Are heavy folks malnourished?

Options
13»

Replies

• mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I was malnourished !! High on sugars and starch and lacking my proteins which is why I packed on the pounds. I am home every day and never felt like taking time to cook just for me so I would grab crusty italian bread and a nice hot pepper & tomato and slather them with olive oil and that was lunch almost every day of the week.
  • Dugleik
    Dugleik Posts: 125
    Options
    Yeah, I heard that recently.

Thoughts?

Seems logical since we eat all sorts of what-have-you to get this way.

They can be.

From Wikipedia: "Malnutrition is the condition that results from eating a diet in which certain nutrients are lacking, in excess (too high in intake), or in the wrong proportions."

So if your diet is lacking in certain nutrients, then you are malnourished.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Thoughts?

They can be.

From Wikipedia: "Malnutrition is the condition that results from eating a diet in which certain nutrients are lacking, in excess (too high in intake), or in the wrong proportions."

Would they not HAVE to be using that definition?
  • Dugleik
    Options

Thoughts?

They can be.

I have no idea what your trying to say. Are you trying to say that they are using a different definition of malnutrition? In that case what would that alternate definition be?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Thoughts?

They can be.

I have no idea what your trying to say. Are you trying to say that they are using a different definition of malnutrition? In that case what would that alternate definition be?

No, I am saying that you posted the definition from Wiki and said "They can be" malnourished.

I'm saying, going off of the definition you posted, doesn't it say that "They HAVE to be" rather than "can" be?

Your definition says "Malnutrition is the condition that results from eating a diet in which certain nutrients are lacking, in excess (too high in intake), or in the wrong proportions."

I have bolded the portion that basically says if you are overweight, you are malnourished.
  • Dugleik
    Options

Thoughts?

They can be.

No, I am saying that you posted the definition from Wiki and said "They can be" malnourished.

I'm saying, going off of the definition you posted, doesn't it say that "They HAVE to be" rather than "can" be?

Your definition says "Malnutrition is the condition that results from eating a diet in which certain nutrients are lacking, in excess (too high in intake), or in the wrong proportions."

I have bolded the portion that basically says if you are overweight, you are malnourished.

Oh! I understand now. Sorry, English is not my first language.

In my opinion, and have in mind that I am not educated on the subject, I don't think heavy folks have to be malnourished. If you get all your nutrients and your body is processing it right, being heavy doesn't mean there is something wrong with you, it just means you are, you know, heavy.