Gluten. Dairy. Sugar.

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for the encouraging comments. I have pretty thick skin and will stick around. I'm happy for all the 'Calorie Deficient' posters that is simple math. For some of us (myself in the 'over 50' group) with 'issues', we feel like we need a slide rule calculator.

Oh, BTW, Gluten is not a 'Food Group'. It's a protein.

right, because as we get older we start to defy the basic laws of math and thermodynamics...
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    In my previous posts I mentioned that I kept within my calorie goals eating more processed foods and still didn't lose weight. I never once said I ate more calories then I was allowed, I said I was hungry all the time eating them. I said I found the weight came off easier, keep in mine for me, I am talking about me only here, when I ate whole foods and it was easier because I felt more satisfied. Just a statement as to what worked for me.

This is unlikely to the point of being essentially impossible. Chances are you were simply eating more than you thought, which is extremely common.

I logged everything I ate. I measured everything. How did I eat more then I thought? I am not the only person on this thread who has stated the same thing. So we are all wrong? If I did do something wrong, please explain it to me and if it makes sense to me then so be it.

I thought for a while I did too. In fact, I posted a thread yesterday about how essential a good food scale is. When I bought my new one I realized I was over 100 calories off just with my breakfast. And that was just one meal. And I'm pretty careful, and I underestimate my calories and don't eat my exercise calories all back. So I was still maintaining. Someone trying to lose weight who isn't carefully weighing every single solid food, and relying on measuring cups, will be off by hundreds of calories and will be eating at a surplus and not even know it. Also, people tend to overestimate calorie burn all the time. MFP does it. Gym machines do it.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Wow! I came here for a little encouragement in my journey. The first thread I look at is in the 'Success Stories' forum and what do I see? Well, if I say 'vicious attacks', many will get defensive and direct those comments toward me, whether I was referring to them or not. Anyway. I see this thread as rather sad.

To the original poster, you know your body. If those foods were hurting you, and obviously they were, you made a good choice. I, too, have eliminated gluten, dairy (mostly), and process/refined sugar/honey/etc. from my diet. I am gluten and lactose intolerant and diabetic. I haven't lost weight but am holding steady and feel better than I have in years. It's just a matter of time till I'm able to exercise more and the pounds will start dropping. Thank you to the original poster for the reminder that weight loss is possible I was beginning to doubt.

Yeah, that's MFP, in a nutshell. This is a hot button topic for MFP'ers. There are others, as well (eating below 1200 calories/day comes to mind).

Stick around, you CAN find supportive people here, too.

so whenver someone posts something that is not accurate we are all just supposed to jump on the bandwagon and say "hooray, great job OP!" even if we know the reasoning/logic behind said post is wrong?

Look people are going to come in here and think that this is a plan for long term success which it is not …so if we are not being "supportive' for blindly supporting every "sugar is the devil" post, then sure, whatever...

Nope, but there's a non-douchie way of correcting people, ndj. :wink:

so when your premise falls apart you resort to name calling…legit...

Sensitive much? No one called you any names.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I was not able to drop much weight until I quit these three evils. Then it came off fast, and without even exercising.
    30 lbs in two months, bam, gone!
    After years of struggling and sweating and counting calories, only this was truly effective.
    Have kept it off 6 months now too, it is not coming back. Try it.

Evils? Food isn't evil. Gluten, sugar, and dairy are staples in my diet!
  • otillie03103
    otillie03103 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Wow great job OP. You should eat what works for you and don't if some thing doesn't. I was one of those folks who thought counting calories and exercising was enough to maintain weight. I never really had weight problems in my entire life. That changed when I hit 34-35 year mark, I would get hungry after couple of hours eating the same diet I had for years. I later found out that I developed insulin resistance despite having normal blood glucose levels. My doctor said everything was normal, but I felt hungry and got around by eating 6 small meals a day. Turns out my BG level was spiking high and low after eating a whole wheat sandwich. I cut most of the grains and all sugar (except raw unfiltered honey) but still eat dairy. My diet is lots of veggies, limited amount of fruits, eggs , fish or meat once a day. I am not hungry and don't snack that much.

I too have insulin resistance (proven with blood work) and know exactly what you are talking about. I would feel extremely hungry, lightheaded, dizzy and nauseas shortly after eating.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    In my previous posts I mentioned that I kept within my calorie goals eating more processed foods and still didn't lose weight. I never once said I ate more calories then I was allowed, I said I was hungry all the time eating them. I said I found the weight came off easier, keep in mine for me, I am talking about me only here, when I ate whole foods and it was easier because I felt more satisfied. Just a statement as to what worked for me.

This is unlikely to the point of being essentially impossible. Chances are you were simply eating more than you thought, which is extremely common.

I logged everything I ate. I measured everything. How did I eat more then I thought? I am not the only person on this thread who has stated the same thing. So we are all wrong? If I did do something wrong, please explain it to me and if it makes sense to me then so be it.

I thought for a while I did too. In fact, I posted a thread yesterday about how essential a good food scale is. When I bought my new one I realized I was over 100 calories off just with my breakfast. And that was just one meal. And I'm pretty careful, and I underestimate my calories and don't eat my exercise calories all back. So I was still maintaining. Someone trying to lose weight who isn't carefully weighing every single solid food, and relying on measuring cups, will be off by hundreds of calories and will be eating at a surplus and not even know it. Also, people tend to overestimate calorie burn all the time. MFP does it. Gym machines do it.
    Exactly. Here's a great thread about it. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Probably through errors in measurement, frequent days going over limit, etc.

Your diary is closed so it's impossible for us to examine the claim critically. If you were to open your diary and identify the time periods in question for us to examine, I could tell you more specifically where you went wrong.
  • otillie03103
    Options
    Wow! I came here for a little encouragement in my journey. The first thread I look at is in the 'Success Stories' forum and what do I see? Well, if I say 'vicious attacks', many will get defensive and direct those comments toward me, whether I was referring to them or not. Anyway. I see this thread as rather sad.

To the original poster, you know your body. If those foods were hurting you, and obviously they were, you made a good choice. I, too, have eliminated gluten, dairy (mostly), and process/refined sugar/honey/etc. from my diet. I am gluten and lactose intolerant and diabetic. I haven't lost weight but am holding steady and feel better than I have in years. It's just a matter of time till I'm able to exercise more and the pounds will start dropping. Thank you to the original poster for the reminder that weight loss is possible I was beginning to doubt.

Yeah, that's MFP, in a nutshell. This is a hot button topic for MFP'ers. There are others, as well (eating below 1200 calories/day comes to mind).

That's what I was hoping for on here. I honestly think I may not bother with the boards at all as it seems you can't post your opinion without others telling you non stop that you are completely wrong. You post what worked for you and suddenly you are supposedly telling everyone they should eat the same way you do. Ugh. I thought maybe we could all share what works for us and use them as ideas to tailor our diets that work with our own tolerences. I'm going to stick to my own research and not look for ideas from people on message boards. You just end up getting bashed.

Well, the agreed upon basics (calories in v. calories out being the main one) are correct, but the way you achieve the deficit is your business. I personally achieve a deficit through eating fewer "simple carbs," but that's only because I have so few calories/day and know that "simple carbs" are "caloric fun extras" that don't stick with me as long as protein and veggies do. That's not to say carbs are evil; that's just how I cut calories. Someone else might cut back on desserts, or protein (if they're eating more than a serving and don't need the extra protein), while someone else might cut back on cheeses and sauces. It's what personally works for you. However, calling foods "evil" is not well tolerated here. Don't be the newbie that makes that mistake. Lol!

I never stated foods are evil. I actually said in response to one person that if they can eat processed foods and still feel full and lose weight that I was jealous. I feel hungry on them and found whole foods help to keep me full longer. In most cases many forms of gluten, sugar and dairy are processed in one way or another (not all, but many found in stores).

That's the thing. Adherence is the most important thing. It's not that processed foods make you gain weight (or fail to lose weight); it's that processed foods make it so you cannot consistently adhere to your goal. It's eating too many calories that makes you fail to lose weight.

In other words, it's a self-control issue not a "bad food" issue.

In my previous posts I mentioned that I kept within my calorie goals eating more processed foods and still didn't lose weight. I never once said I ate more calories then I was allowed, I said I was hungry all the time eating them. I said I found the weight came off easier, keep in mind for me, I am talking about me only here, when I ate whole foods and it was easier because I felt more satisfied. Just a statement as to what worked for me.

It's likely that the whole food kept you satisfied so you ate less and were better able to keep to your calorie deficit. And when you were eating the processed foods you might have been mindlessly eating without carefully tracking exactly how much you were eating by weight and have underestimated the calories you were consuming (which does happen failry commonly, even to the most careful among us).

I understand the weight part, but if I am measuring the same way I did before, then what explains the weight loss with the whole foods if I am measuring out the same number of calories I ate before. I am using the same measuring method, so the way I am measuring can't be it.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    I understand the weight part, but if I am measuring the same way I did before, then what explains the weight loss with the whole foods if I am measuring out the same number of calories I ate before. I am using the same measuring method, so the type of food has nothing to do with it.

You asked for an explanation. I gave you one a few posts back. Did you even read it?
  • ndj1979
    Options

so whenver someone posts something that is not accurate we are all just supposed to jump on the bandwagon and say "hooray, great job OP!" even if we know the reasoning/logic behind said post is wrong?

Look people are going to come in here and think that this is a plan for long term success which it is not …so if we are not being "supportive' for blindly supporting every "sugar is the devil" post, then sure, whatever...

calling someone a douche is not name calling? What, pray tell, is it?

there are some things I could say about the person that said that, but I will take the high road….
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

Way to make this about YOU, but if the shoe fits...
  • otillie03103
    Options

Your diary is closed so it's impossible for us to examine the claim critically. If you were to open your diary and identify the time periods in question for us to examine, I could tell you more specifically where you went wrong.

I already stated that I satyed within my calroie budget and people keep saying I kept going over it. I am using the same measduring methods I did then and am losing more weight on whole foods. It works for me. I'm sticking to it. You stick yto what works for you.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

^^This.
  • otillie03103
    Options

there are some things I could say about the person that said that, but I will take the high road….

She didn't call anyone a douche, she said they responded in a douchie manner. Just like we all have moments where we could have been nicer, but doesn't mean we are a jerk overall.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Way to make this about YOU, but if the shoe fits...

you were replying to my comment…so you obviously felt the need to start something…
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

Saying "hey, you're a douche"
    "Hey you, *kitten*"
    "Mr. Douchetastic, pass me that stapler"

is calling someone a douche.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I already stated that I satyed within my calroie budget and people keep saying I kept going over it. I am using the same measduring methods I did then and am losing more weight on whole foods. It works for me. I'm sticking to it. You stick yto what works for you.

read this.http://i.imgur.com/LfVRFd1.png

most people have about a +/-47% error in calorie logging and over/under estimate calorie burns by +/-75% …
  • otillie03103
    Options
    I understand the weight part, but if I am measuring the same way I did before, then what explains the weight loss with the whole foods if I am measuring out the same number of calories I ate before. I am using the same measuring method, so the type of food has nothing to do with it.

You asked for an explanation. I gave you one a few posts back. Did you even read it?

Yes I read it, you said if I weighed I would be eating less food. My point is I didn't change how I measure, just the type of food, I am still eating the same amount of calories from my measurements. If all I did was change the type of food, then the measuring is not the whole equation for me. The type of food works for me. I will definitely look into a scale, but I am meausring the same way I did before, eating the same number of calories I measured before and losing now when I didn't before.
  • jeardawg
    jeardawg Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I like dairy, it doesn't really affect me poorly.

Most simple sugars really don't fit into my calorie allowance for the day, so I don't really include them regularly.

Gluten makes me physically ill, and when I eat it my appetite floats out of control, as well as some weird mood swings for several days after. I avoid it all all costs. I have pretty good self control and often have to eat to get anywhere near my calorie limit (when not on gluten and simple sugars)

I agree with the OP and while I suspect many won't need to avoid what I avoid I think there are different strokes for every folks, OP I hope that your outlook works for you, it really sounds like you are listening to what your body is telling you. I hope you find a lifestyle that is healthy for you and works best.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Yes I read it, you said if I weighed I would be eating less food. My point is I didn't change how I measure, just the type of food, I am still eating the same amount of calories from my measurements. If all I did was change the type of food, then the measuring is not the whole equation for me. The type of food works for me. I will definitely look into a scale, but I am meausring the same way I did before, eating the same number of calories I measured before and losing now when I didn't before.

sigh.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!