What kind of dog do you have?

Options

Replies

• TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    5 month old Aussie Shepard (Red Tricolor). Her name is Kona. Only one dog at the moment, had 3 between my wife and I when we first met 8+ years ago.
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    olde victorian bulldogge, and a scrappy old mut.
  • JazminGowdy
    Options
    I have a Pugeranian. She's half pug and half Pomeranian.
  • naticksdonna
    naticksdonna Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    We have a Newfoundland, Jack, who is 11 (We lost his sister, Maggie Rose last summer) and we recently adopted a rescue dog, Lucy, who is approximately 2 years old and she is a "Heinz 57" and such a love.
  • TaurusV
    Options
    A Sausage dog, I mean small (dunno if mini/dwarf/those names or numbers) dachshund and I love him :)
  • annastasia_82
    annastasia_82 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I have one Blue Healer, Ellie, and one Chocolate Lab, Athena. They are both in my profile pic. I love those girls to the moon and back and 1,000 times again. They follow me everywhere and I wouldn't change it. They are the best walking/running companions a girl could ask for.
  • anwylyd_un
    anwylyd_un Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have a 75lb rott'n'lab called Iddie. He'll be 5 in June and still thinks he's a puppy who can fit on my lap. His main interests are food, sleep, food, tennis balls, food, de-squeaking squeaky toys, food, stealing socks, food …. extreme couch potatoing is his preferred sport, although sprinting down the garden to try and take out that damned squirrel that mocks him ranks right up there too.

Gotta love the daft bugger!
  • Building_Bulk
    Building_Bulk Posts: 20,596 Member
    Options
    A Lhasa Apso who some days thinks she is a cat.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Corgi mix. :)
    aed057bc-a218-49bd-a767-2ca19284d215_zpsb763a5cc.jpg

Pomeranian :)
    726a02f2-6a63-41d0-8283-346d10c53568_zpsdee35296.jpg
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    ^ What a beautiful dog!

We've always kept dogs and they've always been mongrels/rescue dogs. Would never buy a pedigree from a breeder when there are so many dogs in need of a good home. Although the best pure bred dogs are undoubtedly beautiful creatures.

To each his own... my dogs have always been registered purebreds.. I used to be active in dog shows.. ( Salukis and Clumber Spaniels.) Never owned a mongrel, and never will. The only rescue dog I owned was a show quality greyhound whose owner took her nearly to her championship, then got pregnant, figured the baby would take up all her time, so quit showing and gave away the dog. My show handler made the connection, and we had her for the rest of her life.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    You can't find a pure breed? Where are you looking? Grab a copy of Dog World and look up the many, many breeder ads. Do NOT buy from a pet shop, where the puppy mill dogs end up, and "I would never get a dog from the pound; you don't know what sort of physical and mental issues you'll get, or whether the dog is prone to genetic problems", hip dysplaysia being a big one in that breed. Go to a show breeder and find out the medical history. People who breed for the show ring breed for the best dogs, not the quickest buck..

i completely disagree with NOT getting a dog from the pound or shelter or foster care. they are the ones that need forever homes more. they aren't likely to be alive for very long. also, shelters do temperment tests and basic evaluations. so they would know medical and behavioral issues. you can also study on breeds before you adopt.
    getting from a breeder is almost as bad and getting dogs from a pet shop. many of those breeders don't care if their "cash crop" is healthy or not. they just want to sell them and make $. i know a breeder of bearded collies on my street, she has been doing it for 25+ years. the ONLY reason i would buy a dog from her is because i know her. I still will go to a shelter or rescue first.
    [/quote]

I said SHOW breeders. They are totally devoted to the quality and health of their dogs. I was one myself for many years ( Salukis and Clumber Spaniels). I would NEVER buy/adopt or a shelter or a rescue dog, as it's impossible they would have what I want; Clumber or Sussex spaniel, show quality, and of certain bloodlines. I see no reason to settle for less. Serious breeders don't make a profit on their dogs, they breed only from proven quality ( for me, it was champions only for breeding stock, and I turned down any home that did not have a fenced yard and knowledge of the breed.), and they breed to produce that nearly perfect dog, not to make a quick buck.
  • Mumble_Bee
    Mumble_Bee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've got my wonderful senior Akita, Razi~!

Razi6_zps02f2e6ba.jpg
  • livingfortheone
    livingfortheone Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Border Collie/Sheppard mix, Shi' tsu, Malteese (3 dogs)
  • daniellabella986
    daniellabella986 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Toy pomeranian named Cannoli. True story.
  • Tabitha_Faye
    Options
    I have a Maltipoo and a Schnoodle. :)
  • Mr_Competitive
    Options
    A boxer called Gus :)
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    getting from a breeder is almost as bad and getting dogs from a pet shop. many of those breeders don't care if their "cash crop" is healthy or not. they just want to sell them and make $.

... Way to generalize. Reputable breeders are NOT like this at all, and that person was promoting finding a reputable breeder. A reputable breeder spends FAR more money than they actually make. My mom used to breed Pomeranians. She invested THOUSANDS into those dogs (puppies and adults alike). Litters would be once every blue moon, and often only 1-2 puppies per litter. She would get about $800 . Compared to the Thousands she spent per year? Hahaha, you're joking, right? o.0

Reputable breeders spend a lot of time and effort finding good homes and taking care of their dogs. They have homes lined up for the puppies. Waiting lists of buyers that often wait for years just to get a puppy.

I'm not saying don't go to the shelter/pound. I think it's a good idea to do so unless you want a show dog or a working dog. If you want a pet, the pound/shelter is your best bet. However, don't discredit reputable breeders because of puppy mills and backyard breeders. They have nothing in common at all.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    A lab/collie/possible shepherd cross found pregnant and starving (no owner found), and a mostly white, with brindle patches terrier (terror) cross I suspect part pitbull rescue. My two cats have a love-hate relationship with them. I don't want to imagine my life without any of them.
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I have a welsh corgi, super sweet and a cuddler. Still loves to play and she'll be 11 this May.
  • ashleysarvi
    Options
    2 pits, one blue one brindle. they are my angels!