Weight lifting Substitutes

Options
13»

Replies

• Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Go to http://rosstraining.com/. Ross Enamait has lots of great ideas for putting together cheap but highly effective training. His stuff is about as good as it gets.
  • LadyFlexible
    LadyFlexible Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Do you have small children?? I used my kids as weights. One is 35lbs and the other 50lbs. They are good for wall squats, planks, leg press, bench press, etc. Lol. And the kids love it.

No, I have dogs but neither would appreciate me trying to use them as weights :P
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Do you have small children?? I used my kids as weights. One is 35lbs and the other 50lbs. They are good for wall squats, planks, leg press, bench press, etc. Lol. And the kids love it.

No, I have dogs but neither would appreciate me trying to use them as weights :P

Yeah, they don't enjoy those kettleball squat swings nearly as much as the kids do, but trying to get them in position would probably be a great cardio workout :)
  • LadyFlexible
    Options

Yeah, they don't enjoy those kettleball squat swings nearly as much as the kids do, but trying to get them in position would probably be a great cardio workout :)
    Lol, it would.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Walmart has dumbells priced very reasonable. Pick up 2, 3 or 5 pounders and watch some youtube to get some ideas. I do a routine that includes super 7's. light weights and lots of reps ='s strength.

OP is going to europe, she does not have time or resources for that...
  • bobbinalong
    bobbinalong Posts: 151 Member
    Options

Hahahaha and the weights will gradually increase!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Beginners at home program.

3 sets of 8 of everything.
    pushups (start on knees, then toes, then feet elevated)
    rows (small cans to larger cans, then fill a backpack with random stuff)
    standing overhead press (small cans to larger ones)
    chins/pullups (do negatives and dead hang anti shrugs (yes they are hard))
    lunges (start with bw then add small cans then larger ones)
    romanian deadlift (start with small cans, then larger ones then fill a back pack)
    Situps (bw first then hold small cans, then largers ones and then fill a back pack)

WHen you can do sets and reps, move onto harder progression or find something heavier.

If you make progress by 1 rep, stay at the same weight.

If you fail to make progress 3 times in a row. Drop the weight or go to the easier version.

An example of exercise progression:
    Pushups
    Session 1
    knees 8, 8,8

Session 2
    Toes 1, Knees 7. Toes 1, Knees 7. Toes 1, Knees 7.

Session 3
    Toes 2 Knees 6, Toes 2 Knees 6,Toes 2 Knees 6.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Yea, App costs cash, might look up youtube videos.

It's $3

and worth it.

Not when you're saving up for a trip to Europe and college.

Well if you're not willing to spend $2.99 in order to get in shape, then you're wasting your time and ours. No one here is buying that you don't spend $3 in a week on *anything.*

if you keep reading, you'll see that she got the app.
  • LadyFlexible
    Options

It's $3

and worth it.

Well if you're not willing to spend $2.99 in order to get in shape, then you're wasting your time and ours. No one here is buying that you don't spend $3 in a week on *anything.*

if you keep reading, you'll see that she got the app.

Thank you ^
  • LadyFlexible
    Options

romanian deadlift (start with small cans, then larger ones then fill a back pack)
    Situps (bw first then hold small cans, then largers ones and then fill a back pack)

WHen you can do sets and reps, move onto harder progression or find something heavier.

If you fail to make progress 3 times in a row. Drop the weight or go to the easier version.

Pushups
    Session 1
    knees 8, 8,8

Session 2

Session 3

This is bad *kitten*, thanks!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

Pushups
    Session 1
    knees 8, 8,8

Session 2

Session 3

I saw a video where a guy put bags of rice in his backpack. Those are cheap add-ins and pre-weighed (hopefully correctly).
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    If you can try to get either a barbell or a pair of dumbbells with weight plates - please stay away from those shiny pinky 2lbs ladies stuff. You muscles need to work and work hard to get results !

If you can't get them try any of these workouts. There are literally tons on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=strenght+training+no+equipment&sm=1

Good luck!
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Someone else mentioned http://www.startbodyweight.com/ The guy who runs it is ElDiablo on Fitocracy.com.

Another free site with a ton of no equipment workouts is http://neilarey.com

There is the free Nike Training Club app on Android. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nike.ntc&hl=en
    The free Sworkit app also
    And I am sure if you look you can find tons of other's that are free on Android.

Also checkout FitnessBlender on Youtube, and very shortly youtube will start recommending all kinds of workout videos to you.

As to equipment....
    1gallon of water is 8lbs (Paint cans or milk jugs). A 5gallon bucket full of water is 40lbs.
    A backpack full of books/sand/bricks is whatever it is. Put it on your back and climb some stairs, or do lunges.
    A duffle bag filled with sand in duct taped shut plastic bags, can easily hit 70+lbs. Lots of stuff you can do with this.
    Garden hose can work as workout ropes.
    Picking up a small child and lifting them from the floor to over head is fun for the kid.
    Put the kid on your lap and bounce your leg up and down. Switch legs and do it again.
    Go to the local playground and use the monkey bars. Pile some kids on the merry go round and get them moving.
    Laundry....baskets, bags, etc. You have to move them.
    Got a sledge hammer and something to beat it on, even if it is just a section of dirt in the yard?
    Got a spare tire in the garage? Pick it up, flip it, toss it.
    Tool box?
    Imagination is the key.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

It's $3

and worth it.

Some people make changes/concessions.....other people make excuses. Do you know which one you are yet? Which one do you want to be?
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Wait at a prison exit and ask them....or spend the few bucks and make an effort.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    You two have been here long enough to know you should read before you comment. Back in my basement, both of you! Get ready to receive your punishment. :wink:
  • LadyFlexible
    Options

It's $3

and worth it.

Some people make changes/concessions.....other people make excuses. Do you know which one you are yet? Which one do you want to be?

I choose to be the one who reads before they comment.