What do you think of MLM business?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Many years ago, I sold (ahem) adult novelties by doing home parties. The company was technically MLM, but there wasn't a huge benefit to getting "new recruits" and the company didn't really push it.

The nature of the product made it easy to sell and there was pretty much always a demand for parties (I'd get calls from people I didn't know all the time)

That was the one and only time that I got involved in MLM...otherwise, I run away screaming.
    That is the only MLM party/product I have ever sought out. lol

A lot of women do them as bachelorette parties and a group of us where I used to work decided to have one. We contacted the company who put us in touch with a rep. We drank and ate (not just some crappy, miniscule stuff that most people have at MLM parties, either) and had an awesome time. And boy did we BUY.

It's the only time I ever had fun at an MLM party. But you have to have the right group of people (we even had guys there).

I would *much* rather buy toys at a home party with friends than to venture into a seedy retailer with some creepy guy at the register staring at me.
    I tell ya, though, it's got to be the right friends. I went to one with people I didn't know as well and a lot of them were really uptight and uncomfortable about sex. It sucked.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Many years ago, I sold (ahem) adult novelties by doing home parties. The company was technically MLM, but there wasn't a huge benefit to getting "new recruits" and the company didn't really push it.

The nature of the product made it easy to sell and there was pretty much always a demand for parties (I'd get calls from people I didn't know all the time)

That was the one and only time that I got involved in MLM...otherwise, I run away screaming.
    That is the only MLM party/product I have ever sought out. lol

A lot of women do them as bachelorette parties and a group of us where I used to work decided to have one. We contacted the company who put us in touch with a rep. We drank and ate (not just some crappy, miniscule stuff that most people have at MLM parties, either) and had an awesome time. And boy did we BUY.

It's the only time I ever had fun at an MLM party. But you have to have the right group of people (we even had guys there).

I would *much* rather buy toys at a home party with friends than to venture into a seedy retailer with some creepy guy at the register staring at me.
    I tell ya, though, it's got to be the right friends. I went to one with people I didn't know as well and a lot of them were really uptight and uncomfortable about sex. It sucked.

Yeah, uptight people would be just as bad as creepy people.

ETA: But then again, I tend to have a talent for getting people to open up.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Bottom line: unethical business model. Any company that engages in it is a scam, and any person involved in selling the stuff should be run out of town on a railroad.

:angry: You want to deprive people of buying things as they choose? I like my Avon and Mary Kay, especially. Some of us *appreciate* having a person that we know come to our home rather for sales rather than traipsing from store to store and dealing with judgmental strangers. If you would rather go to the mall, then enjoy. I certainly would never suggest shutting down the malls just because I prefer an alternative.

Good thing that you aren't the consumer sheriff! :laugh:
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Tisk, tisk, tisk. Such closed minded people. Those who have less then positive things to say.....I say have you ever tried it "personally"? If not then you do not speak from experience. MLM experiences have been good and bad for me. Just like shopping at any retail store anywhere in the world. It is the attitude of the people that form your opinions, not the store. To say "I will never shop at Sears, Walmart" or any other store because a person treated you badly just doesn't happen that often.
    I was like that when asked about Amway years ago. I shut down. After another person asked me I decided to check it out. Bottom line it was a good money earner for me. I enjoyed it, the products were good. As each group teaches differently....the group I was with was very much against being pushy. MLM isn't for everyone, but for those it is for, it can work...and work well. Like anything it is hard work but,with little reward at first. I was very happy with the experience.
    So that is my two cents worth. Mine is from personal experience, not hear say. There are lousy MLM companies, as well as lousy retail stores, lousy doctors, lousy drivers (don't get me started on them...LOL) It's sad that other people can have such an impact on ones opinions and thoughts. Have a great day all and be open minded, but true to your own belief.

MLMs are not a misunderstood class of people. They aren't an oppressed race. This is not a rallying cry for the downtrodden and marginalized members of society.

If you stepped out of your MLM, hyper sales pitch bubble, you'd see that most people absolutely loathe watching a friend/family member morph into a cult like product pusher.

Sears never tricked me by asking to hang out when it really just wanted to sell me crap. WalMart doesn't say "Hey you wanna come to a party??" as an excuse to try to unload inferior products on me. Target has never tried to guilt me into buying stuff so they don't lose their house.

If MLM products were any good, they'd be sold in stores. The purpose of using an MLM marketing strategy is to convince suckers that they'll be rich by signing up for a pseudo-pyramid scheme. They then try to enlist their friends or at the very least turn their friends into customers. I can't imagine a more underhanded business practice.

So no, I don't need to be more open minded. I don't need to try and sell MLMs to know they aren't for me. But I'm not surprised that's your angle. "Hey everyone! You should all try these amazing products I have and join me in this unique business opportunity!" Like everyone else has said, no.
    request-five.gif
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Tisk, tisk, tisk. Such closed minded people. Those who have less then positive things to say.....I say have you ever tried it "personally"? If not then you do not speak from experience.
    I've sold vacuums door to door (12 years successfully) and currently have to sell personal training on a daily basis (successfully). There was a time I tried 2 MLM's and neither lived up to what I thought it would. Like many who join, I was "sold" on the moment and the person, not as much with the actual product or service. Pumping people up is what a good MLM person does. They're very good at selling you "dreams" and getting you to hate your current situation enough to embark on a sales job that many AREN'T prepared to take on or really commit to. And since most are acquaintances in some form or another, they trust enough that they sign up.
    Now that's not to say there aren't successful people in an MLM, but with 90% of people who try it paying more into it than they made doing, it's hard to justify to say it's legitimate for just anyone to do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • rml_16
    Options

I downed a few drinks and got silly and a bit loud and they still stayed in their little shells. It was pathetic. And the sales rep wasn't much help, either. She shouldn't have been selling that stuff. She was more the typical bored suburban housewife type than a sex guru.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Well, they are a legitimate business model if that is what you're asking. But if you want to be very successful, you have to get in early and work very hard at recruiting, because in reality it is a recruiting business.
    THIS. It's NOT about the product or service, it's about recruitment. That's where the big money is.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I downed a few drinks and got silly and a bit loud and they still stayed in their little shells. It was pathetic. And the sales rep wasn't much help, either. She shouldn't have been selling that stuff. She was more the typical bored suburban housewife type than a sex guru.

Maybe someone should have done a demo! :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Well, they are a legitimate business model if that is what you're asking. But if you want to be very successful, you have to get in early and work very hard at recruiting, because in reality it is a recruiting business.
    THIS. It's NOT about the product or service, it's about recruitment. That's where the big money is.

IDEA Fitness member

Meh. For some people, it's just about having some part-time income and getting some great products for free. My mom did Avon for years for those reasons alone. She brought in about $100 a week and got free Avon.

If people are thinking they will get rich in sales, they are delusional. It's all about the product to me.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Meh. For some people, it's just about having some part-time income and getting some great products for free. My mom did Avon for years for those reasons alone. She brought in about $100 a week and got free Avon.

If people are thinking they will get rich in sales, they are delusional. It's all about the product to me.
    I'm sure there are some with great products, but like you mentioned getting rich is not happening on a part time basis. Practically every MLM success person I've read about or met did it 12 or more hours a day.

IDEA Fitness member
  • rml_16
    Options

Ha ha!

At the fun one, one of our coworkers was out of town so she couldn't make it. She kept a little stuffed cat on her desk, so we took it after work that Friday and took pictures of it "using" some of the toys, then left the cat and prints of the photos on her desk with a note about how naughty her cat was.
  • MissSarahAllison315
    MissSarahAllison315 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'll probably get jumped on, but I do MLM business and do not shove it down my friends and family's throats. I'm not out to make a lot of money...just get discounts on the products that I buy for myself haha! I'll post about it every so often on Facebook or Instagram, but never like " COME BUY FROM MEEEEE", just usually a pic of what's new this season or something. If people are interested, they contact me, if not, meh, no skin off my back. I still get my discount :p (very small quota to keep discount...aka...what I would buy myself and what my sister would buy as well)

I might be in the minority though...idk?
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Bottom line: unethical business model. Any company that engages in it is a scam, and any person involved in selling the stuff should be run out of town on a railroad.

:angry: You want to deprive people of buying things as they choose? I like my Avon and Mary Kay, especially. Some of us *appreciate* having a person that we know come to our home rather for sales rather than traipsing from store to store and dealing with judgmental strangers. If you would rather go to the mall, then enjoy. I certainly would never suggest shutting down the malls just because I prefer an alternative.

Where did I say that having people come to your house to sell you stuff was wrong? I said the business model of MLM companies was unethical, as is the pressure put on friends and family to buy and host parties. You could have at-home shopping without the scams.
  • Mrsjenningsjr
    Mrsjenningsjr Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Was involved in one; it afforded me to be a stay-at-home mom for the first 5 years of my child's life. Got some cool vacations and met some of the best people in the world. Got burnt out and stopped...never looked back. Still have the relationships though. I can speak from experience, the "success" it's more smoke & mirrors than reality that can be sustained.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Where did I say that having people come to your house to sell you stuff was wrong? I said the business model of MLM companies was unethical, as is the pressure put on friends and family to buy and host parties. You could have at-home shopping without the scams.

Oh, "so running them out of town" and "unethical" means "economic freedom" in richardland? :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Ha ha!

At the fun one, one of our coworkers was out of town so she couldn't make it. She kept a little stuffed cat on her desk, so we took it after work that Friday and took pictures of it "using" some of the toys, then left the cat and prints of the photos on her desk with a note about how naughty her cat was.

Hilarious!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I'm sure there are some with great products, but like you mentioned getting rich is not happening on a part time basis. Practically every MLM success person I've read about or met did it 12 or more hours a day.

IDEA Fitness member

It was probably a crappy product. My mom is an LPN, so she puts in 40 hours a week doing that. When she did Avon, she just passed out catalogs at church and at work to people who asked for them. My mom is no sales lady, but when it's a quality product, like Avon, the people come to you.

I think it's the "get rich" that is the scam. I can't imagine spending 12 hours a day working. Ugh!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Page 4, and I haven't seen Beachbody mentioned once. Where am I?

h6FE3F5F3
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

Oh, "so running them out of town" and "unethical" means "economic freedom" in richardland? :laugh:

Huh? Do one have to be unethical to have economic freedom?
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    You could have at-home shopping without the scams.

So if it's an "at home shopping" MLM it's NOT a scam but if it's any other MLM it IS a scam? :huh: What's the difference then?

As with any business yes, there are models of MLM out there that ARE scams and promise the world without delivering however there are others -- I believe I mentioned tupperware, Mary Kay, Avon in my previous post -- that have been around for years that are perfectly fine MLM businesses. AMWAY is the one that gave the entire business a bad name.

You don't have to "shove it down your friends and families" throats. You just don't. I was involved in one and I never once shoved it down any one's throat. If someone asked me about it I explained it and if they weren't interested or wanted to think about it fine. I had no problem with that.

Again, if someone is thinking of getting into an MLM company they need to do their research because there is no such thing as "unlimited earnings".