What is a good, healthy weight for a woman who is 5'2"?

Options
123457»

Replies

• DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and my goal is 126 lbs. I have been that weight before and was happy there, although I didn't do any exercise at that time so still probably had a higher body fat % than what I am aiming for now. In the past 4 weeks since I started logging consistently and working out a lot, I have lost 5 lbs of pure fat and maintained my lean body mass (calculated using weight and body fat %). I aim for 30% protein and do Stronglifts 3 times a week as well as cardio (mostly running).

I have a small frame going by wrist measurements, but I have large breasts and a very even fat distribution (as in, it is everywhere), so I don't aim to go lower than 126. Also, I have not managed to get below 140 lbs in the past 9 years so I'll be happy even to get there!
  • musclemindca
    Options
    Kim, the ideal weight is "fit". Just toss out the scale and trust what you see in the mirror. Stick with a balanced, solid meal plan, weight train (avoid a lot of cardio). Think "Fill it with Muscle" Glutes, Thighs, Arms ect...shape them. Think "Get strong", Think " Look great, confident and healthy".

It's unfortunate that men are encouraged to eat their protein and lift weights -achieving their goals while woman are cutting cal's and cardioing to "lose weight"

Forget weight - who cares how much a fabulously fit woman weighs :)
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0" and I only plan on going to 125. Those ideal weight things put me at 100lbs. I weighed that, when I was an undeveloped teenager with 33-22-34 measurements or something insane like that. Since my female body has fully matured through pregnancy and lactation, I doubt my 32J breasts will ever let me be that light and look right. I'm currently still rocking good proportions, 41.5-30-40...I just hope to be a little smaller soon!

And since I plan to celebrate my goal weight by getting pregnant again, the numbers thing is really just a number at this point...considering when September comes I'm probably getting pregnant goal or not...:)
  • mscleo1115
    mscleo1115 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    5'2.5 and I used to weigh 120lbs doing hour long cardio sessions 4 to 5 times a week and some light strength training which put me at a size 4 with a high percentage of body fat (30%). I switched to playing in the yard with my son for 20 mins everyday day and incorporating heavy strength training 3 times a week and now I'm 16 pounds heavier and a size 6 with a lower body fat percentage (24%). I definitely prefer my body now than at my lowest weight.
  • Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Well done!!! That is a fantastic loss!

If you are feeling it's just not quite where you want to be, I would say keep working at it. Bring in some weight lifting (if you don't already), and aim for fat loss (not just weight loss). Often it's not the weight but the BF% that makes us feel "thicker" than we'd like.

Good luck!

She hit the nail on the head! When I reached my goal weight I realized that I was a much smaller version of the bigger me, hence I was skinny but still fat. So, I worked on building muscle (which is leaner than fat) and tightened/toned up my body. I would suggest to lift weights if you are not doing so.
  • hilarylin05
    hilarylin05 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow! You've had such an amazing progress! You're at a healthy weight, but if you want to lose some more weight, do it. But don't overdo it either! I'm 5'1 at 118lbs, and I personally would like to be 100, but realistically speaking that's probably not gonna happen. I'd like to be just a tiny bit under 110 if possible. I'm short and feel that every pound makes a difference because of that. It's all personal preference, just remember to be healthy!
  • FitMotivations
    FitMotivations Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and fluctuate between 115-118. I have had 4 children and am feeling the best I have ever felt. I do big cardio 3-4 times a week and strength train with a lot of core exercises about 5 times a week but only for 20-30 min. For the first time in my life I have biceps when I flex! Keep up the hard work!
  • almcneal
    almcneal Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I do have a small frame. This may be a stupid question, but how do I focus on fat loss instead of just weight loss? I do have some weights here but I don't really know what to do with them. Honestly, I'm mostly happy with my body at this point. It's just that my stomach is still bothering me. And yes, I have 7 kids. Life is crazy here.

Congrats on your loss so far. I recently hired a personal trainer and was told to work on strength training and some cardio to continue to lose weight (good weight, meaning fat not muscle). What I ended up doing was using my incline trainer at a slower speed (2-3), higher incline (7-8), for longer periods of time (min of 45 min). I'm 5'4", 157 lbs, and this would keep my heart rate in the fat burning zone; anything higher went to muscle burning. If you have a HRM, I would suggest using that so you can accurately track your burns, but also keep an eye on the ranges that your workouts are in...that should help you out. You can also watch the calories that you are consuming....increase protein calories, decrease fat, sodium & carbs. It's basically a juggling act, but you can get there.

Good luck.
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and my GW is 110, CW 127.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss!!

According to BMI, it says you can healthfully weigh in between 102 and 136 lbs. At 119 lbs, you are at a very good weight. However, if you DO want to lose more, then that is up to you and do what makes you feel better.
  • Kayla3312
    Kayla3312 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am curvy as well (and I am 5"1) so your post helped realise that I am ok now.
    Thank you ;-)
  • baldnavywife
    baldnavywife Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1.5" and 120. I've been stalled there for a while, so am working on a "recomp" -- more muscle tone. I do strength training at least twice a week. Many of the folks have posted good books and resources on training. I started with Body for Life, but then changed over to a routine my personal trainer gave me, which I can finish in about 30 minutes. Usually I train upper one day and lower on another day. I try to do core (ab) work almost every day if I can.
  • JelliLein
    Options
    Hi Kim! supposedly a good weight for a woman this height is 105-110 lbs (5 lbs for every inch over 5'?) but it certainly varies. I'm the same height and my normal weight is 120-125 which is usually when I'm happiest with my body. At one point I dropped to 110 and sadly it was one of the most unhappiest times of my life due to external reasons. Therefore I concluded that health is not just the physical but appreciating and being content with what i already had. Just keep in mind that that there are PLENTY of women who would love to be at your weight and if you do continue to lose weight, keep it healthy and keep happy!
    This is my favorite quote ever. It's so true. As a 5'3" woman, I feel happy at 120-125. When I was 23-24, I was about 100lb. I was starving due to a mix of external issues and poor self-image. Now, at 26, I'm newly married and feel the happiest I've ever been. Sure, I worked out/ate healthy for the wedding, but I also feel that life is too short not to enjoy a beer during a football game. My husband tells me I'm beautiful every single day, and I am arguably heavier than I have ever been during my adult life (125 ish). But the important thing is that I have someone who loves me unconditionally and encourages me to love myself instead of hating the body I was given.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Congrat's on your success!
    This morning I weighed in at 119. I'm still not happy with the way I look. My chest has always been small so there isn't a lot in that area. Just looking for some input. 120 was my goal weight but now that I'm here, I still feel like I could lose some more.
    Going by BMI, at 5'2" a healthy weight range is 105 - 130.
    http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf
    So you're fine now, and 110 would be toward the lower end of the healthy range.
    Have you considered weightlifting? Maybe you would be happy being toned & strong, but at the same weight.
    You'll lose inches & look great.

The last half of my blog post about exercise talks about the basics of weightlifting.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-08-exercise-667080
    If you're not already with a gym, look into the Planet Fitness franchises near you.
    $10 / month, and most of them have trainers on staff, so you don't have to pay anything extra.
    They can help you learn the machines & free weights, set up a program.