This Cures Depression

Options

Replies

• Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    This is the biggest load I've seen on here in a long time. Depression is a biological disorder, not a "weed" to be pulled from your "mind garden."

Just when I thought I'd seen it all...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTX2-kRXcPEx2M6fJ2HnddHksjOu_vVEmM0Xfn7qTS41dtuakeCew
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options
    I have an incredible mindset. I also have chemical imbalances. I deal with depression. Not because I think I'm inadequate or life is horrible (I'm very optimistic), but the chemicals cause issues with mood. Nice try though.

ETA: I elect to not take drugs for it. Vitamin D helps slightly since I have very low levels of it.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    15 years of various therapies / medications/ hospital trips and so much suffering

AND YOU FIXED ME IN 2 secounds

nope. only I can do that and it certainly is not as simple as plucking a weed
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    and you do what for a living again?

Not sure what my job has to do with anything, but I've lived with depression my entire life and I've learned the hard way that not taking medication is a bad idea. Maybe there are some people out there that can get by without it just by eating healthy and exercising but I can't. And I think it's extremely irresponsible to imply otherwise.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    ~sighs deeply~

While what you suggest probably will relate to some people, it's complete nonsense for others.

Not all depression is circumstantial.
    its not but all depression can be helped by alternative to drugs.......I don't advocate for any medication.
    Tell me more about how a broken arm can be healed by positive thoughts.
    you are going out on a limb here but let me tell you.......

I recently broke my hand.......I don't wear a brace, I haven't seek treatment, physically therapy or pain meds.....but I know its broken.....like a mind for instances........so when I workout.......and I do, weights, pushups etc....it hurts a lot in the beginning but over time its gotten less painful......but I know its going to hurt but I still do it...why do I do it? well see I don't want to give up on what I want and that is working out to stay healthy.....therefore, the positive thoughts I have that it will eventually get better if I just keep going is working.

I thought we were talking about depression here......oh wait.
    So tell me clearly why the broken hand needed medicine but the brain of a depressed person doesn't, please. I'm not getting why you believe that the human brain shouldn't/isn't able to be aided by medical science when the limbs should be/are.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    So tell me clearly why the broken hand needed medicine but the brain of a depressed person doesn't, please. I'm not getting why you believe that the human brain shouldn't/isn't able to be aided by medical science when the limbs should be/are.

He's actually saying that the broken hand didn't need medicine. He just powered through it. You know. Like ya do.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    tell me more about how you know more about depression than all my Psychology professors. I'm sure they'd LOVE to know you discovered a cure that works 100% of the time on 100% of patients with major depressive disorder. Y'know, because the psychology and psychiatric (the former which DOESN'T rely on medication) fields still have not.
  • RotterdamNL
    RotterdamNL Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I am sorry op, read the title, opened this post, saw your profile photo, giggled and moved on ;)
    resize_image.jpg
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    ~sighs deeply~

While what you suggest probably will relate to some people, it's complete nonsense for others.

Yah.

The following is a helpful overview of the subject:

http://www.upworthy.com/what-is-depression-let-this-animation-with-a-dog-shed-light-on-it

I wish this video was a requirement for the general population. Then *maybe* the "snap out of it" mentality would cease.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,718 Member
    Options
    From my experience, a depressed person really just gives up on everything.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

*SMH*

FYI, here's the definition of clinical depression: a state of depression and anhedonia so severe as to require clinical intervention

NOT a choice. REQUIRES clinical intervention. If you're just talking about pessimists and negative nancies, that's not a DEPRESSED person. I do agree that some people are just NEGATIVE and choose to stay that way. But depression is not a choice. To suggest that is insensitive at best.
    I'm not an expert on it by no means. I'm speaking from people who have been diagnosed with it whom I've observed. I'm very well aware of people who are pessimists and negative nancy's (I deal with them daily) who just that way naturally. I'm speaking of people who despite support and caring, can't seem to "brighten" up in any way.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    ~sighs deeply~

its not but all depression can be helped by alternative to drugs.......I don't advocate for any medication.

I'm sorry, I disagree with you, unless you mean 'helped' in a small not particularly noticeable way.
    all depression is different but exercise and music etc other forms of enjoyment and hobbies release chemicals that our brains should normal release anyway but by doing these types of things we increase the release and the connections to those brain synapses that do promote "the feeling of being depressed"

I'm glad you prefaced by saying all depression is different.

Some years ago, I frequented a gym, had a PT, and never experienced the positive mental benefits of exercise. What I experienced was extreme anger.

Without medication, and when I'm in the depths of depression, being around upbeat people, listing to upbeat music, or trying to do things that I might otherwise enjoy, inevitably either piss me off or set me to tears.

There is a reason that mental illness is one of the hardest things to treat.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

*SMH*

FYI, here's the definition of clinical depression: a state of depression and anhedonia so severe as to require clinical intervention

NOT a choice. REQUIRES clinical intervention. If you're just talking about pessimists and negative nancies, that's not a DEPRESSED person. I do agree that some people are just NEGATIVE and choose to stay that way. But depression is not a choice. To suggest that is insensitive at best.
    I'm not an expert on it by no means. I'm speaking from people who have been diagnosed with it whom I've observed. I'm very well aware of people who are pessimists and negative nancy's (I deal with them daily) who just that way naturally. I'm speaking of people who despite support and caring, can't seem to "brighten" up in any way.

IDEA Fitness member

I had to think about what you said regarding the giving up.

For me, I never gave up. If I had I would have committed suicide. I came close many times, but never actually made an attempt.

To an outsider, maybe it appeared as if I gave up on so many things because I was unable to do them.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

*SMH*

IDEA Fitness member

I had to think about what you said regarding the giving up.

For me, I never gave up. If I had I would have committed suicide. I came close many times, but never actually made an attempt.

To an outsider, maybe it appeared as if I gave up on so many things because I was unable to do them.

I think your last statement is really well said. "Giving up" implies some sense of agency. Depression suppresses your agency. It's not that we choose not to care but that we can't figure out how to care. (or, at least, it is/was for me. every depression is different)
  • ijohn_001
    ijohn_001 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    As the OP, i cannot fully recant my original post. Its principles wholeheartedly applied would still aid in the healing process. But, I do acknowledge the sentiments of those suffering from clinical depression.

I watched the video about the black dog. To me, it seemed to convey many of the same ideas that I shared in the original post. In the end, if you can train your black dog new tricks, then is it not by using some of the same tools which I originally mentioned. Certainly, they wouldn't hurt.

I am startlingly surprised at the tone of many who have posted on this thread. I feel attacked and belittled for my attempts to offer some constructive advice. I'm not one to get offended. I'm just surprised, that's all.

At least we've provoked some conversation on the issue and some people have expressed gratitude for the post. That's all I intended. So, if what I've said has been offensive to you, I apologize. And if you still feel like punching me in the face, then you are welcome to print my pic and go to town.

I am gracefully bowing out of this discussion. Thank you all for your participation.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

*SMH*

IDEA Fitness member

Perhaps because clinical depression, like any other disease, cannot be cured by support and caring.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I am startlingly surprised at the tone of many who have posted on this thread. I feel attacked and belittled for my attempts to offer some constructive advice. I'm not one to get offended. I'm just surprised, that's all.

It's because depressed people have been told throughout their lives by well-meaning, but uninformed people... 'Cheer Up!', 'You need to SMILE!' and 'Snap out of it!'

I'm sure you meant well, but your post basically followed that script. People react strongly because it's kind of a slap-in-the-face and a trivialization of a serious health problem that is a lifelong battle for many people.

Coincidentally, I just stumbled across this '6 Things Not to Say to Someone with Depression': http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/29/what-not-to-say-to-someon_n_4675854.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    This is the biggest load I've seen on here in a long time. Depression is a biological disorder, not a "weed" to be pulled from your "mind garden."

love the profile avatar!

and I'm not even agreeing with the OP

but not all depression should be evaluated or assessed the same way.......I mean being overweight to me shouldn't even be allowed to be a major depressive disorder.....EVER.

Of course if you are fat you aren't happy.............I mean come on......Clinically Depression by diagnosis should be that for having the symptoms WITHOUT A REASON for FEELING THAT WAY. Sorry to have to emphasis but some people aren't understanding that....

I'm not a doctor, but I don't believe that being overweight is diagnosed as a depressive disorder, ever. Clinical depression is due to chemical issues in the brain-which have nothing to do with weight - nor anything to do with having a reason to feel that way. I was exactly the same level of depressed when I was morbidly obese as I am now (just a touch above a healthy weight).
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    I have to agree, the suggested advice does work for some. Clinically depressed (these are the people that usually it is a chemical imbalance), it won't work for. Those that are clinically depressed and experience an "episode", you don't know you've been hit with it until the suicidal thoughts start. And once diagnosed as clinically depressed, if you are a lucky one that doesn't need to stay on meds, you still chance the smallest thing triggering it. It's literally like you've been covered with a huge black blanket, those really heavy thick kind of blankets. You can function if you're lucky but it's very slow motion in your perception. The light of positive thought does not get through that.

Yes, I'm speaking from experience. And yes, basically I try to trick my mind as often as I can but there are times that I cannot. I'm just starting to come out of one of those episodes. Exercise is working for me for several hours after I exercise, but the depression comes back and I have to repeat the process. Okay in the grand scheme of losing weight, this is a good thing but in regards to the depression, it's only temporary.

Depression is often misunderstood because people do believe it's all about the depressed person being a pessimist (ie it's all about attitude). I know I'm not normally a pessimist. I equate it to Tigger and Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh. Tigger is your normal, everyday happy positive person. And I shoot to be Tigger. But when I get hit with a depressive episode, despite what I try, I become Eeyore. I feel like "why bother, nothing will work", even when I've already proven that it does work. There are things I can do to make the episode duration shorter, but I know that I do have to do those things and work through the episode.

I don't say that the person who suffers from depression shouldn't take the advice. I don't say that the person who suffers from depression shouldn't get all the help they can get to control their disease instead of give into their disease. I do say that the outside world who doesn't suffer from depression, understand that it is a disease, not an attitude. And that those people learn to help the person who suffers from depression to fight it instead of treat it as the depressed person needs to change their attitude.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

love the profile avatar!

and I'm not even agreeing with the OP

but not all depression should be evaluated or assessed the same way.......I mean being overweight to me shouldn't even be allowed to be a major depressive disorder.....EVER.

Of course if you are fat you aren't happy.............I mean come on......Clinically Depression by diagnosis should be that for having the symptoms WITHOUT A REASON for FEELING THAT WAY. Sorry to have to emphasis but some people aren't understanding that....

Sorry, but you can't assume that just because a person is overweight that he or she is automatically unhappy.

And you are right to say that not all depression should be evaluated the same way - every person presents differently. But for the OP to post a topic that blares "THIS CURES DEPRESSION" is making a horrendously bad blanket statement by itself. Depression, from my standpoint, is a clinical illness that doesn't just go away because you perk up your shoulders, pick up your head, and whistle through life. It requires therapy, which can include practice in positive thinking - but must also include a medical approach in order to be successful.

The OP seems to be saying "Hey, just get over it and you'll be fine." Nothing could be further from the truth.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Depressed people don't smile or laugh. Therefore, a smiling or laughing person doesn't stay depressed for very long. Stand up, throw your arms in the air, put a big smile on your face and tell yourself how amazing things are going to happen to you, and then have a big laugh about it, and I guarantee that your depressing thoughts will not stay around to join the party. That's right! I'm telling you how to crash a pity-party.

If you don't think depressed people smile or laugh, you probably don't have a clear picture of the breadth and scope of how depression actually manifests in people.

Clinically depressed people usually still have the full range of feelings and emotions. Depression is an odd combination of despair/hopelessness/indifference/numbness, but amid all that sadness there are still moments of laughter and levity. They're just not enough to pull you out of the 'sad pit'.

And, if only it were so simple to 'just cheer up' or let positive people/activities change your mood and rub off on you, then there probably wouldn't be so many people struggling with depression.

You've oversimplified.

^^^^THIS.