What do you think of MLM business?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    They're predatory ways of making money with over priced products or services that can be attained on the market with comparable products or services.

Practically ALL MLM's rely on their "distributors/ambassadors/counselors/coaches" to sign up for some sort of autoship or sign up for a continuous plan that they don't need ensuring that everyone above them gets a piece of the action.

MLM's don't cold call but use "enticement" tactics like "as your friend/family member, I'm sharing this with you because I care" on people and using the relationship to help "guilt" people into doing business.

90% of anyone's that's sign up on an MLM program paid more into than they made.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I would drop the sister in law--in fact, I actually did just drop a sister in law off my facebook for being obnoxious. I'm not even sorry.

Me too and in RL. :laugh:

tumblr_m79yzsyDlm1rqunrlo1_250.gif
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    I like it when she's dirty...

tumblr_inline_mpnmczbcD71qz4rgp.gif

Ej9c8uC.gif
    I wanna be a strawberry.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I know a few people that sell this kind of stuff. That's fine do what you want I won't judge but when every conversation I have with one of these people turns into oh well you should buy this (every dang time) it gets annoying. (She's my sister in law too so I can't just 'drop' her unfortunately. She's also encouraged my other sister in laws to sign up under her so I have like 4 people who try and sell me stuff on a regular basis lol)
    I would drop the sister in law--in fact, I actually did just drop a sister in law off my facebook for being obnoxious. I'm not even sorry.

Hehe with three kids I have learned the art of selected hearing very well but still even that will only go so far!! :laugh:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    So to recap...

MLMs = garbage

Kaylee gifs = magical

QFT
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Not a fan.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Snake bit me once, snakes fault :grumble: But 4 times??? :noway: All my fault!!! :sad:
  • chadlemanEureka
    Options
    I am in a MLM bussiness of sorts and all of my business contacts are through advertising and people contacting me. One exception is a guy I work with who I knew would like to make a little extra income. I was leery about getting involved in anything though because of an Amway saleman I knew years ago.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I love them!

Wait... that's not the right answer, is it?
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    In for Kaylee gifs.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    They're horrible. I want to drop every friend I have who gets involved in them, too. They turn from perfectly nice, wonderful friends into pushy, obnoxious jerks.

This.

I've actually never had a friend get into anything like this. I would make it VERY clear early on that I was not going to play into it at all.

Even some of the "softer sell" stuff would cause me to do this...like Pampered Chef, Mary Kay, Arbonne, those hideous Thirty One bags or whatever they are called, Origami Owl, Scentsy...just STOP

I tend to think all products sold in this format are poor quality, tacky, cheesy, etc...I know that's not always the case but that is my general impression of them!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Overpriced garbage sold by pushy people? No thanks.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I've actually never had a friend get into anything like this. I would make it VERY clear early on that I was not going to play into it at all.

LMAO

No, that doesn't work. I think it makes them view you as a challenge to overcome more than anything else. It really does awful things to otherwise nice people.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options

No, that doesn't work. I think it makes them view you as a challenge to overcome more than anything else. It really does awful things to otherwise nice people.

QFT
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Also in for Kaylee.

Anyway - 'most all of the time a scam and the biggest scam is generally getting the people at the bottom to actually BELIEVE in the product.
  • Loss4TheWin
    Options
    A friend's husband bought into an MLM. She was telling me how pissed she was, that they couldn't afford it and it was very obviously a rip-off. She was ranting about how he probably got suckered in because the woman selling it was pretty and he was a big dumb man and now they were both saddled with this huge monthly fee and no way out of the contract. Same day, she invited one of our mutual friends out to lunch to sell him on an amazing business opportunity... I wrote her off as a friend that day.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    When I was teaching I had some parents of one of my students schedule a conference after school. I assumed they wanted to, ya know, talk about their daughter's school work. Instead they pitched me some MLM product. It was super-awkward.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    They are not as bad as they are made out to be. The whole reason they got a bad reputation is because of Amway. Tupperware, Avon, Mary Kay are some of the biggest names that are MLM companies. The important thing is to know exactly how you make your money and beware of the ones that promise "unlimited earnings potential" (like Amway) because there has to be a cap on your earnings, especially when you get people beneath you. There's a point where it's impossible to earn more.

Yes, there are scam companies out there however there are also companies that are decent and reputable. As with anything out there regardless of what it is you need to do your homework.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    They're horrible. I want to drop every friend I have who gets involved in them, too. They turn from perfectly nice, wonderful friends into pushy, obnoxious jerks.

This.

Even some of the "softer sell" stuff would cause me to do this...like Pampered Chef, Mary Kay, Arbonne, those hideous Thirty One bags or whatever they are called, Origami Owl, Scentsy...just STOP

I tend to think all products sold in this format are poor quality, tacky, cheesy, etc...I know that's not always the case but that is my general impression of them!

Those are huge around here with the military wives. The thing is, they're all selling to each other so I kinda wonder how much money they're really making, you know?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

LMAO

I'm EXTREMELY assertive in situations where it is required. LOL

I am like that super nice happy cheerful person who will freaking cut you in 1 second, when you cross a line.

If pushed...I'd delete the person from facebook, block their number, AND tell them face to face that I would have NONE of it...