Lifting weights dilemma

Options

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    So are you agreeing or disagreeing with my comment? I admit that I am not an authority on the subject, but this is what I have read from several people who are.

Well, I'm disagreeing with it. Many bodybuilders work in the 10-20 rep range. The smart ones (ie: Layne Norton) work in the lower ranges (3-6), too.

Yes but you are talking about body builders who by definition lift weights A LOT, and follow a very specific routine and nutritional plan designed specifically for building muscle mass. Lifting weights a few times a week, using lighter weights and high repetitions is entirely different than body building.

Even lifting heavier weights in the 1-5 rep range is not bodybuilding. You can get "toned" and "sculpted" muscles with a powerlifting routine (arguably better than with the endurance routine you're suggesting).

The whole idea of "toned" and "sculpted" muscles as it's perpetuated by most of fitness media is a crock, by the way.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    What I find a little strange about this is that most guys have a hard time bulking and we have genetics on our side (testosterone). I think what gets lost in translation is what one thinks of bulky.

For me her is my example of a bulky women:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnyoe95kAkW8kE325yTxJffdNX_QVaav0Twl_e72WerkFjcMaHYQ

Now this women I am sure not only lifted heavy but also was on some juice and other PED's

For me here is my example of a women lifting heavy and just eating a well balanced diet (pic on the right):

septembertiljanuary.jpg

This is Matt Wilds fiance Yo and she lifts heavy. IMO this is more of a lean / cut build and not a bulky build and she lifts a lot from all of the posts that Matt has shared about her training.

So if the ladies do not want even this look then just stay away from the weights all together and be a cardio bunny.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    So are you agreeing or disagreeing with my comment? I admit that I am not an authority on the subject, but this is what I have read from several people who are.

Well, I'm disagreeing with it. Many bodybuilders work in the 10-20 rep range. The smart ones (ie: Layne Norton) work in the lower ranges (3-6), too.

Yes but you are talking about body builders who by definition lift weights A LOT, and follow a very specific routine and [bnutritional plan designed specifically for building muscle mass[/b]. Lifting weights a few times a week, using lighter weights and high repetitions is entirely different than body building.

Take a look at what you just posted. Find the key there. Find where your advice from earlier doesn't match up with OP's goals.

Find the key huh. Okay you lost me. The OP wants to lose weight but is afraid that lifting weights will make her look "bulky". I said that shouldn't be a problem if she keeps her weights low and her reps high. Exactly how does that not match up?

She's eating at a deficit - not a bodybuilder's surplus. Low weights at high reps won't do much for her.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    What I find a little strange about this is that most guys have a hard time bulking and we have genetics on our side (testosterone). I think what gets lost in translation is what one thinks of bulky.

Now this women I am sure not only lifted heavy but also was on some juice and other PED's

For me here is my example of a women lifting heavy and just eating a well balanced diet (pic on the right):

septembertiljanuary.jpg

This is Matt Wilds fiance Yo and she lifts heavy. IMO this is more of a lean / cut build and not a bulky build and she lifts a lot from all of the posts that Matt has shared about her training.

So if the ladies do not want even this look then just stay away from the weights all together and be a cardio bunny.

Actually, while Yo looks great, she is not a good example. She works really hard to gain muscle and is very lean. It does not happen by casually going to the gym.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

septembertiljanuary.jpg

Yes, but even with this, she worked extremely hard and dedicated. Just picking up some weights will not lead to this amount of muscle growth and definition (if that is not what you are looking for). I think she looks fantastic, of course. But, just wanted to make sure that people understand this. There is a wide range between people that add in some heavy weights for boosting their fitness and someone that is a competitor. So, just get started!!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents OP: you shouldn't be so afraid of lifting heavy. The women with "bulky" legs that you speak of are trying to do that intentionally and it takes years of work to get there.

Personally, I'm shrinking everywhere (thighs included) from lifting heavy. I know it's hard to let go of what the scale says, but honestly the scale is only one measure of success.

Eat a deficit, and lift heavy. I really don't think you'll get bulky. I know its counterintuitive to think that, but it's true. I know that once I finally understood it, I was sorry I didn't trust it earlier.

This and don't be a slave to the scale...you will be smaller at a heavier weight by lifting trust me...my sister is 5 ft 4 and weighs 125lbs and wears a size 2 because she is cut everywhere...seriously and I would post a pic if she would let me...venus belt the whole thing so imagine what size you would be if you lifted....and she doesn't do heavy like me but she is up to 20lb dumbells during her circut training.

I weigh 162.5lbs and I am in a size 6....yah seriously I bought a pair of size 6 jeans this weekend...2 actually...I bought a jr size medium....

Being strong and showing muscle definition is not bulky...but if you don't want that look than don't lift....

also check out the various threads in teh success stories...
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I will say not all women who lift have bulky legs some have lean but I am assuming it depends how heavy they are lifting.

I squat over 200 pounds and deadlift over 300. Wouldn't call my legs bulky, but maybe you would. My entire family has thick thighs and calves. (This picture was taken a few days before my bodybuilding competition, one I took first in for women's heavyweight)
    20130309_163710_zps6a8f333e.jpg

:heart:
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

septembertiljanuary.jpg

A note about the pics, she probably did some special tricks for the one on the right so that her muscles stand out more. Including playing with hydration levels, the "pump" effect, and lighting, and possibly a temporary body fat cut (depending on reasons for the photo on the right).
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Just keep your weights low and your repetitions high and you shouldn't get "bulky". Building "bulky" muscles generally requires that a) you lift weights A LOT, and b) that you lift heavy weights (generally in the 6-12 repetition range). Lifting lighter weights in the 15-20 repetition range will sculpt and tone your muscles, but you shouldn't get much more muscle mass.

wuhwhat.gif

You're missing a SURPLUS to build "bulky" muscles, along with hours and hours of work in the gym, along with testosterone, and probably a few substances that aren't legal.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Yes, but even with this, she worked extremely hard and dedicated. Just picking up some weights will not lead to this amount of muscle growth and definition (if that is not what you are looking for). I think she looks fantastic, of course. But, just wanted to make sure that people understand this. There is a wide range between people that add in some heavy weights for boosting their fitness and someone that is a competitor. So, just get started!!

*applauds* Very well put. I meant to put something similar but I failed... *shrugs*
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

*applauds* Very well put. I meant to put something similar but I failed... *shrugs*

:smile:
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I feel that everyone who says "no, you won't get bulky" actually is

lol

wow...
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options

Yes but you are talking about body builders who by definition lift weights A LOT, and follow a very specific routine and nutritional plan designed specifically for building muscle mass. Lifting weights a few times a week, using lighter weights and high repetitions is entirely different than body building.

Take a look at what you just posted. Find the key there. Find where your advice from earlier doesn't match up with OP's goals.

Find the key huh. Okay you lost me. The OP wants to lose weight but is afraid that lifting weights will make her look "bulky". I said that shouldn't be a problem if she keeps her weights low and her reps high. Exactly how does that not match up?

She will not get bulky eating at a deficit no matter how heavy she lifts. It's outdated advice like this that makes women afraid to pick up heavy weights

I lift very heavy, low reps and my legs are thinner now than when I started.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Just keep your weights low and your repetitions high and you shouldn't get "bulky". Building "bulky" muscles generally requires that a) you lift weights A LOT, and b) that you lift heavy weights (generally in the 6-12 repetition range). Lifting lighter weights in the 15-20 repetition range will sculpt and tone your muscles, but you shouldn't get much more muscle mass.

wuhwhat.gif

thank you...best response to this post yet.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    amyrebeccah FTW
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I will say not all women who lift have bulky legs some have lean but I am assuming it depends how heavy they are lifting.

OK, let me ask you. Are you looking for this:
    jamiematblog1.bmp
    As opposed to this?
    Jamie+Eason+2.jpg

If that's the case, then what you want is less definition. I'm sure you could tell that the pictures are of the same woman. That's because in the bottom picture, she's cut body fat in order to show more muscle definition (and sprayed on some tan). Using the word "bulky" in addition to annoying people, doesn't always describe what you're after and so can cause confusion.

If the answer to my above question is yes, then you will be fine. Here is an article that explains what to do if you turn around one day and decide you have more muscle than you want (because oddly enough, you don't have to stay that way if you don't want to--people seem to think that once they pick up a weight, there's no going back and they're stuck with their giant muscles forevah). http://bretcontreras.com/how-to-attain-a-slender-look-like-jessica-alba-zoe-saldana/

Read on and you will see now I understand.

and

I can say whatever word I feel like. I want to say bulky Ill say bulky. A lot of you annoy me but oh well that's life.

Thank you for your input.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Look, forget other people telling you how much you should weigh. It's your body and frankly, if you've still got 40 pounds to go, you can re-evaluate in another 10 or 20. That's not the point of your question.

I am also 5'4" and I currently weigh about 135lbs, so I'm a little down from where you are. I lift weights as my primary form of exercise, and it has never made me feel or look anything besides strong and toned. If you are eating at a caloric deficit or maintenance level, you will not bulk up.

Anywhere below what I weigh at this height, you will not appear bulky - muscular, maybe, but not bulky. When you lift weights, your muscles swell for a bit after, which can make you look a bit more muscular or bulky. This goes down with time, especially if you're consuming enough water and potassium.

In conclusion, don't be afraid of the weights. Just don't! Go for it. You need to have a pretty low BFP in order to have tons of muscle definition anyway.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I have been purposefully trying to get "bulky" over the last 3 years. I have managed to gain lots of muscle, but unless I'm flexing I just look fit.

I'm trying to gain now too -- I've been eating (what feels like) everything in sight and lifting heavy -- and it's a fight to put on any amount of bulk. What if the answer really is to go back to lifting 3-5 lb. pink dumbbells?