WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2014

Options

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Drkatiebug, what happened to the Angle food ministries. I have recommended this to several people. I don't want to lead them to an organization that won't provide them with good food.
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi

:drinker: I'm feeling a little inspired - I think I may have lost 1lb :noway: :noway: :drinker: I usually weigh in every night time and then again in the morning ( yes I know - too much weighing) but last night I was down 1lb, I was so shocked I got on and off the scales about 6 times to make sure. Sure enough this morning the pound did not come back (mind you I was hoping it had taken another one with it :bigsmile: ) I wouldn't mind but I had a big slice of pizza last night too :embarassed:

Today I am going to be extra careful and eat well.

As I said I'm feeling inspired and decided to make at least one goal for February. I want to exercise every day. I'm really enjoying the DVD I bought last month - I've even had a go at the plank - gosh that is a hard one - my tummy muscles are non existent - I can last about 5 seconds :embarassed: but I have a rest and join in again. I don't usually set myself goals as I'm rubbish at keeping them. But I want to exercise every day for 28 days - it can't be too hard can it????

:flowerforyou: Loved reading about the memories of childhood, it made me wish I'd had a relative with a farm :laugh: I had a lovely childhood myself - for which I am grateful. DH was not so lucky and grew up in an abusive household as have so many others.

:flowerforyou: Heather - no signs of spring here in Yorkshire, it's so wet up here that I fear we'll grow webbed feet! We had a few hours of sunshine yesterday, but then late afternoon the rain started again, and it was blowing a gale. DD dragged me out to walk the dog with her, I feel a bit of a spare part now we only have the one dog, but she always gets me by saying "think of the calories you'll be using"

:flowerforyou: Michele you are always so busy, and so generous - you always giving food to the neighbours or food kitchens etc It took me a while to understand why your hubby thought you had forgotten where you lived until I read your post again :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Barbie thanks for keeping us all together. Enjoy the superbowl treats :drinker:

:ohwell: Better get a move on, so I'll say congratulations to all who are losing - a big well done from me

Prayers to the chap who fell off the ladder :heart: :heart:

Love to those who are suffering the loss of a loved one :heart: :heart:

:flowerforyou: Happy Birthday to the lady who's celebrated being 66 (:embarassed: sorry missed your name)

Take care everyone and thanks for being here.

Viv UK
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! :drinker: (coffee)

Grandmallie: glad your brother has a plan. Sure hope he can turn things around! It won't be easy, but maybe he'll feel enough momentum from the friends and the meeting.
    Meg: hope the improvement will become a trend (your cousin).

I'm down about a pound again, to 15 (despite the little chocolate accident last night). So happy!

Yesterday I went out to hang up a couple of suet balls and I'm enjoying sitting on the couch with my coffee and laptop, glancing at the birds. :smile:

Cynthia
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Wow-wee, I turned my back for a day and I'm behind 4+ pages. Did some quick speed reading.

As far as my goals for January, I'm feeling good about tracking my food (and staying within my guidelines) all but a few days for the month. I do not enjoy logging food but understand and believe in the importance of it for those of us trying to lose and improve our health.

I also feel good about getting back in track with my physical activity. While I did 50+ minutes at least 5 times per week, I realize that I need to up the intensity since my metabolism appears to be in a coma.

Sadly, I don't think I lost but maybe a pound or two all month as a result of my efforts.

FEBRUARY:
    Stick with food tracking and exercise goals from January.
    Increase exercise intensity.
    Add more weight training back into exercise time.
    Take my D3 regularly.
    Lose 5+ pounds.
    Get my Skinny Pop habit under control:ohwell:
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies

DH has gone off for a full day of hiking so I am at home today. I'm sorting through all my clothes. Golly, I have too many! My local charity shop are going to get a few sacks of (mostly) unworn stuff tomorrow. I wish you lot all lived nearby - we could have a great clothes swap.

I'm trying to eat beetroot. It's one of the few veggie type things that I really dislike but my doctor told me it's good for my gallbladder, so I'm chopping it up and hiding it in with my veggies and couscous. I'm eating four small meals a day now - again, doctor's orders.

Have a good day my friends.

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    You're definitely doing your best, Amanda! <thumbs up>
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Sorry, my son woke up and I had to run before I could wish everyone a happy Sunday and the strength, will power, determination and grace to exceed their February goals.

xo
    Gloria from cold and crusty Metro Detroit
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Hi you all
    Just no time to do all the catch up right now. Hubby should be home from coffee very shortly and I have nothing done nothing:laugh:

Yannie Jeannie
    My grandson told me once Gramma god didn't make everyone the same.
    So that is where you have a couple great friends that are your opposites.

Kay
    Sounds like you picked up great habits in Jan. Now carry them in to Feb.

Barbie
    Quinoa/rice is this a blend you buy or do you make your own.
    Guess the chicken don't get stuffed.

Jane
    Have to love nurse practioners mine is great.

Alison
    So glad your brother is working on getting his life together.
    And anything we enjoy on this journey is not bad.
    We are allowed to live.

MA
    A cut back in working hours can be taken in different ways.
    I think your way is best. Looking forward to more free time.

Katla
    I did a lot of walking in around the house put timer on stove for 5 min.
    And walked around in circles Doc don't want me walking more than 5 min. at a time.
    Darn pedometer stopped when it got to 600.
    So finding more you time letting go of a secretary post.

Sandy
    81 lbs New you for sure. Congrats.

Joyce
    So your day has been planned for you.
    Heck we went to Myrtle beach years ago.
    Stayed there overnight going to Louisianna.
    Paid 19 dollars for a motel about 1 block from the beach.
    That was in Jan. Slow time of the year.

Well that's all the time I have for here right now. Must get started to my day.
    Let's make today a great day. Wii smiled at me this morning.

See you all lighter
    Linda in Northern Ontario.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Joyce, Angelfood Ministries has been shut down and is no longer available. The owners were using the profits for their own gain. I'm not sure if it was considered embezzlement, misappropriation or what the exact terminology was. At the least they were misrepresenting themselves as a non-profit and were profiting greatly. I think they are in prison now. Our church was a distribution point for the food and provided a great service to our community. The people miss it. My DH would never let us donate part of our tithe to it, because he said he didn't trust them. Shows how smart he was. I thought he was just being his usual pessimistic self.

Somebody posted a link to a story about it back in the January thread.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Well I did it!!!!:love: I got up in time to go to church now for the second time. I think I had a pretty decent night's sleep also. I am not used to getting up this early at all. It will take a major change if I ever get up in time for Sunday School. But I know that's the way to get to know the people at a new church. So I am on the computer to help me wake up so I can take a shower. see how you guys are helping me through this!!! You are helping me to wake up:heart::flowerforyou:

drkatiebug, the site I found is something exactly like angle Food but is called eatwellsomething or other. Or something like that. The menu is the same, the whole format is the same. Has multiple distribution sites.

Supposed to start snowing in a couple of hours. Wouldn't a clothes swap be so neat between us!!!!! I love it.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    hellofriends.gif

:bigsmile: : Hello to all the great friends who have been part of this thread and welcome to all the new friends we’ll be meeting this month.

:flowerforyou: The name of the thread is Women Ages 50+ but all women are welcome.

:love: How did you do on your goals and resolutions for January?

:love: What goals and resolutions have you planned for February?

:glasses: I like to make resolutions that I can reasonably expect to accomplish.

January Resolutions (with end of the month comments)
    *dance at least three dances a day for extra practice (not so much at the beginning of the month but a lot more at the end)
    *yoga twice a week (three times would be better)—(some stretches but no formal practice for the last three weeks)
    *play with Bernie the cat at least 5 minutes a day (not every day, but often)
    *don’t take things personally (excellent)

February Resolutions
    *restart strength training from the beginning
    *yoga once a week
    *submit tax materials to accountant
    *update important information list
    *act the way I want to feel

:flowerforyou: Please join us even if you don’t make monthly resolutions. Connecting with other women on the same journey has helped me lose weight and keep it off.

:drinker: I hope we’ll continue with the custom of signing our names (or alias) and location to make our sharing more personal.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful chilly NW Washington where the days are getting longer

I'm over 60. I keep my sugar (try my best) at 10 percent of my calories, which is 30 grams and use my kettle bell for at least 15
    minutes each day.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity
  • Lauriesongs
    Lauriesongs Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm just one month in and lost 9 lbs, but know that I'll start losing more slowly. I can use all of the support I can get! I'll do my goals,etc. later, but wanted to mark this thread so I don't lose it!!
    Laurie from St. Charles Missouri - just outside St. Louis
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies! I am inspired by you. :flowerforyou:

May I join you?

My Feb. goals:
    1. Log all food that passes these lips!
    2. Exercise 3 X week (seriously!) minimum
    4. Avoid stress eating!!!
    5. Less coffee, more water!

Sharon in chilly IL!
  • Poppy338
    Poppy338 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies from sunny Bradford, England...

I am 1 month into this plan and I have lost 7lbs... I am so pleased with myself..

A lot still to go but I have gotten myself a swimming pal and try to walk as often as I can.. Very painful on feet with arthritis...

My goals for February.

Stay on track and keep logging in my food and exercise.
    Get myself a flat.
    Keep walking and going to my leisure club to swim and cycle.
    Keep praising my wonderful Father God..

Hoping to lose another 5lbs at least this month too.

Good to see all your journeys here and will try and keep coming back to you as often as I can make it..

Poppy338 :smile:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Kay: Congratulations on tying your own shoes! :bigsmile: PT can be a real blessing. DH didn’t like it but he gained a great deal of mobility when he went.:flowerforyou:

Viv: Congratulations on your lost pound!:flowerforyou:

Cynthia: Congratulations on your lost pound. I like watching the birds at our feeder, too. In my case, they’re hummingbirds drinking sugar water.:flowerforyou:

Gloria from Metro Detroit: Don’t be sad about losing a pound or two all month. It comes off slowly if you’re doing things right. Crash diets are crash and burn diets. Nobody can make permanent changes for the good that way.:flowerforyou:

Amanda: I like pickled beets in salads, but am not crazy about the fresh ones. They make wonderful additions to soup, though. They add color and a dash of sweetness. Hiding beets in couscous and among other veggies is a good plan.:wink::flowerforyou:

Linda in N. ON: Five minutes of walking, rest, and five more minutes of walking adds up. I’m sorry you have such a big challenge to your health, but I think you’re just the person to work your way through it and back to better health.:flowerforyou:

Joyce: A clothes swap is a monumental idea. I donated my too big clothes to the senior center thrift shop. The shop helps to support meals on wheels and other activities of the senior center. I happened to be there one day when they were having a sale, and saw that a lot of people were shopping, including men, women, and teens. I feel pretty good about contributing. DD loves to buy second hand clothes in good condition and has ever since she was in middle school. She likes her closets packed. I’d rather wear a few things over and over than stuff my closet. Everyone is different. There aren’t any “right” or “wrong” answers.:flowerforyou:

Joanne Moniz: Welcome to the group. Where are you from?:flowerforyou:

Laurie from St. Charles MO: Welcome!:flowerforyou:

We have plans for fun today. We’ll visit the Chinese Garden and enjoy some of the Chinese New Years activities. There is a tea house that I’d like to visit for tea and almond cookies. The tea house may be full, so we’ll be taking our chances. Because this is the Year of the Horse, they also have miniature horses on display courtesy of a local club. There will be Lion Dances, martial arts demonstrations, and the beauty of the garden itself. We visited the Chinese Garden for the first time during Chinese New Years a few years ago and have been members ever since. I was astonished at how many blooming plants they had in winter. I planted a few winter blooming things in my yard, and have two bushes including a Camellia blooming right now. They bring such pleasure. :happy: After our visit to the Chinese Garden we’ll go to a Murder Mystery dinner theater performance that was a Christmas gift from DD. I’m looking forward to the day. I've been trying to make reservations for over a month, and they finally had two seats available.:bigsmile:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Move more: cardio at least 3 days a week and strength training as soon as I am able.
    3. Water: According to an article I saw on facebook, drinking water at certain times maximizes its effectiveness for the body. I’ll work toward following these guidelines:
    * 2 glasses of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs
    * 1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - helps digestion
    * 1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lower blood pressure
    * 1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! It's still icy and cold here. Hubby has offered to drive me to the studio in a few minutes so I don't have to drive on icy roads. Such a sweetie!

I must have gone a little nuts yesterday because I went way over on my calories, but still below when I added my exercise, so this morning I had not gained. Whew! Not a great way to start the month. I think it was two 100 calorie fudgescicles that did it. Today I won't get to the Y, so I'd better watch it.

I did not sleep much last night. Finally got up about 5:00. Hubby wasn't sleeping either. Not sure why. We didn't go to the lake cabin yesterday because of the ice, and so it was a little strange to be here on a Saturday night. So today I feel tired.

Welcome to all the new ladies. I'm looking forward to hearing more about each of you.

Sylvia, in southeast Kansas
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy groundhog day.
    Thelma`s wake is today.
    HUGS
    jane
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Well, it's the BIG day.........the one we've all been waiting for...........DRATS!!!!! Six more weeks of winter. As a Pennsylvania native (long gone), I apologize but take no responsibility for that dammmm rodent.

Anyway, on to the other big thing..............BRUNO MARS!!!!........should be a great show!!! As for the game.......since the Coyboys aren't in it, I'm going for the SeaHawks, just a guess, and with a 50% chance of being right, those are better odds than the lottery.

Those of you with the 2 winter storms coming, you have my sympathy; after being stuck in the house for varying numbers of days the past two weeks, I am OVER winter!!!! Most winters we don't see even one single flake. Yesterday we had a good melt and I can now see actual ground instead of snow. My daffys popped up uder that snow and are up three inches!!!!! I can't tell you how happy seeing them makes me; it's such a promise of Spring.

LinC..........Gramma god; loved that!!! Out of the mouths.........

Nancy..........I'm sooooo happy your DD picked the instate school. As far as food goes, my DDs college food program had a bigwig chef who made fantastic meals they all loved.............out he went with cost cutting her second year and now they have some absolutely horrible food service--"Avodark" or something like that, which in the past 2 1/2 yrs. I have heard nothing good about from ANY of them...........of course, that could just be the contrast with the chef.

Best to all,
    yanniejannie
  • seamom
    seamom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies of the 50+ club, I am new to this posting so I am not sure anyone is actually even going to read it or if it will even show up. I am back to using MFP after a long break and several pounds gained. I know what is needed to change my behavior and get healthy, but I haven't been consistent. I seem to gain and lose the same 15-20 pounds. I am on a path to stick with a healthy lifestyle now as the birth of my grandson is any day. The spirit of my grandmother has been around me (not literally, but in my thoughts) as I approach my 55th birthday in June. She died suddenly one evening when she was only 55 years old. She so loved being a grandmother, but didn't get much of a chance to be one (I was only three or four at the time). I don't want to miss out on being there for my daughters and especially for my grandson. Sorry for being so verbose. I am working on my "change" partner list as well as "support" list. Thanks for responding and for sharing your journey. Sarah:heart:
  • Kayzoola
    Options
    Well, I ate too many sweets and today my toes hurt. I think there might be something to the sugar-arthritis connection. While I was doing better avoiding it my digits were fine.

DD is doing her online school, and I bought her the 30-day shred DVD to use for her PE credit. She did one session, and was so sore! I suppose I should give it a try too, so I have an idea what I am doing to the poor girl.

My garden looks dumpy and bedraggled, but I did find some quince to bring inside to force.

Hubby is waiting for me to go for a walk. Go Seahawks!

Kayzoola (PNW USA)