HOW DO YOU EAT SO MUCH PROTEIN?!

Options

Replies

• TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I hate that calculator. For some reason, it defaults to a ketogenic (or very low) carbohydrate level and confuses the ever loving **** out of everyone.

Use the calorie goal it gave you and calculate your macros using this instead: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • Kriistabell
    Kriistabell Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Why do you think the protein HAS to be that high? Just go for 1g/lb. IIFYM calculator isn't the secret to weight loss, calorie deficit is.

The protein macros I use are similar, but I'm 163lbs, powerlift, and cut on about 500 cal/day more. I have no problem meeting my #'s and they could be lower, as in 163g, but I also ENJOY eating that much protein. If a diet doesn't "work" for you, it won't last. Drop the protein and add more carbs, if you see a difference other than some possible water retention intially, then bump protein back up.

Well I am going for fat loss and muscle gain and I weight 165 and lift heavy weights also. I could definitely hit 165g a day no problem. I use the IIFYM calculator because from what I understand IIFYM is designed to help you meet your individual goals. I am going to recalculate though. Last week my macros were different and the diet was working for me really well. I will see about doing 165g a day instead. Thanks
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    It's a gift
  • Kriistabell
    Options
    Edamame.
    Nuts.
    Greek yogurt.
    Chicken.
    Steak.
    Salmon.
    Turkey.
    Cheese.
    Bacon.
    Bacon.
    And some more bacon.
    Sausage links.
    Chia seeds/flax seeds.

haha @ bacon.. I can't eat most of that I don't eat meat. Egg white and salmon is me all day. I can add in those chia seeds and flax for sure though. Gracias!
  • Kriistabell
    Options
    your protein goal is a mathematical function of your lean body mass. there's no reason for you to have a goal of 208g.

protein = 1.0g/lb of LBM

this is a minimum, but once you reach this amount, you're fine if you don't want to eat more.

e.g. if your BF% is 30% and your body weight is 155lbs, then...

(100% - 30%) x 155 = 108.5

1.0g x 108.5 = 108.5g = ~109g of protein.

more protein won't hurt and if you're a serious weight lifter, more protein will be beneficial, but the 1.0g/lb of LBM recommendation should be more than sufficient for most women. it has a built-in safety margin already.

I like this much better lol I'll look into it, thank you
  • Kriistabell
    Options
    Go look at my journal, srsly. Just go look.

I basically do what you do except instead of chicken I eat egg whites haha. Your protein is pretty high considering everyone is telling me that mine is too high!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Why do you think the protein HAS to be that high? Just go for 1g/lb. IIFYM calculator isn't the secret to weight loss, calorie deficit is.

The protein macros I use are similar, but I'm 163lbs, powerlift, and cut on about 500 cal/day more. I have no problem meeting my #'s and they could be lower, as in 163g, but I also ENJOY eating that much protein. If a diet doesn't "work" for you, it won't last. Drop the protein and add more carbs, if you see a difference other than some possible water retention intially, then bump protein back up.

Well I am going for fat loss and muscle gain and I weight 165 and lift heavy weights also. I could definitely hit 165g a day no problem. I use the IIFYM calculator because from what I understand IIFYM is designed to help you meet your individual goals. I am going to recalculate though. Last week my macros were different and the diet was working for me really well. I will see about doing 165g a day instead. Thanks

you're still higher than you need to be at 165g. you're confusing bodyweight and LBM in the calculations. for protein, what matters is the amount of LBM. eating extra protein can't hurt (unless you have a medical issue), but it's wasted once you meet your body's actual needs for the day.
  • Kriistabell
    Options
    Just customize your MACROS...165 instead of 208...next caller...

I didn't know I could just make up my own numbers. I thought the calculator was supposed to help you out with that..
  • Kriistabell
    Options

you're still higher than you need to be at 165g. you're confusing bodyweight and LBM in the calculations. for protein, what matters is the amount of LBM. eating extra protein can't hurt (unless you have a medical issue), but it's wasted once you meet your body's actual needs for the day.

So my protein should be 123g a day if my BMI is 25% ..?
  • Kriistabell
    Options
    Protein shakes/bars
    Cottage cheese
    Greek yogurt
    Tuna- a nine ounce tuna steak has about 300 calories and 60 grams of protein
    Swordfish

I've never had a tuna steak, that is awesome! Thank you!
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I focus on my protein level and the rest falls into place.. well.. no i miss fats a lot, but carbs and protein are good.

I eat cottage cheese, yogurt, cheese, milk , usually 1 scoop of protein powder, spinach, broccoli, 10-16 oz meat. tuna on salads egg and egg whites together.

If you need to increase protein you just need to focus on that macro. I'm not an expert on the math, but if you are under in protein you have to be over in something else.. so look at where you are over and swap that for something high in protein.

My goal is 160, but i usually get more then that. and miss my fat macro.

^^^^^^
    This is the way I do it, protein first, then fat and then carbs. I ignore MFPs scaled protein levels though. As a fish eating vegie most of my protein (usually 150-160 gms per day) come from shakes, I try and eat fish and quorn but I need to hammer the protein powder to get the levels up
  • davert123
    Options

Here is a lean body mass calculator

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/lean-body-mass

I am not sure of its accuracy but it is better than me guessing I'm sure
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Change it to aim for 130-160G. Increase carbs, don't deprive yourself and everything becomes a lot easier. (I'd probably drop the fat to around 20% of total cals)
  • Kriistabell
    Options
    Are you sure you haven't accidentally used male values on the calculator?

(if it doesn't have an option to choose male/female, it's going to be waaaaaaay overestimating for you, anyway)

I just re-did it checking off male and then tried again with female ... the results were the same. I think you solved the mystery lol this calculator doesn't differentiate
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

i don't think BMI correlates to BF% that directly...

you can estimate your BF% using this picture and then use that number % for the calculations. it's close enough. you don't have to be exactly accurate since your protein goal is a daily minimum anyway.

body-fat-percentage-women.jpg
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

are you thinking of body fat percentage or BMI? they are two totally different things. if your body fat percentage is 25%, multiply your total weight by .75 to get your LBM and protein goal.
  • Kriistabell
    Options
    Change it to aim for 130-160G. Increase carbs, don't deprive yourself and everything becomes a lot easier. (I'd probably drop the fat to around 20% of total cals)

I just recalculated using 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass and everything you just said basically came up as my numbers. Thank you!
  • BeanQueen3000
    Options
    Beans are great- lentils, pintos, black beans... All are both high in fiber and protein-- just mind the sodium if you're buying them canned. They'll also give you crazy gas for a minute, but hey...
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    That is a lot of protein. I'm a 6'1" male and my target is only 165 grams/day.

Thats how I feel! I feel like something might be wrong. I'm a 5'8 female at 165 pounds and I workout about 3 or 4 times a week with heavy weights and play basketball once a week. I can do 165g's but 208 is killing me!

• davert123
    Options

I can see why the OP said this BUT there is research which shows that if you keep your protein level high and cut the carbs instead you will drop less lean body mass and conversely more fat so while it is true a calorie deficit is what is needed to shift weight it comes down to your macros as to what bit of you is reducing. This doesn't mean no carbs of course, it just means enough protein :-)