Replies

• jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    8 year old Doberman Pincher.
  • RockingGranny
    RockingGranny Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have a Boxer named Maggie :) She'll be 4 on Feb 13th (when you have kids you actually have to celebrate your dog's birthday!)

Ha-ha!!! We celebrate doggie birthdays at my house and our kids are grown!! :laugh:

I have a male brindle boxer named Toby.
  • BillyJan1992
    BillyJan1992 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    PUGS ALL THE WAY
  • lydiaannepage
    lydiaannepage Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Two energetic 18 month old black lab's named Diesel and Dozer!
  • RockingGranny
    RockingGranny Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Proud owner of the sweetest 'rescue' pit bull ever. Clyde the Wonder Dog. After only being with me and my daughter for two months he scared away an intruder who then went to a neighbors house and got 35 years for what he did to her. {{shudder}}

Wow that is scary! Thank God for Clyde the Wonder Dog.

I bet Clyde gets plenty of love and treats.
  • Rosytakesoff
    Options
    A pug and a dachshund-both spoiled rotten.
  • FitForRiding
    Options
    A Queensland Heeler, Rat Terrier and a Rotten Rotty (Rottweiler) Puppy who decided to go awol as I was getting ready to leave for the gym this AM. After tromping through the forest and hilly deer trails I came home to find her barking at me, UGH! Gotta Love Her!
  • Guinevere117
    Guinevere117 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Tinker5_zpsb78adad8.jpg
    Barney1_zps5f154585.jpg
    Rose2_zps7e4ec6e0.jpg

Tinkerbell (Chihuahua), Barney (Chug = Chihuahua & Pug) and Rose (Chug). :smile:
  • crissy_percival
    crissy_percival Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I Did Have 2 Dogs, Kelpie Cross Collie, And A Little Staffy In The Boy
  • kdb247
    kdb247 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Atomic Dog
    302347-family_guy_pop_lock_and_drop_it.jpg
  • RyanJK85
    RyanJK85 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    9 year old Jack
  • HDHogger
    HDHogger Posts: 764
    Options
    <~~~~~~~~~ Lab
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    You can't find a pure breed? Where are you looking? Grab a copy of Dog World and look up the many, many breeder ads. Do NOT buy from a pet shop, where the puppy mill dogs end up, and "I would never get a dog from the pound; you don't know what sort of physical and mental issues you'll get, or whether the dog is prone to genetic problems", hip dysplaysia being a big one in that breed. Go to a show breeder and find out the medical history. People who breed for the show ring breed for the best dogs, not the quickest buck..

i completely disagree with NOT getting a dog from the pound or shelter or foster care. they are the ones that need forever homes more. they aren't likely to be alive for very long. also, shelters do temperment tests and basic evaluations. so they would know medical and behavioral issues. you can also study on breeds before you adopt.
    getting from a breeder is almost as bad and getting dogs from a pet shop. many of those breeders don't care if their "cash crop" is healthy or not. they just want to sell them and make $. i know a breeder of bearded collies on my street, she has been doing it for 25+ years. the ONLY reason i would buy a dog from her is because i know her. I still will go to a shelter or rescue first.

I said SHOW breeders. They are totally devoted to the quality and health of their dogs. I was one myself for many years ( Salukis and Clumber Spaniels). I would NEVER buy/adopt or a shelter or a rescue dog, as it's impossible they would have what I want; Clumber or Sussex spaniel, show quality, and of certain bloodlines. I see no reason to settle for less. Serious breeders don't make a profit on their dogs, they breed only from proven quality ( for me, it was champions only for breeding stock, and I turned down any home that did not have a fenced yard and knowledge of the breed.), and they breed to produce that nearly perfect dog, not to make a quick buck.
    [/quote]

I see both points

I agree with getting a dog from a shelter because they need love as well.

But the kind of dog I wanted Samoyed I had to get from a breeeder. She bred these dogs for 20 yrs and she isnt making any money she does it for the love of the breed. She also show some of her dogs. I got my first Samyoed last Valentines day and the dog passed one month later because she had a liver shunt. The breeder was so kind and stood behind her dogs she offered to pay for some of our vet costs and she gave us another puppy. She was going to keep her for show dog but gave her to us. She's the one in the profile pic. Mila, she's the sweetest dog ever!!!!
  • I have a Shih-Tzu/terrier cross puppy ... Betty :)

She's the most amazing little thing even after the worst start in life, being dumped by her owners, she has a smile (OK, so it's an underbite, but it really does look like she is smiling!!!), playful and just full of love and cuddles.
  • Polda2010
    Polda2010 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Slabradors!! :-)
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    I would rather adopt a shelter dog then drop thousands of dollars on a pure-bred or a "designer" dog. Sure you don't know what you're getting with a shelter dog however you can't always be sure what you're getting with a purebred. We had neighbors who had 2 purebred German Shepherds and they were so inbred that I swear they were borderline retarded. We couldn't go out on our back deck because they would be outside, hear the door open and bark incessantly and for HOURS. Also every time my husband went over their house they would bark, snarl and snap at him as if they didn't know who he was.

Our first dog was a pound pup and she was the sweetest dog in the world.

Our dog now is a pure bred German Shepherd however we did not buy him. He was abandoned at the end of our road two years ago and although he is a sweet boy you can already tell that he's going to have issues when he gets older -- arthritis, hip displasia etc. -- from his breeding.
    She bred these dogs for 20 yrs and she isnt making any money she does it for the love of the breed.

She isn't making money? So she's just giving the dogs away then?
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I have two rescues. One is a sheltie mix. The other we aren't sure about - maybe sheltie doxie mix.

c10b653b-6949-4475-be1f-f4b89ec57124_zps53781c69.jpg
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I would rather adopt a shelter dog then drop thousands of dollars on a pure-bred or a "designer" dog. Sure you don't know what you're getting with a shelter dog however you can't always be sure what you're getting with a purebred. We had neighbors who had 2 purebred German Shepherds and they were so inbred that I swear they were borderline retarded. We couldn't go out on our back deck because they would be outside, hear the door open and bark incessantly and for HOURS. Also every time my husband went over their house they would bark, snarl and snap at him as if they didn't know who he was.

Our first dog was a pound pup and she was the sweetest dog in the world.

Our dog now is a pure bred German Shepherd however we did not buy him. He was abandoned at the end of our road two years ago and although he is a sweet boy you can already tell that he's going to have issues when he gets older -- arthritis, hip displasia etc. -- from his breeding.
    She bred these dogs for 20 yrs and she isnt making any money she does it for the love of the breed.

She isn't making money? So she's just giving the dogs away then?

To clarify she once made money but within the last few years she is losing money from the cost of showing, breeding and overhead.
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options
    Bullmastiff - Misty

photos
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Chiweenie.

She thinks she's a Rottweiler. She's not. Lolz.

1/2 Dachshund, 1/2 Chihuahua.

zmmadl.jpg