dont know what just happened!

Options
1235»

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I feel very hungry. What would you suggest I do?
    High-protein snacks have a high satiety value, meaning they keep you full longer: hard-boiled eggs, portion-controlled nuts (if they're in the shell, they take longer to eat), weighed cheese (string cheese can take a really long time to eat), yogurt...

If you're hungry in the evenings, budget some of your calories for after dinner.

Drink 2 glasses of water before you eat anything. Brush your teeth. Take a walk. Call a friend.

If you're unreasonably hungry, your weight loss goal is probably set unreasonably high. With only 15 lb. to lose, a healthy loss is .5 lb. per week. The closer you are to goal, the more slowly you lose.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    High-protein snacks have a high satiety value, meaning they keep you full longer: hard-boiled eggs, portion-controlled nuts (if they're in the shell, they take longer to eat), weighed cheese (string cheese can take a really long time to eat), yogurt...

If you're hungry in the evenings, budget some of your calories for after dinner.

Drink 2 glasses of water before you eat anything. Brush your teeth. Take a walk. Call a friend.

If you're unreasonably hungry, your weight loss goal is probably set unreasonably high. With only 15 lb. to lose, a healthy loss is .5 lb. per week. The closer you are to goal, the more slowly you lose.
    Thanks. But you might want to read the rest of the conversation before responding to a random question.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options

Thanks. But you might want to read the rest of the conversation before responding to a random question.

Those are all very good suggestions.

But, yes, if you go back a bit, you'll see the controversey started over the completely factual (but apparently high infammatory to the hormonally impaired woman) statement:
    "Food consumption is about conscious choices. Period. PMS, mestruation and other things are not responsible for food choices and scapegoating them only leads to longer term issues."

Eat whatever you want for whatever real or perceived emotional or other issues. No one cares what you eat or why. Rationalize choices any way you like. Hormones do{/i] lots of things, but they don't make you eat. Your conscious choice does that. The only thing blaming hormones does is reinforce negative stereotypes about women.

Most Americans live in a glut of food and lots of those people probably use starvation as a figure of speech when they want to talk about some sort of hunger. With all of our abundance of resources, there are still millions of Americans who actually are starving - many of them children. People use the word "retarded" as a figure of speech, but that doesn't make it correct or appropriate. But, maybe they'll take a cue from the APA come up with a fancy new term for starving Americans one day so that they won't have to be offensively associated with hormonally hungry women.
  • rml_16
    Options
    But, yes, if you go back a bit, you'll see the controversey started over the completely factual (but apparently high infammatory to the hormonally impaired woman) statement:
    "Food consumption is about conscious choices. Period. PMS, mestruation and other things are not responsible for food choices and scapegoating them only leads to longer term issues."

It was actually in response to you stating that somehow I'm making a choice to feel very hungry for a few days each month, as though I have actual control over that.

Yes, I choose to eat when I feel actual hunger. I realize that's a revolutionary idea, but it's what I do.
  • Greytfish
    Options

It was actually in response to you stating that somehow I'm making a choice to feel very hungry for a few days each month, as though I have actual control over that.

Yes, I choose to eat when I feel actual hunger. I realize that's a revolutionary idea, but it's what I do.

You're projecting. You should try reading what I actually wrote, rather than imputing.
  • rml_16
    Options

You're projecting. You should try reading what I actually wrote, rather than imputing.
    That was your response to me stating that I feel very hungry during the week before my period. I read what you wrote. You told me it was psychological. I can assure you it very much is not.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Actually, I was trying to bring the discussion back on topic after a derail by offering constructive advice both for the original poster and for other readers who may be struggling with binge eating.

I'll repeat my earlier advice from this thread, with two additions. If you have "trigger" foods, don't keep large quantities of them at home. And think about practicing "mindful" eating, really paying attention to and enjoying every bite.
    Log it accurately & honestly, and move on.

Look at your nutrition for the past 7 days, not just today. Eat "good" or "clean" or "healthy" (whatever those words mean to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal. Deprivation can lead to binges.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants/quote]
  • Greytfish
    Options

That was your response to me stating that I feel very hungry during the week before my period. I read what you wrote. You told me it was psychological. I can assure you it very much is not.

No. Try reading.

I'll repeat my earlier advice from this thread, with two additions. If you have "trigger" foods, don't keep large quantities of them at home. And think about practicing "mindful" eating, really paying attention to and enjoying every bite.

This, or, if there's something you have in the house for occasional consumption or consumption by other household members, consider repacakging it in portion sizes when you bring it home. Portioning things ahead of time can be a good way to visually reinforce portions and portion control. A small most things is less likely to cause you GI upset or other symptoms of overconsumption, and can make it easier to get back on track.