Replies

• edmarymom
    edmarymom Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    nice reply...you got this!
  • livcurious
    livcurious Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I often crave chocolate. I used to eat candy bars or whatever I had available to make the feeling and hunger go away. I recently realized how few calories (by comparison) are in chocolate chips. Now when I'm really craving chocolate I grab a handful and I don't even feel guilty over the 80 calories.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    With fruit and veg I've only managed them as a smooth soup or juice. I can't eat it whole or as pieces.
    Make smoothies and drink them. You get all the fiber and vitamins that way. No chewing.

This is what my husband does for breakfast, and he seems to do pretty well with it. Otherwise, he'd eat NO veggies or fruits.

I have no aversions to fruits and veggies. I eat a salad nearly every day. But I have a sweet tooth and a fruit smoothie with some chocolate peanut butter and a little light whipped cream is a great dessert.

I love all foods. Portion control is my main issue. Oh, and cake. I love cake more than anything else. :laugh:
    I love GOOD cake. But what I really love is chocolate cheesecake.

Oreo Cheesecake. :tongue:
  • dedgjonator
    Options
    Everything does make sense, in a way. I have suffered with depression and maybe that is linked to the times when I binge. My lg is getting older and it was about the same time a got pnd with my lb. Do you think food is affected by things like depression?
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    Nobody said you were obese. I haven't been obese either. And we weren't talking about your body, but your brain.

Food consumption is about conscious choices. Period. PMS, mestruation and other things are not responsible for food choices and scapegoating them onlu leads to longer term issues.

Hormones change very little about choice. What you eat is a choice. Simple.

So I'm CHOOSING to be hungry?

OK then.

We all know hunger is a lifestyle choice. Most people do it because they want attention, or to get back at their parents.

Lmao!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    Everything does make sense, in a way. I have suffered with depression and maybe that is linked to the times when I binge. My lg is getting older and it was about the same time a got pnd with my lb. Do you think food is affected by things like depression?

"pnd with my lb"???
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Do you think food is affected by things like depression?

Do you mean does a bad diet lead to a bad mood?
    Do you mean a bad mood can lead to eating poorly?

The answer to both could be yes. Food is the building blocks that our bodies use to make neurochemicals and hormones. Not enough/too much of certain things can effect your body, yes. In particular there's research that shows that things like iron, B vitamins, vitamin D, and complex carbohydrates are low in depressed people. But which is causing which is up for debate.

Edit to add: but there's also other medical conditions that can be a part of it your food issues. Thyroid problems, bipolar...
  • tonyareeseharri
    Options
    chocolate cravings ; try blending ice,cacao powder and 1 table spoon of coconut oil in a blender its very good!

try almond milk heated..toss in about 10 chocolate chips...it curbs cravings too and fills you up

good luck
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    No one here is starving. If you can exaggerate hormonal dips and hunger to that degree, it's not at all surprising that you missed my point and are off on some tangent about how you absolutely have to consume more calories during these fluctuations, let alone not realizing that hormone dips are propotionate to the food consumed on an ongoing basis.

Hormones do not cause food consumption. If they did, people with PCOS could never lose the weight they need to lose in order to help restore a healthy hormone balance. They would have to eat, because otherwise they'd be starving!

Personal responsibility is a wonderful thing. It's something we should all do have and abide by. However, you are going waaaaay overboard with your point. Yes. What we put into our mouths IS a choice. However, acting like hormonal fluctuations don't cause increased hunger/cravings, is a recipe for disaster. It is better to KNOW your weaknesses, so you can better prepare yourself for them. It often helps me, when I know I'm having experiencing an insatiable appetite or cravings to check my calendar, see if it's a TOM deal, then say to myself, "Oh. It's that TOM. No biggie. This will pass," than to say, "I have an insatiable appetite. I must be undisciplined. Allow me to starve myself to prove a point about my defect of character."

See the distinction? :wink:
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    There are many reasons for this - PMS, TOM, hunger, deprivation, etc. But whatever the reason, you are only back to square one if you choose to be. Otherwise, you made a bad decision and it's time to move on.

Food consumption is about conscious choices. Period. PMS, mestruation and other things are not responsible for food choices and scapegoating them onlu leads to longer term issues.
    I guess you've never actually experienced the insatiable hunger that often accompanies PMS. The kind of hunger where no matter what or how much you eat, you continue feeling so hungry you're actually light-headed.

I participate in a support group for obese women trying to get in shape. What you describe is an ongoing process for them and what they experience constantly, not just during certain times of the month. Assuming your food intake meets your macronutrient and caloric needs and you don't eat so that you become deficient in micronutrients (most norably B vitamins, iron, and magnesium) there's no actual physical reason you would need to eat differently and no medical reason for lightheadedness. It is, however, a pretty typical emotional response. Once you start feeding cravings instead of your body, you begin to teach your body the habit of engaging in that behavior and it becomes more ingrained and perpetuates those cravings in an ongoing cycle.

No.
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-antidepressant-diet/201008/you-can-prevent-pms-destroying-your-diet

The solution is to increase the production of serotonin, the brain chemical involved in regulating mood and weight. We discovered at MIT that serotonin activity is diminished during PMS so simply increasing serotonin production reduces the unpleasant mood and overeating during this time of the month.

Increasing serotonin is easy. The brain chemical is made when a non-fruit carbohydrate is eaten. Here is all that needs to be done:

Twice a day (or more if necessary) eat a snack containing 30-35 grams of a starchy or sweet carbohydrate. Choose foods that have no more than 2 grams of protein and 2 grams of fat. Protein prevents serotonin from being made, and fat just adds calories.

Eat the foods on an empty stomach or three hours after a meal.

The snacks should be regarded as edible therapy for the PMS, not as a source of nutrition. Make sure you take your usual vitamin and calcium supplements and eat as many fruits, vegetables, low or non-fat dairy products and lean protein as your PMS cravings will allow.

Good snack choices include popcorn, fat-free fudge sauce (for PMS chocolate cravers), sweetened breakfast cereal, an English muffin with jam, oatmeal with brown sugar, graham crackers, low-fat granola bars, very low-fat ice cream or frozen yogurt, low-fat rice or soy crackers, pretzels, low-fat meringue cookies, low-fat biscotti and cotton candy (in case you have PMS while at a county fair).

A few caveats:

* Alcohol is not a substitute for the carbohydrate.
    * Eating fruit will not lead to serotonin production.
    * Soda and other foods made with high fructose corn syrup sweeteners do not lead to serotonin production.
    * Restrain yourself from munching on fat-filled brownies, chips, ice cream, and chocolate. Your brain doesn't know the difference but your scale will.

This is interesting, usmcmp. I will look into this and try it to see if it helps. :bigsmile:
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    No one here is starving. If you can exaggerate hormonal dips and hunger to that degree, it's not at all surprising that you missed my point and are off on some tangent about how you absolutely have to consume more calories during these fluctuations, let alone not realizing that hormone dips are propotionate to the food consumed on an ongoing basis.

Hormones do not cause food consumption. If they did, people with PCOS could never lose the weight they need to lose in order to help restore a healthy hormone balance. They would have to eat, because otherwise they'd be starving!

Personal responsibility is a wonderful thing. It's something we should all do have and abide by. However, you are going waaaaay overboard with your point. Yes. What we put into our mouths IS a choice. However, acting like hormonal fluctuations don't cause increased hunger/cravings, is a recipe for disaster. It is better to KNOW your weaknesses, so you can better prepare yourself for them. It often helps me, when I know I'm having experiencing an insatiable appetite or cravings to check my calendar, see if it's a TOM deal, then say to myself, "Oh. It's that TOM. No biggie. This will pass," than to say, "I have an insatiable appetite. I must be undisciplined. Allow me to starve myself to prove a point about my defect of character."

I didngo overboard with my point. I just repeated the same, small point while others refuted what I wasn't actually asserting.

My point was twofold: 1) all manner of physiological, hormonal, environmental and life factors can affect cravings and hunger 2) eating food in response to them is a choice. Period.

Again, no one here is ever starving themselves, except perhaps, the anorexics. Ever.

You're all reading all kinds of moral judgments about a simple point of fact.

If your cycle makes a huge change in your subjective experience, it's wise to get a full hormone panel run. Standard OB-GYNs don't often run them except in cases of thyroid issues or extreme weight gain with suspected PCOS, but even on the pill hormones can be out of whack and you can be harming fertility or health and not know it. For reasons that have never been clear to me, it has become medically acceptable to write off symptoms as overexaggerations when, in fact, women are really suffering.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

My point was twofold: 1) all manner of physiological, hormonal, environmental and life factors can affect cravings and hunger 2) eating food in response to them is a choice. Period.

Well, then, we agree. That's what I said all along. :smile:
  • dedgjonator
    Options
    pnd = post natal depression lb = little boy lg=little girl. Just abbreviations Ive picked up.
  • Katxith
    Options
    Every day is a new opportunity. Every one of us has fallen off track at some point so you're not alone. You have to be careful with the "all back to square one" thinking, it's very black and white. You went off course and now you're back on:)
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I often crave chocolate. I used to eat candy bars or whatever I had available to make the feeling and hunger go away. I recently realized how few calories (by comparison) are in chocolate chips. Now when I'm really craving chocolate I grab a handful and I don't even feel guilty over the 80 calories.

You could also switch to dark chocolate.. if portioned correctly it's just as satisfying and better for you.
  • cbrister07
    cbrister07 Posts: 34 Member
    Options

Going to have to give this one a try. Sounds like a great way to satisfy a chocolate craving.
  • meglizbo
    Options
    Just like one good day won't make you thin, one bad day simply WILL NOT make you bigger, or set you back. It is all about habits over time, and lifestyle choices. As long as you are not eating like this consistently, don't worry about it! You might feel bloated and icky afterward, but just remember that the next time you reach for the bag of crisps! You can create the habits of the person you want to be. Sticky notes on the fridge/pantry can be great little reminders throughout the day too :smile:
  • bellepiff
    Options

I love all foods. Portion control is my main issue. Oh, and cake. I love cake more than anything else. :laugh:

twins!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You're choosing to consume food.
    Because I'm starving. What would you have me do instead?

No point in arguing with Greytfish - he/she is trying to apply the psychology of people who have or have had an unhealthy emotional relationship with food to someone who purportedly has always had a healthy relationship with food. It often doesn't work to do that, just as it doesn't often work in the reverse situation.

I have a similar situation to yours - one day a month when I'm unusually hungry. The date is not predictable because my TOM has been variable lately, but it's always 1-2 days before it starts. I've never been obese or clinically overweight (just close). On that day, I choose foods that are extra-filling to me, which helps, but not 100%. I eat a little more, because like you, I'm not going to sit there with actual hunger pangs and nausea (from hunger) and be grouchy and snappish when I can do something about it that doesn't hurt me. It goes away by the next day, and usually that day I end up under-eating by a bit because I'm not as hungry as usual. So, obviously I'm not perpetuating any cravings or hungry feelings.
    Clearly eating food in response to the physical sensation of hunger is a crazy and unhealthy idea. :wink:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I didngo overboard with my point. I just repeated the same, small point while others refuted what I wasn't actually asserting.

Again, no one here is ever starving themselves, except perhaps, the anorexics. Ever.

You're all reading all kinds of moral judgments about a simple point of fact.

If your cycle makes a huge change in your subjective experience, it's wise to get a full hormone panel run. Standard OB-GYNs don't often run them except in cases of thyroid issues or extreme weight gain with suspected PCOS, but even on the pill hormones can be out of whack and you can be harming fertility or health and not know it. For reasons that have never been clear to me, it has become medically acceptable to write off symptoms as overexaggerations when, in fact, women are really suffering.
    You seem to not understand that "starving" is a figure of speech used in the United States to describe feelings of great hunger. I know that I'm not ACTUALLY starving when I feel very hungry.

However, the usual (and healthy) response to feeling of great hunger is to eat something. Yes, this is a choice. I can continue feeling extreme hunger and be uncomfortable, shaky and end up with a migraine, or I can eat.

So, again, what would you suggest I do?

And my hormones are fine. It's a couple days a month and this is actually pretty normal in healthy women.