Which is worse...

Options

Replies

• WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    LOL...I have to say that when I started back to the weight room after about a decade plus off...and I started with SS and followed the program exactly as laid out...I felt pretty much like a *kitten* benching the bar...the 2.5 Lb plates did really make me feel much better...but the weight started piling on pretty quick and soon enough I was longing for those days when I just looked silly underneath an unloaded bar rather than looking silly having to do the roll of shame...

roll of shame??? What's that?

When...ummmmmm....you can't "get it up"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qohvvfv0OwA

I'm seriously tearing up from laughing at that. I almost had to do that at 55 lbs. Lmao! :laugh: :blushing:

That video actually shows something good that too many gym goers are afraid to do.
    Fail.
    You must fail. If you do not fail, you are not pushing yourself. If you haven't had to drop a deadlift midway, if you haven't had to roll the bar off your chest during a bench, if you haven't had to roll the bar off your back during a squat, you haven't pushed yourself.
    Too many people approach the bar with a safe comfortable weight they know they can lift, they never dare to go hard, to go for that additional bench rep that either has you sticking at the bottom or roaring and monstering out a new PR.

In fact, the fear of failure, or the "shame" of it (as people who are afraid to push themselves call it), is a big reason why you see stupid crap like quarter squats, deadlifts with straps and belts when absolutely no assistance is needed, or flat back benches with flared 90 degree elbows in the 10 rep range. People will do anything to lift "respectable" weight without the deadly fatal "shame" of messing up.

If you squat to depth and messed up, at least you tried it PROPERLY, if you bench by pulling the bar all the way to your chest with your butt on the bench and an arch in your back and messed up, at least you tried it PROPERLY.

I haven't talked to a single experienced lifter, especially not experienced lifters who squat over 300 to depth or deadlift over 400 with fantastic form, and discovered that not once have they had to fail. In fact, failure shouldn't be a rare occasion. I find myself failing lifts fairly often at the gym, because I push myself into new PR's.
    Every single time I test my 1RM I end up failing, because once I hit a new PR, I say "Screw it." and add yet another 10lbs to the lift to try and see if I can do it.

If you aren't afraid of the weight on the bar, you aren't doing it right.

Failure is essential, and the fear and ridiculing of it is moronic. The people who aren't afraid to fail in the gym are the people who will make significantly better progress and get much stronger.

While I can see that failure IS essential, in more experienced lifters, I am a complete novice. I started the day after Christmas (a month ago), so I am still trying to get my form down. I don't think that NOW is the time to push myself, do you? Not to mention, I just found out what the rails were for on squats...I went down and never came back up. I felt a great deal of gratitude that those rails were there, so I could duck out, avoiding crumpling on the floor under the bar. Lol!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    Ok listen that was not my point. I spend all my time on here encouraging people to lift and start with the bar.

It's funny without judgement... Can you understand that?

QFT
  • teaparty75
    Options
    For some reason, it took me forever to increase my the weight significantly on the bench press. I moved up pretty quickly on most other weights, but I really had to work harder at this one. Maybe it's just me?

For me, it's the fear of failure without a spotter. Just having some dude standing there will give me 2 more reps. He doesn't even have to touch anything.

This! This was my initial problem as well. Luckily, the members at my gym are pretty cool and helpful about spotting and things like that.

i've completely hit the wall at 85lb bench press - i'm doing stronglifts 5x5 and have been stuck at 85 for about 2 weeks now ...THIS is where those 2.5 lbs really come in handy - when i get the nerve to finally go up , those 2.5lb weights are not scary and i tell myself "come on, you got that !"
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    For some reason, it took me forever to increase my the weight significantly on the bench press. I moved up pretty quickly on most other weights, but I really had to work harder at this one. Maybe it's just me?

For me, it's the fear of failure without a spotter. Just having some dude standing there will give me 2 more reps. He doesn't even have to touch anything.

This! This was my initial problem as well. Luckily, the members at my gym are pretty cool and helpful about spotting and things like that.

i've completely hit the wall at 85lb bench press - i'm doing stronglifts 5x5 and have been stuck at 85 for about 2 weeks now ...THIS is where those 2.5 lbs really come in handy - when i get the nerve to finally go up , those 2.5lb weights are not scary and i tell myself "come on, you got that !"

Yep. I recognize that the 2.5 lb. weights will make a regular occurrence in my SL 5x5 program. It's impossible to never incorporate them, when you can only progress by 5 lbs. per session. And, you're right. 2.5 lb. plates are way less intimidating than 5 or 10 lb. plates.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    LOL...I have to say that when I started back to the weight room after about a decade plus off...and I started with SS and followed the program exactly as laid out...I felt pretty much like a *kitten* benching the bar...the 2.5 Lb plates did really make me feel much better...but the weight started piling on pretty quick and soon enough I was longing for those days when I just looked silly underneath an unloaded bar rather than looking silly having to do the roll of shame...

I dunno man I think the 2.5s look worse lol

yeah- I'm about here- I wouldn't every use JUST the 2.5 lbers.

I do bar only quiet a bit- technique is important.

I've done OHP with 5's on each side- that's kind of shameful for me- but unfortunately it is what it is.

The reality is we aren't all strong and we don't start at the same strength level- so if the bar is your working set- then you push to add the 2.5's.

I'm getting ready to look into buying 1 lbers - why not. LOL
  • JoRocka
    Options

when I add 5's to my DL... (so 10 lbs total) I tell myself all I have added is my fat cat to the bar.

if I add 10's- I tell myself I have added a small dog.

Some how that makes me feel better.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Also.

COOKIES!!!!! :D
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    Also.

COOKIES!!!!! :D

Great. Now, I want cookies. :tongue:
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    You guys realize that adding 2.5s to the bar every workout is what Stronglifts requires right? 2.5+2.5 = 5 lbs increment...

Btw I've heard of guys having friends machine some 1.25 lb weights to push their maxes forward. Especially on OHP I would do this for sure.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    You guys realize that adding 2.5s to the bar every workout is what Stronglifts requires right? 2.5+2.5 = 5 lbs increment...

Btw I've heard of guys having friends machine some 1.25 lb weights to push their maxes forward. Especially on OHP I would do this for sure.

I've never done strong lifts- but if it said 5 lb increments- i'd be adding 5's. I never use 2.5 unless I'm stuck- or close to failure.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's 5 lb increments to your working weight (adding 5s would be 10lbs), so the plate math makes it 2 x 2.5s.

Even 5/3/1 does this for the training maxes too... though every 4 weeks for upper. Keeps the needle moving.

So again, this was a joke, because the cookies are a big part of serious weight training. They just look funny as hell on the bar alone.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Yeah it's 5 lb increments to your working weight (adding 5s would be 10lbs), so the plate math makes it 2 x 2.5s.

Even 5/3/1 does this for the training maxes too... though every 4 weeks for upper. Keeps the needle moving.

So again, this was a joke, because the cookies are a big part of serious weight training. They just look funny as hell on the bar alone.

lol I know adding 5's would be adding 10 lbs total- I've lifted once or twice ;)

But if someone told me to jump in 5 lb increments- that's what I would do- unless it specified 5 lbs total.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

lol I know adding 5's would be adding 10 lbs total- I've lifted once or twice ;)

But if someone told me to jump in 5 lb increments- that's what I would do- unless it specified 5 lbs total.

I tried doing that (adding two 5's), and that's when I almost didn't get the 55 lbs. back onto the rack. lol!
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options

Lots of times, lifting is mental. You are defeated before you even try. One time, I was doing failure sets and my boys put on a ramdom weight. I pumped them out did like 20-25 in a row. Added up the weight and had 185. Well, 3 days earlier, I was only able to do 16-19 are 185. Damn, I was psyching myself out. Same thing with the almighty 315 bench. 295- rep out 4-5. 305 - rep out 3-4. 315 - failure. Just couldn't do it.

Thats why when I help some new out, I don;t tell them how much is on the bar, let the lift and succed or lift and fail, then adjust. Then after they pump out 2-3x more weight than they ever imagined they could lift. I then use it as a teaching moment for pushing one's self and how much stronger they are than they thing they are.

FrnkLft - You made a joke thread that turned into a very helpful progression thread. Most people will see this.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

Lots of times, lifting is mental. You are defeated before you even try. One time, I was doing failure sets and my boys put on a ramdom weight. I pumped them out did like 20-25 in a row. Added up the weight and had 185. Well, 3 days earlier, I was only able to do 16-19 are 185. Damn, I was psyching myself out. Same thing with the almighty 315 bench. 295- rep out 4-5. 305 - rep out 3-4. 315 - failure. Just couldn't do it.

Thats why when I help some new out, I don;t tell them how much is on the bar, let the lift and succed or lift and fail, then adjust. Then after they pump out 2-3x more weight than they ever imagined they could lift. I then use it as a teaching moment for pushing one's self and how much stronger they are than they thing they are.

^^Agreed. I try not to really think about how much weight I'm lifting beyond figuring what to put on the bar, for this very reason. I definitely have to watch my attitude during my work-outs, because I get in the way of my progress sometimes.
    FrnkLft - You made a joke thread that turned into a very helpful progression thread. Most people will see this.

^^Yep.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I want to start strength training along with my cardio. I'll be lucky if I can bench just the bar.

>.<
  • JoRocka
    Options

I tried doing that (adding two 5's), and that's when I almost didn't get the 55 lbs. back onto the rack. lol!

LOL yes- but you've been doing this for 3 months? in another 10 months- you'll be adding 5's and 10's like it's your business. :D
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    I want to start strength training along with my cardio. I'll be lucky if I can bench just the bar.

>.<

I started with the standard bar, because the Oly bar was too heavy. A month later, and the Oly bar is a piece of cake. You'll be fine! :wink:
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

LOL yes- but you've been doing this for 3 months? in another 10 months- you'll be adding 5's and 10's like it's your business. :D

No, just one month :smile:

And, I look forward to the day when I can make the 5 lb. plates my b!tch. Lol!
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options

>.<

I started with the standard bar, because the Oly bar was too heavy. A month later, and the Oly bar is a piece of cake. You'll be fine! :wink:

Own every lift like you just set a world record, then yesterdays lift is no longer good enough for today.