Lifting weights dilemma

Options

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    5'-4" @ 110lbs... Sounds a little light to me. I would think that it would be very thin...too thin. 5'-4" @ 120-125 sounds better and healthier IMO.

well, it's in OP's head how much she should weigh so everything else really doesn't matter as much...although we all mean well. :ohwell:
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for a bit now and haven't increased the size of my thighs. They look better, but they certainly haven't gotten bigger. I think the women you see with bigger thighs probably already had bigger thighs to begin with. I know I can do calf raises until the cows comes home and I'm going to be hard pressed to get bigger calves. Now, I have put bulk on my upper body, especially my lats, but not much--maybe an inch--and that's with three years of aerial training. My arms are slightly larger as well, but I had toothpick arms before. I've always been broad shouldered, now they're just defined shoulders. The thing is, as anyone knows who is actively trying to gain muscle, it's really hard to do.

Basically, if you aren't genetically programed to have large, muscle-y thighs, you're going to have a helluva time getting them. And any casual lifter probalby isn't going to get it. You have to work really hard for those muscles.

That being said, if you're that worried about it, don't do it.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I'm sure I will probably upset a few people by saying this, but if am nervous that if I keep lifting weights I will get bulky. I feel that everyone who says "no, you won't get bulky" actually is, especially in the upper thighs. I was very lean a few years ago (5'4 and 110), and I'd like to get back to that weight. I'm nervous that if I keep lifting weights I will get bulky and not achieve my desired physique that I know I am capable of. So my question is, how do I achieve it? I normally do yoga, but I'm not sure that will burn fat quickly enough for the time being. Any help is appreciated.

Perhaps it would be better to provide more information about what physique you're trying to achieve, instead of saying something negative about others' physiques?
  • mmillerdba
    Options
    So are you agreeing or disagreeing with my comment? I admit that I am not an authority on the subject, but this is what I have read from several people who are.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    You wont.

ETA: I have been lifting heavy for over a year and have yet to achieve this bulky look so many women fear.
  • albayin
    Options

That being said, if you're that worried about it, don't do it.

agreed. As much as there are obvious evidence on the health benefits of lifting heavy, it doesn't mean it's enough justification for someone who is concerned. OP can stick to running or walking and eating less to achieve her goals...
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Just keep your weights low and your repetitions high and you shouldn't get "bulky". Building "bulky" muscles generally requires that a) you lift weights A LOT, and b) that you lift heavy weights (generally in the 6-12 repetition range). Lifting lighter weights in the 15-20 repetition range will sculpt and tone your muscles, but you shouldn't get much more muscle mass.

WHY WON'T THIS MYTH DIE ALREADY?!

While the 6-12 range is generally considered the bodybuilding range, a powerlifting routine (which lifts heavier though in the 1-5 rep range) doesn't build bulk, not even in men.

Additionally, especially as a woman, you can't build muscle size accidentally. The people that do intentionally build muscle size (men and women, alike), do so with a very, very specific workout and diet, aimed specifically at doing that, and it still takes years of dedication.

Compare Staci's before and after shots and try saying she's in any way, shape, or form "bulky" - http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Her legs look awesome!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    So are you agreeing or disagreeing with my comment? I admit that I am not an authority on the subject, but this is what I have read from several people who are.

Well, I'm disagreeing with it. Many bodybuilders work in the 10-20 rep range. The smart ones (ie: Layne Norton) work in the lower ranges (3-6), too.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Thank you for understanding! I would rather be chubby than have bulky legs

Really. I pick muscles.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I'm sure I will probably upset a few people by saying this, but if am nervous that if I keep lifting weights I will get bulky. I feel that everyone who says "no, you won't get bulky" actually is, especially in the upper thighs. I was very lean a few years ago (5'4 and 110), and I'd like to get back to that weight. I'm nervous that if I keep lifting weights I will get bulky and not achieve my desired physique that I know I am capable of. So my question is, how do I achieve it? I normally do yoga, but I'm not sure that will burn fat quickly enough for the time being. Any help is appreciated.

women who are bulky are intentionally so...it doesn't happen by accident...you don't just start picking up some weights and working out a few times per week and suddenly bulk up. Bulking is a deliberate action...it requires a surplus of calories for one thing so it aint happening when you're on a diet. It also requires a lot of attention to detail in RE to hitting proper macros, especially protein and getting enough carbs to allow the protein to be used for muscle synthesis rather than energy.

I would also add that women who tend to have bulky thighs or just are bulky in general...they tend to be genetically that way. Petite little things don't get "bulky" just like small framed guys don't really get bulky. My wife can never be petite...she has is naturally "bulky" (but lean) even if she doesn't lift...that's the way she is built. Those muscles just pop more when she lifts and eats right. Same pretty much for guys...genetics plays a huge roll

Again, enough with this nonsense...you don't just accidentally bulk on a bunch of muscle. If you did, pretty much every guy in the weight room would be jacked like Arnie.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Thank you for understanding! I would rather be chubby than have bulky legs

Really. I pick muscles.

Me too. And since lifting weights I have firm, shapely 19.5 inch thighs, instead of 21 inches (with a little extra fluff).
  • albayin
    Options

Well, I'm disagreeing with it. Many bodybuilders work in the 10-20 rep range. The smart ones (ie: Layne Norton) work in the lower ranges (3-6), too.

I am not expert but from my own experience, both methods serve a purpose to train our muscles in different angles...one for growth, the other for endurance...
  • mmillerdba
    Options

Yes but you are talking about body builders who by definition lift weights A LOT, and follow a very specific routine and nutritional plan designed specifically for building muscle mass. Lifting weights a few times a week, using lighter weights and high repetitions is entirely different than body building.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

women who are bulky are intentionally so...it doesn't happen by accident...you don't just start picking up some weights and working out a few times per week and suddenly bulk up. Bulking is a deliberate action...it requires a surplus of calories for one thing so it aint happening when you're on a diet. It also requires a lot of attention to detail in RE to hitting proper macros, especially protein and getting enough carbs to allow the protein to be used for muscle synthesis rather than energy.

I would also add that women who tend to have bulky thighs or just are bulky in general...they tend to be genetically that way. Petite little things don't get "bulky" just like small framed guys don't really get bulky. My wife can never be petite...she has is naturally "bulky" (but lean) even if she doesn't lift...that's the way she is built. Those muscles just pop more when she lifts and eats right. Same pretty much for guys...genetics plays a huge roll

Again, enough with this nonsense...you don't just accidentally bulk on a bunch of muscle. If you did, pretty much every guy in the weight room would be jacked like Arnie.

I agree with all of this!!
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents OP: you shouldn't be so afraid of lifting heavy. The women with "bulky" legs that you speak of are trying to do that intentionally and it takes years of work to get there.

Personally, I'm shrinking everywhere (thighs included) from lifting heavy. I know it's hard to let go of what the scale says, but honestly the scale is only one measure of success.

Eat a deficit, and lift heavy. I really don't think you'll get bulky. I know its counterintuitive to think that, but it's true. I know that once I finally understood it, I was sorry I didn't trust it earlier.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Yes but you are talking about body builders who by definition lift weights A LOT, and follow a very specific routine and nutritional plan designed specifically for building muscle mass. Lifting weights a few times a week, using lighter weights and high repetitions is entirely different than body building.

Take a look at what you just posted. Find the key there. Find where your advice from earlier doesn't match up with OP's goals.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Right on again and makes sense to me now looking at it from a genetics stand point.
  • mmillerdba
    Options

Take a look at what you just posted. Find the key there. Find where your advice from earlier doesn't match up with OP's goals.

Find the key huh. Okay you lost me. The OP wants to lose weight but is afraid that lifting weights will make her look "bulky". I said that shouldn't be a problem if she keeps her weights low and her reps high. Exactly how does that not match up?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I feel that everyone who says "no, you won't get bulky" actually is

lol