WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2014

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Good morning!:heart:

Joyce, stay safe in the snow!:heart:

I emailed DDIL and DS yesterday to say we couldn't mske it tomorrow unless it was a dire emergency, in which case we'd drive up. Haven't heard back so I hope they aren't p××××d off with me.:embarassed: :ohwell: I didn't sleep at all well, feeling bad, but it seems an amazing amount of struggle for four hours of 'help'with the grandchildren. No tubes, or very much reduced, and no parking to get the train. But part of me asks, am I being a wimp? I will ring DS today if I don't hear. Really don't want to drive as you can imagine the traffic round London with a tube strike. 2, 000, 000 people travel into London every day by tube.

Yoga this morning. Hope that will take my mind off things. I am trying to practice my mindfulness, but not having a lot of success.:frown:

Vicki - you are looking GOOOOOOOOD!

I seem to be putting a sodium lb on and off recently. Annoying as i want to lose another lb. Will try to be good today. Turkey burgers tonight. I stretch them with some spinach mixed in. Delicious and v low in calories. I usually make enough to have one for lunch the next day in a sandwich.

Off to get ready. W I eeting tonight. I have signed up for the lace making demo. :noway:

Love Heather in damp Hampshire UK with intermittent power cuts this morning!:sick:
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good luck with the transportation and power, Heather.

Cynthia
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies

Well, tonight is the start of a 48 hour tube strike. Ouch. I'm going to attempt to walk to work - it will take about two hours each way. I'm just hoping that my knees will be able to handle it. My only other alternative is four buses, which would probably take me about an hour and half with no guarantee that I would actually get on due to the world and his wife trying to do the same thing.

At least it's exercise!

Spoke very briefly to DD#2 this morning. She's not sleeping well now that the baby is almost here. Oh, I remember those feelings. Not being able to get comfortable and then, just as I was about to drift off, having to get up to go to the loo.

It's a bit drizzly here in London but at least it's not torrential rain at present (maybe I shouldn't speak too soon!)

Have a great day my lovelies.

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Amanda...I feel for you. I would probably not be able to walk for two hours.
    Is a taxi an option for part of the journey?
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,753 Member
    Options
    morning ladies,
    was awake alot last night,so didnt get to the gym, we got 5-6 snow yesterday, going to get 6-9 inches tomorrow and then a bigger storm coming Sunday night,gees louise I am sooooo done with this snow..
    I have been slacking lately, im back up a couple of lbs, but not horrible,I just have been running around and not really getting so enthused about working out..
    going in to work at 9 so gotta scoot and get my lunch and the DH lunch ready..take the boys for a walk, stop at the dump,post office and drop the check off at the town hall.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good morn all. We are expecting another winter storm to start later this afternoon with freezing rain tonight ,then 6-10" of snow. Can't stop it,so......we'll get thru it. .Did some stock up shopping yesterday & also bought a SodaStream at BB&B. That is a story :laugh: or should say,there were a couple stories .

In grocery, Told DH to sit down & I would meet him there after checking out at a self service register.OK,I get 1/2 done when clerk says,"did I know that register is for credit card use only"? :noway: :noway: So,long story short,I put all back in basket,went to a diff register (had to wait in line)........... Then very kindly had clerk come back to make sure this register would take cash? Then,start over, & of course my change came out,but where was my $12 in bills.:grumble: OK,here she comes....again.....unlocks....or tries to,gets on speaker & boss type finally comes by & unlocks it. Whew !!! I start to roll cart & there is poor DH looking lost,he knew I had been a good while,so was looking for me.

Stopped for a sandwich (not planned,but ok),got all unloaded & put away.Then took SS out of box,it was missing instruction book,registration card & couple other parts. :noway: :noway: DH called & upshot was,I drove back & exchanged for another one.They opened it too be sure all was included.Home again & too tired to do anything. Had been gone nearly 3 hrs.Later,I made root beer & worked fine. :flowerforyou:

Of course this morn,just knew scale was going to show a loss:smooched: of course I was wrong. :noway: Ah well,no gain so I will take it.You all have a great day. Making Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana soup in slo cooker here. Pat in Ohio
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Enjoyed my yoga! But I did still worry most of the way through it.:ohwell:
    Got home to find an email from DS saying no probs and thanks for trying! They want to come down and stay this Friday or the next, couldn't work out which one he meant, as the building work is going to get v intense. If it's the 14th I can do a Valentines themed dinner! :laugh: :tongue: , but DH will be at football on the 15th. He will still have most of the morning to play with DGS and I will be 1st reserve.:laugh: :tongue:
    Feel very relieved. I remembered during yoga that I really, really, REALLY resented my mother for cancelling coming up to help me with my new baby because she "only had 2 weeks holiday and didn't want to waste a week"! ! ! ! :explode: :angry: I then remember hoping that the baby wouldn't be a girl as I didn't want to perpetuate the female line! ! ! ! The baby, Kate, was stillborn. :brokenheart: :brokenheart: :brokenheart: No wonder I felt bad about not going up to London.:cry:

Now I have identified the cause of my guilt I feel much better. Also my son doesn't hate me.:tongue:

Amanda - good luck tomorrow! The weather isn't going to help. Strong winds and rain. Wrap up and stay dry!

Love to all and thanks for listening to my angst.:flowerforyou:

Heather in Hampshire UK
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

No time this morning:sad: ! Have a wonderful day!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Good Morning!

I'm still shaking my head at the thought of walking 2 hours each way to work! I do love to walk and MIGHT be up to that sort of challenge in nice walking weather but it sounds like a nightmare to have to leave over 2 hours early to get to a job and then get home 2 hours late, possibly drenched and cold.

Headed out to Zumba shortly. My instructor was hired as an official rep of Zumba and just got back from training in LA. Can't wait to see what she brought back.

Over snacked last night...what else is new, but didn't go over calories by too much. Should balance it out with the extra calories burned in Zumba today.

Going to try to do more than "skim" a little later.

Happy Day,
    Gloria in Metro Detroit
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good morning.........chilly here but going up to 40. Will be seeing "American Hustle" finally this afternoon; it's been on my list for a few weeks. Have to make out a few checks for bills and get them in the mail also today.........and a bit of laundry and clean up; still haven't read the paper either.

LinC............I'm in your club of eating badly yesterday; last night I polished off 6 (yes 6) biscotti and 3/4 bag of chips. College graduation is coming up and I NEED to get back under control; but everything that means DD is getting farther away (physically and emotionally) always sends me into a tailspin.....I know this is the cause, but knowing and doing what I should be doing are 2 different things. On the bright side, I can only do better today, fingers crossed.

Sandy...........I'd trade picking up DH's used toothpicks which end up all over the house (just picked up 2 from the end table) for your daughter's habit; although that would be frustrating too.

Heather............Glad all is well with your son; I can see how you would be bothered by those past events..........but your mom's reasons were way different and quite hurtful.

Gwen just called; need to go over straighten out her meds; she confused this am on them.

Good luck to all in the path of the bad weather.

yanniejannie
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Joyce: Your parents definitely raised you right! WTG!:flowerforyou:

Cynthia: Thanks for the Olympics update.:flowerforyou:

Heather: I can’t imagine voluntarily driving in London during a tube strike, or any time. I wouldn’t voluntarily drive in New York City, either. Seattle is bad enough. Why are there intermittent power cuts? Are they weather related? I’m glad things are working out well with your DS. A Valentine themed dinner sounds like fun.:heart::flowerforyou:

Amanda: Good luck with getting to work safely. Are bikes a possibility in the area where you’ll be commuting? A bike would cut the time and effort for a two-hour walk dramatically and be easier on your knees. Bikes in the rain aren’t fun, but neither is walking in cold rain. If the strike continues on for a while you might think about it.:flowerforyou:

Alison and all those in the path of continuing show: I think it would be so much fun to have a snow day or two, but not weeks of them. Stay warm and safe.:flowerforyou:

Patceoh: What is a soda stream? I’ve didn't know there are check out lanes that don't accept cash. Is this one of those automated systems? I’ve never actually used one. I’m a political soul and never use a checkout system that eliminates a worker’s job. Your soup sounds wonderful!:flowerforyou:

Yoga today! Yay!!! I will have to miss Thursday’s class due to DH’s medical appointment. Yesterday I walked the dog home from the grocery store, about three miles, and today my knee is sore. I was walking pretty fast and must have been pounding it. I like to walk fast. I guess I’ll just take some advil and deal with it.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Move more: cardio at least 3 days a week and strength training as soon as I am able.
    3. Water: According to an article I saw on facebook, drinking water at certain times maximizes its effectiveness for the body. I’ll work toward following these guidelines:
    * 2 glasses of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs
    * 1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - helps digestion
    * 1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lower blood pressure
    * 1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Katla,

SodaStream is a gadget that makes carbonated water,soda etc. both my DDs & Grdau have them. DD in Fl loves drinking bubbly water,her hub likes the soda. I bought mine in self defense,before she showed up with one for me. BB&B is great about returns,so if I don't use it,back it will go.

Our big grocery chains have hardly any help,don't know if it's connected to self serve,tho Prob does.A couple wks ago in Walmart,5 pm,there were only 2 cash registers open.Was the longest I had ever waited in line & made a point of telling the mngr why I wouldn't be back.:sad: As if she cared. :noway:

Has been a while since I made the soup,but had it started by 8 am,supper is done & so is house.Enjoy the yoga,thinking we are home to stay for a few days. Pat in Ohio

"Patceoh: What is a soda stream? I’ve didn't know there are check out lanes that don't accept cash. Is this one of those automated systems? I’ve never actually used one. I’m a political soul and never use a checkout system that eliminates a worker’s job. Your soup sounds wonderful! "
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Yannie Jannie
    One day at a time. Don't look at yesterday don't worry about tomorrow. So that leaves you what today. Today is all that matters.

Well got caught up on all the reading didn't take notes but it's 10:00 am and sure not many steps on the pedometer for I've been sitting here for two hours. So it's off this chair and get some steps in. Hard to get 2000 steps sitting in a chair.

So out of here and on to a good day. Wishing you all the same.

See you all lighter
    Linda in Northern Ontario.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Snowy Tuesday,

Skimmed the last two pages, sounds like a lot of you are going to be having more cold and snow...stay warm and stay safe:flowerforyou:

Amanda~ two hours each way to get to work....well the good part is that it will be exercise. Hoping that your knees hold out:flowerforyou:

Over the weekend we had our counter in the master bath removed (Thursday night), new granite counter installed (Friday afternoon) and Saturday we spent the day installing the faucets. We aren't very fast and it took us almost all day to get them in. The next thing to get done in our master bath is to refinish the cabinets then paint, now sure when we will do it as there are still a lot of boxes that need to be moved from the garage inside...one box at a time...it will get done.

Sunday I spent it doing some prep work for baking and prepping some meals ahead of time so I can fix them quickly or put them in the crock pot. Tomorrow will be veggie soup with this cold and snow it will be perfect weather for it.

Went to the Chiropractor yesterday afternoon, I've been going three times a week since early December my right arm was in so much pain I just couldn't handle it, turns out it was a pinched nerve/disk. I've been pain free since the first week of January and they said that I have 7 more appointments and they will discharge me. I've been going during work hours as my boss owes me so much vacation time and money that I figured this was a way for me to get the time off. The only bad thing about that is not having as many hours in the office and not getting everything done that I need to.

I best get to those papers. Hoping everyone has a good productive day, eat it and log it, drink plenty of water and let's keep moving:drinker:

Laura in Colorado:smile:
    2199216 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wow I'm so amazed and awe struck by all the weight lost. I have been doing terrible since I joined. I know I need to log on every day and I don't. So my plan is to log on every day no matter what for this month. I am hopeful that I can lose the weight.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I did well for my January goals. Took off 8 lbs. Didn't overeat. Logged all that I ate. Went for physical therapy 2 - 3 X a week and did my home exercises.

My goals are the same for February. To log my foods, stick to the plan, not overeat, go to physical therapy, and exercise at home. I can't wait for spring so I can start to get some outdoor exercise. I am so tired of snow, snow, snow.

I think I should add as a resolution to move around more. I'm disabled and use a wheelchair outside the home, so I don't move around that much, other than my PT and home PT exercises. With all the injuries I've had the past two years on top of my original disability, I have spent the past couple years in a chair almost all the time. So, I need to somehow remind myself to move more inside the home, even if it's just to get up, go into the living room and come back to my office (in my home).

And I also need to work more on the book and workbook about training the mind to think like a thin person's.
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    We have a soda stream and use it every day.:love: I :heart: fizzy water! Sometimes I mix it with hibiscus tea (cold) and sometimes I put a few drops of Angostura Bitters in it. Then I think I'm having a "drink!" :drinker:

I loathe automatic check out. I have never done one without someone having to help me.:embarassed:

We had FIVE power cuts this morning!:grumble: :explode: :grumble: Only lasted a minute or two, but as soon as I've reset the clock on the cooker and phone it goes off again! It's not even very windy!

Yanniejannie - big hugs for you ((((((((♥)))))))).

Bye again, Heather x

PS Just ordered some chocolate heart decorations to put on cup cakes for Valentines. The cakes are made and in the freezer so that will make things easy.DDIL loves chocolate.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy mon.
    Want to say thanks for all your love,prayers and support as I said goodbye to my dear friend Thelma.
    I love you all!!:heart::heart: :heart:
    HUGS
    janer:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: Hope those in the path of the storms stay safe and warm. Supposed to be cold here but little snow. The wind is the worst part of it.

Heard from pulmonologist yesterday regarding sarcoidosis in the bone marrow. He has put me on high-dose prednisone for one month and then I go in for more tests and see him. I am not looking forward to this as the last time I was on prednisone I started having night sweats and sleeplessness after about 7-10 days on the drug. Then I get cranky!:grumble: It also raises my blood sugar and increases my appetite so the second half of February is going to be a real challenge food-wise. So please all of you beautiful ladies send me strong thoughts.:happy:

Heather - Glad things have worked out with your DS and you will get to see the little ones soon.

Sylvia - I agree with others that was a very inspirational post. Thanks.

I am off to eat something and then to my massage. I received a gift card for my birthday:bigsmile:

Healing angels to those who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD
  • AnneCarolOne
    AnneCarolOne Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. I am still struggling to get back on track after my unexpected set back last October. The infection has become chronic and is setting my recovery back. If this latest round of antibiotics doesn't work, I may be facing more surgery. On the good side though all the doctors and dietician are very pleased with my diet regimen and say it helps my recovery. I am not supposed to worry about weight loss, but to concentrate on getting well. Now I need to knuckle down and get serious about exercising. I have been a little remiss with that and this support group. Here's to better times!:laugh: :laugh: