Gluten. Dairy. Sugar.

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I understand the weight part, but if I am measuring the same way I did before, then what explains the weight loss with the whole foods if I am measuring out the same number of calories I ate before. I am using the same measuring method, so the type of food has nothing to do with it.

You asked for an explanation. I gave you one a few posts back. Did you even read it?

Yes I read it, you said if I weighed I would be eating less food. My point is I didn't change how I measure, just the type of food, I am still eating the same amount of calories from my measurements. If all I did was change the type of food, then the measuring is not the whole equation for me. The type of food works for me. I will definitely look into a scale, but I am meausring the same way I did before, eating the same number of calories I measured before and losing now when I didn't before.

you do not use a food scale? That is your problem right there….
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Wow! I came here for a little encouragement in my journey. The first thread I look at is in the 'Success Stories' forum and what do I see? Well, if I say 'vicious attacks', many will get defensive and direct those comments toward me, whether I was referring to them or not. Anyway. I see this thread as rather sad.

To the original poster, you know your body. If those foods were hurting you, and obviously they were, you made a good choice. I, too, have eliminated gluten, dairy (mostly), and process/refined sugar/honey/etc. from my diet. I am gluten and lactose intolerant and diabetic. I haven't lost weight but am holding steady and feel better than I have in years. It's just a matter of time till I'm able to exercise more and the pounds will start dropping. Thank you to the original poster for the reminder that weight loss is possible I was beginning to doubt.

Yeah, that's MFP, in a nutshell. This is a hot button topic for MFP'ers. There are others, as well (eating below 1200 calories/day comes to mind).

Stick around, you CAN find supportive people here, too.

so whenver someone posts something that is not accurate we are all just supposed to jump on the bandwagon and say "hooray, great job OP!" even if we know the reasoning/logic behind said post is wrong?

Look people are going to come in here and think that this is a plan for long term success which it is not …so if we are not being "supportive' for blindly supporting every "sugar is the devil" post, then sure, whatever...

Nope, but there's a non-douchie way of correcting people, ndj. :wink:

so when your premise falls apart you resort to name calling…legit...

Way to make this about YOU, but if the shoe fits...

you were replying to my comment…so you obviously felt the need to start something…

Yes, I was replying to your comment. No, I was not calling YOU a douche. I was, again, speaking in general terms. If you correct people without being a douche, then I don't see why you'd take offense to the comment, unless, of course, you feel that you're guilty of the same offense?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I already stated that I satyed within my calroie budget and people keep saying I kept going over it. I am using the same measduring methods I did then and am losing more weight on whole foods. It works for me. I'm sticking to it. You stick yto what works for you.

You stated that you stayed within your calorie budget, but it's obvious that either you actually didn't stay within your calorie budget, or the amount of calories you budgeted was for some reason in error.

I am making the claim that if you open your diary and show us the time period where you ate processed food and stayed within a calorie deficit yet failed to lose weight, we could identify where the error was.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    Wow! I came here for a little encouragement in my journey. The first thread I look at is in the 'Success Stories' forum and what do I see? Well, if I say 'vicious attacks', many will get defensive and direct those comments toward me, whether I was referring to them or not. Anyway. I see this thread as rather sad.

To the original poster, you know your body. If those foods were hurting you, and obviously they were, you made a good choice. I, too, have eliminated gluten, dairy (mostly), and process/refined sugar/honey/etc. from my diet. I am gluten and lactose intolerant and diabetic. I haven't lost weight but am holding steady and feel better than I have in years. It's just a matter of time till I'm able to exercise more and the pounds will start dropping. Thank you to the original poster for the reminder that weight loss is possible I was beginning to doubt.

Yeah, that's MFP, in a nutshell. This is a hot button topic for MFP'ers. There are others, as well (eating below 1200 calories/day comes to mind).

Stick around, you CAN find supportive people here, too.

so whenver someone posts something that is not accurate we are all just supposed to jump on the bandwagon and say "hooray, great job OP!" even if we know the reasoning/logic behind said post is wrong?

Look people are going to come in here and think that this is a plan for long term success which it is not …so if we are not being "supportive' for blindly supporting every "sugar is the devil" post, then sure, whatever...

Nope, but there's a non-douchie way of correcting people, ndj. :wink:

so when your premise falls apart you resort to name calling…legit...

Sensitive much? No one called you any names.

calling someone a douche is not name calling? What, pray tell, is it?

there are some things I could say about the person that said that, but I will take the high road….

Saying "hey, you're a douche"
    "Hey you, *kitten*"
    "Mr. Douchetastic, pass me that stapler"

is calling someone a douche.

Lol!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    "Hey you, *kitten*"

Implying someone is a douche is no different than blatantly calling someone a douche, just as implying someone is a b!tch is no different than calling someone a b!tch. There are nicer ways to say things.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    "That lollipop made me fat"
    "I hate lollipops"

"I like lollipops, I lost weight licking them."

"Shush you non - supportive weight losing mutant!"

O.o
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I will definitely look into a scale

Boom. Identified the error.

If you are not weighing your food, then the bottom line is that you simply do not know how many calories you were eating. If you were not losing weight, you were eating too many calories.
  • LazerMole
    LazerMole Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    "Hey you, *kitten*"

Saying "Hey, you're being kind of douchie" is not calling someone a douche.

I've acted douchie from time to time - does that mean I'm a douche? Nope.

Everyone has moments where they come across as overly aggressive and condescending. Let's try not to do that, since it puts people off.

A lot of posters are being *technically correct* in what they're saying - but they're being really condescending and aggressive in a fashion that pretty much comes across as them saying "Hey, idiot, you're WRONG."

That's not really the best approach if you truly want to reach people.

Time and again, positive reinforcement has been shown to be more effective in encouraging people to maintain healthy choices.

Maybe instead of coming across as: "You're an idiot - it's not those foods that are the problem, it's your caloric deficit", maybe something along the lines of "It's great that cutting out those foods has helped you! I know some people don't have the same issues, and it's simply a matter of cutting out the foods that tend to cause overeating/inflammation/water retention issues!"
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am on a detox right now which eliminates gluten (I was already not eating gluten), sugar, dairy, alcohol, caffeine, soy. All of these foods cause inflammation and don't allow the body to heal from the inside. I have lost 8 lbs already. They say it helps prevent the accumulation of cholesterol in arteries as well. I am vegetarian (mostly vegan, still eat cage free, organic eggs from a local farm in my state) and honestly believe that a plant based diet is the healthiest and most humane way to live.

From what are you healing? Excess protein?

I can understand choosing a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle on the basis of ethics, but not from a basis of nutrition.
  • jeardawg
    jeardawg Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I will definitely look into a scale

Boom. Identified the error.

If you are not weighing your food, then the bottom line is that you simply do not know how many calories you were eating. If you were not losing weight, you were eating too many calories.
    I weigh my food religiously , still agree with OP
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    "Hey you, *kitten*"

Saying "Hey, you're being kind of douchie" is not calling someone a douche.

I've acted douchie from time to time - does that mean I'm a douche? Nope.

Everyone has moments where they come across as overly aggressive and condescending. Let's try not to do that, since it puts people off.

A lot of posters are being *technically correct* in what they're saying - but they're being really condescending and aggressive in a fashion that pretty much comes across as them saying "Hey, idiot, you're WRONG."

That's not really the best approach if you truly want to reach people.

Time and again, positive reinforcement has been shown to be more effective in encouraging people to maintain healthy choices.

Maybe instead of coming across as: "You're an idiot - it's not those foods that are the problem, it's your caloric deficit", maybe something along the lines of "It's great that cutting out those foods has helped you! I know some people don't have the same issues, and it's simply a matter of cutting out the foods that tend to cause overeating or inflammation issues!"

^^Agreed.
  • otillie03103
    otillie03103 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I understand the weight part, but if I am measuring the same way I did before, then what explains the weight loss with the whole foods if I am measuring out the same number of calories I ate before. I am using the same measuring method, so the type of food has nothing to do with it.

You asked for an explanation. I gave you one a few posts back. Did you even read it?

Yes I read it, you said if I weighed I would be eating less food. My point is I didn't change how I measure, just the type of food, I am still eating the same amount of calories from my measurements. If all I did was change the type of food, then the measuring is not the whole equation for me. The type of food works for me. I will definitely look into a scale, but I am meausring the same way I did before, eating the same number of calories I measured before and losing now when I didn't before.

sigh.

Double sigh. I said I changed one thing, and you're saying the reason I wasn't losing is something else. You said I must be eating less because I am more satisfied. I said I ate the same amount of calories (which with whole foods I find I get to eat more food) which makes your response a moot point. If I didn't change how I measured or the amount of calories (meauring the same way), then just measuring is not the issue. Your response does not explain why the change in type of food when I am eating the same amount of calories equaled more weight loss for me.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    "Hey you, *kitten*"

Implying someone is a douche is no different than blatantly calling someone a douche, just as implying someone is a b!tch is no different than calling someone a b!tch. There are nicer ways to say things.

Sure there are, but then everyone will start complaining about people being butt hurt about things. I thought if you couldn't take the heat, you needed to stay out of the mfp boards? lolol. Everyone always laughs at the "meanie" posts until someone actually says something THEY don't like. Then it's not ok?

Alright.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    "Hey you, *kitten*"

I got a strike one time for saying someone's comment was "rather douchey." So there's that...
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    In my previous posts I mentioned that I kept within my calorie goals eating more processed foods and still didn't lose weight. I never once said I ate more calories then I was allowed, I said I was hungry all the time eating them. I said I found the weight came off easier, keep in mine for me, I am talking about me only here, when I ate whole foods and it was easier because I felt more satisfied. Just a statement as to what worked for me.

This is unlikely to the point of being essentially impossible. Chances are you were simply eating more than you thought, which is extremely common.

Exactly, the margin of error in the food industry is 20% so you could have been eating as much as 20% more than you thought if you were going by the box and not weighing. Even then the ingredients can still have that margin of error. That is the inherent problem with processed foods.

A couple of other points. I ate an anti-inflammatory diet several years ago and I lost a lot of weight but it wasn't sustainable. I lost weight because I created a calorie deficit, not because I cut out gluten, dairy and processed sugar. It was because I was no longer eating entire large pizzas night after night, I was cooking lean proteins and vegetables, eating lots of salads, and fruits. I won't deny that I felt better but I also feel amazing now eating everything in moderation. I don't eat a lot of boxed foods but I'm on a really tight budget too. And I'm a lot more active so I think that's why I feel so much better. I get chronic migraines and I do have some trigger foods so I avoid those.

I'm really happy that eliminating those foods works for you and you can sustain that way of eating but not many people can and the whole point of MFP is to find something that is sustainable and will work for each individual person. Labeling foods as good or evil is confusing to new members and those trying different things and are do not have access to the resources you do as a RN.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    "Hey you, *kitten*"

I didn't imply that. He chose to make the comment about himself. I actually wasn't calling HIM a douche, at all.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    "Hey you, *kitten*"

Sure there are, but then everyone will start complaining about people being butt hurt about things. I thought if you couldn't take the heat, you needed to stay out of the mfp boards? lolol. Everyone always laughs at the "meanie" posts until someone actually says something THEY don't like. Then it's not ok?

Alright.

^^Yup.
  • jonnythan
    Options

sigh.

Double sigh. I said I changed one thing, and you're saying the reason I wasn't losing is something else. You said I must be eating less because I am more satisfied. I said I ate the same amount of calories (which with whole foods I find I get to eat more food) which makes your response a moot point. If I didn't change how I measured or the amount of calories (meauring the same way), then just measuring is not the issue. Your response does not explain why the change in type of food when I am eating the same amount of calories equaled more weight loss for me.

You were not weighing food and therefore by definition do not actually know how many calories you were consuming.

You can therefore make no comments concerning how many calories you were eating. Because you do not know.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    "Hey you, *kitten*"

I got a strike one time for saying someone's comment was "rather douchey." So there's that...

I think I already have two strikes..so I am sitting this one out…
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    "Hey you, *kitten*"

Noted. I'll try to be more articulate about my criticism of undesirable behavior, in the future.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!