HOW DO YOU EAT SO MUCH PROTEIN?!

Options

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    This may be a really dumb question, but what's protein coffee? I'm a vegetarian too and trying to gain weight, and it's a constant struggle to come near my protein goal. I have no idea how I'd even get near 208g. I'm looking through your diary to get some new ideas!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    That is a lot of protein. I'm a 6'1" male and my target is only 165 grams/day.

Thats how I feel! I feel like something might be wrong. I'm a 5'8 female at 165 pounds and I workout about 3 or 4 times a week with heavy weights and play basketball once a week. I can do 165g's but 208 is killing me!

The amount of protein to set as a goal is entirely up to you. If you aren't comfortable with the current number, go ahead and change it. :)

I also find that the way MFP adjusts the goals as you add exercise into your day is...non-ideal. I meet my protein/fat goals in my base calories, and anything extra from exercise I want as mostly carbs. But MFP doesn't have that flexibility, so it keeps up the targets for all macros. So I just ignore it. :smile:
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    This may be a really dumb question, but what's protein coffee? I'm a vegetarian too and trying to gain weight, and it's a constant struggle to come near my protein goal. I have no idea how I'd even get near 208g. I'm looking through your diary to get some new ideas!

I'd assume it's protein powder mixed in with coffee in some way or form.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 pounds of greek yogurt per week
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Why do you think the protein HAS to be that high? Just go for 1g/lb. IIFYM calculator isn't the secret to weight loss, calorie deficit is.

The protein macros I use are similar, but I'm 163lbs, powerlift, and cut on about 500 cal/day more. I have no problem meeting my #'s and they could be lower, as in 163g, but I also ENJOY eating that much protein. If a diet doesn't "work" for you, it won't last. Drop the protein and add more carbs, if you see a difference other than some possible water retention intially, then bump protein back up.

Well I am going for fat loss and muscle gain and I weight 165 and lift heavy weights also. I could definitely hit 165g a day no problem. I use the IIFYM calculator because from what I understand IIFYM is designed to help you meet your individual goals. I am going to recalculate though. Last week my macros were different and the diet was working for me really well. I will see about doing 165g a day instead. Thanks

you're still higher than you need to be at 165g. you're confusing bodyweight and LBM in the calculations. for protein, what matters is the amount of LBM. eating extra protein can't hurt (unless you have a medical issue), but it's wasted once you meet your body's actual needs for the day.

So my protein should be 123g a day if my BMI is 25% ..?

i don't think BMI correlates to BF% that directly...

you can estimate your BF% using this picture and then use that number % for the calculations. it's close enough. you don't have to be exactly accurate since your protein goal is a daily minimum anyway.

body-fat-percentage-women.jpg

but protien levels should be calculated of Lean body mass not %fat. I think there is more to lean body mass than total mass - fat but I may be mistaken
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 pounds of greek yogurt per week

fromage frais is also really high in protein :-)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I can see why the OP said this BUT there is research which shows that if you keep your protein level high and cut the carbs instead you will drop less lean body mass and conversely more fat...

That's not "will", that's "may". And the protein level the OP is talking about is already waaaaaaay past "high".

A common guideline for lean mass retention is 1g per pound of fat-free mass. For the OP, that could be anything from 50-100g less than her current target.
  • Kriistabell
    Kriistabell Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Why do you think the protein HAS to be that high? Just go for 1g/lb. IIFYM calculator isn't the secret to weight loss, calorie deficit is.

The protein macros I use are similar, but I'm 163lbs, powerlift, and cut on about 500 cal/day more. I have no problem meeting my #'s and they could be lower, as in 163g, but I also ENJOY eating that much protein. If a diet doesn't "work" for you, it won't last. Drop the protein and add more carbs, if you see a difference other than some possible water retention intially, then bump protein back up.

Well I am going for fat loss and muscle gain and I weight 165 and lift heavy weights also. I could definitely hit 165g a day no problem. I use the IIFYM calculator because from what I understand IIFYM is designed to help you meet your individual goals. I am going to recalculate though. Last week my macros were different and the diet was working for me really well. I will see about doing 165g a day instead. Thanks

you're still higher than you need to be at 165g. you're confusing bodyweight and LBM in the calculations. for protein, what matters is the amount of LBM. eating extra protein can't hurt (unless you have a medical issue), but it's wasted once you meet your body's actual needs for the day.

So my protein should be 123g a day if my BMI is 25% ..?

i don't think BMI correlates to BF% that directly...

you can estimate your BF% using this picture and then use that number % for the calculations. it's close enough. you don't have to be exactly accurate since your protein goal is a daily minimum anyway.

body-fat-percentage-women.jpg

Ok so I would say I'm at a BF% of about 27% I am terrible at math that picture is very helpful lol
  • Kriistabell
    Options

I'd assume it's protein powder mixed in with coffee in some way or form.

He got it ^

I mix my powder with a little bit of cool water (a very little bit, just to mix it up) and then heat up my coffee and add it in (if it is boiling hot it will turn your protein coffee into protein pudding disgustingness. But if you do it right it tastes great and is a good replacement for coffee creamer and sugar :)
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

I can see why the OP said this BUT there is research which shows that if you keep your protein level high and cut the carbs instead you will drop less lean body mass and conversely more fat so while it is true a calorie deficit is what is needed to shift weight it comes down to your macros as to what bit of you is reducing. This doesn't mean no carbs of course, it just means enough protein :-)
    But there's a practical limit to how much protein you can eat and still stay within your calorie limit, and this is coming from someone who *does* eat 1 g/lb. of total body weight, not LBM. I can't cut any more carbs, or my training will suffer. For me, 35/40/25 C/P/F is the ratio that seems to work best for me. I think everybody has to find what ratio works best for them.
  • Kriistabell
    Options

I hope my diary helps although I am not sure if you are a pure vegetarian as I am not. I eat fish and eggs which make up most of my protein for the day.
  • Kriistabell
    Options

I can see why the OP said this BUT there is research which shows that if you keep your protein level high and cut the carbs instead you will drop less lean body mass and conversely more fat so while it is true a calorie deficit is what is needed to shift weight it comes down to your macros as to what bit of you is reducing. This doesn't mean no carbs of course, it just means enough protein :-)
    But there's a practical limit to how much protein you can eat and still stay within your calorie limit, and this is coming from someone who *does* eat 1 g/lb. of total body weight, not LBM. I can't cut any more carbs, or my training will suffer. For me, 35/40/25 C/P/F is the ratio that seems to work best for me. I think everybody has to find what ratio works best for them.

35/40/25 is doable for me but I guess I will have to do trial and error until I figure out what is right. I am just a little nervous that if I put the wrong percentages I'll end up losing muscle and gaining fat
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    If you eat bread, there's a bread called P28 that has 14g protein per slice (28g for 2 slices). The slices are huge, one slice is easily the equivalent of two slices of regular bread. It's a bit more expensive but an easy way to help hit your protein goals.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    but protien levels should be calculated of Lean body mass not %fat. I think there is more to lean body mass than total mass - fat but I may be mistaken

LBM = (100% - BF%) x bodyweight
  • Kriistabell
    Options
    If you eat bread, there's a bread called P28 that has 14g protein per slice (28g for 2 slices). The slices are huge, one slice is easily the equivalent of two slices of regular bread. It's a bit more expensive but an easy way to help hit your protein goals.

omg I've heard of that stuff and I am so curious as to where on this beautiful earth I can find it!! it looks awesome!
  • Kriistabell
    Options
    Hey guys so I took all of your advice and came up with some new numbers. My calories are 1757 still but now my C/P/F is 132/154/68

That actually sounds too easy and too good to be true. What do you guys think??
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Hey guys so I took all of your advice and came up with some new numbers. My calories are 1757 still but now my C/P/F is 132/154/68

Looks good to me. A lot easier and cheaper, too.
  • Kriistabell
    Options

Looks good to me. A lot easier and cheaper, too.

Definitely. Thanks a lot! Tomorrow will be much better haha
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Try adding in some Almonds - but don't go over 20/day. That should help with Proteins for snacks, etc during the day without killing your carb count.

Almonds. Are. Not. A. Good. Source. Of. Protein.