what do you guys think of just eating fruits and salads?

Options

Replies

• threeangelzmom
    Options
    For me eating high lean protein, low carbs and low fat is the absolute key to feeling good, not starving and losing weight. I also add healthy veggies and a little fruit. It's a long term way to live, eat and be healthy. Exercise has also been very helpful.
  • sweetblackberry1
    sweetblackberry1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, i work at a restaurant and is very difficult to avoid the temptation and especially the cravings to eat everything i see, especially when i have anxiety and stress because of the work.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I think I would die or would want to kill myself.

This :laugh:
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    xZSOTh.jpg
  • waytobeduck
    Options
    xZSOTh.jpg

this! :laugh:
  • ALTnJRM
    ALTnJRM Posts: 43
    Options
    I know I personally couldn't do it. I have tried eating mostly plant based but my cravings get out of control and I end up bingeng within a couple of weeks. I just try to make healthier choices everyday and eat in moderation. I try not to tell myself that I can't have something because it just makes me want that thing more. Anyhoo I don't think fruits and salads would be sustainable in the long term.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Because the human body doesn't need fat and protein at all. :noway:
  • AHack3
    AHack3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do it...I wouldn't do it...and I don't recommend it. A balanced diet is best of different types of foods.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Done it.

Was miserable.

The toilette and I were great friends.

Don't make the same mistake especially if the toilette you'll be befriending is the one at work....
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    You will be STARVING. And working around food... that is a binge waiting to happen. Besides, you will get bored too quick - I know I would.

I would say start by eating MORE fruit and salads INSTEAD of other snacks/sides. Replace your go-to snack with a piece of fruit, replace the burger with a salad with lean protein in it, or replace the fries for a side salad. You will save a lot of calories just making those changes, and it is more realistic.

Caution: Be careful of your dressing choice and portion... some dressings are loaded with sugar and fat, and a serving is usually 2 TBSP or less, so if you have 1/4 cup of ranch with your low-cal salad, you could be consuming upward of 300 calories in JUST dressing - YIKES!
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Bad idea. You need a balanced diet or you die of malnutrition. Lots of sugars and carbs and little protein for your muscles or calcium for your bones. Read up on nutrition and enjoy your food.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    'If it meats your macros'.
    But then my salads usually contain a good lot of lean meat too.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    For me eating high lean protein, low carbs and low fat is the absolute key to feeling good, not starving and losing weight. I also add healthy veggies and a little fruit. It's a long term way to live, eat and be healthy. Exercise has also been very helpful.

It really bugs me when I see this advice. High protein, low carb/low fat diets can be dangerous if used over the "long term". NO NO and NO.

OP: don't fear the fat, and you must get some protein. Must. Really. Look at my food diary and ticker. My plan is specific to metabolic disorder which included obesity, diabetes, depression, binge eating disorder, and many others. Not everyone need do what I do but for my problems it's a win. There's nothing low fat going on there and if I did avoid fat, I'd be very, very sick still.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    'If it meats your macros'.
    But then my salads usually contain a good lot of lean meat too.

I always macro my meat
  • geebusuk
    Options
    Let's pretend I meant to write that and it was a pun related to the next line?

:)
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I think I would be absolutely miserable. Unless the salad was covered in bacon and chicken you can hold the lettuce. Is there an ice cream salad or something too?

526930_682453501783127_1100416009_n.jpg

OMG where can I get that salad?!! =D
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Let's pretend I meant to write that and it was a pun related to the next line?

:)

We have a meating of the minds here
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself "Am I just going to eat fruit and salads the REST OF MY LIFE?" If not, then doing this is just a temporary fix.

I agree with this, that being said people have been known to do it, but it is very difficult (not impossible) to get a balanced diet to meets all your nutritional needs.

If this is just a quick fix to lose weight I would reconsider your options, but if there is a deeper reason for doing this then I would do research into how to do this in a healthy manner that meets all your nutritional needs.

Fruitarians and raw vegans are not unheard of and there whole websites,books etc dedicated to the lifestyle.

I think it still boils down to motive, adherence and health.

Footnote: If you do decide to adopt this lifestyle would love to see your diary and how you are hitting your macros and what quantities of what foods you have to eat to achieve your daily goals.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself "Am I just going to eat fruit and salads the REST OF MY LIFE?" If not, then doing this is just a temporary fix.

I agree with this, that being said people have been known to do it, but it is very difficult (not impossible) to get a balanced diet to meets all your nutritional needs.

If this is just a quick fix to lose weight I would reconsider your options, but if there is a deeper reason for doing this then I would do research into how to do this in a healthy manner that meets all your nutritional needs.

Fruitarians and raw vegans are not unheard of and there whole websites,books etc dedicated to the lifestyle.

I think it still boils down to motive, adherence and health.

Footnote: If you do decide to adopt this lifestyle would love to see your diary and how you are hitting your macros and what quantities of what foods you have to eat to achieve your daily goals.
    Spinach has 40% of its calories from protein, but if you can eat enough spinach to meet your protein needs, then Mister, you're a better man than I. And I have been called "The Spinach Assassin." :laugh:
  • geebusuk
    Options
    We have a meating of the minds here
    Yes, wouldn't want there to be beef over it with someone getting all jerky!