Gluten. Dairy. Sugar.

Options

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    **Meanwhile, in my fortress of evil**

I'm glad you've had success but the weight loss isn't purely because you cut those three things. It's because by eliminating those things from your diet, you created a calorie deficit. I wish you the best but have no intention of ever giving up these things. Especially the dairy...ice cream.... Also, 30 lbs in 2 months seems ridiculous and not healthy for most people, so...

Not always true. I cut those same things, and replaced it with other whole food calories. I did NOT create a larger calorie deficit. And I'm losing weight...

These threads boil my blood b/c there are so few people out there who give inflammation reduction any credit for weight loss. I had one HELL of a deficit going - eating 1500 calories a day, watching macros, working out a minimum of an hour a day, strength training.. I can count on ONE HAND the number of pounds I lost in TWO YEARS doing that. I cut gluten, I cut sugar and I cut dairy and 55 lbs fell off in a matter of 8 months. Fast forward to the holidays, reintroduce dairy, sugar and gluten, 26 lbs climb onto my frame in only 2 months, counting out the same number of calories and working out just as much as I did when the 55 lbs fell off. Fast forward again to January 6, when I again cut gluten, dairy and sugar... 9 lbs gone in a month. Same 2000 calorie diet. Same run schedule. Nothing changed but the food...

If all else stays the same, calorie deficit, workouts, sleep, etc, with only changing the types of food I put in my body, and the weight falls off, I'm inclined to believe it's the type of food that matters.

Then it wasn't the same calorie deficit. You miscalculated the calorie intake.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

I'm glad you've had success but the weight loss isn't purely because you cut those three things. It's because by eliminating those things from your diet, you created a calorie deficit.

How do you know she isn't eating the same amount of calories, just from different foods?

because OP claimed to lose weight..the only way to lose weight is to create a calorie deficit….its called math ...

So you don't think changing the composition of one's diet, but leaving the calories the same, could cause weight loss? Even though the body uses different amounts of energy to process carbs vs. fat vs. protein, thus creating the caloric deficit?

Eating fewer calories and exercising more aren't the only ways to create a deficit.
    No. The difference in amount of energy used to digest protein vs carbs vs fat is negligible. Mathematically, higher protein, higher fat, and lower carb diets actually take less energy to digest than higher carb, moderate protein and moderate fat diets.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    I am on a detox right now which eliminates gluten (I was already not eating gluten), sugar, dairy, alcohol, caffeine, soy. All of these foods cause inflammation and don't allow the body to heal from the inside. I have lost 8 lbs already. They say it helps prevent the accumulation of cholesterol in arteries as well. I am vegetarian (mostly vegan, still eat cage free, organic eggs from a local farm in my state) and honestly believe that a plant based diet is the healthiest and most humane way to live.

+1

especially because eating vegan does not include eating chicken embryos. That is not considered humane. Or plant based.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Eeek. Okay, I've gotta go so stuffs but I can't wait to come back.

kdwuo4.jpg
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I wonder if there is some truth to this for certain body types, because ever since I cut out these 3 my entire life has changed. Healthwise and fitnesswise. I think this will probably piss people off touted as a magical mystery cure but for me, it was a huge step because it got me eating greens and fruit and my acid reflux stopped kicking my butt.

if you eat greens and fruit you are still eating "evil sugar" so you have not eliminated sugar..

you have just massively restricted your intake to a point where you have created a calorie deficit…

I think they meant processed sugar not natural sugar.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    I wonder if there is some truth to this for certain body types, because ever since I cut out these 3 my entire life has changed. Healthwise and fitnesswise. I think this will probably piss people off touted as a magical mystery cure but for me, it was a huge step because it got me eating greens and fruit and my acid reflux stopped kicking my butt.

if you eat greens and fruit you are still eating "evil sugar" so you have not eliminated sugar..

you have just massively restricted your intake to a point where you have created a calorie deficit…

I think they meant processed sugar not natural sugar.

Sugar is sugar.
  • benefiting
    Options
    I am on a detox right now which eliminates gluten (I was already not eating gluten), sugar, dairy, alcohol, caffeine, soy. All of these foods cause inflammation and don't allow the body to heal from the inside. I have lost 8 lbs already. They say it helps prevent the accumulation of cholesterol in arteries as well. I am vegetarian (mostly vegan, still eat cage free, organic eggs from a local farm in my state) and honestly believe that a plant based diet is the healthiest and most humane way to live.

People take information to the extreme. NONE of this is true if you eat at a moderate deficit and hit your macro and micro nutrients. All the issues with all the above is the abuse of it, not the moderation of it. I wish people would stop being so dramatic. It's a bit insane. It's like there's this whole outside evil world trying to kill you. Lol.

And they don't have a right to their opinion, why? I know it can sound like they are telling you it as a fact but it really is just an opinion.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options

I'm glad you've had success but the weight loss isn't purely because you cut those three things. It's because by eliminating those things from your diet, you created a calorie deficit. I wish you the best but have no intention of ever giving up these things. Especially the dairy...ice cream.... Also, 30 lbs in 2 months seems ridiculous and not healthy for most people, so...

Not always true. I cut those same things, and replaced it with other whole food calories. I did NOT create a larger calorie deficit. And I'm losing weight...

These threads boil my blood b/c there are so few people out there who give inflammation reduction any credit for weight loss. I had one HELL of a deficit going - eating 1500 calories a day, watching macros, working out a minimum of an hour a day, strength training.. I can count on ONE HAND the number of pounds I lost in TWO YEARS doing that. I cut gluten, I cut sugar and I cut dairy and 55 lbs fell off in a matter of 8 months. Fast forward to the holidays, reintroduce dairy, sugar and gluten, 26 lbs climb onto my frame in only 2 months, counting out the same number of calories and working out just as much as I did when the 55 lbs fell off. Fast forward again to January 6, when I again cut gluten, dairy and sugar... 9 lbs gone in a month. Same 2000 calorie diet. Same run schedule. Nothing changed but the food...

If all else stays the same, calorie deficit, workouts, sleep, etc, with only changing the types of food I put in my body, and the weight falls off, I'm inclined to believe it's the type of food that matters.

You can believe all you want. ..because magic. But the truth is, if you gained, you were eating too much. You weren't logging correctly or there was some error in your measurement of your intake. Less calorie dense foods (I.e. veggies, fruits, etc) are easier to guess to create a deficit as oppose to calorie dense things. That doesn't mean you're special and can't lose with them, it means you need to be careful with adding them to your diet. .. law of thermodynamics doesn't just magically poof into a cloud of smoke because you belieeeeeeve.

I said this in another quote, but I am meticulous about weighing, measuring, and reporting even the spices I use in my recipes. I know what I'm eating and how much. TYVM.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free and diary free - Coeliac and milk allergy but I still managed to put on over 100lbs by eating too many substitute products. If you cut these and not replace them the chances are you are eating a pretty clean and lower calorie diet and therefore lost weight.
  • mccindy72
    Options

People take information to the extreme. NONE of this is true if you eat at a moderate deficit and hit your macro and micro nutrients. All the issues with all the above is the abuse of it, not the moderation of it. I wish people would stop being so dramatic. It's a bit insane. It's like there's this whole outside evil world trying to kill you. Lol.

And they don't have a right to their opinion, why? I know it can sound like they are telling you it as a fact but it really is just an opinion.

Because they present it as a fact, someone who doesn't know any better takes it as a fact and uses it as such and tries to lose weight and eat using that information and it's wrong. We are trying to stop that from happening.
  • otillie03103
    otillie03103 Posts: 107 Member
    Options

so you eat zero sugar…no carbs, fruit, etc, right?

The only fruit I am allowed to have on this diet are minimal berries, green apples and citrus fruits. So it's more about processed sugars and eliminating high sugar content fruits. Besides those allowed items, I do not eat any sugar.
  • jeardawg
    jeardawg Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Your diary shows you eating between 1200 and 1400 calories. Not 2000 calories. And missed days logging.

You are losing weight because you have a significant deficit going on the days that you logged. Your habit on not logging regularly is probably what got you during the holidays, not because you decided to eat (too much) of foods with gluten, dairy and sugar in them.

Yes, the last two days I have eaten less - just not hungry. Check back to last week.

I use a notebook to log my foods. I enter them here when I have time...

Additionally, I am METICULOUS about weighing, measuring and reporting even SPICES in my recipes. You don't know JACK about what I do or how I log so how can you make these claims?

I love people who say a calorie is a calorie, and deficit is the only answer for weight loss. ASk someone with food alergies or who is diabetic whether some food can affect you differently.. Deficit is important, but never discount that certain foods affect certain people differently.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Your diary shows you eating between 1200 and 1400 calories. Not 2000 calories. And missed days logging.

You are losing weight because you have a significant deficit going on the days that you logged. Your habit on not logging regularly is probably what got you during the holidays, not because you decided to eat (too much) of foods with gluten, dairy and sugar in them.

Yes, the last two days I have eaten less - just not hungry. Check back to last week.

I use a notebook to log my foods. I enter them here when I have time...

Additionally, I am METICULOUS about weighing, measuring and reporting even SPICES in my recipes. You don't know JACK about what I do or how I log so how can you make these claims?

I love people who say a calorie is a calorie, and deficit is the only answer for weight loss. ASk someone with food alergies or who is diabetic how true this is..

I have multiple food intolerances and allergies. Yep, it's very true. I also have a few family members who are diabetic. True for them too. Caloirie deficit = weight loss.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Everyone just needs to find what works for them. There is no "One way fits all", unfortunately. I choose a mostly Paleo lifestyle because that is what works for me. I don't like feeling deprived, and counting calories/weighing food drives me nuts. I eat a lot of proteins, vegetables, fruits and fats and I'm losing weight. But that doesn't mean it's for everyone. To each their own.
  • mccindy72
    Options

so you eat zero sugar…no carbs, fruit, etc, right?

The only fruit I am allowed to have on this diet are minimal berries, green apples and citrus fruits. So it's more about processed sugars and eliminating high sugar content fruits. Besides those allowed items, I do not eat any sugar.

Kinda skipped the carbs question there.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I have a mild gluten allergy and a bigger dairy intolerance. I admire what you did because I have the hardest time kicking those to the curb. Dairy is a bit easier, but gluten is in everything. When I haven't had those for a few consecutive days I feel sooo good!

If you honestly have these intolerances, you should probably be going more than a few consecutive days without eating them. It shouldn't be hard to stop eating something your body doesn't tolerate.

I don't know about that? I have met people who claim to be lactose intolerant, but they love milk, cheese, etc. and continue to eat it...and let the rest of us suffer as they exemplify the ill side effects from it. :laugh:
  • otillie03103
    otillie03103 Posts: 107 Member
    Options

Because they present it as a fact, someone who doesn't know any better takes it as a fact and uses it as such and tries to lose weight and eat using that information and it's wrong. We are trying to stop that from happening.

How is it taking it to the extreme? It's a 28 day detox and not forever. I honestly have issues with gluten, it makes me sick. So it's not being extreme by eliminating it. I limit these items usually anyways. I would do more research about the effects of these items on the body (many studies out there prove it) before making such a statement that limiting these items is wrong. I will eat these items with the exception of white sugar and gluten containing items in moderation. Why do you think they limit the amount of carbs, sugar, sodium, etc on here? Because too much of anything can be bad. Sugar, dairy and gluten have all been studied numerous times and are usually overly processed. They are now making laws that GMO items for example need to be posted on packaging, because it's been proven to cause health issues, diseases, cancer for example and some countries have banned them. Believe what you want, but I'd rather put nutritious food rather then genetically modified and processed junk in my body. I feel so much better eating this way, why would I go back?
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

I'm glad you've had success but the weight loss isn't purely because you cut those three things. It's because by eliminating those things from your diet, you created a calorie deficit.

How do you know she isn't eating the same amount of calories, just from different foods?

because OP claimed to lose weight..the only way to lose weight is to create a calorie deficit….its called math ...

So you don't think changing the composition of one's diet, but leaving the calories the same, could cause weight loss? Even though the body uses different amounts of energy to process carbs vs. fat vs. protein, thus creating the caloric deficit?

Eating fewer calories and exercising more aren't the only ways to create a deficit.

:huh:

I'm not sure you understand what deficit we're talking about. Unless you claim that dropping these foods increases one's metabolism, in which case I'd love to see legitimate documentation.
  • benefiting
    Options
    I don't know why you bothered to post this thread. People who have different beliefs are going to try and prove you wrong.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!