Which is worse...

Options

Replies

• FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Lol sometimes I even feel silly popping on the extra 2.5ers when I've already got 45lb plates on there! They are just so embarassingly weensy.

Lol yeah this is my theory.
    I use it as encouragement to do more. When I was lifting with my boys in the Afghanistan, we played the 5lbs more game. "alright, you just made that lift, now do it with 5 lbs more you wimp." I went from what I considered a shameful bench to 315x2 in about 6 months. I miss being shamed/encourgaed into doing more.

Lol, sounds healthy.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    LOL...I have to say that when I started back to the weight room after about a decade plus off...and I started with SS and followed the program exactly as laid out...I felt pretty much like a *kitten* benching the bar...the 2.5 Lb plates did really make me feel much better...but the weight started piling on pretty quick and soon enough I was longing for those days when I just looked silly underneath an unloaded bar rather than looking silly having to do the roll of shame...

roll of shame??? What's that?
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    this was me last night. did bench press with just 10lb on each side. made me feel wimpy

for a moment

then i realized i squat more than most men in my gym

so i carried on and didnt give 2 craps :)

I use it as encouragement to do more. When I was lifting with my boys in the Afghanistan, we played the 5lbs more game. "alright, you just made that lift, now do it with 5 lbs more you wimp." I went from what I considered a shameful bench to 315x2 in about 6 months. I miss being shamed/encourgaed into doing more.

thats why i love 5x5 training. every week or two you can add a tiny bit more. a year ago i was just doing squats with a bar. :) slowly but surely we all move up. now i'm at 135 squats. same with bench. i started with 10lb dumb bells.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    LOL...I have to say that when I started back to the weight room after about a decade plus off...and I started with SS and followed the program exactly as laid out...I felt pretty much like a *kitten* benching the bar...the 2.5 Lb plates did really make me feel much better...but the weight started piling on pretty quick and soon enough I was longing for those days when I just looked silly underneath an unloaded bar rather than looking silly having to do the roll of shame...

When...ummmmmm....you can't "get it up"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qohvvfv0OwA
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    this was me last night. did bench press with just 10lb on each side. made me feel wimpy

for a moment

then i realized i squat more than most men in my gym

so i carried on and didnt give 2 craps :)

thats why i love 5x5 training. every week or two you can add a tiny bit more. a year ago i was just doing squats with a bar. :) slowly but surely we all move up. now i'm at 135 squats. same with bench. i started with 10lb dumb bells.

I think once I get down to my waist size goal, I'm going to check this out. I like my work out, but I don't know if I'm getting the max potential out of my training. I do add the 2.5s to my 295 lifts... If I'm going to lift 295, I might as well lift 300.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

I'm seriously tearing up from laughing at that. I almost had to do that at 55 lbs. Lmao! :laugh: :blushing:
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I don't think I can even bench the bar yet =(
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    You may think this is a 'fun and games' sort of post, but it's really an attempt at shaming people who aren't as strong yet. At least you could have put it in the chit chat area not Fitness so that maybe people would take it even less seriously.

Everyone here who is all "I can't even do the bar yet" with a sad-face or other sort of negative emotion....be positive. EVERYONE starts somewhere, and there is NO REASON to feel less a person because you can bench the bar, or less than the bar. Only asshats are looking at what you lift and thinking 'pathetic'. Real people, if they even bother to notice something outside their workout, are thinking 'good for him/her for getting here and trying.'
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    For some reason, it took me forever to increase my the weight significantly on the bench press. I moved up pretty quickly on most other weights, but I really had to work harder at this one. Maybe it's just me?
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I really think he meant no harm by it.

It is okay to laugh at ourselves once in awhile.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    You may think this is a 'fun and games' sort of post, but it's really an attempt at shaming people who aren't as strong yet. At least you could have put it in the chit chat area not Fitness so that maybe people would take it even less seriously.

Everyone here who is all "I can't even do the bar yet" with a sad-face or other sort of negative emotion....be positive. EVERYONE starts somewhere, and there is NO REASON to feel less a person because you can bench the bar, or less than the bar. Only asshats are looking at what you lift and thinking 'pathetic'. Real people, if they even bother to notice something outside their workout, are thinking 'good for him/her for getting here and trying.'

Oh, gawd. Lol!

I started lifting a month ago and am under no illusions that I should be mega strong. I started benching 30 lbs with the standard bar.I worked UP to to 2.5 plates. I'm totally fine with that.

Maybe, it did belong in the chit chat thread, but it certainly doesn't warrant such negative criticism. I mean, if you can't laugh at yourself with others, I just don't know what you can do anymore?
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    I really think he meant no harm by it.

It is okay to laugh at ourselves once in awhile.

^^This!
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    For some reason, it took me forever to increase my the weight significantly on the bench press. I moved up pretty quickly on most other weights, but I really had to work harder at this one. Maybe it's just me?

For me, it's the fear of failure without a spotter. Just having some dude standing there will give me 2 more reps. He doesn't even have to touch anything.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

For me, it's the fear of failure without a spotter. Just having some dude standing there will give me 2 more reps. He doesn't even have to touch anything.

This! This was my initial problem as well. Luckily, the members at my gym are pretty cool and helpful about spotting and things like that.
  • HealthyMakeover
    HealthyMakeover Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and 115lbs and I can only bench the bar and another 10 lbs, but I think that is how people start off if they don't want to hurt themselves. I mean, I don't think you are here to offend anybody, but I'm just saying that some people could be offended by this.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

I couldn't progress beyond 30 lbs until I realized that my grip was way too wide. I narrowed my grip and was like, "Oh. 30 lbs is nothing. I'll bet I can do the Oly bar, now." And, I DID it! I was so happy!
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'm not worried really about people being offended...I'm worried that they will be discouraged. "oh geez, even newbs are ashamed of their weights and I just can't get myself to that weight room...if they're concerned and those tiny weights are 'wrong' then I just can't.' So yeah, I'm sure there was no 'harm' meant, but it can be discouraging, ya know? [Not to ME, I've gotten secure enough to realize I don't care what someone else will think and that I should be PROUD of those 2.5 pound weights on the bar because I'm lifting].

Yes, ultimately we need to be able to laugh at ourselves, take responsibility for our own reaction to stupid things, and not let things get us down. I just think that we ALSO should try to realize how certain things can come off.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    I'm not worried really about people being offended...I'm worried that they will be discouraged. "oh geez, even newbs are ashamed of their weights and I just can't get myself to that weight room...if they're concerned and those tiny weights are 'wrong' then I just can't.' So yeah, I'm sure there was no 'harm' meant, but it can be discouraging, ya know? [Not to ME, I've gotten secure enough to realize I don't care what someone else will think and that I should be PROUD of those 2.5 pound weights on the bar because I'm lifting].

Yes, ultimately we need to be able to laugh at ourselves, take responsibility for our own reaction to stupid things, and not let things get us down. I just think that we ALSO should try to realize how certain things can come off.

Ok. We're sorry?
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Ok listen that was not my point. I spend all my time on here encouraging people to lift and start with the bar.

It's funny without judgement... Can you understand that?
  • PtheronJr
    PtheronJr Posts: 108 Member
    Options

I'm seriously tearing up from laughing at that. I almost had to do that at 55 lbs. Lmao! :laugh: :blushing:

That video actually shows something good that too many gym goers are afraid to do.
    Fail.
    You must fail. If you do not fail, you are not pushing yourself. If you haven't had to drop a deadlift midway, if you haven't had to roll the bar off your chest during a bench, if you haven't had to roll the bar off your back during a squat, you haven't pushed yourself.
    Too many people approach the bar with a safe comfortable weight they know they can lift, they never dare to go hard, to go for that additional bench rep that either has you sticking at the bottom or roaring and monstering out a new PR.

In fact, the fear of failure, or the "shame" of it (as people who are afraid to push themselves call it), is a big reason why you see stupid crap like quarter squats, deadlifts with straps and belts when absolutely no assistance is needed, or flat back benches with flared 90 degree elbows in the 10 rep range. People will do anything to lift "respectable" weight without the deadly fatal "shame" of messing up.

If you squat to depth and messed up, at least you tried it PROPERLY, if you bench by pulling the bar all the way to your chest with your butt on the bench and an arch in your back and messed up, at least you tried it PROPERLY.

I haven't talked to a single experienced lifter, especially not experienced lifters who squat over 300 to depth or deadlift over 400 with fantastic form, and discovered that not once have they had to fail. In fact, failure shouldn't be a rare occasion. I find myself failing lifts fairly often at the gym, because I push myself into new PR's.
    Every single time I test my 1RM I end up failing, because once I hit a new PR, I say "Screw it." and add yet another 10lbs to the lift to try and see if I can do it.

If you aren't afraid of the weight on the bar, you aren't doing it right.

Failure is essential, and the fear and ridiculing of it is moronic. The people who aren't afraid to fail in the gym are the people who will make significantly better progress and get much stronger.