This Cures Depression

Options

Replies

• tbspoon09
    Options
    Depressed people don't smile or laugh. Therefore, a smiling or laughing person doesn't stay depressed for very long. Stand up, throw your arms in the air, put a big smile on your face and tell yourself how amazing things are going to happen to you, and then have a big laugh about it, and I guarantee that your depressing thoughts will not stay around to join the party. That's right! I'm telling you how to crash a pity-party.

If you don't think depressed people smile or laugh, you probably don't have a clear picture of the breadth and scope of how depression actually manifests in people.

Clinically depressed people usually still have the full range of feelings and emotions. Depression is an odd combination of despair/hopelessness/indifference/numbness, but amid all that sadness there are still moments of laughter and levity. They're just not enough to pull you out of the 'sad pit'.

And, if only it were so simple to 'just cheer up' or let positive people/activities change your mood and rub off on you, then there probably wouldn't be so many people struggling with depression.

You've oversimplified.

EXACTLY!!!! Very well said! Thanks:)
  • ijohn_001
    ijohn_001 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This is a tricky subject, non-circumstantial depression. My post is not about the cause of depression. it's about the cure.

non-circumstantial depression, as I understand it, may be caused in some cases by chemical imbalances in the body's systems. If that is the case, then I am all for medicinal treatment to restore balance to the body's chemistry... or, other non-medicinal cures, including the pursuit of spiritual healing, depending on one's spiritual beliefs.

At the same time, my proposed remedy will certainly only help the process of healing. anyone snubbing the post, if they're honest with themselves, will have to admit that. Otherwise, it's like saying, "there's nothing that can be done. Just mope around then and stare at the floor." No! That will never aid the recover process now, will it?
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Just FYI when someone who has never experienced depression tells me to "just cheer up", I seriously consider punching them in the face.

^ this.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I assume you're speaking of clinical depression.

This is a tricky subject, non-circumstantial depression. My post is not about the cause of depression. it's about the cure.

non-circumstantial depression, as I understand it, may be caused in some cases by chemical imbalances in the body's systems. If that is the case, then I am all for medicinal treatment to restore balance to the body's chemistry... or, other non-medicinal cures, including the pursuit of spiritual healing, depending on one's spiritual beliefs.

At the same time, my proposed remedy will certainly only help the process of healing. anyone snubbing the post, if they're honest with themselves, will have to admit that.

This now, I agree with.

I believe that there are many routes in dealing with depression, even with non-circumstantial depression. From CBT to formal medicines. The trick is in finding what is right for what the person experiences.

I think part of the problem these days is that people turn to medication far too quickly, and they see it as a solution, instead of a tool.

I'm one who is medicated, and have been, on and off for the last 30 years. I've tried everything from self medication with alcohol to attempting to 'think positive' to alternative medicines, to formal medicines. And it's only in the last two years that I've gotten on a cocktail of prescriptions that allows me to effectively use the other positive methods of dealing with depression. Prior to this set of scripts, they were just another thing that I failed at over and over again.

What your initial post suggests is something that can help. It'll help some people right up front, it won't be able to help others until they are in a place where they can work with it, so to suggest that it 'cures depression' is deeply frustrating to people like myself. Because alone, for all people, it can't.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    ~sighs deeply~

While what you suggest probably will relate to some people, it's complete nonsense for others.

Not all depression is circumstantial.
    its not but all depression can be helped by alternative to drugs.......I don't advocate for any medication.

I'm sorry, I disagree with you, unless you mean 'helped' in a small not particularly noticeable way.

Non-circumstantial depression can be "helped" through means other than medication. Positive thinking, exercise, time with my loved ones, hobbies . . . all "help" with my depression/anxiety/overall crazy.

Sometimes (often) those things just aren't enough to correct/fix the root of the problem. No amount of external "help" can correct a chemical imbalance.

Yep, I totally agree, that is called Sadness. I learned the difference this year. Sadness is a natural part of life and we need to work through it. Depression is something completely different, and should never be trivialized.
  • AshTrixxy
    AshTrixxy Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    ~sighs deeply~

While what you suggest probably will relate to some people, it's complete nonsense for others.

Not all depression is circumstantial.
    its not but all depression can be helped by alternative to drugs.......I don't advocate for any medication.

I don't advocate for medicine all time, but sometimes it is unavoidable. There are medical conditions which through your dopamine and serotonin levels out of whack and no amount of sheer will or "shaking it off" will cure those imbalances. I had a minor problem with depression and my cure is faith and prayer. But there are plenty of people who have severe problems with depression that cannot be handled without medication.
  • StephyGetsHealthy
    Options
    Things like this drive me crazy.

I have had my doctor tell me endless times to just "do something I enjoy" or to "think positively". The problem is that when I'm in the deepest parts of my depression... I don't enjoy anything, except staying in bed. Looking in the mirror and smiling at myself isn't going to help anything, and realistically, when I sit there and think "this is silly, there's no reason to be this depressed, look at the sunshine and rainbows" it makes me feel worse.

also this:
    Just FYI when someone who has never experienced depression tells me to "just cheer up", I seriously consider punching them in the face.
  • NoExcusesFitnessCoach
    Options
    I think people throw around the term "depression" too freely. Clinical depression isn't as simple as "I smiled and laughed and now I feel better!" It's a true illness, a chemical imbalance that can't just be ignored. It has to be treated. I'm no doctor, but seriously you can't just shrug off a condition like depression. There are also cases of depression as a symptom of a larger health issue. In my case, I had depression as one of many symptoms of fibromyalgia. In my own journey, I have eliminated all symptoms of fibro, including depression. But not by laughing and smiling (although I do that often). By HARD WORK, clean eating, and a complete lifestyle change. But that was NOT clinical depression. That's very different.

One of my biggest pet peeves is people that don't have or understand a condition saying "hey, do this and you'll be all better". How many times has someone told me how to get over fibro through the years? A zillion. How many times were their suggestions completely ridiculous and insulting? Every. Single. Time.
  • amm8589
    amm8589 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between clinical depression and "the blues". Clinical depression cannot be cured by positive thinking and exercise. I have seen depression in family members and I can tell you that there is no simple cure. Sometimes medication can't even work. It's a terrible struggle.

The blues, which is feeling sad and depressed, but not clinically depressed, is certainly something one can manage through things like exercise, positive thinking, etc. When we feel ourselves getting sad or feeling badly, we can often "fake it until we make it". When I feel myself feeling blue, I immediately shun all slow songs on the radio and force myself to take long walks while listening to happy music, increase outdoor activity and exercise, and talk to positive, happy people. It works! But to say that would help somebody with Major Depression is simply not true, unfortunately.
  • tazhinshaw
    tazhinshaw Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I think what OP is referring to is the kind of lower-grade "depression" that occurs in normal cycles in a normal person's life. That is NOT true depression. The word depression is thrown around much too liberally these days.

You certainly can't tell me that this would work with a soldier with PTSD-induced-depression that has a rope around his neck! PTSD-induced-depression is circumstantial.

My clinical depression is a part of who I am. After therapy and medication, I realize that. And part of my problem that made it worse was that I was trying to convince myself I was ok - put on a smile and surround myself with happy people. Guess what - it didn't work! *gasp*. Even after trying to "shake it off', I still found myself with my hands around my colicky daughter's neck because she wouldn't stop crying (no worries I didn't do anything, but it scared the living *kitten* out of me and I got help; she is now 8 and a beatiful wonderful girl).

This kind of 'advice' actually adds to the stigma surrounding mental health. 'Don't worry be happy' does not work

Sorry OP, I'm sure your heart was in the right place, but you missed it on this one. Have a great day though :flowerforyou:

YES. Same story here girly.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

At the same time, my proposed remedy will certainly only help the process of healing. anyone snubbing the post, if they're honest with themselves, will have to admit that. Otherwise, it's like saying, "there's nothing that can be done. Just mope around then and stare at the floor." No! That will never aid the recover process now, will it?

Requoting yourself does nothing to further your "cure." The moment you employ what is essentially victim blaming, a.k.a "choosing to be depressed," your words become meaningless.

Snubbing the post is hardly people standing around and "wallowing." It's pointing out how dangerous it is to advocate a "cure" for a disorder that requires medical intervention, be it therapy, prescription medications, or both. Accusing depressed people of "enjoying attention, "just moping around," or "choosing to be that way" shows such a stunning misunderstanding of depression that I can only wonder what made you think you understood it. Did you wake up sort of bummed one day, think you were depressed, and then "solve" your problems by smiling? That's not clinical depression.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Depressed people don't smile or laugh. Therefore, a smiling or laughing person doesn't stay depressed for very long. Stand up, throw your arms in the air, put a big smile on your face and tell yourself how amazing things are going to happen to you, and then have a big laugh about it, and I guarantee that your depressing thoughts will not stay around to join the party. That's right! I'm telling you how to crash a pity-party.

If you don't think depressed people smile or laugh, you probably don't have a clear picture of the breadth and scope of how depression actually manifests in people.

Clinically depressed people usually still have the full range of feelings and emotions. Depression is an odd combination of despair/hopelessness/indifference/numbness, but amid all that sadness there are still moments of laughter and levity. They're just not enough to pull you out of the 'sad pit'.

And, if only it were so simple to 'just cheer up' or let positive people/activities change your mood and rub off on you, then there probably wouldn't be so many people struggling with depression.

You've oversimplified.

Exactly.

I have real, true, diagnosed by a real physician, clinical depression. The day before I tried to kill myself, I went out for a nice lunch with a friend. I'm sure I smiled at least once.

Cure for depression, choosing to be depressed... :grumble:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

You certainly can't tell me that this would work with a soldier with PTSD-induced-depression that has a rope around his neck! PTSD-induced-depression is circumstantial.

I was going to say something similar. The depression I had was caused by PTSD. It didn't go away until the PTSD was adequately dealt with. Even now I have to be careful that either it or the PTSD doesn't come back. Because in 1/3 cases, it never goes away fully. It's just kept at bay.

Advice like in the OP helps in some cases, but helps =/= cured. Heavy barbell squats help a lot too (but I wouldn't expect them to help everyone with PTSD/depression). But it's not a cure. these things treat the symptoms, not the cause. And sometimes even when you know the cause you can't cure it.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Requoting yourself does nothing to further your "cure." The moment you employ what is essentially victim blaming, a.k.a "choosing to be depressed," your words become meaningless.

Snubbing the post is hardly people standing around and "wallowing." It's pointing out how dangerous it is to advocate a "cure" for a disorder that requires medical intervention, be it therapy, prescription medications, or both. Accusing depressed people of "enjoying attention, "just moping around," or "choosing to be that way" shows such a stunning misunderstanding of depression that I can only wonder what made you think you understood it. Did you wake up sort of bummed one day, think you were depressed, and then "solve" your problems by smiling? That's not clinical depression.

^^^^ all of what she said
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about depression as in clinical depression or 'depression' as in "having a crappy few days"? Because what you wrote may help with the latter, it ain't gonna do anything with the former.

I would also point out that telling someone with clinical depression to smile and the depression will go away will do a lot more harm than good. Even (and especially) if they believe you. A chemical imbalance in the brain cannot be cured with positive affirmations, just as a broken leg cannot be cured with happy thoughts.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options

I was going to say something similar. The depression I had was caused by PTSD. It didn't go away until the PTSD was adequately dealt with. Even now I have to be careful that either it or the PTSD doesn't come back. Because in 1/3 cases, it never goes away fully. It's just kept at bay.

Advice like in the OP helps, but helps =/= cured. Heavy barbell squats help a lot too. But it's not a cure. these things treat the symptoms, not the cause. And sometimes even when you know the cause you can't cure it.

:flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,718 Member
    Options
    From my experience, a depressed person really just gives up on everything.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from but as someone who has dealt with it for a long time now, it is like being between a rock and a hard place. What you are suggesting is much easier said than done. There is a lot more to depression than what you are making it out to be. It isn't like just having a bad day. Do you speak from personal experience?

I have to agree. I too have struggled with depression. Simply saying "kick negativity in the @ss & be happy" is not always a possibility with everyone who suffers with the "illness". Being positive is a choice... but dealing with A LOT of negativity in life throws some people into a downward spiral that no amount of positivity can CURE. My depression stemmed from an abusive relationship plus some other things from my background while growing up.
    I don't believe medicine is always the answer either--but just telling someone to "MAN / WOMAN UP & BE HAPPY"... just isn't a real cure. YES positive surroundings help, to a degree, but can also do the opposite.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,140 Member
    Options
    choosing to stay depressed
    tumblr_mv4zkbWYpX1sj3oxho1_500.gif

OP should take a read of this:
    http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.ca/2011/10/adventures-in-depression.html

Allie Brosh hits depression on the head (at least the depression I have).

+Infinity
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options