Are people helpless in controling their weight?

Options
123457»

Replies

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    This is probably the most arrogant thing I've seen you post.

And yet...
    Do I believe I got fat because of my genetics...NO. I eat and drink too much.

...we are in agreement.

No, you and I are rarely in agreement. I don't blame genetics for my weight. But to say genetics plays 0 role is either arrogant or ignorant. Your choice.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options

Regardless, 100 calories is nothing. You can easily burn that by standing up for a while instead of sitting.

Is this true?

Yes, if you stand long enough! The other thing is, standing tends to make people fidget more, use stabilizer muscles, shift their weight, etc. insome cases. Even sitting I move my legs and feet, upper body, etc. All the time. I've never had an overweight issue. It's been said that people who fidget more, burn more calories. I think that's reasonable. It's called "NEAT" -- non-exercise adaptive thermogenesis" and is the modern explanation for "fast" versus "slow" metabolism in healthy, hormonally balanced people.

In some cases, it can supposedly amount to a 900 calorie difference in a day between high-fidget people and low-fidget people. I don't know if I believe that extreme...but I definitely can see how there could be a few hundred calorie difference. Most of the studies I've read point to fidget behavior as a key difference between thin and obese people, other than caloric intake. And guess what...they claim fidget behavior *may* be...wait for it...influenced by genetics and heritable...

That sounds an awful lot like ADHD.
    It runs in my family. I drive the others at work crazy constantly pacing at my machine. I can see the extea 200 caqlories the pedomoter shows, but 900?? WOW
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    I'm late to the party here but my 2 cents, for what it's worth....

Large family studies have shown that obesity is around 50% heritable. This also means that 50% is environmental, which is something that we all have control over to a certain extent.

I do believe that weight control can be more difficult for some people for biological (genetic) reasons, but apart from rare situations, certainly not impossible.

It's fine to acknowledge genetics, but I don't believe that it's fine to let it define your success or failure.