What the hell was i thinking???

Options
13»

Replies

• kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I've done P90X and I am doing Insanity right now... both are hard cord work outs pick one and keep at it... once you finish the first one move on to the next one... Good luck!!
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Good luck - you can do it......commit and get stuck in!!!!
  • tat20
    tat20 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    kudos on quitting smoking!!!
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I've never done p90x, but based on what I know about it, I think doing both programs at the same time would be way too much for me. I managed to do Insanity while playing hockey several days a week, and that was quite tough. Ideally, I'd prefer to do Insanity on its own without much other athletic activity. It's a very intense program, but I think it is quite effective!

Good luck!
  • WillowLorraine
    WillowLorraine Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Be gentle with yourself, you are trying to do a lot at once. I'm in recovery for addiction (one of my drugs of choice was alcohol) so we have something in common. I'm going to send you a friend request. Maybe we can help each other!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I haven't read more than a few of the comments so I'm not sure if this was said or not, but I strongly recommend that you do a different, less intense exercise program. Let me explain why.

First, no matter how much you workout, you're not going to get the results you want fast. In fact, overdoing the workouts can be counter productive because you're not allowing your body enough time to heal and recover...and you're potentially putting too much stress on your joints, particularly your knees.

A bit about me...In 2011, I lost over 75 pounds and got into the best shape of my life. I maintained it for most of 2012 until some bad life ish happened (details unimportant here) and I lost focus on my health, began making unhealthy choices again, then made even worse unhealthy choices and ultimately gained most of the weight back. I tried a few times in 2013 to re-boot and get back on track, but I wasn't mentally ready. However, during the summer of 2013, I made some strides before back tracking again. I started making healthy food choices and doing some interval exercises for a few weeks. Then I got Insanity and decided "what the heck...I used to go balls to the wall in 2011 and 2012". I did the entire 63 days of Insanity. Yes, I lost weight. No, I did not come close to getting back to the shape I was in at the end of 2011 (I made progress, sure...but more work would have been required). However, being angry at myself for gaining the weight back is what drove me to finish Insanity. Along the way, I ignored knee soreness that got worse (particularly during the month 2 workouts). I fought through the program and then started T25. But the knee soreness/pain didn't go away. Even with less impact in T25, my knee pain was getting worse. 3 weeks into T25, I finally had to stop. I was discouraged and ticked off. I began making unhealthy food choices again....and then even worse choices...until I gained back the weight I lost doing Insanity and T25. Imagine that....you do Insanity, make progress, get injured, and gain the weight back. You see, my body wasn't ready to do Insanity. My knees were not ready for the pounding that the extra weight my frame was holding was putting on them day after day. I trained hard, but stupidly.

Fast forward to today. After 4-5 months off and knee pain pretty much gone, I'm back at it again. This time, however, I'm training smart. I'm no longer angry at myself. I know what works is: (a) making consistent healthy food choices; and (b) gradual progression in the intensity of exercise. I believe you should push yourself while exercising, but I do not believe you should kill yourself. Pushing yourself might mean walking for 30 minutes at a 3.0 pace, depending on your fitness level. Now, if you stay at that intensity level for 3 months, that's an issue. But, when you're not in shape, overweight, etc., it is not smart to undertake perhaps the most difficult exercise program on DVD (Insanity), let alone double up with another hour of P90X the same day.

I have a simple philosophy...less is more. The benefits of allowing your body time to rest and recover cannot be understated. The benefits of not pushing your body beyond what its ready for cannot be understated.

Right now, it appears that you're being driven by other folks' comments. Screw those people. But accept that its going to take time to achieve the results you want for yourself. By the end of the year, those folks will be eating crow IF you accept that it takes time to achieve results. If, instead, you try to overdo it to get results faster...you will probably do more harm than good.

Train hard, but train smart.

Oh, and no amount of training can outdo bad eating, so make sure you get the eating right. When I lost the weight in 2011, I did almost NO exercise for the first 3 months, focusing instead on getting my eating right, and lost 20 something pounds. I then started with some cardio work for the next 2 months before progressing to resistance work and ultimately mixing in high intensity interval work.

However, in the event you're stubborn like I was last summer and continue with Insanity, please get yourself some knee sleeves and wear them each workout. And get yourself a solid pad/cushion for all of that jumping (if you're not doing the work on carpet). I got those interlocking black squares while doing Insanity and it still didn't save my knees, but things would have been worse if I was jumping up and down on tile. I did not, however, have the knee sleeves until the very end, when it was too late. I'm not saying knee sleeves will save your knees. I am saying to stop doing crazy exercise work until your weight and fitness go through some major changes. But, if you ignore what I am saying, perhaps knee sleeves will help you some. *shrug
  • sloane38
    sloane38 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been an athlete my whole life and even I find the Insanity workouts, well, INSANE. The biggest trick to any workout is to stick with it regularly. I only got through about 20 minutes of the P90X cardio video the first time I tried it too. I played the whole video, but there were lots of breaks with my hands on my knees looking at the screen saying 'WTF, man?'
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Am i the only one that sees the spam?

Awesome job, OP!!!!!! Insanity is awful- i'm doing it now. Could not imagine trying to do P90x along with it.

No, I reported it.

OP that sounds like a recipe for injury. I commend your drive, but I think it would be better to slow down a bit and ease into it rather than hurting yourself and not being able to exercise at all.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I thought I was going crazy!
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Thumbs up to you but one suggestion - replace one of your intense workouts per day with something less intense, maybe yoga or tai chi or walking; something that will help you focus and strengthen your mind. Chances are that your current program is tearing you down, not building you up.
  • RotterdamNL
    RotterdamNL Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Whoaa, i did not expect this many reactions during the day and want to thank you all for the comments, tips, compliments, criticism and concerns.

Although i understand and share some thoughts for now i will stick with em both and have to modify some exercises cause the belly or the weight is bothering me but i keep going at it, tbh i dont find p90x that super intence, that's why i am doing that one after work, insanity is the one i truly hate and i do that one straight out of bed in the morning.

I just came back from a 6hour workday(+4hours travelling) ( i am a piercer and floormanager) and not tired at all tbh, tomorrow there is a rest day which suits me well cause tomorrow i have to work a 10 hour work day (+4hours travel).

Anyways, i'll keep this post close by and will update it for hopefully the full 60 and 90 days and if i think i can't take it anymore i will certainly drop 1 program but for now i will *****slap insanity and p90x (until they *****slap me back haha)
  • RotterdamNL
    RotterdamNL Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Today is my off day but now i feel really tired ^_^ already 6 hours on the job and 3 hours to go but yawningggg