Gluten. Dairy. Sugar.

Options

Replies

• otillie03103
    otillie03103 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am on a detox right now which eliminates gluten (I was already not eating gluten), sugar, dairy, alcohol, caffeine, soy. All of these foods cause inflammation and don't allow the body to heal from the inside. I have lost 8 lbs already. They say it helps prevent the accumulation of cholesterol in arteries as well. I am vegetarian (mostly vegan, still eat cage free, organic eggs from a local farm in my state) and honestly believe that a plant based diet is the healthiest and most humane way to live.

so you eat zero sugar…no carbs, fruit, etc, right?

The only fruit I am allowed to have on this diet are minimal berries, green apples and citrus fruits. So it's more about processed sugars and eliminating high sugar content fruits. Besides those allowed items, I do not eat any sugar.

Kinda skipped the carbs question there.

I never said I eliminated carbs which is why I skipped it. I eat brown rice, quinoa and gluten free pasta minimally. I specified above it's more about processed sugars.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    If you deprive yourself of foods that you normally and regularly eat, chances are you will have a calorie deficit and lose.
    I'm not going to try this. I like to make pure gluten loaf on the weekends and if I cut out dairy I'll be cutting out my greek yogurt / oatmeal/ honey snack that helps me to meet my protein macro.
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you found something that works for you, and that you have been successful. :flowerforyou:

However, this type of eating would never work for me. I have tried it in the past and always ended up up on a massive binge. It wasn't until I learned moderation that I truly lost weight.

Food is not evil. It doesn't sit around in its little package dreaming up ways to make us fat. That is really my only problem with threads like this. Food is food. I am thrilled this works for you, but please don't villianize food.
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    **Meanwhile, in my fortress of evil**

I'm glad you've had success but the weight loss isn't purely because you cut those three things. It's because by eliminating those things from your diet, you created a calorie deficit.

How do you know she isn't eating the same amount of calories, just from different foods?

because OP claimed to lose weight..the only way to lose weight is to create a calorie deficit….its called math ...

^^^ Hmmm . . . not necessarily. When I was in my 20s and 30s, all I had to do was watch my calories. I could eat what I wanted to and still lose weight as long as I stayed within my daily calorie allotment. Not anymore! For most 40+ year old women, it DOES matter where the calories come from. I stick to roughly 1400 to 1800 calories a day (depending on how much exercise I get) and I can tell you without a doubt that if I eat processed/prepackaged/fast foods and stick to within my calorie limit, I will not lose a thing. However, if I eat whole foods (vegetables, lean proteins, good fats like avocados, raw nut butters, etc.) I will lose the weight eating the same amount of calories. How do I know this? Three years ago, I spent 7 months gaining and losing the same 4 pounds although I was exercising and keeping within my calorie limit. It wasn't until I kicked the processed carbs and sugars to the curb that I began to lose weight. I am now 60+ pounds down and have kept it off for almost two years. I went on a cruise in March of 2012 and was very strict about portion control. I didn't go hog-wild not one meal the entire 7 days, drank LOTS of water, and did LOTS of walking, swimming, etc. When I got home, I was 9.5 pounds up on the scale. I can tell you emphatically that it MATTERS where my calories come from. 1400 calories of processed food will NOT allow me to lose weight, period!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I am on a detox right now which eliminates gluten (I was already not eating gluten), sugar, dairy, alcohol, caffeine, soy. All of these foods cause inflammation and don't allow the body to heal from the inside. I have lost 8 lbs already. They say it helps prevent the accumulation of cholesterol in arteries as well. I am vegetarian (mostly vegan, still eat cage free, organic eggs from a local farm in my state) and honestly believe that a plant based diet is the healthiest and most humane way to live.

The only fruit I am allowed to have on this diet are minimal berries, green apples and citrus fruits. So it's more about processed sugars and eliminating high sugar content fruits. Besides those allowed items, I do not eat any sugar.

I never said I eliminated carbs which is why I skipped it. I eat brown rice, quinoa and gluten free pasta minimally.

Because you said yoy eliminated sugars. Carbs are converted into sugar in the body.
  • otillie03103
    otillie03103 Posts: 107 Member
    Options

I never said I eliminated carbs which is why I skipped it. I eat brown rice, quinoa and gluten free pasta minimally.

Because you said yoy eliminated sugars. Carbs are converted into sugar in the body.

I specified in my last response, processed sugars.
  • mccindy72
    Options

I'm glad you've had success but the weight loss isn't purely because you cut those three things. It's because by eliminating those things from your diet, you created a calorie deficit.

How do you know she isn't eating the same amount of calories, just from different foods?

because OP claimed to lose weight..the only way to lose weight is to create a calorie deficit….its called math ...

^^^ Hmmm . . . not necessarily. When I was in my 20s and 30s, all I had to do was watch my calories. I could eat what I wanted to and still lose weight as long as I stayed within my daily calorie allotment. Not anymore! For most 40+ year old women, it DOES matter where the calories come from. I stick to roughly 1400 to 1800 calories a day (depending on how much exercise I get) and I can tell you without a doubt that if I eat processed/prepackaged/fast foods and stick to within my calorie limit, I will not lose a thing. However, if I eat whole foods (vegetables, lean proteins, good fats like avocados, raw nut butters, etc.) I will lose the weight eating the same amount of calories. How do I know this? Three years ago, I spent 7 months gaining and losing the same 4 pounds although I was exercising and keeping within my calorie limit. It wasn't until I kicked the processed carbs and sugars to the curb that I began to lose weight. I am now 60+ pounds down and have kept it off for almost two years. I went on a cruise in March of 2012 and was very strict about portion control. I didn't go hog-wild not one meal the entire 7 days, drank LOTS of water, and did LOTS of walking, swimming, etc. When I got home, I was 9.5 pounds up on the scale. I can tell you emphatically that it MATTERS where my calories come from. 1400 calories of processed food will NOT allow me to lose weight, period!

Not so much, my dear. It's because your metabolism decreases as you age and your muscle mass decreases, so you need fewer calories. You must lower your calorie intake to maintain your weight because your caloric needs decrease. Your BMR at 20 is a lot higher than your BMR at 40.

Also if you gained 9.5 pounds in one week, much of it was water weight. Not likely that you ate 33,250 extra calories in that one week.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I find that not eating processed foods isn't really the trick... it's what happens as a result of that decision.
    1) You cook more
    2) You make healthier choices because you HAVE to
    3) You don't overindulge in sweets/foods without nutritional value.

Restrictive food lifestyles make you re-evaluate how you eat and WHY you eat.... there is NOTHING inherently evil about gluten, dairy or sugar. ;)
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I wonder if there is some truth to this for certain body types, because ever since I cut out these 3 my entire life has changed. Healthwise and fitnesswise. I think this will probably piss people off touted as a magical mystery cure but for me, it was a huge step because it got me eating greens and fruit and my acid reflux stopped kicking my butt.

if you eat greens and fruit you are still eating "evil sugar" so you have not eliminated sugar..

you have just massively restricted your intake to a point where you have created a calorie deficit…
    Thank you. It's helpful for folks to get this reminder, even if it spins the discussion in the direction of 'processed sugar vs natural sugar.'
  • mccindy72
    Options
    I find that not eating processed foods isn't really the trick... it's what happens as a result of that decision.
    1) You cook more

Restrictive food lifestyles make you re-evaluate how you eat and WHY you eat.... there is NOTHING inherently evil about gluten, dairy or sugar. ;)

+10
  • rmchan
    rmchan Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Could you give me some examples of what you eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner? A doctor friend of mine who does compounding harmones, etc.. suggested this to me. Thanks and congratulations.
  • jeardawg
    jeardawg Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit = Weight loss....this is true, but it is not that simple, some foods react within the body differently. Some foods are conducive to maintaining said deficit.
    If you eat dense calories or high sugars you will have an insulin spike and then feel sluggish and likely hungry very quickly. Some foods while high in calories are effective because small amounts burn for a long time. (peanut butter) people here like to tout simple concepts like eat less lose more. But if we are all here to help each other then we should entertain that there are pitfalls to weight control and healthy eating and that telling someone that they can technically eat half a chocolate cake for breakfast and nothing else all day and still lose weight, but no experienced mfp'er would likely do that, because it is not sustainable.

I cut gluten out and lost like 30 lbs in like a month as well. Maybe I am celiac, don't know. Without gluten I feel great, no bloating, no headaches. I seriously doubt that the weight was fat loss. But now Gluten makes me ill. Will this happen for everyone, I don't know. Is it a fact, nope, just my experience. Part of being on this sight is to encourage and share with one another. To many people here choose their sides on this website and forget the simple concept of different strokes for different folks.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

I'm glad you've had success but the weight loss isn't purely because you cut those three things. It's because by eliminating those things from your diet, you created a calorie deficit. I wish you the best but have no intention of ever giving up these things. Especially the dairy...ice cream.... Also, 30 lbs in 2 months seems ridiculous and not healthy for most people, so...

Not always true. I cut those same things, and replaced it with other whole food calories. I did NOT create a larger calorie deficit. And I'm losing weight...

These threads boil my blood b/c there are so few people out there who give inflammation reduction any credit for weight loss. I had one HELL of a deficit going - eating 1500 calories a day, watching macros, working out a minimum of an hour a day, strength training.. I can count on ONE HAND the number of pounds I lost in TWO YEARS doing that. I cut gluten, I cut sugar and I cut dairy and 55 lbs fell off in a matter of 8 months. Fast forward to the holidays, reintroduce dairy, sugar and gluten, 26 lbs climb onto my frame in only 2 months, counting out the same number of calories and working out just as much as I did when the 55 lbs fell off. Fast forward again to January 6, when I again cut gluten, dairy and sugar... 9 lbs gone in a month. Same 2000 calorie diet. Same run schedule. Nothing changed but the food...

If all else stays the same, calorie deficit, workouts, sleep, etc, with only changing the types of food I put in my body, and the weight falls off, I'm inclined to believe it's the type of food that matters.

Your diary shows you eating between 1200 and 1400 calories. Not 2000 calories. And missed days logging.

You are losing weight because you have a significant deficit going on the days that you logged. Your habit on not logging regularly is probably what got you during the holidays, not because you decided to eat (too much) of foods with gluten, dairy and sugar in them.

Yes, the last two days I have eaten less - just not hungry. Check back to last week.

I use a notebook to log my foods. I enter them here when I have time...

Additionally, I am METICULOUS about weighing, measuring and reporting even SPICES in my recipes. You don't know JACK about what I do or how I log so how can you make these claims?

meticulous about weighing, measuring, and reporting but diary has incomplete logging….sounds legit...
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I haven't completely eliminated all of these things from my diet - I don't feel it is sustainable in the long run for my lifestyle (I'm a professional student) but by significantly limiting my intake, I've seen great progress as well!

It's pretty clear to me from my own research that our diet should be plant-based - that doesn't mean I won't indulge in a cheeseburger every now and then but I'm trying to incorporate way more fruits, veggies, and unprocessed grains, seeds, and legumes into my diet as possible. It took me a while to get here but I have the most energy I've had in a while, all things considered.

Good luck to you! It's a hard transition - these items truly do have addictive effects in the body so it's natural that anyone would hate the suggestion to eliminate them. Do what you can and do what makes your body feel good.

I totally agree with this. Whenever I try to completely eliminate things it doesn't work for me. I don't eat meat but pretty much everything else is a bit picture type of thing so long as it's sustainably/organically produced.
  • jeardawg
    jeardawg Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    1) You cook more

+10
    Maybe not for you, but that statement might not be true for everyone.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you found something that works for you, and that you have been successful. :flowerforyou:

However, this type of eating would never work for me. I have tried it in the past and always ended up up on a massive binge. It wasn't until I learned moderation that I truly lost weight.

Food is not evil. It doesn't sit around in its little package dreaming up ways to make us fat. That is really my only problem with threads like this. Food is food. I am thrilled this works for you, but please don't villianize food.

Agree with first & 3rd... (I haven't tried this diet stuff)

"Evil"... Muahahaha!
  • Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Depends on each person. Those foods are fine for most people who are fit/healthy and have no hormone issues. For someone who is extremely overweight or even overweight, chances are they will have better success avoiding those types of food.
  • dzahner3
    dzahner3 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Great job OP! Do what works for you.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

Yep. And 45 years old here. 127lbs lost in a year and a half, eliminating nothing.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Depends on each person. Those foods are fine for person who is fit/healthy. For someone who is extremely overweight or even overweight, they will have better success avoiding those types of food.

I would respectfully disagree. For long-term success, someone who is overweight, a person will have greater long-term success learning how to have a healthy relationship with all foods, eating in moderation. Being afraid of eating any kind of food (unless there is an allergy) is not healthy mentally. A lot of people fail when they try to eat a restrictive diet because they don't want to live the rest of their lives without eating food they enjoy. Learning to eat foods we like in moderation and still maintain healthy calorie counts leads to lifelong success.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!