Gluten. Dairy. Sugar.

Options

Replies

• WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Wow! I came here for a little encouragement in my journey. The first thread I look at is in the 'Success Stories' forum and what do I see? Well, if I say 'vicious attacks', many will get defensive and direct those comments toward me, whether I was referring to them or not. Anyway. I see this thread as rather sad.

To the original poster, you know your body. If those foods were hurting you, and obviously they were, you made a good choice. I, too, have eliminated gluten, dairy (mostly), and process/refined sugar/honey/etc. from my diet. I am gluten and lactose intolerant and diabetic. I haven't lost weight but am holding steady and feel better than I have in years. It's just a matter of time till I'm able to exercise more and the pounds will start dropping. Thank you to the original poster for the reminder that weight loss is possible I was beginning to doubt.

Yeah, that's MFP, in a nutshell. This is a hot button topic for MFP'ers. There are others, as well (eating below 1200 calories/day comes to mind).

Stick around, you CAN find supportive people here, too.

so whenver someone posts something that is not accurate we are all just supposed to jump on the bandwagon and say "hooray, great job OP!" even if we know the reasoning/logic behind said post is wrong?

Look people are going to come in here and think that this is a plan for long term success which it is not …so if we are not being "supportive' for blindly supporting every "sugar is the devil" post, then sure, whatever...

Nope, but there's a non-douchie way of correcting people, ndj. :wink:
  • otillie03103
    otillie03103 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Wow! I came here for a little encouragement in my journey. The first thread I look at is in the 'Success Stories' forum and what do I see? Well, if I say 'vicious attacks', many will get defensive and direct those comments toward me, whether I was referring to them or not. Anyway. I see this thread as rather sad.

To the original poster, you know your body. If those foods were hurting you, and obviously they were, you made a good choice. I, too, have eliminated gluten, dairy (mostly), and process/refined sugar/honey/etc. from my diet. I am gluten and lactose intolerant and diabetic. I haven't lost weight but am holding steady and feel better than I have in years. It's just a matter of time till I'm able to exercise more and the pounds will start dropping. Thank you to the original poster for the reminder that weight loss is possible I was beginning to doubt.

Yeah, that's MFP, in a nutshell. This is a hot button topic for MFP'ers. There are others, as well (eating below 1200 calories/day comes to mind).

That's what I was hoping for on here. I honestly think I may not bother with the boards at all as it seems you can't post your opinion without others telling you non stop that you are completely wrong. You post what worked for you and suddenly you are supposedly telling everyone they should eat the same way you do. Ugh. I thought maybe we could all share what works for us and use them as ideas to tailor our diets that work with our own tolerences. I'm going to stick to my own research and not look for ideas from people on message boards. You just end up getting bashed.

Well, the agreed upon basics (calories in v. calories out being the main one) are correct, but the way you achieve the deficit is your business. I personally achieve a deficit through eating fewer "simple carbs," but that's only because I have so few calories/day and know that "simple carbs" are "caloric fun extras" that don't stick with me as long as protein and veggies do. That's not to say carbs are evil; that's just how I cut calories. Someone else might cut back on desserts, or protein (if they're eating more than a serving and don't need the extra protein), while someone else might cut back on cheeses and sauces. It's what personally works for you. However, calling foods "evil" is not well tolerated here. Don't be the newbie that makes that mistake. Lol!

I never stated foods are evil. I actually said in response to one person that if they can eat processed foods and still feel full and lose weight that I was jealous. I feel hungry on them and found whole foods help to keep me full longer. In most cases many forms of gluten, sugar and dairy are processed in one way or another (not all, but many found in stores).
  • kickassketo
    kickassketo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    What a bunch of babies. Someone shares her success story, but it's not how YOU choose to lose weight so you attack her and her methods? Such nasty, childish people here.

Good for you OP! It's awesome to find a plan that works for you!
  • jeardawg
    jeardawg Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Great job OP! Do what works for you.
    Best post on this whole thread !
  • otillie03103
    Options

so whenver someone posts something that is not accurate we are all just supposed to jump on the bandwagon and say "hooray, great job OP!" even if we know the reasoning/logic behind said post is wrong?

Look people are going to come in here and think that this is a plan for long term success which it is not …so if we are not being "supportive' for blindly supporting every "sugar is the devil" post, then sure, whatever...

+1
  • teresalevite
    teresalevite Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for the encouraging comments. I have pretty thick skin and will stick around. I'm happy for all the 'Calorie Deficient' posters that is simple math. For some of us (myself in the 'over 50' group) with 'issues', we feel like we need a slide rule calculator.

Oh, BTW, Gluten is not a 'Food Group'. It's a protein.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

That's what I was hoping for on here. I honestly think I may not bother with the boards at all as it seems you can't post your opinion without others telling you non stop that you are completely wrong. You post what worked for you and suddenly you are supposedly telling everyone they should eat the same way you do. Ugh. I thought maybe we could all share what works for us and use them as ideas to tailor our diets that work with our own tolerences. I'm going to stick to my own research and not look for ideas from people on message boards. You just end up getting bashed.

Well, the agreed upon basics (calories in v. calories out being the main one) are correct, but the way you achieve the deficit is your business. I personally achieve a deficit through eating fewer "simple carbs," but that's only because I have so few calories/day and know that "simple carbs" are "caloric fun extras" that don't stick with me as long as protein and veggies do. That's not to say carbs are evil; that's just how I cut calories. Someone else might cut back on desserts, or protein (if they're eating more than a serving and don't need the extra protein), while someone else might cut back on cheeses and sauces. It's what personally works for you. However, calling foods "evil" is not well tolerated here. Don't be the newbie that makes that mistake. Lol!

I never stated foods are evil. I actually said in response to one person that if they can eat processed foods and still feel full and lose weight that I was jealous. I feel hungry on them and found whole foods help to keep me full longer. In most cases many forms of gluten, sugar and dairy are processed in one way or another (not all, but many found in stores).

That's the thing. Adherence is the most important thing. It's not that processed foods make you gain weight (or fail to lose weight); it's that processed foods make it so you cannot consistently adhere to your goal. It's eating too many calories that makes you fail to lose weight.

In other words, it's a self-control issue not a "bad food" issue.
  • eversosquidly
    eversosquidly Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I didn't give up gluten or dairy, but I don't usually eat them anyway. I think of my calories like money and prefer to spend them on things that will actually keep me feeling full. Like fruit and vegetables and especially protein. But I do understand the reasoning behind the sugar thing.

I gave up white refined sugar because it's a problem for me. I can't have one. I can't do it once a week. I would eat a box of popsicles and lie to my tracker and say I ate one. So instead of dealing with sugar, I cut it out of my diet. Today, I don't eat cheesecake or popsicles or any of the things I'd have eaten before. But I don't care if other people do! If you can eat ice cream every night and lose weight, more power to you! But there are some people that have trouble limiting themselves.

So yes, you can lose weight with restriction if you need to. I have. I've lost 57 pounds spread out since the end of May. With food control. Self-control. Water. Exercise.

Yes, it's about a calorie deficit. It always will be. But that caloric deficit can also be helped by not eating sugary things that lead to more sugary things! Whatever makes this journey easier for you, go for it! I have no regrets.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I wonder if there is some truth to this for certain body types, because ever since I cut out these 3 my entire life has changed. Healthwise and fitnesswise. I think this will probably piss people off touted as a magical mystery cure but for me, it was a huge step because it got me eating greens and fruit and my acid reflux stopped kicking my butt.

Same here. However, I consume sugar from fruit and vegetables. It isn't the sugar that is a problem for me. It's the combination of sugar + gluten + dairy, as in cupcakes, cookies, frosting, etc.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    **Meanwhile, in my fortress of evil**

I'm glad you've had success but the weight loss isn't purely because you cut those three things. It's because by eliminating those things from your diet, you created a calorie deficit.

How do you know she isn't eating the same amount of calories, just from different foods?

because OP claimed to lose weight..the only way to lose weight is to create a calorie deficit….its called math ...

^^^ Hmmm . . . not necessarily. When I was in my 20s and 30s, all I had to do was watch my calories. I could eat what I wanted to and still lose weight as long as I stayed within my daily calorie allotment. Not anymore! For most 40+ year old women, it DOES matter where the calories come from. I stick to roughly 1400 to 1800 calories a day (depending on how much exercise I get) and I can tell you without a doubt that if I eat processed/prepackaged/fast foods and stick to within my calorie limit, I will not lose a thing. However, if I eat whole foods (vegetables, lean proteins, good fats like avocados, raw nut butters, etc.) I will lose the weight eating the same amount of calories. How do I know this? Three years ago, I spent 7 months gaining and losing the same 4 pounds although I was exercising and keeping within my calorie limit. It wasn't until I kicked the processed carbs and sugars to the curb that I began to lose weight. I am now 60+ pounds down and have kept it off for almost two years. I went on a cruise in March of 2012 and was very strict about portion control. I didn't go hog-wild not one meal the entire 7 days, drank LOTS of water, and did LOTS of walking, swimming, etc. When I got home, I was 9.5 pounds up on the scale. I can tell you emphatically that it MATTERS where my calories come from. 1400 calories of processed food will NOT allow me to lose weight, period!

Not so much, my dear. It's because your metabolism decreases as you age and your muscle mass decreases, so you need fewer calories. You must lower your calorie intake to maintain your weight because your caloric needs decrease. Your BMR at 20 is a lot higher than your BMR at 40.

Also if you gained 9.5 pounds in one week, much of it was water weight. Not likely that you ate 33,250 extra calories in that one week.

The point I am trying to make is that one viewpoint--if you eat at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight--does NOT work for everyone. I KNOW what works for my body and what doesn't. I'm sure if the OP said she had to cut out processed carbs, sugars, gluten, etc. and that was what it took to lose the weight, then I believe her because that is EXACTLY what it took for me. BTW, yes the 9.5 pounds was water weight and it was gone by the next week. However, it was gone ONLY because I got back to my strict eating regimen the very next day after returning home. Had I begun eating the processed foods (even staying within my allotted calories), I never would have gotten it off. I MIGHT would have lost a couple pounds, but definitely would not have lost all of it. I know my body well and have learned to pay close attention to what works and what doesn't.

by your logic I could then eat in a calorie surplus and lose weight.

Please point me to studies of these magical people that eat in a TRUE calorie deficit and do not lose weight.

what if a person can't maintain a deficit because their the fluctuation in blood sugar causes them to bing, you throw "true calorie deficit" out there like its easy to maintain. Some people have more trouble staying in deficit, and FOR ME some of the nutrients mentioned here affect my ability to maintain a deficit... If you maintain a deficit you will lose fat, but some foods may make it hard or nearly impossible to maintain deficit.

if you binge to a point where you are in a calorie surplus, then you would no longer be in a deficit and would not lose weight..

If you need to avoid certain foods for personal self control issues, then by all means do so ..however, that does not make them "evil"….
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

I wasn't attacking you, at all. I was speaking in general terms regarding MFP, itself. I was clarifying MY stance that, while I do cut back on simple carbs, to achieve a deficit, it's not due to the belief that I think carbs are the devil. They're just easy for me to cut back on.
  • teresalevite
    teresalevite Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    [

Thank you. Well said! :D
  • otillie03103
    Options

That's the thing. Adherence is the most important thing. It's not that processed foods make you gain weight (or fail to lose weight); it's that processed foods make it so you cannot consistently adhere to your goal. It's eating too many calories that makes you fail to lose weight.

In my previous posts I mentioned that I kept within my calorie goals eating more processed foods and still didn't lose weight. I never once said I ate more calories then I was allowed, I said I was hungry all the time eating them. I said I found the weight came off easier, keep in mind for me, I am talking about me only here, when I ate whole foods and it was easier because I felt more satisfied. Just a statement as to what worked for me.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    In my previous posts I mentioned that I kept within my calorie goals eating more processed foods and still didn't lose weight. I never once said I ate more calories then I was allowed, I said I was hungry all the time eating them. I said I found the weight came off easier, keep in mine for me, I am talking about me only here, when I ate whole foods and it was easier because I felt more satisfied. Just a statement as to what worked for me.

This is unlikely to the point of being essentially impossible. Chances are you were simply eating more than you thought, which is extremely common.
  • ndj1979
    Options

so when your premise falls apart you resort to name calling…legit...
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

In my previous posts I mentioned that I kept within my calorie goals eating more processed foods and still didn't lose weight. I never once said I ate more calories then I was allowed, I said I was hungry all the time eating them. I said I found the weight came off easier, keep in mind for me, I am talking about me only here, when I ate whole foods and it was easier because I felt more satisfied. Just a statement as to what worked for me.

It's likely that the whole food kept you satisfied so you ate less and were better able to keep to your calorie deficit. And when you were eating the processed foods you might have been mindlessly eating without carefully tracking exactly how much you were eating by weight and have underestimated the calories you were consuming (which does happen failry commonly, even to the most careful among us).
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    Wow great job OP. You should eat what works for you and don't if some thing doesn't. I was one of those folks who thought counting calories and exercising was enough to maintain weight. I never really had weight problems in my entire life. That changed when I hit 34-35 year mark, I would get hungry after couple of hours eating the same diet I had for years. I later found out that I developed insulin resistance despite having normal blood glucose levels. My doctor said everything was normal, but I felt hungry and got around by eating 6 small meals a day. Turns out my BG level was spiking high and low after eating a whole wheat sandwich. I cut most of the grains and all sugar (except raw unfiltered honey) but still eat dairy. My diet is lots of veggies, limited amount of fruits, eggs , fish or meat once a day. I am not hungry and don't snack that much.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    What a bunch of babies. Someone shares her success story, but it's not how YOU choose to lose weight so you attack her and her methods? Such nasty, childish people here.

Good for you OP! It's awesome to find a plan that works for you!

We "nasty, childish babies" are actually being kind to new people who are just joining and are inundated by misinformation about "evil" foods.

No one attacked anyone personally or stooped to name calling until you posted.
  • otillie03103
    Options
    In my previous posts I mentioned that I kept within my calorie goals eating more processed foods and still didn't lose weight. I never once said I ate more calories then I was allowed, I said I was hungry all the time eating them. I said I found the weight came off easier, keep in mine for me, I am talking about me only here, when I ate whole foods and it was easier because I felt more satisfied. Just a statement as to what worked for me.

This is unlikely to the point of being essentially impossible. Chances are you were simply eating more than you thought, which is extremely common.

I logged everything I ate. I measured everything. How did I eat more then I thought? I am not the only person on this thread who has stated the same thing. So we are all wrong? If I did do something wrong, please explain it to me and if it makes sense to me then so be it.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I didn't give up gluten or dairy, but I don't usually eat them anyway. I think of my calories like money and prefer to spend them on things that will actually keep me feeling full. Like fruit and vegetables and especially protein. But I do understand the reasoning behind the sugar thing.

I gave up white refined sugar because it's a problem for me. I can't have one. I can't do it once a week. I would eat a box of popsicles and lie to my tracker and say I ate one. So instead of dealing with sugar, I cut it out of my diet. Today, I don't eat cheesecake or popsicles or any of the things I'd have eaten before. But I don't care if other people do! If you can eat ice cream every night and lose weight, more power to you! But there are some people that have trouble limiting themselves.

So yes, you can lose weight with restriction if you need to. I have. I've lost 57 pounds spread out since the end of May. With food control. Self-control. Water. Exercise.

Yes, it's about a calorie deficit. It always will be. But that caloric deficit can also be helped by not eating sugary things that lead to more sugary things! Whatever makes this journey easier for you, go for it! I have no regrets.

just to clarify …you eat zero sugar..?? No carbs, fruits, vegetables, etc?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!