How do you like your oatmeal?

Options
12346»

Replies

• Fit4Penny
    Fit4Penny Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am definitely going to try some of these suggestions!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    That sounds good :)

Oh yeah, sometimes if I am at work and feeling a bit peccish, when I make a hot drink (tea,coffee or mocha) I will just dump a few teaspoons of oats into it. Keep spoon in cup and eat them when you get to the bottom :)

Hmmm this is brilliant. I am a coffee FIEND and I bet this keeps you pretty full for an afternoon snack. Very intriguing...
  • ReadyMom
    Options
    Ok I'm sure this sounds odd but my fave way to oatmeal is topped with EGGNOG!!! Soooo good! Not so healthy but hey there is light eggnog too. :)
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Love the canned pumpkin idea! Going to have to try that.
  • ♥jewelchristian♥
    ♥jewelchristian♥ Posts: 3,666 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm sure this sounds odd but my fave way to oatmeal is topped with EGGNOG!!! Soooo good! Not so healthy but hey there is light eggnog too. :)

Hmmmmm.... i LOVE eggnog, but I'm not sure how well this would work.....It's in the stores now,,,,~wanders away thinking about oatmeal and eggnog~!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Another good one is whole cranberries (not dried). They start bringing them out in the fall also. They are tart but soooo great in oatmeal!! :bigsmile:

I found a bag of whole cranberries at the store and added them to my oatmeal today! Yum yum!! 1 serving (55g) of whole cranberries is only 30 calories. Makes the oatmeal tart and I added cinnamon and walnuts. Delish!
  • jessmomof3
    Options

I'm so happy now that the canned pumpkin is back in the stores! Pumpkin oatmeal has been my favorite lately until today I had cranberry oatmeal. I love fall!
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    This may have a ton of carbs & sugar, but I like the fruit & cream instant oatmeal. I use one pouch and thats it. It less calories then a bowl of cereal and a cup of milk..(which is like 400 cals together) where oatmeal has like 130 cals in each pouch and just use water which has nothing.

I use the 2% milk usually because I don't like whole..or nonfat. I could try 1%.
  • meagalayne
    Options

I'm so happy now that the canned pumpkin is back in the stores! Pumpkin oatmeal has been my favorite lately until today I had cranberry oatmeal. I love fall!

I have pumpkin in my oatmeal every morning! It's so filling and delicious. A little spice and some grade b maple syrup and it makes a warm, cozy breakfast. Great way to start my day :) Love love love it! Will try it with cranberries soon if I can give up the pumpkin for a day, Jess!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I have pumpkin in my oatmeal every morning! It's so filling and delicious. A little spice and some grade b maple syrup and it makes a warm, cozy breakfast. Great way to start my day :) Love love love it! Will try it with cranberries soon if I can give up the pumpkin for a day, Jess!

I know!! It is sooooo good and filling! Try the cranberries, it's a nice change of pace too! A chopped apple w/ the cranberries is good too. I had oatmeal for my snack the other day w/ half of a sliced peach and cranberries. It was like a peach crisp!!
  • meagalayne
    Options

I know!! It is sooooo good and filling! Try the cranberries, it's a nice change of pace too! A chopped apple w/ the cranberries is good too. I had oatmeal for my snack the other day w/ half of a sliced peach and cranberries. It was like a peach crisp!!

Oh my. This is all making me hungry! Some days I wish I could have oatmeal more than once... haha I posted a question to your profile. Thanks Jess!!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Oh my. This is all making me hungry! Some days I wish I could have oatmeal more than once... haha I posted a question to your profile. Thanks Jess!!

And why can't you??? Oatmeal is one of my fav afternoon snacks too!! :laugh:
  • AnAbsoluteDiva
    AnAbsoluteDiva Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Half cup whole oats (not the quick-cooking stuff), one cup non-fat milk. When it's almost done, I slice a banana into it. No need for sugar doing it this way. The banana is sweet enough.
  • AnAbsoluteDiva
    AnAbsoluteDiva Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    This may have a ton of carbs & sugar, but I like the fruit & cream instant oatmeal. I use one pouch and thats it. It less calories then a bowl of cereal and a cup of milk..(which is like 400 cals together) where oatmeal has like 130 cals in each pouch and just use water which has nothing.

I use the 2% milk usually because I don't like whole..or nonfat. I could try 1%.

There is non fat milk out there that has all the curds and whey to give it the consistency of 2%. You should try finding some... the fat in 2% milk is ridiculous.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Plain, blended in my morning shake. It tastes like *kitten* but it does a body good :)
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i went to an apple orchard / farm over the weekend and picked some apples and 4 sugar pumpkins. I'm making pumpkin puree tonight, but am hoping to reserve some for my oatmeal, thanks to this thread.

yum!

k
  • svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    love all these ideas.....

now what is the pros and cons with instant oatmeal vs. oldfashioned?? is there anything? i always buy the instant old fashioned oats? once in a blue moon i buy the steel cut from costco or sams...but it's just expensive.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    new one for me.

60g oats
    2 tspns weight watchers drinking chocolate
    (cook in microwave with water)

add
    1 scoop protein powder
    1 tbspn natural peanut butter

SOOOOO GOOD :) Little bit less cals than with honey and less sugar.