Which is worse...

Options
FrnkLft
FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
Which looks worse lol Benching just the bar, or benching the bar with two 2.5lb plates on it? Discuss.

* Don't take this seriously it's just funny to think about.

:drinker:

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ...benching just the bar, or benching the bar with two 2.5lb plates on it?

I chose C - Threads mocking people that aren't as strong as you are yet.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    What's the problem? I started with benching the bar, then putting 2.5 pounds plates on it..then more plates on it..

Pretty sure that's how you're supposed to do it.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I have to say, seeing my 6'4" husband squat the bar with 2.5 lb weights on it IS pretty funny...

I agree, no shame, at least he is using the Olympic Bar, which is more than me!
  • twisted88
    twisted88 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Some people might be trying out Strong Lifts 5x5 or another loading type strength training.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    ...benching just the bar, or benching the bar with two 2.5lb plates on it?

I chose C - Threads mocking people that aren't as strong as you are yet.

Aww, he was picking on me and himself, jokingly. I told him that I felt ridiculous benching the bar with 2.5 lb plates on it, last night. He's not being mean--he's surveying for answers. :wink:
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I say for sure with the 2.5lbers. Why do they have to look SO tiny?!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    I say for sure with the 2.5lbers. Why do they have to look SO tiny?!

^^THIS!

With the bar alone, you can be like: this is just the warm up before I add some REAL weight to it...then, you put those tiny little plates on there. :laugh: They should be big like the rubber deadlift weights. haha!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Uh, curling the bar in the squat rack with 2.5s.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    OP, when you're done on that squat rack, you can just leave those weights on...I'm just gonna do a few curls.
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    @WhiteRabbit13

Actually I had this conversation with my GF the other night and we were cracking up. She's in the same boat you are.

To all the guys who are taking this seriously... seriously... this is meant in good taste.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    @WhiteRabbit13

Actually I had this conversation with my GF the other night and we were cracking up. She's in the same boat you are.

To all the guys who are taking this seriously... seriously... this is meant in good taste.

Oh, good! Maybe, she and I can spot each other on 55 lbs. You tell her that! I really DO need someone to spot me. :laugh:
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Am I warming up, or is it a working set?

I did have an Army friend who could only bench 65lbs. Lets just say, he heard about it all the time
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    LOL...I have to say that when I started back to the weight room after about a decade plus off...and I started with SS and followed the program exactly as laid out...I felt pretty much like a *kitten* benching the bar...the 2.5 Lb plates did really make me feel much better...but the weight started piling on pretty quick and soon enough I was longing for those days when I just looked silly underneath an unloaded bar rather than looking silly having to do the roll of shame...
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    LOL...I have to say that when I started back to the weight room after about a decade plus off...and I started with SS and followed the program exactly as laid out...I felt pretty much like a *kitten* benching the bar...the 2.5 Lb plates did really make me feel much better...but the weight started piling on pretty quick and soon enough I was longing for those days when I just looked silly underneath an unloaded bar rather than looking silly having to do the roll of shame...

I dunno man I think the 2.5s look worse lol
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Lol sometimes I even feel silly popping on the extra 2.5ers when I've already got 45lb plates on there! They are just so embarassingly weensy.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I never wanted anything to do with the 2.5ers, like I would be embarrassed to even touch one, let alone use it.
  • 125KC
    125KC Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    [
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    this was me last night. did bench press with just 10lb on each side. made me feel wimpy

for a moment

then i realized i squat more than most men in my gym

so i carried on and didnt give 2 craps :)
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Both. They are both worse. I was so embarrassed when I started with the bar and 2 five pound weights. Had to start somewhere though.
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    this was me last night. did bench press with just 10lb on each side. made me feel wimpy

for a moment

then i realized i squat more than most men in my gym

so i carried on and didnt give 2 craps :)

I use it as encouragement to do more. When I was lifting with my boys in the Afghanistan, we played the 5lbs more game. "alright, you just made that lift, now do it with 5 lbs more you wimp." I went from what I considered a shameful bench to 315x2 in about 6 months. I miss being shamed/encourgaed into doing more.