WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2014

Options

Replies

• swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I have reached my goal, back before Christmas and my family swears I do not need to lose another pound. So I am toying with the idea of stopping MFP and seeing how I do. After 700 some days, nearly two years, I think I will feel lost without it. I still think I could stand to lose a little more. I am thin but the stomach area still has visible fat. I now weigh 147 pounds and having lost an inch to age, my height is 5' 7". It seems to me that most of my pals here have either left or they have all lost interest in my progress. I seldom get a comment on my diaries and one or two if I have a good burn exercising. What do you think I should do?
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Happy February my friends.

First of all, swat1948 - stick with it! Even after I reached maintenance I kept on logging (in fact I have only missed one day since I joined back in April 2010 - and that was the day I had my heart valve replaced!) I find that logging just makes me more mindful of what I am doing. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

I'm at work and expecting a busy day so I can't write much more. Will try to drop by again later today if I get a moment.

Have a good weekend - a great one if you can manage it!

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,341 Member
    Options
    Good morning from lovely sunshiny Hampshire!
    Terrible rain and wind last night, but we should be in for two decent days now.:bigsmile: Snowdrops under the apple tree, hellebores under the birch and an iris has popped up in the front. Spring is on its way!:happy:
    Anamika - lovely to hear about your National Park.

Barbie - thanks for starting us off again.:flowerforyou:

Meg- many good wishes for Bert. Those head injuries are the devil, as I know you know. It took months for a friend of mine to get back to normal after he fell over ice skating.

Linda - stick with us. Though 9 lb in 20 days! Wow!:flowerforyou:

Pat phoo - Welcome back.:flowerforyou: Let's hope Feb is better and your SO gets the help he needs. I love your posts.

Jane - thinking of you over the next few days.

Nancy - 13 lbs! WTG!:flowerforyou:

Katla - my fish and eggplant dinner was so delicious DH said it was fantastic and I was a genius! (I think he is a keeper:wink: )
    Actually I am no a genius, I am just good at following recipes.:laugh:

Tonight I am keeping one of my February goals which is to try a new recipe from the Hairy Dieters. It is Lamb Tagine, and includes chick peas, sweet potato, tomatoes and apricots. I don't normally like meat and fruit mixed, but I will try it out as it's getting hard for me to find something new. :blushing: :tongue:

I am still having a few after effects of the tummy troubles, but this morning I have taken some Imodium as a last resort. Strangely I seem to have gained a lb, but I ate quite a bit of cheese last night, so v salty.

DH'S team is not doing too well recently.:cry: He has a home game tomorrow up in North London so I will have the day to myself. I hope he will be able to chat to his nephew who has the(probably) autistic child, if the nephew can get to the prematch pub. Unfortunately it's a bit difficult as the nephew's dad is there, DH'S sister's ex, and he is not an easy character. DH doesn't feel comfortable talking with him there.

Next Wednesday we are going up to London to help DS babysit the two GC while their mother does a day's work. I am going to make some zucchini tots (skinnytaste.com) as DGS wolfed them down at Christmas. They were the first thing he reached for on the plate! They went down very well with the adults as well as a canapé with chilli jam.:laugh:

Love to all. Heather in sunny and sprouting Hampshire UK:drinker:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,341 Member
    Options
    Hi again,
    Just changed my main photo to show a jug of spring flowers on my kitchen windowsill.
    Actually they sre artificial, but they still lift my heart!
    Heather in sunny Hampshire UK
  • tazgirl1960
    tazgirl1960 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Bump, still sick :sick: :sad: :sad:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,793 Member
    Options
    Morning my friends,
    Joyce- I use the laughing cow garden vegetable wedge on my salt free rice cakes,split one wedge between 2 rice cakes and it is 125 calories.
    Oh if you all knew how crazy I am over Heron's you would think I had lost my mind(which I probably have ):bigsmile:
    have photo's of Heron's that I took to Florida in December,I found a Heron Jacket on Ebay many years ago,cannot find it now, so took it to a tailor to have taken in, I have Heron sweatshirts and t shirts, most of them to big for me,that I gave to my DB/DSIL and they wear them with pride.
    I wear a pair of Heron earrings that are in flight and they are never taken off
    waiting for the laundry to go through the wash and then will chuck it in the dryer..
    trying to create a shopping list as I will go grocery shopping tomorrow.Had my lemon water ,now having my tea
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Barbie :smile: Thank you for our February thread:flowerforyou: !!!

Pat (Phoo) :smile: So glad to see you back:bigsmile: !!!! Sounds like you`ve had a difficult January! Hope you pop in more often, I really enjoy your posts!

Joyce :smile: I would put the cheese on a few crackers:love: !

Meg :smile: Prayers to Bert and the entire family:flowerforyou: !

Juanita :smile: Are you feeling better:flowerforyou: ?

Jb :smile: So nice to see your post!!!! The months are flying by aren’t they:ohwell: ?

Michele :smile: How long did you stay out yesterday:huh: ? I get tired from just reading all you do!!! I`m so glad they finally approved your reclast!!! It`s supposed to be nice this weekend as far as temps go….it will feel like a heatwave:love: !!

Sylvia :smile: A sea of big white birds….sounds beautiful! Any new news on the custody issues?

Linda G :smile: Welcome! Come in often and chat with us! 9 pounds in 20 days is marvelous!!!

Susan :smile: A BLT salad sounds delicious!!! I don`t have bacon often just because of the sodium:grumble: ! I`ve never dunked crusty bread (which I love) in bacon drippings, I have dunked it in good olive oil with a sprinkling of fresh cracked black pepper:love: …yummy!!!

Patsy :smile: So nice to see your post:flowerforyou: !!!! Sounds like your January was extra busy!!! I`m so ready to see 70 degrees!!!!

Katla :smile: Hope you slept well!!! Goals look good!!!

Nancy (Christchild) :smile: Congratulations!!!! You made lots of changes and stuck with it all, I admire you!

Lin Hi:flowerforyou: !!!

Anamika :smile: I wish I had been with you at the National park, it sounds just beautiful and peaceful:love: !!!! The 5:2 fasting sounds interesting, it may be something I do, need to research it a bit more. Let us know how you`re doing on it!

Renny :smile: It`s nice your mom has perked up some:flowerforyou: !!!

Swat1948 :smile: Congrats on reaching your goal:bigsmile: !!! Only you can decide if you want to stay here and continue to log. I will probably be here forever logging my food. I think it keeps you accountable, I certainly don`t want to gain back what I`ve lost, and logging is a way to see it in black and white! Maybe you need to focus on toning instead of losing more, lifting weights maybe? There are several ladies here that lift, I`m sure they could give you more information!

Amanda :smile: Hope you have a great weekend as well!!!

Heather :smile: Dinner sounds good:love: !!! Hope your tummy continues to improve!

Yesterday was a hard day, one of my friends, a women who has treated me like a daughter since my mom died, lost her only granddaughter, she was only 23 years old, she had a pulmonary embolism several years ago, and had been in a nursing care unit, she got pneumonia last week and was too weak to fight it off. Such sad news, prayer service is tonight and funeral is on Monday. I can not imagine losing one of my granddaughters, my heart is just broken for her:brokenheart: :cry: !

On that sad note I will sign off….

Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in sunny and warmer NC
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I just had an early lunch of vegetables, couscous and hummous. Fingers crossed that I don't get pain!

x
  • askewcr
    askewcr Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies!

I just found this thread. I'm pumped to be joining. January was great/bad for me. I lost 6 pounds but gained 4 of them back. (Now how crazy is that?) February will be my month to get back on track eating healthy clean foods and getting all of my water in. I like the goal I saw of 2 glasses of water when you get up, a glass before lunch, before dinner, before bed, etc. I also plan to "move" this but a little more. :laugh: I'm 52 and today is a new day. I am encouraged!

By the way....What does "bump" mean?

"It's a brand new day...What will I do with it? :flowerforyou:
  • tammytylerjones
    tammytylerjones Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Welcome February! After a challenging January with the weather, etc., I'm going to try and be more consistent this month. I'm already happy to hit the boards here on the actual First DAY of the Month!
    Here we go! Wish me luck as I wish you all consistency and great health!!

xoxo
    tammy
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Here I am again.

Meg
    So sorry to hear about a family member. Hope Bert is doing better. Brain injury takes a long time. Prayers are with him.

Dee
    Oh my to lose a granddaughter how heart wrenching that would be.

Well I certainly didn't reach my goal of seeing under 200 I did but didn't hold on to it.
    To many days of feeling sorry for me. Hey look around me there's worst than me out there.
    So no more why me. Just do the best of this heart problem.
    Today I took out my diabetic cook book started a journal called it. Eating healthy for my heart.
    Going to go back to journaling my food in here.
    Ok I can't exercise but I can watch how and what I eat.
    So it's all about me. So be it.
    I also put my pedometer on and will work on getting at least 2000 steps for beginning.

See you all lighter.
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I hit reply to fast.
    See you all lighter
    Linda in Northern Ontario.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Amanda: Your lunch menu sounds like a good one. Fatty foods are a problem and I don’t see any to worry about. I had problems from nuts and cheese when I was waiting for surgery. I eat cheese now but am still wary of nuts. I’ll have them, but in tiny portions. Let us know how you do.

Askewcr & other Newbies: Welcome! This is a great group. Let us know where you’re from. Bump is a way to mark your place in the conversation and ensure that this thread will appear under “my topics.”

Nancy in MI: Congratulations on your weight loss! WTG. I’m curious how you will replace baking powder and baking soda in cooking. I just read the labels and both contain aluminum, which has been linked to Alzeimers. My own DGM developed Alzheimers in her old age, and I am highly motivated to avoid it. None of her children had it, PTL. We dumped our aluminum cookware in the 1970’s and replaced it with some cast iron, and also stainless steel.

Anamika from Mumbai: Let us know how the intermittent fasting works out for you. I have been told repeatedly that you can’t target “fat loss” successfully, so I’ve just concentrated on exercise that helps to build lean muscle. It has worked for me.

Renny: Thanks for checking in. It is good that your mom has perked up.

Swat1948: I encourage you to stick around for support. I reached my goal and am working to learn how to maintain my new weight. I don’t foresee giving up MFP, this thread, and the friends I have made here as long as it is possible to continue. I lost a bunch of weight in my thirties and then went back to old bad habits and ended up gaining every bit back, and then some. I plan to count my calories and check in with this group for the foreseeable future.

Heather in Hampshire, UK: I am seeing signs of new growth in my garden, too. After our severe (for us) cold in December I was afraid my plants in pots would all die. The little miniature rosebush in a flowerpot has new buds all over it and most of the blueberry cuttings I tried to start are showing signs of life. I expect to replace all of my fuchsia baskets, though. They’re tropical plants and didn’t have the protection of roots being planted in the earth.

Alison: What is a laughing cow garden vegetable wedge? I love herons, too. One lives in our neighborhood and we get to see him regularly.

DeeDee: Prayers for your friend who lost a granddaughter.

Tammy: I hope we see more of your posts this month.

JB: I’m glad to see your post this morning. Dog walking may be your exercise some days. As long as they get you moving, it counts. Post when you can.

Meg: Prayers for your DH’s cousin.

I know I’ve missed quite a few people, but I’m out of time to post. Count your calories and move more. Have a great day.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Move more: cardio at least 3 days a week and strength training as soon as I am able.
    3. Water: According to an article I saw on facebook, drinking water at certain times maximizes its effectiveness for the body. I’ll work toward following these guidelines:
    * 2 glasses of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs
    * 1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - helps digestion
    * 1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lower blood pressure
    * 1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Have a great sat.
    Getting 5-10 in of snow today.Yikes.
    Have a good one.
    Goals-keep working on loosing wt.
    Exercise.
    Be grateful for what I have.
    HUGS
    jane
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Ah, realized it's February and found the new thread. :laugh:
    @Joyce, my two cents about your friend's dogs are in my last reply in the January thread.

Cynthia
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Here to good health in February,:drinker:

Welcome newcomers.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Barbie thanks for keeping this going. :flowerforyou: Go Seahawks!

Deedee :drinker:
    :flowerforyou: Sorry for your friend’s loss. It is never easy when one so young dies.

Meg prayers for DH cousin. Falls from ladders are serious. Head injuries worrisome.

Alison we live near a park and in the summer if we are lucky we get to see Blue Herons.

Joyce it is amazing what some of these drugs cost. We don’t always know unless we ask.

Heather love the cheery flowers. That is why I have flowers in my picture. It was taken at the conservatory in our city.

Linda off to a good start. You can do this.

February goals:
    Limit a meal to 600 calories /snack 250
    Mindful of posture and breathing
    Staying healthy is a marathon not a sprint.:smile:
    :heart:
    Margaret
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Katla, I just read the labels on my baking powder and baking soda and didn't see aluminum in either one. Is it hidden in there with a different name? Those chemical names confuse me. I stopped using aluminum cookware after reading about a link to dementia several years ago. My grandmother was never diagnosed, but she thought grandpa would be in from the field any minute, and he had been dead for 20 years. Of course, I don't use baking soda because of the salt, and the baking powder I use is the potassium one. Maybe that is different.

Linda, keep on aiming for Onederland. Don't give up! I have six pounds to go before I hit 200, so it probably won't be in February either. But I will be close if I hit my goal of five pounds this month. But I'm hoping my total lost will hit 100 this month.

Hubby and I braved the icy streets this morning to go swimming at the Y. It was so nice! We had the pool all to ourselves. But I wore my swim suit under my clothes on the way there and had forgotten to put undies in my swim bag, so after swimming I showered and dressed in just my outer clothes. It felt really strange to come home wearing no underwear. I told hubby not to have an accident because I did not want to have to explain to emergency personnel why I wasn't wearing underwear!

No word yet on the custody issue. They go to court on Monday, but it's just a meeting with the two lawyers and the judge at this point. My son doesn't even have to be there this time.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Sylvia
  • jojoloser
    Options
    Hello ladies,
    Just joining the thread; hoping for motivation and support. Would like to lose 30 pounds by eating better and getting into an exercise routine. Loved reading all about you ALL!
    Best wishes for a skinner YOU!

JoAnne in Southeastern PA
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good morning, I just have a few minutes - a very large truckload of manure is scheduled to arrive this morning and be deposited in our driveway. Red and I are busy getting the gardens ready for spring, every few years we add a considerable amount of fertilizer. Many wheelbarrow loads and lots of shoveling in my future today and tomorrow, thus the profile pic..."How to Shovel Manure and Other Life Lessons for the Country Woman" :laugh:

No loss or gain for me this week, I'm happy that I've stayed the same, but in attempt to lose a pound or 3, I'll have to work harder next week! I simply must cut calories again. I've done a pretty good job of cutting out wine on weeknights, I didn't think I could do it! But I challenged myself, and voila! :drinker: I replaced wine with POM (pomegranite juice) and fizzy water with lime. Trouble is, I don't like iced drinks in the winter time. Oh well, I'll survive. I guess I could wear gloves. Ha!

Swat, congratulations on reaching your goal, that's fantastic! Staying active with MFP will help you keep track of your progress with maintenance. Adding a few new friends might help you! :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Oh dear DeeDee, I'm so sorry. I know you must be devastated. :brokenheart: Sending you lots of love and good cheer. :heart:

Have a great Saturday everyone. I'm off to attack the pile. :tongue:

:smile: jb in cloudy but not rainy Portland
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Wow, Joyce. Your trips to visit relatives in rural Minnesota sound exactly like ours when I was a kid. (Except for the pig chasing maybe :laugh: ) My relatives lived in MN too, and we city kids loved going there in the summer to visit. My dad usually drove straight through from Michigan while we slept all over the back of the station wagon...no seat belts in those days. Loved the memories your story brought back!

Phoo...great to hear from you!

Meg...so sorry about your dh's cousin. A friend of mine fell off the roof onto cement at Christmas time while putting up lights....got distracted and just stepped right off! He is slowly recovering from a lot of trauma to his body. I don't think he hit his head hard though.

I just got home from zumba so I need to go clean up. Enjoy your weekend...and good luck to all super bowl fans.

Eileen near San Diego