't healthy.

That makes me super annoyed because not everyone can have a thigh gap, it really depends on how far apart your hips are. That is stupid. My sister is 5'5 and is 120lbs, she barely has a thigh gap, she eats healthy, and exercises. Wth?

I agree. I don't see how she can say that everyone can have a thigh gap. I mean, sure, they can have one.... but that doesn't mean they are healthy. I'm underweight and I still don't have a thigh gap... and while I'm in the process of gaining some weight back, I've come to realize that I would have to be about 115lbs or lower to get a thigh gap, since my hips are set really close together. And on a 6ft tall person that would be ridiculous to consider.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

However, in the

She admits she's had issues with EDs and then goes on to promote another form of very restricted eating (and in the process makes a business out of it). No comparison.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Freelee is the girl that is promoting the "no wash" test. I will use my soap daily and ignore her videos.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    This is why I strongly prefer fullyrawkirstina's channel for 80/10/10 videos!

same, freelee isn't even 80/10/10, she created her "own" 90/5/5 thing and even Dr Graham has said that she's retarded and he doesn't want her to be associated with him
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    *shrugs* I haven't stumbled across her and everything I've heard has lead me to believe that I shouldn't seek her out.

No, I guess; she doesn't bother me at all :bigsmile:
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I feel like this thread is reeking of 'girl hate'. :(

I don't think she cares if she looks appealing to you or if someone out there is judging her 'lack' of 'boobies'. And she clearly had enhanced breasts in case you didn't notice. Are you expecting the average woman to be rocking double Es??

Honestly, it's funny how everyone gets mad at men for having unrealistic views of women. All I see is women hating on women over and over again. ;(

No 'girl hate' from me. Just honestly replying to a post in which i agree that one woman constantly telling the world that its her way or no way is not something anyone should be advocating. and the 'small boobies' comment was a joke!!!!! Sweet lord help us all.

Funny joke. :|

I'm sort of with you. I don't like jokes about other's bodies, even if said person is horribly dangerous with their advice.

That said, the distaste for this woman should be for her words. Thigh gaps, "4000" calories of fruit, etc.? She is running amok on YouTube, and any view she gets fuels it more.

OP, I can get the, "Can't stop watching" to an extent (I've sometimes found myself unable to turn off "My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding," for example).

That said, with YouTube in particular, every click of her video is fueling her industry, is bumping her to a position on whatever YT "most watched" or "recently watched" lists she's on, etc. Be mindful that even your dislike of her can be supporting her when it comes to watching her videos.

Yeah pretty much this. I don't think what she has to say about, well, most things. But criticisms should be about that, not about her body.

I took it that the criticism was because of her criticism's of others. You know, the whole pot/kettle thing. Like, saying that someone isn't healthy because they have no thigh gap and yet she goes and gets breast implants? Neither is natural. Maybe on some people thigh gap is natural but so are tiny breasts. The point is, she is hating on people for not having thigh gap and whatnot so the poster was basically calling her out for fake breasts; aka, not natural. Her whole persona comes across as fake to me and I've only seen one video that I believe was posted on my FB feed or on here. If what she does works for her, that's great and fine. Do it with poise, grace, and honesty. Don't bash someone else's body or their beliefs. Do what works for you and move on and even offer constructive criticism if it is asked for. But don't go trash talking people just for the heck of it because what is 'natural' and 'right' for her isn't necessarily right for everyone else. Because once you start attacking others for their looks or lifestyle, it opens the door WIDE OPEN for the same in return.
  • hannamarie88
    hannamarie88 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    The only reason I know she exists is because her video about Jenna Marbles always comes up when I watch a video of Jenna's in the little suggestions box on YouTube. I have no desire to watch a video with a title that tears down a person and will be a video picking apart someone's lifestyle. What works for some, does not work for everyone.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The only reason I know she exists is because her video about Jenna Marbles always comes up when I watch a video of Jenna's in the little suggestions box on YouTube. I have no desire to watch a video with a title that tears down a person and will be a video picking apart someone's lifestyle. What works for some, does not work for everyone.

I haven't seen/head of the Jenna one... makes me sad- how can you hate on Jenna Marbles- she's hysterical. I love that girl.
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Have no idea who this person is, have no desire to meet her based upon what some of stated here.

That being said, to the OP:

If you don;t like what she has to say or how she says it, why watch/listen? George Carlin said it best many. many years ago. "If you don't like what's being said, change the station".

The more hits she gets, the more she is going to put out there. Watching her, whether to learn from her or to mock her, is one thing she looks for. It's always a good product for the company if the consumer is buying it. If it isn't flying off the shelves, it will disappear shortly thereafter. Her videos are her product, she gauges their success (# of buys) by the number of hits. Be the one who stops watching and see how many you can get to follow you. She'll disappear soon enough.

I watched a video once of some guy who said I needed to castrate myself so that I could be one of those who would be taken into space on the alien mothership when time for the end of the world rapture came. Guarantee I didn't take that advice and never, ever watched anything he posted afterwards.

Now perhaps if Seth Rogen told me the same thing, I might think about it...
  • hannamarie88
    hannamarie88 Posts: 231 Member
    Options

I haven't seen/head of the Jenna one... makes me sad- how can you hate on Jenna Marbles- she's hysterical. I love that girl.

I have no idea :( Jenna is so amazing! It claims she went off her raw/vegan diet and got fat. Psh. I would kill to look like Jenna. That girl is gorgeous and I can't believe someone would hate on her.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I have no idea :( Jenna is so amazing! It claims she went off her raw/vegan diet and got fat. Psh. I would kill to look like Jenna. That girl is gorgeous and I can't believe someone would hate on her.

pretty much- she is lovely- and hella smart too for being a "dumb blonde youtube personality"

LOL
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I stumbled across her site and her crazy friend.

Yeah, once. No. Why do you watch something like that? Free-will, it's a thing.

Brick-Tamland.gif

^^^^ this

never heard of her. She sounds like she's a few bananas short of a fruit salad.
  • echoecho11
    echoecho11 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Just want to point out that 'thigh gap' has literally nothing to do with health. It is to do with genetics and the way the pelvis sits. For some women it is literally impossible to obtain, regardless of weight!

I had thigh gap after three weeks of not keeping my food down and living of mandarins and crackers. I was sick in India... great holiday. Anyway my body took protein from my thigh muscles (which weren't big to start with).

So yea, muscle wasting.... I mean thigh gap oops :wink: